2022 Summer League Thread - Beginning of the Chet Era

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Re: 2022 Summer League Thread - Beginning of the Chet Era 

Post#61 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 6, 2022 12:27 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I thought Giddy's game looked sort of wasted in that summer league setting. He wasn't bad. Just not as objectively good as he looked in live fire/real NBA games. Something about his ability to pace and orchestrate doesn't translate as well to the helter skelter, no one knows the offense type setting of summer league.

I don't think Giddey was out there for himself. My guess is he was asked to go out there and facilitate for the other guys.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,352

Post#62 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 12:34 pm

stupid show but Broussard reaction is gold (from 5 min and beyond)

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#63 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 6, 2022 1:53 pm

Poku was disappointing. I have been a fan and loved his potential but I think he may need to adjust his entire mindset to a make it. He came in as a low rent unicorn that wants to handle the ball but I think his best path to being a rotation guy is a bench defender. He still has unique foot speed for his size and can switch well. If he concentrates on that and hitting corner 3’s, he can be a nice bench piece at forward.

But he just isn’t responsible enough with the ball to be a handler or have high usage on offense.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#64 » by Sothron » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:26 pm

I said before the draft I thought Chet is the closest we've seen to what a modern Kevin Garnett would look like. People said I was crazy. Watching that SL game I don't think I'm crazy. I think I called it. I know SL is not NBA games but there's no denying Chet's potential.

You guys are going to have a lot of fun watching him and Giddey and SGA. I already got a Giddey jersey last season. Starting to think I might have to get a Chet jersey too lol
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:30 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Poku was disappointing. I have been a fan and loved his potential but I think he may need to adjust his entire mindset to a make it. He came in as a low rent unicorn that wants to handle the ball but I think his best path to being a rotation guy is a bench defender. He still has unique foot speed for his size and can switch well. If he concentrates on that and hitting corner 3’s, he can be a nice bench piece at forward.

But he just isn’t responsible enough with the ball to be a handler or have high usage on offense.

I am struggling to see the payoff with Poku being worth the investment as we start year three. Too many other players need minutes and the more time that goes by, the lower Poku's ceiling becomes. I don't want to necessarily want to get rid of him but i don't want to prioritize playing time for him if he hasn't earned it.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#66 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:38 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Poku was disappointing. I have been a fan and loved his potential but I think he may need to adjust his entire mindset to a make it. He came in as a low rent unicorn that wants to handle the ball but I think his best path to being a rotation guy is a bench defender. He still has unique foot speed for his size and can switch well. If he concentrates on that and hitting corner 3’s, he can be a nice bench piece at forward.

I am struggling to see the payoff with Poku being worth the investment as we start year three. Too many other players need minutes and the more time that goes by, the lower Poku's ceiling becomes. I don't want to necessarily want to get rid of him but i don't want to prioritize playing time for him if he hasn't earned it.

Ya, he has been spoon fed alot. You keep him rostered but assume he is F # 4 or 5 until he earns it. OKC is going to win more games than people think this season, and Poku cant be trotted out w/o earning it anymore.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:24 pm

The fact that Poku's best highlight was a behind the back pass to prevent himself from getting a turnover, says a lot.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#68 » by jake_swivel » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:36 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:The fact that Poku's best highlight was a behind the back pass to prevent him from getting a turnover says a lot.

And when he ran out of bounds and threw a blind behind the back pass, it was off the other team anyways.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#69 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:36 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Worth a last chance...Give him 60+ games and 20-22 MPG as a tank commander...if he can't improve we cut him for next season.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#70 » by timO » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:44 pm

just drafted another mvp

In one game he shows what full Poku could be and never gonna reach.

Btw having a Chet starter and Poku as rotation player is nice, rivals gonna get crazy.

Giddey-SGA-Dort-Jwill-Chet

Dieng-Mann-Poku-Bazley (maybe is the starting 4)-JRE

The tank is over, this is a play-in team, ~35 wins.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#71 » by bbms » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:45 pm

pokusevski is much better on +/- stats than people realize. his minutes are actually winning more than a guy like bazley, who is a much better tank commander.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:49 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Worth a last chance...Give him 60+ games and 20-22 MPG as a tank commander...if he can't improve we cut him for next season.

I really don't want an intentional, low ceiling tank commander on this team next year. If playing guys like Mann, Dieng and the Williams duo cause us to lose, so be it, but I don't want to trade Shai or waste another year of his prime. It not wembanyama or bust. We still should miss the playoffs next year. If we have another top 8-10 pick and maybe trade up to find someone as good as Giddey, that's enough for me.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#73 » by timO » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:56 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
namlede wrote:my prediction is Chet will dominate tonight and look like a generational superstar.

25/8/5/1/4 with solid defense and good efficiency.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

they will manage his minutes. No clue if he's going to play well or not but that statline is very unlikely

:lol:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#74 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:12 pm

timO wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
namlede wrote:my prediction is Chet will dominate tonight and look like a generational superstar.

25/8/5/1/4 with solid defense and good efficiency.

they will manage his minutes. No clue if he's going to play well or not but that statline is very unlikely

:lol:

glad I was wrong :)
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#75 » by MagicTownBaller » Wed Jul 6, 2022 6:20 pm

Chet did look really impressive. I want him to be good to prove in this league, you don't have to be full of muscle or overweight to be good. He can be good exactly as he is.

Honestly this draft, I'm rooting for everyone to be good, except maybe Shaedon Sharpe, because everyone called this draft the weakest since 2013 and I think that's unfair.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#76 » by namlede » Wed Jul 6, 2022 9:03 pm

I'll Make another prediction until I'm way off :).

16/8/3/2/4

solid defense and solid efficiency.

kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#77 » by kdthunderup » Wed Jul 6, 2022 10:12 pm

Chet was the guy I was really wanted to us take over anyone in the draft and damn did he validate that last night.

When I first knew about Chet as a prospect over a year ago without watching any real game footage I had the same negative outlook on him like most casual fans do currently - too skinny and weak to play in the NBA.

Once I started watching his actual games I knew this guy was legit. Yeah he might get pushed around easy and can struggle when guys are bodying him up but damn this guy more than makes up with it with his length, instincts and toughness. I don’t see him honestly getting much bigger than he is right now and that doesn’t concern me - every elite player still has some form of weakness, it’s the quality of their strengths that set them apart.

For Chet to reach that superstar level he just needs to get better at what he is already good at. If he can continue to polish his handle, jumpshot, playmaking and post moves then there will be no one in the NBA who can guard him - he can do all of this whilst being an all NBA defensive level guy which is a scary thought.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#78 » by bbms » Wed Jul 6, 2022 11:18 pm

dadouv must love this jersey, so similar to real madrid's
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 6, 2022 11:31 pm

Jalen Williams is going to be good.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 6, 2022 11:54 pm

The predictable game two regression from Chet.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder