OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Big nick
Junior
And1: 351

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#2841 » by Big nick » Wed May 1, 2024 10:05 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I just don't know if Kizz is a Thunder fan or if he loves to hate the Thunder. I really wonder if he's gonna celebrate the day OKC wins a title because he won't be able to justify his Presti hate anymore.

This, he's just hates Sam so much even though he was runner up for the executive award.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,283

Post#2842 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:11 pm

Big nick wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:I just don't know if Kizz is a Thunder fan or if he loves to hate the Thunder. I really wonder if he's gonna celebrate the day OKC wins a title because he won't be able to justify his Presti hate anymore.

This, he's just hates Sam so much even though he was runner up for the executive award.

It's his own right to hate Sam or to think he's bad at his job but I just don't get how u can root for a team if u hate him so much (even more since Presti was here from day one)
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,157

Post#2843 » by slick_watts » Wed May 1, 2024 10:47 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
slick_watts wrote:kevin durant was a better player, so he often was better, but not always. the failure of these thunder teams wasn't the performance of westbrook or durant but their poor selection of role players and roster degradation over time.

So it was Presti's incompetence that destroyed the potential OKC had. I'll agree you there.

yes. trading a 1st for dion waiters, not grabbing the bull by the horns. i think he's shown to some extent he has grown since then. we will see.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2844 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:08 pm

Yeah Presti failed in almost every trade in our previous era: Dion Waiters, Kanter, Kyle Singler. He also messed up by trying to develop some rookies instead of trading those picks for vets: Perry Jones, Lamb, Mitch McGary etc. He also messed up with our coaching staff.

On a more positive side, it looks like he has evolved in his approach to basketball and understand how to win in modern NBA. He stopped drafting athletic guys that can't shoot and is focusing on versatile players that can pass, dribble and shoot. The Giddey pick was kind of the exception.

Looks clear to me that current Presti is doing his best job as a GM since he started his career: got a ton of value in some trades; drafted good/great players (some busts) and finally hired an elite coaching staff.I wish we'd had a coach half as competent as Daigneault with KD/WB. Time will tell if he will succeed with the next moves to make.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,532

Post#2845 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu May 2, 2024 12:39 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Looks clear to me that current Presti is doing his best job as a GM since he started his career: got a ton of value in some trades; drafted good/great players (some busts) and finally hired an elite coaching staff.I wish we'd had a coach half as competent as Daigneault with KD/WB. Time will tell if he will succeed with the next moves to make.

He made some great trades early the first time around. Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, etc. The Jeff Green pick is still as much a headscratcher now as it was then. Noah was right there for the taking, along with a few others that would have been much better fits next to KD. Presti attempted to build a position less team as the excuse. Presti abandoned that thinking by adding Perkins, Adams and Kanter instead of embracing it by playing Ibaka as the starting center and adding more shooting as the role players. We'll see what he does this time around, but I'm waiting for him to start the dismantling in two years.

Remember, the best team OKC had during that era was the year he traded Harden. Then he let KMart leave and it all fell apart from there. Hopefully, Dort will continue to grow as a 3pt shooter and not turn into Thabo 2.0 who only had two good shooting seasons in a career of terrible shooting. If Dort regresses to his previous level with this season as a fluke then OKC will struggle going forward unless Presti can find a quality 3&D SG and while Cason has potential the team will still be in need of someone else to fill that role.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2846 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:48 am

Damn looks like we are gonna play Dallas. Chet gonna need some help with Lively/Gafford/PJ. I'm way more worried about facing Dallas than the Wolves...just not a good match up.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2847 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:03 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Looks clear to me that current Presti is doing his best job as a GM since he started his career: got a ton of value in some trades; drafted good/great players (some busts) and finally hired an elite coaching staff.I wish we'd had a coach half as competent as Daigneault with KD/WB. Time will tell if he will succeed with the next moves to make.

He made some great trades early the first time around. Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, etc. The Jeff Green pick is still as much a headscratcher now as it was then. Noah was right there for the taking, along with a few others that would have been much better fits next to KD. Presti attempted to build a position less team as the excuse. Presti abandoned that thinking by adding Perkins, Adams and Kanter instead of embracing it by playing Ibaka as the starting center and adding more shooting as the role players. We'll see what he does this time around, but I'm waiting for him to start the dismantling in two years.

Remember, the best team OKC had during that era was the year he traded Harden. Then he let KMart leave and it all fell apart from there. Hopefully, Dort will continue to grow as a 3pt shooter and not turn into Thabo 2.0 who only had two good shooting seasons in a career of terrible shooting. If Dort regresses to his previous level with this season as a fluke then OKC will struggle going forward unless Presti can find a quality 3&D SG and while Cason has potential the team will still be in need of someone else to fill that role.

Dort plays an important role but as long as our 3 stars are playing at a very high level, we will have the assets to make the adjustments needed to fill the roster.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,597

Post#2848 » by Devilanche » Thu May 2, 2024 12:01 pm

Thought I time travel to the past .
Western Conf semis finals can’t start fast enough.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2849 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:11 pm

Devilanche wrote:Thought I time travel to the past .
Western Conf semis finals can’t start fast enough.

Doesn't look like we are playing in the postseason right now :lol:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2850 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:13 pm

I really wonder how Shai will look in the next round because I still think he's a bit hurt. OKC likes to keep these things quiet while Dallas is making a lot of noise because of Doncic's injury.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2851 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:17 pm

Already assuming we are facing Dallas even if it's not over but this is the kind of series we needed to give Chet some help. Two of Gafford/Lively/PJ washington on the floor is gonna be a tough task for Chet and I don't know how we will handle when he's on the bench. Jwill is way too slow against those mavs bigs. Gonna need future superstar JDub to step up.
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#2852 » by CROklahoma » Thu May 2, 2024 12:30 pm

I think DAL should be much more worried how their bigs except Kleber will fare with Chet on perimeter.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#2853 » by Devilanche » Thu May 2, 2024 12:50 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I really wonder how Shai will look in the next round because I still think he's a bit hurt. OKC likes to keep these things quiet while Dallas is making a lot of noise because of Doncic's injury.

A fair bit of time for him rest up until next round though.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2854 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:50 pm

I think Steve Ballmer will pay PG13 because he can't afford to lose him but if he somehow he walks, that 2025 swap is gonna be juicy.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#2855 » by Devilanche » Thu May 2, 2024 12:51 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Already assuming we are facing Dallas even if it's not over but this is the kind of series we needed to give Chet some help. Two of Gafford/Lively/PJ washington on the floor is gonna be a tough task for Chet and I don't know how we will handle when he's on the bench. Jwill is way too slow against those mavs bigs. Gonna need future superstar JDub to step up.

One way or another we will find out. But kind of prefer meeting Dallas.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2856 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:51 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:I really wonder how Shai will look in the next round because I still think he's a bit hurt. OKC likes to keep these things quiet while Dallas is making a lot of noise because of Doncic's injury.

A fair bit of time for him rest up until next round though.

yeah but we thought the same between the end of regular season and the start of the postseason and he was still struggling (and he got a bit injured in game 4 against NOLA). Hopefully the week off will help yeah
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2857 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:56 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Already assuming we are facing Dallas even if it's not over but this is the kind of series we needed to give Chet some help. Two of Gafford/Lively/PJ washington on the floor is gonna be a tough task for Chet and I don't know how we will handle when he's on the bench. Jwill is way too slow against those mavs bigs. Gonna need future superstar JDub to step up.

One way or another we will find out. But kind of prefer meeting Dallas.

Why so?

Feel like their big match up better against us and I like Dort a lot against Harden (he already showed it in the past) or even PG13. Doncic is physically strong and is elite at creating separation.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,307

Post#2858 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 2, 2024 12:57 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Yeah Presti failed in almost every trade in our previous era: Dion Waiters, Kanter, Kyle Singler. He also messed up by trying to develop some rookies instead of trading those picks for vets: Perry Jones, Lamb, Mitch McGary etc. He also messed up with our coaching staff.

On a more positive side, it looks like he has evolved in his approach to basketball and understand how to win in modern NBA. He stopped drafting athletic guys that can't shoot and is focusing on versatile players that can pass, dribble and shoot. The Giddey pick was kind of the exception.

Looks clear to me that current Presti is doing his best job as a GM since he started his career: got a ton of value in some trades; drafted good/great players (some busts) and finally hired an elite coaching staff.I wish we'd had a coach half as competent as Daigneault with KD/WB. Time will tell if he will succeed with the next moves to make.

Not having Troy Weaver in the front office doesn't hurt. I worry that he'll be back as soon as this summer.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#2859 » by bbms » Thu May 2, 2024 1:22 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Yeah Presti failed in almost every trade in our previous era: Dion Waiters, Kanter, Kyle Singler. He also messed up by trying to develop some rookies instead of trading those picks for vets: Perry Jones, Lamb, Mitch McGary etc. He also messed up with our coaching staff.

i agree, but i think the crux of the issue is that after 2013 the FO seemed a bit desperate to please players. kept scott brooks because the players liked him, even though brooks got out coached every playoffs series he was in and clearly couldn't get more out of our players anymore. made trades with high flop potential to please the players and not lose durant/wb in the FA...

even the trades for george/anthony had a lot to it, trying to surround russ with good players after his mvp season. they made a bit more sense than those for dion/kanter, and had a lot more success (specially before the andre roberson injury), but still they had a resonating logic behind those moves that i don't like.

i seriously hope he has made internal self-criticism of those moves. players are divas, if you try to make those kinds of moves to please players, they'll always want more and all becomes very crisis-prone. a sports manager always put the club's health above the players and just go on. lebron fans are lebron fans, heat and cavaliers could never retain them.

what i think it's ironic is that some of presti's criticism are around his lack of movement to maximize a player-based short window, which is really funny to me.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2860 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:39 pm

bbms wrote:

i agree, but i think the crux of the issue is that after 2013 the FO seemed a bit desperate to please players. kept scott brooks because the players liked him, even though brooks got out coached every playoffs series he was in and clearly couldn't get more out of our players anymore. made trades with high flop potential to please the players and not lose durant/wb in the FA...

even the trades for george/anthony had a lot to it, trying to surround russ with good players after his mvp season. they made a bit more sense than those for dion/kanter, and had a lot more success (specially before the andre roberson injury), but still they had a resonating logic behind those moves that i don't like.

i seriously hope he has made internal self-criticism of those moves. players are divas, if you try to make those kinds of moves to please players, they'll always want more and all becomes very crisis-prone. a sports manager always put the club's health above the players and just go on. lebron fans are lebron fans, heat and cavaliers could never retain them.

what i think it's ironic is that some of presti's criticism are around his lack of movement to maximize a player-based short window, which is really funny to me.

That's a fair criticism. Presti waited too long to hire another coach.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder