Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,979

Re: Woj: Smart to Memphis 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:07 am

Well we got our vet. We still need a starting SF and are down two 1sts now. Not sure how I feel about this.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,293

Post#3 » by Darthlukey » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 am

Guys, he is volatile and will lose you games. But he will play hard and win you a lot of games too! Enjoy the roller coaster than is Wicket Smaht
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,544

Post#4 » by durden_tyler » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:30 am

Darthlukey wrote:Guys, he is volatile and will lose you games. But he will play hard and win you a lot of games too! Enjoy the roller coaster than is Wicket Smaht

Stop using the word volatility on us— we just got rid of a dumb volatile player in Brooks so we’re good with Smart.

Great acquisition for the culture… we can only hope he’s a great mentor to our young guns especially Ja.

Jones will be missed but he sh*t the bed in the playoffs, so that was his ticket out…
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,979

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:34 am

Darthlukey wrote:Guys, he is volatile and will lose you games. But he will play hard and win you a lot of games too! Enjoy the roller coaster than is Wicket Smaht

The Brooks Experience 2.0
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,683

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:51 am

durden_tyler wrote:Great acquisition for the culture… we can only hope he’s a great mentor to our young guns especially Ja.

Is it possible Smart is an insurance policy to potentially replace Ja?
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 7,152

Post#7 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:36 am

I'm so sad to lose Marcus, I absolutely love him. Every player has weaknesses but his will to compete is second to none and he is a pretty good floor general IMO.

Great guy and should provide some much needed guidance in your current situation.

I think you guys will love him.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,544

Post#8 » by durden_tyler » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:12 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Great acquisition for the culture… we can only hope he’s a great mentor to our young guns especially Ja.

This move assures that when Ja gets back he gets someone that can teach him about maturity. i don’t see Ja going anywhere after this trade.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#9 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:23 am

I am sure you can imagine how I feel about this trade. :lol: :)
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Post#10 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:54 am

The sacred part to me: It reminds me the Godfather’s advent.

Now salary cap management: Smart will save us money as he is supposed to replace both Brooks 11mm and Tyus 15m.

Obvious: We got better defensively.

Now identity: We got a new generation of the GNG identity with Smart replacing Brooks who once replaced Tony Allen.

Now market: it looks horrible to us given how many teams are looking for a big wing. Those available might cost fortune. Smart is a smart, relatively cheap solution for now.

Now salary: bringing a wing would mean that we are stuck with 4 players 30mln each. It would be tough to swallow.

Now youth: we saved the room for development of ZW, LaRavia, Roddy. Any new big wing would kill it.

Now value: #25 2023 has no value to me, personally. The prospects in that range look like garbage, pardon my French. The GSW pick has some real value, though some might argue that the Grizz fans have overhyped it a bit based on one bad season of GSW. Wiggins, Curry, Klay, when healthy, are unlikely making this pick even lottery.

Now trade future value: i see it also as a consolidation trade. Tyus is an expiring contract, he is not a starter. Smart is a proven leader and starter on a reasonable 3y contract. He is the next level trade asset good to have when an opportunity finally presents itself.

Now Tyus: I don’t care to be honest. He is a great person and player, but he was a 6th man in most regards. Never played a primary role or was a true leader. All of that was on Ja’s shoulders which ultimately hurt him.

Now, Godfather effect. Replacing Smart’s personality with KP’s personality in the locker room? I dunno Boston. It happened once with Tony Allen’s departure. Smart is supposed to bring the balls and bone which the Godfather brought once and, in my opinion, his arrival saved this franchise and created the Core 4: it is TA who made three soft guys like Conley, Marc, Zach legends.

To conclude, we have become better by filling in quite a few critical holes at the high, but reasonable (yes, still reasonable) price. Any significantly better improvement would come with similarly significantly higher costs.

Now grade for FO: B+
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:22 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

It would certainly give some assurance in case of emergency.
Hitman88
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#12 » by Hitman88 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:23 am

Can Smart and Ja play together?
Both are very poor shooters
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#13 » by jefe » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:45 am

Tyus for Smart is about the only proposed Tyus trade with which I was ok. I wish we had managed to send only one first and a second or two given how relatively well our front office has drafted even at the end of the first round - but I can live with giving up two firsts especially when all signs indicate that the GSW pick won't be anything special next summer.

We still need to acquire a wing, and absent a move for a lower value guy like Dorian Finney Smith, it would seem that we're angling to acquire one with the MLE in free agency as we don't really have many trade chips left.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:17 pm

Hitman88 wrote:Can Smart and Ja play together?
Both are very poor shooters

Very?
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 pm

jefe wrote:Tyus for Smart is about the only proposed Tyus trade with which I was ok. I wish we had managed to send only one first and a second or two given how relatively well our front office has drafted even at the end of the first round - but I can live with giving up two firsts especially when all signs indicate that the GSW pick won't be anything special next summer.

We still need to acquire a wing, and absent a move for a lower value guy like Dorian Finney Smith, it would seem that we're angling to acquire one with the MLE in free agency as we don't really have many trade chips left.

With the acquisition of Smart, I expect our youth will be given the first half of the season as an opportunity to occupy the wing position.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:21 pm

Kudos to psman2 for exploring the Smart for Jones trade idea for quite some time.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#17 » by boogiesdad » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:24 pm

Up until this, the team has done really good on moves minus their talent evaluations prior to the draft. Tyus was capable of 20/10 as a starter. He’s shown that repeatedly. Where there some defensive gaps, yes. Smart fills those gaps, and if he can reclaim some of his scoring prowess from the NCAA, like when he killed the Tigers, it seems like a fair heads up trade to me. Smart can be a defensive beast, even better than Brooks, just two inches smaller. What I don’t like are the 2 1st round picks to help the Celtics afford the player they wanted. Make no mistake, Smart for Tyus is almost a heads up up trade based on the needs of a team.

Now this team is going to have to have to be aggressive in FA. We need a solid wind that’s not just a 3 and D. The team must get creative to make this happen quickly without destroying the base of the team. The team still needs another PG and I think he is already sitting in Memphis reasdy to go, in Kendrick Davis. Smart will not make up 25 points the team is missing in JA, but the position must or you put too much on Bane and JJJ.

With all of the defensive stalwarts on this team now , the team needs a big time scoring wing and Kuzma looks to be the perfect fit. Jerami Grant is and option, but he is more 3/D. Or float to a Harrison Barnes that might come cheaply as he haha been so underaged for years.

Just seems to me that for Tyus and 21st rounders, we could have ravaged a rebuilding team for more than what we got in Smart
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,683

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,973

Post#19 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:22 pm

esvl wrote:Kudos to psman2 for exploring the Smart for Jones trade idea for quite some time.

Yep I am on a three year roll. I predicted this one a month ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2294441&hilit=Smart

On top of that I predicted the Melton to Philly trade and the Val/Adams deal too on here. I am ready Zach for that assistant GM job.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:26 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:Kudos to psman2 for exploring the Smart for Jones trade idea for quite some time.

Yep I am on a three year roll. I predicted this one a month ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2294441&hilit=Smart

On top of that I predicted the Melton to Philly trade and the Val/Adams deal too on here. I am ready Zach for that assistant GM job.

That’s *** impressive. So what’s next? All-in for DFS?

Return to Memphis Grizzlies