ImageImageImageImageImage

Kapono in the last 27 games

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#41 » by Trilogy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:28 pm

Kapono is slightly overpaid for what he does.

I don't like his game at all since he's so one dimensional. He's a phenomenal shooter but struggles in every other aspect of the game. He got torched by Daniels yesterday.

He has his uses, but teams know how to guard him, they just face guard him and run him off the shot. I cringe when Kapono drives or has the ball on this inside. Simply, he's a limited player.

Smitch getting way too much flak for this too. He's done a good job this year overall. I really didn't like him in the first years he was here, but he's a pretty solid coach.
toast
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#42 » by toast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Also EastCoastRapsfan I completely agree with your assesment of Mitchell. I do believe that this summer or next BC will pull of Carlisle (I can't spell his name) for Brown situation. He needs Mitchell to establish the culture but ultimately he needs another coach to take them to the next level.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Post#43 » by duppyy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:43 pm

I wish he would have the same mentality as "chuckfino"
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#44 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Trilogy wrote:Kapono is slightly overpaid for what he does.

I don't like his game at all since he's so one dimensional. He's a phenomenal shooter but struggles in every other aspect of the game. He got torched by Daniels yesterday.

He has his uses, but teams know how to guard him, they just face guard him and run him off the shot. I cringe when Kapono drives or has the ball on this inside. Simply, he's a limited player.

Smitch getting way too much flak for this too. He's done a good job this year overall. I really didn't like him in the first years he was here, but he's a pretty solid coach.

My feelings about Sam have been noted, however; I also want to say that my going off in this thread may be out of place, because I wouldn't say Sam's solely at fault for Kapono. I do believe Sam's not varying strategy to emphasize strengths and downplay weaknesses of personnel but i wouldn't say Kapono's struggles on Sam 100% either. One side of tis equation is poor d equals less burn, less burn equals less shots. the less you are in the lineup the less the team strategy will be catered to your game.

My Sam rant could have gone in any thread as it was on the tip of my tongue since Bargs went to the bench after making the basket in the third when he was playing good d. It may have been better placed in the wins and losses in close games thread. To give Sam credit, this year there's no stickied "fire Smitch" thread for me to go off in.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Re: Kapono in the last 25 games 

Post#45 » by KingstonRaptors » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:23 pm

supersub15 wrote:
Cost of every 3-pointer made in those last 25 games: $408,231.70

Nice. :D

:o
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#46 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:25 pm

I love your sig;

while it lasts.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#47 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:36 pm

stupid-funny Kap. video...next to Rasho this guy is awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eC6EFOZik0
Got Raps FanFiction?
fliszt25
Junior
And1: 0

Post#48 » by fliszt25 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:40 pm

As far as I'm concerned, I have never been a fan of Smitch so I'm pretty biased in the Kapono case. Of course, no matter how much money a guy is paid, it isn't the job of the coach to do everything possible to make sure that the signee is successful; however, in Smitch's case, I get the sense that there are no plans for Kapono besides pass it to him 5 times a game for a deuce and hope for the best.

I completely agree with Little Ozzy. Where are the drive and dish plays to Kapono? Both Calderon and Ford have great abilities to penetrate the lanes and Jose is a great passer. It only seems logical that Kapono would preferentially get the ball passed to him after opposing defenses are broken down.

I mean, if Kapono was given the ball more to shoot 3s, then opposing defenses would put less heat on Bosh and Bargnani. It seems so silly that we have the reigning 3 point all star champion on our team NOT shooting 3s. It's laughable and Smitch seems to not care about it.

We already had a lot of credible outside shooting threats before Kapono which made his acqusition a bit redundant but the way he is being underutilized offensively makes the signing completely redundant.

Yes Jason is a mediocre defender (which BC should also take the heat for because he should know that his team didn't need another bad defender) and that means his time on the floor should be limited. But at the very least, I envisioned him as a Dell Curry-like impact player/offensive sparkplug. But Smitch doesn't seem to think so.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,242

Post#49 » by LLJ » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 pm

He's an asset, and he'll always have value because of his lone skill. If Kwame can get you Gasol, we're certain to get some decent value should we decide to trade Kapono in the future. :lol:
metaldaze
Senior
And1: 0

Post#50 » by metaldaze » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Trilogy wrote:Kapono is slightly overpaid for what he does.

Agreed coaching is not the problem the guy is limited period to honest ship him out and bring back Matt Bonner.
m1kenoff
Bench Warmer
And1: 482

Post#51 » by m1kenoff » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Were saving him for the playoffs!!! BELIEVE DAT!

YALL DONT KNOW NUUUTHIN

Seriously, Kapono has been playing pretty good defense and he has been scoring efficiently even without his 3pt shooting. I think most of you will become quiet in the next 5-10 games as TJ will be finding Kapownyou more and more often.
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#52 » by JJWong17 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Exar Kun wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The best part of lastnight is when they had Rod Black speaking during the game and he says "I was just near the Raptor huddle and it sounds like the Raptors are going to try and do a high pick and roll between Calderon and Bosh"

Thanks Rod, you're amazing.

As I remember, they didn't run a high pick and roll play with Bosh/Jose after Rod Black said that on air. It was kinda awkward.
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#53 » by RockTHECasbah » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:09 pm

People should be impressed by what Kapono has done. He gets the all that defensive coverage partially because he has one of those big-time college shooter reputations. Look at what JJ Reddick has done in a similar situation.
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,459

Post#54 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't understand those of you who say run plays for Kapono. That is just crazy. His role is to open space up for Bosh, and to hit those open Js when they are there.

Part of the problem is that other teams are not leaving him open. Which in part is good because it means that they are not doubling Bosh, thus he is serving his purpose. The thing though is that he plays soo little that by the time Bosh starts really hurting the other team, and they start changing their defense to give more help, Kapono is already out of the game, thus somebody else (ala Delfino, Parker & Moon) is chucking the open shots. To be really effective he has to be on the floor with Bosh more then 20+minutes. Instead he is on the floor with the bench where nobody commands a double team.

The other problem is that in the rare instance he gets open he feels the need to pump fake. He has to learn to shot with a little pressure and not expect to only shot when he is wide open.

I still believe though he was a bad signing b/c for what he brings, we have 4 other players who can shot the 3 at respectable clip to hurt teams who double bosh.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#55 » by chsh22 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 pm

PharoaheMonch wrote:I don't know why people are all on Sam for this. We need a big man that plays in the POST, to fully utilize Kapono.

By that thinking then, Primoz + Bosh on the court should always mean Kapono's there too.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,692

Post#56 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 pm

knickerbocker2k2 wrote:I don't understand those of you who say run plays for Kapono. That is just crazy. His role is to open space up for Bosh, and to hit those open Js when they are there.

Part of the problem is that other teams are not leaving him open. Which in part is good because it means that they are not doubling Bosh, thus he is serving his purpose. The thing though is that he plays soo little that by the time Bosh starts really hurting the other team, and they start changing their defense to give more help, Kapono is already out of the game, thus somebody else (ala Delfino, Parker & Moon) is chucking the open shots. To be really effective he has to be on the floor with Bosh more then 20+minutes. Instead he is on the floor with the bench where nobody commands a double team.

The other problem is that in the rare instance he gets open he feels the need to pump fake. He has to learn to shot with a little pressure and not expect to only shot when he is wide open.

I still believe though he was a bad signing b/c for what he brings, we have 4 other players who can shot the 3 at respectable clip to hurt teams who double bosh.

We had those guys for the most part last year in the playoffs too, and only Bargs showed up for 3 games. I don't think you could expect the type of shooting Delfino's been displaying after the Raps picked him up this summer, and he's streaky enough to make it so you wouldn't want to rely on him either.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Guy Smiley
RealGM
And1: 491

Post#57 » by Guy Smiley » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
We had those guys for the most part last year in the playoffs too, and only Bargs showed up for 3 games. I don't think you could expect the type of shooting Delfino's been displaying after the Raps picked him up this summer, and he's streaky enough to make it so you wouldn't want to rely on him either.

I think all the talk about Bargs being the only one who showed up for 3 games in the playoffs needs to tempered slightly.

http://www.82games.com/0607/playoffs/0607TOR.HTM

The team was worse both offensively and defensively when Bargnani was on the court.

He was dreadful based on the statistics and from what I saw he wasn't the only guy that showed up. I did like a few things I saw from that series but there comes a point where flashes don't justify the whole.

Edit: If there was anyone that seemed to have a solid impact in the late series charge I thought it was MoPete. Part of the reason I didn't want to see him walk away with Kapono jumping as his replacement.
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,459

Post#58 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Those guys didn't show up because IMO there was not alot of open shots. The nets in the past played underrated defense. Problem last year if I remember correctly was the shutdown our pick/roll/screen down. They basically let TJ/Calderon shot the ball, and they cheated on Bosh. That strat worked b/c basically they forced TJ/Calderon to shot more and if they passed the ball they would be passin in traffic.

This year IMO we stand a better chance because Calderon is shooting lights out. It is going to be hard to employ that strategy. In addition we also have one more offense scheme that is nearly as effective. Boshs postups where we clear one side of the floor I think has become effective this year. This will either force them to double leaving somebody wide open or having Bosh shot a high percentage. Last year when we tried this Bosh got stopped by Mikki Moore without a double, thus we really only had our pick/roll offensive set.

As for consistency I agree Delfino is worse then Mopete. One night he goes 5/6 from 3's and next night 0-5. There is no middle ground with this guy. Only if Sam was smart enough to see this, and as soon as he goes 0-3, give his minutes to Kapono. His defense is overrated.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,308

Post#59 » by Shaazzam » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:01 pm

If only Mo could have stayed in bounds...
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,692

Post#60 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 pm

Guy Smiley wrote:I think all the talk about Bargs being the only one who showed up for 3 games in the playoffs needs to tempered slightly.

http://www.82games.com/0607/playoffs/0607TOR.HTM

The team was worse both offensively and defensively when Bargnani was on the court.

He was dreadful based on the statistics and from what I saw he wasn't the only guy that showed up. I did like a few things I saw from that series but there comes a point where flashes don't justify the whole.

Edit: If there was anyone that seemed to have a solid impact in the late series charge I thought it was MoPete. Part of the reason I didn't want to see him walk away with Kapono jumping as his replacement.

Yes, your stats are for 6 games, not 3. Even on/off court +/- has trouble distinguishing 1 player from 5. Kind of like how Chris Paul had a - on/off court +/- for most of his rookie season. If one guy's playing well, but no one else is and the team is getting killed until the Sam rolls out the scrubs, that on/off court +/- will be in trouble. Especially if he wasn't playing well for 50% of the games in the series.

One of those games Bargs showed up in was the terrible game 4 that no one else came out for. Everyone in the starting lineup had an atrocious +/-, Bargs happened to have the best on court +/- of any of the 20 minute players, per minute though.

He shot a ridiculous eFG% of around 85% over games 4, 5, and 6.

He also had the best per minute on court +/- on the team in game 5, except for TJ who played 7 minutes and Luke Jackson who played 4, respectively.

His on court +/- was mildly hurt in game 6 because he didn't get to play with Bosh in the 2nd quarter, but rather with Humphries.

So yes, Bargnani showed up for 3 games in the Nets series.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors