ImageImageImageImageImage

Kapono in the last 27 games

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#21 » by RockTHECasbah » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:32 pm

The world
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
El Presidente
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#22 » by El Presidente » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:33 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:I like Sam's personality and I find him entertaining, but I don't think he'll be our coach next year. We run almost no sets other than Bosh pick and role, our defense doesn't adjust from game to game or give team different looks. So if we aren't focusing on offense or defense, what is the coach doing besides getting on guys and making substitutions? Sam's great at that, right? Dealing with the media? This may actually be Sam's strong suit. Keeping guys motivated? Must be hard to keep this group of character guys BC assembled motivated. I wonder if Sam may even at times have a negative effect with his temperamental subs, and failure to draw up looks that put his personnel in a position to succeed.

Anyway, I've seen many variations of this team under Sam's tenure, and when the talent improves they improve, but what over that time can be said about Sam's coaching, other it's getting a bit better from where it was. Watch in games, he the first person on the court to start looking nervous, he's not the source of poise and confidence we need to get to the next level, imo.

I've yet to come away thinking we've out coached someone. It seems to guys are never put in for positive reasons, as in "We need a three and this guy can hit it". It's always negative, as in "this guy ain't getting it done." Think about our weaponry and think about that for a second. When you may have the deepest bench in the league, you may want to use some if just because they can help succeed, not solely to just stem defeat. You wonder why we have trouble putting guys away. If Sam isn't reacting to mistakes he's not doing anything. How's about being proactive, and having a strategy for success and not just to a strategy to try to stop the bleeding.

Very bold statement. I don't think BC's going to fire him, if that was his plan he would've never resigned him last summer. I doubt BC's the type of guy who'll only hire a coach just because he won COY. This guy wasn't afraid to go against the grain and select Bargnani as the #1 pick, no reason to think he'd be scared to let a COY walk.

The positive/negative theory is a good one but I'd like to add on that he does have some favorites. The chain on Moon/Delfino is much longer than Graham, Hump or previously, Dixon. So PT isn't distributed based on negative events entirely but also based on who Sam likes or has a "gut feeling" about. Another problem for us fans is that we don't see what goes on in practice and our media sucks at reporting so we don't really know who had good practices, bad practices, lazy practices etc. Maybe Joey and Baston being in Sam's doghouse is justified based on what goes on behind the scenes. I'm a proponent of using our depth but at the same time I think our rotation needs to be tightened, I'd like for us to enter a game with a game plan of who will play who and matchup against who, I don't see that happening right now and everything seems to be reactionary.

Improve in talent usually means improvement in W's. You can't expect Sam to pull W's out of his ass but there have been times where his sub pattern has cost us games (Portland, Orlando come to mind). There have been legitimate coaching complaints pertaining to his use of Kapono which he's got to take responsibility for.

Finally, one of my major complaints with Sam has been his inability to instill a defensive mindset and philosophy in this team over his tenure, the offense is very simplistic so you
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#23 » by ponder276 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:35 pm

We need to:
a) Start run plays for him - i.e. get players to set screens for him off the ball, and pass him the ball the moment he's open. or run fast-break plays where Kapono at the 3 is a solid option. He clearly cannot create his own space, but he's a good enough shooter that it's worth having other players create space for him
or, preferably
b) Over the summer, do everything possible to get rid of his salary. We want to stay under the luxury tax next year. At the same time, we want to resig Calderon and Delfino AND deal our expirings + picks/players for stars. Only way to do this is to dump Kapono's salary, and probably TJ's too. Due to the bad contract, Kapono probably has negative value, but I'd consider doing something along the lines of Kapono + a 1st for just a 2nd to deal him to a team with cap space to spare.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#24 » by MikeM » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:37 pm

I saw it once. A flare screen at the top of the arc. Once. Kapono got wide open but TJ led him too much on the pass.

Do you guys know what play I'm talking about? Wizards used it a ton last year, especially against zone.

Kapono is at top of the arc (Bargnani's spot). He passes to his left to PG, his man gets screen and he flares to the right elbow behind the arc. This play is money. We've tried it once.

