Today in Tennis: 6/19/08

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,476

Today in Tennis: 6/19/08 

Post#1 » by Slava » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:05 am

I've thought about starting a thread dedicated to the day's events leading upto the wimbdelon with news and snippets added here to foster some discussion.

With the busy ATP/WTA schedule, this should be a nice idea to keep up with the current happenings. Any contributions will be welcomed. :D

Federer's grasscourt streak: 59 & counting

HALLE, Germany -- Roger Federer just wanted to survive a couple of rounds at the Gerry Weber Open after his painful French Open loss to Rafael Nadal.

The top-ranked Swiss did much more, beating Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 6-4 in Sunday's final for his 10th grass title. That matches Pete Sampras' Open-era record on the surface and takes his unbeaten streak on grass to 59 matches.

To further boost his confidence, Federer sailed through the Wimbledon warmup tournament without dropping a set or his serve.

"I'm really excited; I think that's the first time in my career I won a title" without losing serve, Federer said. "That was very special -- and I'm very proud to keep my streak going."

Djokovic: Federer vulnerable at Wimbdeldon

"Some things are changing. I think he's a little bit shaken with that loss and mentally he has been struggling in the last couple of months," Djokovic said Wednesday. "It's normal to have ups and downs after four years of absolute dominance on the men's tour.

"New names are coming, fresh talented players who believe more they can win against him and I am one of them," Djokovic said. "Suddenly he is worried a little bit."

Wozniacki upsets Kuznetsova at Eastbourne; Mauresmo withdraws

EASTBOURNE, England -- Top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova was upset 6-2, 6-2 Wednesday by Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki in the second round of the Eastbourne International Women's Open.

Need the scores from any match played in this or any other tournament? Results
The Wimbledon warmup event lost another top player when Amelie Mauresmo retired with a thigh strain while leading Samantha Stosur 2-1.

Mauresmo, who won the 2006 Wimbledon title by defeating Justine Henin, said she felt her injury after she broke Stosur in the opening game.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to General Other Sports Talk