All Things Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,619

Re: All Things Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#21 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:19 am

Does the Denver trade signal we are more likely to spend our cap space this offseason ? On an FA ?

So project at 11 . A decent piece in FA . And try get home court or at least not the play in ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,323

Post#22 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:40 am

Devilanche wrote:Does the Denver trade signal we are more likely to spend our cap space this offseason ? On an FA ?

So project at 11 . A decent piece in FA . And try get home court or at least not the play in ?

I would be surprised if we are a top 6 team in the West. We kind of overachieved last seasont tbh...team was healthy all season and played great. It could happen but I feel it's a bit unlikely.

I don't think the Denver trade changes much about what are going to do in this draft or this offseason. I can see Presti going both ways: giving a 2 years big contract to a guy like Brook Lopez or take bad contracts for picks and maybe trade for another FRP in this draft.

I think next season is mostly about improving with our current core and see what we have in Chet so I don't expect major moves. It makes perfect sense tbh since we are a bit ahead of schedule but I hope we will still take advantage of Shai's prime and make bigger moves in the next offseason.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#23 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:02 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Does the Denver trade signal we are more likely to spend our cap space this offseason ? On an FA ?

I would be surprised if we are a top 6 team in the West. We kind of overachieved last seasont tbh...team was healthy all season and played great. It could happen but I feel it's a bit unlikely.

I don't think the Denver trade changes much about what are going to do in this draft or this offseason. I can see Presti going both ways: giving a 2 years big contract to a guy like Brook Lopez or take bad contracts for picks and maybe trade for another FRP in this draft.

I think next season is mostly about improving with our current core and see what we have in Chet so I don't expect major moves. It makes perfect sense tbh since we are a bit ahead of schedule but I hope we will still take advantage of Shai's prime and make bigger moves in the next offseason.

West is pretty open once you get past the top 3-4 teams. We just need relative health on our better players and a jump from a player or two to try and get into the top 6 . And probably improvement in the team 3 point shooting % .

The top end of the free agency is we will end up with KP or cam Johnson . The low end , is there any PF that we can absorb ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#24 » by jake_swivel » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:06 am

I like naz.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#25 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 am

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

West is pretty open once you get past the top 3-4 teams. We just need relative health on our better players and a jump from a player or two to try and get into the top 6 . And probably improvement in the team 3 point shooting % .

The top end of the free agency is we will end up with KP or cam Johnson . The low end , is there any PF that we can absorb ?

fair enough.

Damn I don't want KP. I know he's a good player and had a fantastic season but I just hate the guy :-?
He would be a great fit though but between him and Chet, the injury risk gonna be so high.
I still think PJ Washington makes a ton of sense...can shoot and defend multiple positions (doubt the Hornets won't match an offer though).
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,321

Post#26 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:00 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

If healthy, I don’t think top six in the west in unrealistic at all. There just aren’t the super teams that there were in years past. This years Denver team is great but they aren’t like the peak warriors. The fact that they are the clear best team shows a lot about the league.

Lots of the names we are used to hearing are becoming too old to really strike fear. Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, George and Steph are all still good but not at their peak and can’t stay healthy. I wouldn’t let recency bias fool me on the lakers. They have a lot of issues going in to the offseason. Players like Luka and Giannis (I know he’s in the East) are still young but play on teams that are asset depleted. Ja and Zion are both disasters.

We are one of the few teams that should be better without having to make any major moves. I can see how top six in just possible but probable.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,990

Post#27 » by Xatticus » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:16 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

If healthy, I don’t think top six in the west in unrealistic at all. There just aren’t the super teams that there were in years past. This years Denver team is great but they aren’t like the peak warriors. The fact that they are the clear best team shows a lot about the league.

Lots of the names we are used to hearing are becoming too old to really strike fear. Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, George and Steph are all still good but not at their peak and can’t stay healthy. I wouldn’t let recency bias fool me on the lakers. They have a lot of issues going in to the offseason. Players like Luka and Giannis (I know he’s in the East) are still young but play on teams that are asset depleted. Ja and Zion are both disasters.

We are one of the few teams that should be better without having to make any major moves. I can see how top six in just possible but probable.

