Roland Garros 2012

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Re: Roland Garros 2012 

Post#101 » by cb4_89 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
cb4_89 wrote:But in Federer's "prime" he didn't have a prime Rafa and a prime Djoker to deal with. A slam now is much harder to win than in 2004. That is true for any player.

Hard for me to see how that's a specific rebuttal to my points. Just feels like I keep addressing your points in depth again and again and you aren't rebutting mine, just continuing to focus on a simplistic idea that I'm taking pains to demonstrate the flaws of.

I get your points but they aren't really valid for my judgement of the GOAT. Yes Federer overall was better than a 19-20-21 year old Nadal. He would also be better today. My view is that prime Rafa is better than prime Roger. Roger is not a shell of his former self even now, let alone in 2007-2008.

I think Roger was/is mentally weak more than he declined in 2007-2008. He knew he was unlikely to beat Rafa and that was it. It started affecting him in other matches too. Hell look at Novak this year, he has a worse record this year but you can't say he is declining. Sometimes things just don't go your way.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#102 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm

what a joke
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#103 » by cb4_89 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:00 pm

At least Nole has played well enough to not embarrass himself. He has broken Rafa a bunch of times. I am hoping this goes 5 sets.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,698

Post#104 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Suspended again. Interesting how Djokovic actually came out after the first suspension with a clear head, and that makes such a difference.

Rafa was getting super petulant. He's upset he has to play in the rain because it kills his topspin-high-bounce advantage, and also minimizes his advantage due to superior clay court instincts. When they finally call it he whines that they might as well keep playing now that they've done it for an hour...despite the fact that the 2nd stoppage may very well be the reason why he wins this match.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#105 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:02 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:While we're waiting, I just want to say that I really like Johnny Mac as a commentator. It's great he's so self-deprecating about his on court tantrums and he's got keen, honest insight. Very likeable.

Absolutely, and I've always been struck by how everyone's insisted that he is a nice and generous person...he just gets angry too easily.

By contrast Jimmy Connors, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything nice about him. :lol:

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#106 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Doctor MJ wrote: When they finally call it he whines that they might as well keep playing now that they've done it for an hour...despite the fact that the 2nd stoppage may very well be the reason why he wins this match.

Do you really think he didn't want the match stopped and thought "they might as well keep playing"? No, of course not. He was mad at the guy for making them play the last hour, and was making the argument that the weather had been bad for an hour, nothing had changed - to point out the silliness of the decision.

Djokovic wanted it stopped as well.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#107 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:21 pm

cb4_89 wrote:I get your points but they aren't really valid for my judgement of the GOAT. Yes Federer overall was better than a 19-20-21 year old Nadal. He would also be better today. My view is that prime Rafa is better than prime Roger. Roger is not a shell of his former self even now, let alone in 2007-2008.

Okay so this is more on point.

What's frustrating for me is that I'm explaining to you why your assumptions about Federer's career arc are unfounded, and then you just come back saying basically that you don't believe.

Consider this: What is it exactly you would expect to see if your assumptions about these players arcs was incorrect? I mean, Federer's record against non-Nadal/Djoker opponents has regressed more than Nadal's record against non-Fed/Djoker opponents has improved since 2005. Federer's also positively ancient by tennis standards which mean everyone should expect he isn't what he used to be.

The evidence for what I'm suggesting is very clear, what is your evidence in the other direction?

cb4_89 wrote:I think Roger was/is mentally weak more than he declined in 2007-2008. He knew he was unlikely to beat Rafa and that was it. It started affecting him in other matches too.

See, when you reason like you've done here, you can literally justify anything.

What's even worse about this is that Federer's clear fall off in early 2008 had nothing to do with Nadal. I mean, he lost to Djokovic at the Aussie, and had lost 4 matches before April, none of them to Nadal who he was clearly superior to in 2007. To me, given that Federer would eventually surpass Djokovic again quite cleanly for several years, and that Federer had mono at the time, the answer is pretty clearly a combination of his physical aging and being sick.

But whatever your explanation, I can't think of a bigger copout than that he all of a sudden got scared of Rafa given that all of this happened at a time when Federer had just slaughtered Nadal in the most recently played match.

cb4_89 wrote:Hell look at Novak this year, he has a worse record this year but you can't say he is declining. Sometimes things just don't go your way.

You're missing out on a clear middle ground which to me is the obvious explanation: Sometimes you're in a groove, and sometimes you slump a bit, maybe for mental reasons, maybe for physical reasons you don't tell the public.

Now, you're using this to say "You shouldn't assume that Federer was going downhill because he was progressing through a normal career arch", and I'm with you that there is always a bit more than that going on. However, you should also assume when we are talking about a 30-something 6 years removed from his best season that the dude is in his decline. To do otherwise is to build up a superhuman stature of Federer for an analysis that belittles his peak.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#108 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:27 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote: When they finally call it he whines that they might as well keep playing now that they've done it for an hour...despite the fact that the 2nd stoppage may very well be the reason why he wins this match.

Do you really think he didn't want the match stopped and thought "they might as well keep playing"? No, of course not. He was mad at the guy for making them play the last hour, and was making the argument that the weather had been bad for an hour, nothing had changed - to point out the silliness of the decision.

Djokovic wanted it stopped as well.

I'm calling him petulant because he implied he wanted to keep going when he really wanted to stop, and he did this just because he wanted to vent frustration.

As far as the decision, I'll admit that I'm no expert. However, the reason for the quick yank on other surfaces is that they become so slick it's an immediate danger everywhere on the court. Clay isn't the same danger, and so officials have never been super quick to pull the plug. This means an agonizing decision for a referee who knows damn well it's in all financial interests to keep the match going as long as possible.

For Nadal it's just a tough break because the relative safety of clay courts means that they'll let the court absorb a good amount of moisture without stoppage, and the result of that it court conditions that become progressively worse for him.

mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#109 » by mjba » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:29 pm

woah. it's heating up.

EDIT: and prime Federer>prime Nadal on anything other than clay, IMO
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#110 » by 5DOM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Guy just wanted to catch second half of Spain game
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#111 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:As far as the decision, I'll admit that I'm no expert. However, the reason for the quick yank on other surfaces is that they become so slick it's an immediate danger everywhere on the court. Clay isn't the same danger, and so officials have never been super quick to pull the plug. This means an agonizing decision for a referee who knows damn well it's in all financial interests to keep the match going as long as possible.

For Nadal it's just a tough break because the relative safety of clay courts means that they'll let the court absorb a good amount of moisture without stoppage, and the result of that it court conditions that become progressively worse for him.

The conditions were bad, it had been raining for an hour, both players were slipping and sliding and both wanted a stoppage. Seems like an easy decision to me.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#112 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:39 pm

So to just chime in on peaks in general here because I feel I haven't done this:

I consider what Djokovic did during the clay court season leading up to Roland Garros significantly more impressive than anything that Federer did in that season. It was during this time that I started talking about the possibility that we would be seeing the GOAT tennis season from Djokovic.

This took a serious blow in my book when Djokovic lost to Federer at the French given that Federer was the man he was supposed to be surpassing. However, I still kept on with the potential season GOAT narrative, as evidenced by the posts and thread I made.

Nola though really fell off at season's end, and when you add it all together, it's hard for me to see ranking what Djokovic did last season ahead of Federer's 2006. I'll certainly agree it's close though.

I came into this season ready to watch Djokovic put an even more complete season together to make me forget about that late season falloff...but he hasn't done anything like this. It seems quite clear, that Djokovic this year isn't going to have anything like the Federer-McEnroe-ish season dominance that he approached this year, and that is something I take seriously.

When I talked about Djokovic winning 8 in a row, it was with in mind: What would it take for me to ignore the non-major failure and conclude he was playing better than anyone ever despite the inconsistency?

The answer is that clearly he has to not only win majors by the bushel, but he has to do it for a long enough period of time with superior dominance that I'm convinced that he's got an ability to "turn it on" at majors more so than the players who cam before him. And I can't see doing that just because he wins a single match more than Federer without any care for the context involved. (Example: weather).

None of this means though that I've got a hard and fast opinion that Djokovic is clearly inferior to Federer. I just think the jury is still out, and I'm cautious to champion the new guy above previous champions when there are clearly results of his that are less than the standards set by previous champions.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#113 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:As far as the decision, I'll admit that I'm no expert. However, the reason for the quick yank on other surfaces is that they become so slick it's an immediate danger everywhere on the court. Clay isn't the same danger, and so officials have never been super quick to pull the plug. This means an agonizing decision for a referee who knows damn well it's in all financial interests to keep the match going as long as possible.

The conditions were bad, it had been raining for an hour, both players were slipping and sliding and both wanted a stoppage. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Okay, well that's nice.

I roll my eyes at Rafa here because when someone goes up to him and tells him something that literally might save his bacon, he whines. "I don't even want an ice cream cone any more!"

btw, it's not like I don't roll my eyes at other players. Djokovic breaking the sign during this match is pathetic and he should get penalized for it. And having played competitive tennis, I can tell you that I was never as immature as I was when I was losing a match by playing badly. No other sport came close to my frustration in tennis.

So I apologize if it seems like I'm just picking on Rafa, but there's a special kind of silliness to bitching at your savior because he didn't come as quickly as you wanted.

Ill
RealGM
And1: 1,275

Post#114 » by Ill » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm new to tennis. Always enjoyed watching it, but have been watching this French Open in a more dedicated way. Why is it so frowned upon to break a sign or throw a racket like Djokovic did? Seems a bit silly to not let the players show any emotion.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#115 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Ill wrote:I'm new to tennis. Always enjoyed watching it, but have been watching this French Open in a more dedicated way. Why is it so frowned upon to break a sign or throw a racket like Djokovic did? Seems a bit silly to not let the players show any emotion.

Well actually, for the most part the players get to do what they want to be honest.

The fans dislike damaging rackets though, and from my perspective, the primary reason is that for 99.9% of the people watching, they'd love to have that racket. I've seen angry player go through and smash a bag full of rackets one by one. Thousands of dollars worth of equipment destroyed in 2 minutes. To put it lightly, this is not going to make people like you. It's going to make you look like a spoiled little brat.

The damaging of the sign bothers me because he's literally destroying someone else's equipment. I mean, if a basketball player went over to the sideline, grabbed one of the cameras and purposefully destroyed it mid-game just because he had missed a shot, how is that acceptable behavior?

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#116 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:07 pm

The match needed to be stopped, but Rafa was whining A TON during those first couple of games in the fourth set, screaming the match needed to be stopped. Then he complained that the match was stopping 1. after the conditions had been the same for awhile, and 2. after he won his first game in the last nine games. He wasn't bitching and moaning when he was up a break in the third with the conditions the same.

Second of all, why so early tomorrow? It will start at 1 PM Paris time tomorrow. Congrats, no one will be watching it.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
raptor21_85
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#117 » by raptor21_85 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
I'm calling him petulant because he implied he wanted to keep going when he really wanted to stop, and he did this just because he wanted to vent frustration.

As far as the decision, I'll admit that I'm no expert. However, the reason for the quick yank on other surfaces is that they become so slick it's an immediate danger everywhere on the court. Clay isn't the same danger, and so officials have never been super quick to pull the plug. This means an agonizing decision for a referee who knows damn well it's in all financial interests to keep the match going as long as possible.

No, Nadal was complaining because he thought the game had to be stopped 1 hour ago.. he told the referee.. "I told you one hour ago the court is not in good condition, and now you act like you've just realized"..

The problem was that during the first suspension, they didnt cover the court..

Nadal was mad, Tio Tony was mad as well.. he called out the ref with a sign..
Ill
RealGM
And1: 1,275

Post#118 » by Ill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ill wrote:I'm new to tennis. Always enjoyed watching it, but have been watching this French Open in a more dedicated way. Why is it so frowned upon to break a sign or throw a racket like Djokovic did? Seems a bit silly to not let the players show any emotion.

Well actually, for the most part the players get to do what they want to be honest.

The fans dislike damaging rackets though, and from my perspective, the primary reason is that for 99.9% of the people watching, they'd love to have that racket. I've seen angry player go through and smash a bag full of rackets one by one. Thousands of dollars worth of equipment destroyed in 2 minutes. To put it lightly, this is not going to make people like you. It's going to make you look like a spoiled little brat.

The damaging of the sign bothers me because he's literally destroying someone else's equipment. I mean, if a basketball player went over to the sideline, grabbed one of the cameras and purposefully destroyed it mid-game just because he had missed a shot, how is that acceptable behavior?

Ahh thanks for clearing that up.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#119 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am

raptor21_85 wrote:No, Nadal was complaining because he thought the game had to be stopped 1 hour ago.. he told the referee.. "I told you one hour ago the court is not in good condition, and now you act like you've just realized"..

The problem was that during the first suspension, they didnt cover the court..

Nadal was mad, Tio Tony was mad as well.. he called out the ref with a sign..

Well I do fully understand that he was yelling at a guy because he didn't think the guy made the correct action soon enough. If we ignore the specific wording, are you saying this was what you would call mature, professional behavior? You want to say this is no stupider than the stuff Djokovic or Federer have done, that's fine, but don't tell me this was smart.

With regards to bringing the tarp out, etc, look I don't know. It's entirely possible the guy doing his job blew it. I also won't be shocked if I learn later that there was reasoning behind it that makes sense from Roland Garros' motivations. One thing I just keep thinking about is that the sooner that match gets suspended for the second time, in all likelihood, the less amount of time people watch this match (Ain't nobody watching tomorrow, they're losing tons of money). It's probably not the man's job to preserve ideal court conditions so much as it is to maximize the amount of time the match can be played on Sunday without physically endangering the players.

va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#120 » by va-mos » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am

Nadal leads 6-4 6-3 2-6 1-2.
Nadal 29 winners, 23 unforced errors.
Djokovic 33 winners, 40 unforced errors.
Total points won: 97-all.

Hope we get a 5-setter. It's only fitting. This is the most historically significant tennis match in history :D

Return to General Other Sports Talk