ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai messed up but deserves another chance

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,402

Masai messed up but deserves another chance 

Post#1 » by WigginsNation » Mon May 20, 2024 7:54 am

We all can agree that Masai messed up with bad decisions the past some odd years, particularly in not choosing to build around Scottie earlier. We could’ve been in a FAR better position now if Pascal, FVV, OG, Lowry, etc were traded earlier. Also add the mistake of trading for Poetl!

However given Masai’s track record: constructing our championship team, and building highly competitive teams who were previously in turmoil like he did with Denver and Toronto, we can feel confident that he’s learned from his mistakes and will get the raps back to being highly competitive again.

Let’s just enjoy the ride and watch our guys develop: Scottie, IQ, RJ and Dick.

We’re not in a terrible position right now, and given the parity of the East, we can rise near the top quickly, just like the Magic, Pacers and Knicks did.
Snappycoocoo
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Masai messed up but deserves another chance 

Post#2 » by Snappycoocoo » Mon May 20, 2024 8:25 am

We can't look backwards now this is our roster now we are in rebuild mode

Waiting too see what happens with Brown, Yakub, and Trent

It's time to go young and develop
nivisi9
Senior
And1: 423

Post#3 » by nivisi9 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:46 am

I'm actually scared it might be the opposite.

if you really look at things honestly..

He wasn't really in Denver long.

When Masai came to the Raptors we thought he was going to build a team from scratch but the BC core took over and was the foundation for all those good teams -- Derozan/ Lowry/ JV etc. -- we forgot he completely inherited the heart and soul of all those teams.

The scouting staff did some good drafting during those years -- (Siakam, OG, Powell, FVV)

He 100% gets credit for having the balls to make the Kawhi trade--- his biggest win.

but besides that...SO MANY TERRIBLE DECISIONS LAST 5 YEARS (when it was arguably his time to perform the most roster management as an executive)

• he's shown to be way overly emotionally attached to his players which negatively effects his decision making (not moving on from core sooner turned into a complete disaster)

• Seems obsessed with the concept of "winning" or shall we say "not losing" leading to a number of more disaster treadmill roster moves: trading a top 10 pick when team was going no where + needed to rebuild, not moving on from core sooner (basically in Wemby spot if we're this bad last yr), trading draft capital for fringe playoff pushes (ex. Thad Young)

• I'm actually really concerned he's going to let his emotions get the best of him and make a bunch of treadmill-ish moves to avoid another season like 2024, 15+ losing streaks, upsetting Scottie, not "winning" and makes panic moves etc.

He's the one who got us into this mess, hopefully he has the balls to see this team is DESPERATE FOR TALENT which probably means ATLEAST 1 more bleak season of losing (we need top tier prospects).

if Masai does the opposite (which I think is 100% a possibility) we will be on our way to basically a worse version of the Siakam/FVV teams (atleast those teams had OG).

Lets pray he accepts responsibility and what needs to be done.

the last 5 yrs has me worried.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,023

Post#4 » by anotherhomer » Mon May 20, 2024 9:02 am

I wouldn't say worry....

Ujiri tried to navigate a retool, being competitive while bringing in youth but it never worked for various reasons such as:
- Nurse wasn't interested in player development and gave little time to fringe players
- raps missed on various low end picks and signings
- bad luck with certain players such as jontay porter, koloko and terence davis
- scottie stagnating in year 2 didn't give raps confidence to rebuild around him
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,854

Post#5 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:20 am

Masai moved away from what he's good at (drafting and player development), for whatever inexplicable reason. He just needs to go back to that. If he continues to make treadmill moves instead, then it'll be time for a new FO.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,689

Post#6 » by johanliebert » Mon May 20, 2024 9:23 am

Masai made the correct decision and rebuilding takes time.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,005

Post#7 » by Los_29 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:56 am

nivisi9 wrote:I'm actually scared it might be the opposite.

When Masai came to the Raptors we thought he was going to build a team from scratch but the BC core took over and was the foundation for all those good teams -- Derozan/ Lowry/ JV etc. -- we forgot he completely inherited the heart and soul of all those teams.

The scouting staff did some good drafting during those years -- (Siakam, OG, Powell, FVV)

He 100% gets credit for having the balls to make the Kawhi trade--- his biggest win.

but besides that...SO MANY TERRIBLE DECISIONS LAST 5 YEARS (when it was arguably his time to perform the most roster management as an executive)

• he's shown to be way overly emotionally attached to his players which negatively effects his decision making (not moving on from core sooner turned into a complete disaster)

• Seems obsessed with the concept of "winning" or shall we say "not losing" leading to a number of more disaster treadmill roster moves: trading a top 10 pick when team was going no where + needed to rebuild, not moving on from core sooner (basically in Wemby spot if we're this bad last yr), trading draft capital for fringe playoff pushes (ex. Thad Young)

• I'm actually really concerned he's going to let his emotions get the best of him and make a bunch of treadmill-ish moves to avoid another season like 2024, 15+ losing streaks, upsetting Scottie, not "winning" and makes panic moves etc.

He's the one who got us into this mess, hopefully he has the balls to see this team is DESPERATE FOR TALENT which probably means ATLEAST 1 more bleak season of losing (we need top tier prospects).

if Masai does the opposite (which I think is 100% a possibility) we will be on our way to basically a worse version of the Siakam/FVV teams (atleast those teams had OG).

Other than the obvious ones, what are all these terrible decisions?

Your timeline is also off as 5 years ago we had the 2nd best record in the league and pushed a very good Celtics team to 7 games.

Tampa season we tanked for Scottie. Following season we won 48 games. Not sure where these terrible decisions are.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,630

Post#8 » by Mak » Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 am

Funny. Another thread where people think they are smarter than Masai.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,994

Post#9 » by CPT » Mon May 20, 2024 1:29 pm

I think he's done an awful job, but I'm still not sure there's a better replacement out there. At least not one that MLSE will find. It would be Steve Nash or some ****.

There are teams that are worse off for sure, but I don't think our situation is enviable in any form. We have Scottie, and I personally value him quite highly, but objectively speaking most teams have one or more assets of similar or higher status/value. If we were to pick most wins in the next five years (including playoffs), middle of the pack might be optimistic.

That all said, I'm fine to let Masai ride it out. The lack of faith in MLSE is part of it, but I think he still has credibility around the league. If that goes, then all bets are off.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,837

Post#10 » by ash_k » Mon May 20, 2024 1:34 pm

Mak wrote:Funny. Another thread where people think they are smarter than Masai.

so funny. If it was not for the 2nd best player of all time, we could have gotten to 4 straight Eastern Conference Finals..make it 5 , without COVID, under Masai! Then the same folks asked for his head when he picked their savior Jalen Suggs over Scottie Barnes :lol: :lol: :lol:
So funny :lol: :lol: reading those threads
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by anotherhomer » Mon May 20, 2024 1:39 pm

CPT wrote:I think he's done an awful job, but I'm still not sure there's a better replacement out there. At least not one that MLSE will find. It would be Steve Nash or some ****.

There are teams that are worse off for sure, but I don't think our situation is enviable in any form. We have Scottie, and I personally value him quite highly, but objectively speaking most teams have one or more assets of similar or higher status/value. If we were to pick most wins in the next five years (including playoffs), middle of the pack might be optimistic.

That all said, I'm fine to let Masai ride it out. The lack of faith in MLSE is part of it, but I think he still has credibility around the league. If that goes, then all bets are off.

i agree he did a bad job but at least you can tell he tried to keep the team competitive while keeping scottie....

it's difficult to pull off a retool, he sort of did that, but i guess in hindsight a rebuild should had happened in 2023 rather Scottie was made the jump or not.....

it's nice to look at the what-ifs, still the raps have nicely rebuild the team together
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by anotherhomer » Mon May 20, 2024 2:13 pm

but think of it this way....
the Utah Jazz broke up a consistent play-off team with Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gorbert and three seasons later, are still a lottery team and don't have a franchise corner player

Raptors broke up the play-in core this year but at least they have Scottie Barnes, IQ and RJ Barret, and all their picks starting in 2025

why does Danny gets a pass and Ujiri doesn't
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,942

Post#13 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 pm

Masai is going nowhere for at least two years. Everyone knows that, right? MLSE won’t be eating $15m per year plus paying his replacement.

Also, everyone knows he’ll be the most sought after executive the moment he is no longer employed by the Raptors, right?

Personally, I think he’s gone after 2025-2026 season no matter what. It will be a one of those actual mutual decisions where MLSE won’t want him back and Masai will be ready to move on anyways.
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#14 » by LascelleL » Mon May 20, 2024 2:30 pm

People are giving BC credit for Masai's team building..jesus. Yes BC brought in some pieces but there's more to team building than acquiring the assets. You have to put them in a position to succeed. Masai did that by turfing Rudy and getting a bench and then building up from that. Serge was Masai, OG was Masai, Norm was Masai, Scottie was Masai, FVV was Masai, Pascal was Masai, The Kawhi trade was Masai.

Ya'll have lost it.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,942

Post#15 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon May 20, 2024 2:32 pm

LascelleL wrote:People are giving BC credit for Masai's team building..jesus. Yes BC brought in some pieces but there's more to team building than acquiring the assets. You have to put them in a position to succeed. Masai did that by turfing Rudy and getting a bench and then building up from that. Serge was Masai, OG was Masai, Norm was Masai, Scottie was Masai, FVV was Masai, Pascal was Masai, The Kawhi trade was Masai.

Ya'll have lost it.

Don’t forget Bargnani
LascelleL
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by LascelleL » Mon May 20, 2024 2:34 pm

nivisi9 wrote:I'm actually scared it might be the opposite.

2019- Kawhi and Gasol trades = Championship
2020 - Best team in the East pushes the Celtics to 7 games without Kawhi
2021 - Tampa season.
2022 - ROY Scottie Barnes season.
2023 - Meh season 1
2024 - Rebuild acquires IQ and RJ.

This stretch has you hitting the panic button? Are you serious? Hindsight is 20/20 I get some of us wanted him to make trades earlier but part of being a GM is building relationships and maintaining them. Masai has always been about believing in his guys until proven otherwise. He ran both the DD/Lowry/JV core as far as it could go before trading for Gasol/Kawhi. He ran the FFV/Siakam/OG core until it was clear it wasn't going anywhere.

Rookies and Projects need to feel like they have security, consistency and the belief of their FO in order to excel. You can't hype him up for the good and then tear him down for the bad when he's been consistent with his philosophy which has garnered results.
LascelleL
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by LascelleL » Mon May 20, 2024 2:36 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
LascelleL wrote:People are giving BC credit for Masai's team building..jesus. Yes BC brought in some pieces but there's more to team building than acquiring the assets. You have to put them in a position to succeed. Masai did that by turfing Rudy and getting a bench and then building up from that. Serge was Masai, OG was Masai, Norm was Masai, Scottie was Masai, FVV was Masai, Pascal was Masai, The Kawhi trade was Masai.

Ya'll have lost it.

Don’t forget Bargnani

The one time Masai had a pick in the Top 5 he drafted the ROY with the 4th. BC had the #1 pick, cap space and Chris Bosh and instead of drafting a Wing like Brandon Roy or Rudy Gay or the consensus best big man in LaMarcus he drafts Bargnani.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,685

Post#18 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon May 20, 2024 2:41 pm

anotherhomer wrote:I wouldn't say worry....

Ujiri tried to navigate a retool, being competitive while bringing in youth but it never worked for various reasons such as:
- Nurse wasn't interested in player development and gave little time to fringe players
- scottie stagnating in year 2 didn't give raps confidence to rebuild around him

This is the most charitable defense of Masai I’ve ever seen :lol: :lol:

Who exactly was Nurse supposed to develop? Malachai Flynn?

And of course you overlook Masai’s mistakes of trading for Poeltl and letting FVV walk.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by anotherhomer » Mon May 20, 2024 2:53 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:I wouldn't say worry....

This is the most charitable defense of Masai I’ve ever seen :lol: :lol:

Who exactly was Nurse supposed to develop? Malachai Flynn?

And of course you overlook Masai’s mistakes of trading for Poeltl and letting FVV walk.
]

don't get me wrong, my past posts show I was a pro-tank early on in the 2022-2023 season esp for Victor Wemb and other prospects
i acknowledge ujiri misses on a lot of his smaller moves

i just think as others point out, i have little confidence a MLSE replacement will do a better job and would rather Ujiri be given a chance to turn it around the next few years
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,577

Post#20 » by BlackThought » Mon May 20, 2024 2:54 pm

He has at most 2 years I think. The team needs to see a clear direction and progress by then or else he's likely gone imo.

Return to Toronto Raptors