These are the type of plays we need to get Kapono going.

AND we also need to run on the break more, that's when he's at his best.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,969

Post#25 » by Cassius » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Having four competent bigs to set picks and a healthy TJ should be enough to get him back in the offensive rotation.

I think he needs to start breaking the offense like Graham started to do last year by trailing the point guard on their drives. Only difference is that Kap will pull up.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Snowcrash
Analyst
And1: 118

Post#26 » by Snowcrash » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:45 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:I like Sam's personality and I find him entertaining, but I don't think he'll be our coach next year. We run almost no sets other than Bosh pick and role, our defense doesn't adjust from game to game or give team different looks. So if we aren't focusing on offense or defense, what is the coach doing besides getting on guys and making substitutions? Sam's great at that, right? Dealing with the media? This may actually be Sam's strong suit. Keeping guys motivated? Must be hard to keep this group of character guys BC assembled motivated. I wonder if Sam may even at times have a negative effect with his temperamental subs, and failure to draw up looks that put his personnel in a position to succeed.

I hope I don't come off sounding too negative because you're usually a pretty rational poster. After reading what you have to say about Mitchell, I'm wondering whether you have any work experience because there seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding team or workplace dynamics and what is required from a good manager.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#27 » by mintsa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:45 pm

I cant see sam getting fired after this season....I just dont see it.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#28 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:59 pm

El Presidente wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Very bold statement. I don't think BC's going to fire him, if that was his plan he would've never resigned him last summer. I doubt BC's the type of guy who'll only hire a coach just because he won COY. This guy wasn't afraid to go against the grain and select Bargnani as the #1 pick, no reason to think he'd be scared to let a COY walk.

The positive/negative theory is a good one but I'd like to add on that he does have some favorites. The chain on Moon/Delfino is much longer than Graham, Hump or previously, Dixon. So PT isn't distributed based on negative events entirely but also based on who Sam likes or has a "gut feeling" about. Another problem for us fans is that we don't see what goes on in practice and our media sucks at reporting so we don't really know who had good practices, bad practices, lazy practices etc. Maybe Joey and Baston being in Sam's doghouse is justified based on what goes on behind the scenes. I'm a proponent of using our depth but at the same time I think our rotation needs to be tightened, I'd like for us to enter a game with a game plan of who will play who and matchup against who, I don't see that happening right now and everything seems to be reactionary.

Improve in talent usually means improvement in W's. You can't expect Sam to pull W's out of his ass but there have been times where his sub pattern has cost us games (Portland, Orlando come to mind). There have been legitimate coaching complaints pertaining to his use of Kapono which he's got to take responsibility for.

Finally, one of my major complaints with Sam has been his inability to instill a defensive mindset and philosophy in this team over his tenure, the offense is very simplistic so you
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#29 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 pm

AfricanSensation wrote:Leave the system alone, you think teams are leaving Parker who has been top 5 in 3pt% for the last 2 years wide open on purpose? Nope, but he still manages to get his 3s. You think Indy was letting Fino open yesterday? Nope, but even if he is 5 feet way from the 3pt line with a guy in his face, Fino is gonna chuck it.

Except that Parker barely takes more 3s per minute than Kapono and shoots significantly less per minute. He just takes and makes more 3s because he gets more minutes. And yes, Delfino was being left wide open by the Pacers last night. His first two or three 3s came with nobody within 5 or 10 feet of him and once Indiana wised up and decided to cover him it was too late.
Bucket! Bucket!
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#30 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Snowcrash wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hope I don't come off sounding too negative because you're usually a pretty rational poster. After reading what you have to say about Mitchell, I'm wondering whether you have any work experience because there seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding team or workplace dynamics and what is required from a good manager.

Hey, no offense taken man, we just differ in opinion, and I think there's a bit of truth in both our outlooks about Sam, but I feel the way I do. In regards to your comments, excuse my sarcastic tone but, I have a good job...I've had various jobs in my 29 years... I've been a manager in everything from Pizza shops to call centers before I finished my degree and started in my current career. I've had a few good mangers too. I wonder if they'll apply for the Raps job if there's an opening. I mean, it's all about the Jimmies and Joes not x's and o's. right? I know a Mickie Dee's crew chief who could make Parker play hard every night. why don't we just get Tony Robbins? he might be too pricey.

Usually when coaches say that line about the jimmies and joes, there's a hint of modesty in it. I get the feeling Sam heard a modest man say that and thought that's all there is to it.

One thing in regards to workplace dynamics though, is that I think that's a big reason Sam got the extension. But it won't be enough, IMO to counter inability to adjust if that leads to playoff disappointment again. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather that not happen and be proven wrong with a smile on my face that won't go away because won, than be right. And I don't think Sam's worthless, but when I think about the Wooden Pyramid, the top two rungs are poise and confidence. Watch Sam on the sideline and tell me when you see it.

I not saying Sam is a horrible manager, but that alone does not make you a good Basketball coach.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#31 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:25 pm

Snowcrash wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Alston incident

not talking to Bargs for 3 weeks

hump having a 3 dribble = bench rule, he didn't know about

retort man, give me one good example

I tend to think we have a good group of guys, who weather Sam's moods well, more so than I would say Sam the main reason for team chemistry.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,131

Post#32 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:29 pm

MikeM wrote:AND we also need to run on the break more, that's when he's at his best.

Yeah, I really liked that pair of daggers he hit just before the half against Sacramento. You'd think we'd be seeing much more of that.

I can understand not playing Kapono though, because otherwise some swingman would be going off big time against us every night. Oh wait ...
Jouissance
Junior
And1: 9

Post#33 » by Jouissance » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:40 pm

I have been disappointed with Kapono too, but there was one instance last night where he showed his value without the ball: when TJ beat his man on the PaR, the help defender covering Kapono (who was in the corner) took a step towards the lane and then ran back out on Kapono. TJ got an uncontested layup thanks to Kapono's reputation.
I'm not saying it is or isn't worth his salary, but this is the type of thing that makes defences a little indecisive, which is what kills teams in the playoffs (where it is so hard to get on a role).
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#34 » by mintsa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Well, whatever the case is with Kapono. If it's him the coaching staff whoever. They have to find a way to use his 3pt shooting. Come playoff the raps will need it.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#35 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:01 pm

mintsa wrote:Well, whatever the case is with Kapono. If it's him the coaching staff whoever. They have to find a way to use his 3pt shooting. Come playoff the raps will need it.

^ truth
Theta64
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#36 » by Theta64 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:14 pm

5-11 record in close games, I don't care what anyone says, but that says a lot about our coaching. Sam has a terrible temper, has no other plays besides his pick and roll, and still doesn't know how to make substitutions.

Why do you guys think we have so many inconsistent players on this team. Just look at his wild substitutions. Every time a player starts to show some consistent playing, Sam takes them out, or has them seated on the bench the next game or two.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#37 » by dacrusha » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Kapono's mere presence on the court opens up opportunities for others.

And for all who think we overpaid for him, do you really believe he would've left Miami to come to us for under the MLE?

And even if you do, what grand roster improving scheme could we have fleshed out with that insignficant $1-2 million saved?
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,310

Post#38 » by Shaazzam » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:03 pm

He's still an asset, and he'll have his uses come playoff time.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
PharoaheMonch
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#39 » by PharoaheMonch » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:06 pm

I don't know why people are all on Sam for this. We need a big man that plays in the POST, to fully utilize Kapono.
toast
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#40 » by toast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I agree that a good deal of the problem is how Kapono is not taken advantage to his greatest potential but I also feel that he needs to accept who he is as a basketball player. Am I the only person who feels that to a degree Kapono is protecting his percentages, and is actively thinking about being more than just a 3 point gunner while he is on the court.

The man can make 50% from 3 point land. Just using math (I believe 38 % makes a 3 point shot a better attempt) he should be taking the majority of his shots out there and actively looking to take three not actively looking to vary his shot and go inside which he is currently doing.

Return to Toronto Raptors