Yeah. I don't think anyone really anticipated the sort of leap that SGA would make this year. I'm not actually referring to his statistical leap. He is just a much better player at this point than he was one year ago. I don't think you forecast the same for any of our young players next year, but it certainly isn't outside of the realm of possibility that any of these players improve in the same way. Chet is going to give us something we didn't have last year. The roster is, collectively, the right age for substantial internal development. I think what we saw this past year is the absolute floor for this team going forward.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Devilanche » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:02 pm

On the flip side I think teams would give us that little bit more effort so a play-in spot is not guaranteed.
But can’t wait for the team to play still.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#29 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:31 pm

Would never ever happen but Draymond on a deal that made sense for both sides would please me immensely
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#30 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:46 pm

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#31 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:46 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Would never ever happen but Draymond on a deal that made sense for both sides would please me immensely

on the court in theory, for sure, but I'm not sure his ego would allow him to let the kids do their stuff.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:54 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Would never ever happen but Draymond on a deal that made sense for both sides would please me immensely

You had me with “sleepy French kids” and now you’ve lost me.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#33 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:56 pm

jake_swivel wrote:

You had me with the “sleepy French kids” and now you’ve lost me.

draymond punching Dieng would be a nice wake up call.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:58 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Then he could kick bilal in the bilalls.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#35 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:16 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

gotta buy another FRP and draft Bilal and Dick to make it better.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#36 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:30 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

on the court in theory, for sure, but I'm not sure his ego would allow him to let the kids do their stuff.

I think if he came (he won't) that it would be under the pretense that we're on a winning trajectory and I really don't care if it means Dieng gets his feelings hurt by it. Think Giddey/Chet/JDub would all have the mental makeup/competitive fire necessary to keep that relationship synergistic
Big nick
Senior
And1: 354

Post#37 » by Big nick » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

gotta buy another FRP and draft Bilal and Dick to make it better.

I agree Bilal or hendricks and dick might put us over the top.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by jake_swivel » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:04 pm

We all know this, but it’s good to remember.

Over the last 6 seasons, now 31 year old kawhi average number of games played: 38.5

Degenerative right quad. Torn right ACL. Torn right meniscus.

Over the last 4 seasons, now 32 year old Paul George average number of games played: 47.25

Second oldest roster in the league.176ish million guaranteed next year. George and kawhi have player options for year after next. Pretty decent possibility george bolts with limited compensation coming back (possibly none?) and kawhi picks his option up. Basically no draft picks. Kawhi is likely to be out a big portion of next year with injury. Shoot, there’s a possibility he never plays again or he is never a high level player again. There are rumors of the coach not getting along with management.

The wheels will come off. Fingers will be pointed. We control their draft picks until 2026.

Honestly, I think they’d be smart to trade George this off-season when they can still get some value or they could end up real stuck. Portland should kick the tires.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 758

Post#39 » by cjmcallist » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:10 pm

jake_swivel wrote:We all know this, but it’s good to remember.

Over the last 6 seasons, now 31 year old kawhi average number of games played: 38.5

Degenerative right quad. Torn right ACL. Torn right meniscus.

Over the last 4 seasons, now 32 year old Paul George average number of games played: 47.25

Second oldest roster in the league.176ish million guaranteed next year. George and kawhi have player options for year after next. Pretty decent possibility george bolts with limited compensation coming back (possibly none?) and kawhi picks his option up. Basically no draft picks. Kawhi is likely to be out a big portion of next year with injury. Shoot, there’s a possibility he never plays again or he is never a high level player again. There are rumors of the coach not getting along with management.

The wheels will come off. Fingers will be pointed. We control their draft picks until 2026.

Honestly, I think they’d be smart to trade George this off-season when they can still get some value or they could end up real stuck. Portland should kick the tires.

I very much agree with this. I bet we end up with a top 7 pick from them at some point.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 758

Post#40 » by cjmcallist » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:11 pm

Saw a couple of KP trades to OKC. The more I noodle on it, the more I like it - assuming we can get some asset (even if minor) to take him on.

Let him walk in free agency next year.

Doesn’t fit Presti’s MO though.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder