ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Ujiri 'feels for the fans' as rebuilding Raptors raise ticket prices again

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Re: Masai Ujiri 'feels for the fans' as rebuilding Raptors raise ticket prices again 

Post#81 » by DelAbbot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:31 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
C_Money wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
100% it's key part of their job. They build the team and know the trajectory / position on the competitive cycle, and set the pricing accordingly (also according to market demand). Masai probably has a team of MBA's on this.

He answered this question at the press conference. MLSE sets the ticket prices but they ask his input on it.

I just read the quote. He says it’s above him but he has input. I guess at end of day the FO is accountable to MLSE shareholders and have to make sure the numbers work.

The Raptors can get away with higher prices despite a crappier product. The team has a strong brand, an entire country behind them, a large city with a lot of middle class and wealthy people, plus a league with a lot of star players who draw fans even if the home team sucks. Plus Toronto is a very expensive city already, inflation is sticky, and the team is trying to make up for the lost revenue from the Tampa season. It’s a bad look on the team but they know it’s a storm they can weather.

I actually think they’ll have better luck selling tickets next season. Rather than convincing fans to come out and watch a mediocre product, the pitch will be come out and watch a rebuilding team with several young stars including a hometown boy and an All Star.

Suppose there is a level of management above Masai (not Larry T), who is more knowledgeable about the business of entertainment / consessions etc, it will still be Masai who sets the ticket prices (based on his own team's research of market conditions and team's projected performance) then submit to his superiors for approval.

At the end of the day ticket prices are set partly due to market demand, brand loyalty, and market size, AS WELL AS the projected on-court performance. The management above Masai wouldn't be so hands on to research market demand, brand loyalty, and market size, and certainly wouldn't know a thing about projected on-court performance.

Obviously, Masai isn't going to admit at a PR that he hiked ticket prices despite a subpar projected on-court performance. He has a public image to upkeep, and he doesn't need to rationalize to the public how he arrived at the price hike due to market demand, brand loyalty, and market size outweighing subpar projected on-court performance.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Re: Masai Ujiri 'feels for the fans' as rebuilding Raptors raise ticket prices again 

Post#82 » by DelAbbot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:35 am

Let's take another view on this.

MLSE judges Masai based on the profitability of this team. Masai has full control of all finances - he must, otherwise he will be absolved of responsibility of financial losses because someone else above him has control of finances is mis-pricing tickets.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#83 » by DelAbbot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 am

And1Skip wrote:
JB7 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
The key lesson is how did you explain to the kids why it's $18 at the game?

Because Rogers/Bell are evil, and Costco isn't :lol:

Yes because I work for a company where my bonuses are tied to how much we sell of our particular product to Costco so of course to me Costco isn’t. And I don’t have cable tv and my phone/data plan is paid by company. And yes my kids just sold a McDs pompoerri toy for $4 to an uncle so he knows full well why a ice cream bar is $18 at the game. And the point is not that MLSE is profiting too much that’s the lesson. The point is being smarter with money that’s all.

Someone mentioned above: it's supply and demand. No food vendor is allowed inside SBA, so MLSE has monopoly for supplying food to people attending games. When there is no competition, they can set the price to the highest they think that maximizes the profit (that people can take). If I were a mult-millionaire then the cost is low compared to the utility of eating & drinking while attending the game. But if my HH only makes 100K total living in Toronto, then that cost is too high compared to the utility of eating & drinking inside SBA - I would eat before the game
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,844

Post#84 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:53 am

Duffman100 wrote:Real easy, don't buy tickets.

About 6 years ago I deemed the ticket prices to be too high in relation to the product. I'd rather sit at home on my couch and drink reasonably priced beer while watching on a 70 inch TV.

Though, with kids now I want them to experience it at some point.

My grandson's basketball team went to a 905 game a couple weeks ago. Day game, must have been a special thing for school kids. Courtside seats, got to have a short scrimmage on the court after. 8-9 year olds. Great experience. I think you can get good entertainment from lower level of sports when you go live. I'm sure he'd like a Raptor game as he gets older though . The family has been to a couple of Jays games which are more reasonable. Though still a pricey outing for family of 5
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#85 » by DelAbbot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 am

hype_2004 wrote:Supply and demand, you fools think MLSE cares about dirt poor "hardcore" fans who rarely go to games, never buy merchandise and bitch about the teams incompetence on the message boards :lol: . There are literally hundreds on the waiting lists and thousands of affluent casual fans, families and tourists that go to games and these people are the ones that spend money. Suits laugh at you fools and they will continue to raise prices to catch up to the demand.Toronto is a world class destination and it sucks for locals who barely make ends meet, barely can pay their rent, that work multiple minimum wage part time jobs to afford buying tickets let alone merchandise, it is what it is.

how did you profile most tWo members so perfectly!!
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,844

Post#86 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 am

ItsDanger wrote:"Feels for the fans . . . sometimes . . .".

Increasingly, teams focus more on premium seating rather than general seating. As the chart indicates below, media/advertising is a huge component these days. They should at least restrict increases on 300 level tickets.

Where is legalized gambling within that pie chart! How big a piece?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,364

Post#87 » by Scase » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 am

refshateRaps wrote:
Scase wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

I'm not here to tell you how to read but as I said 'some people'. Which is far from 'painting everyone' with the same brush.

My point is you have no clue who those "some people" are. Using random people at an event having a good time who might very likely be completely comfortable spending that money/being healthy, as an example of "some people" being unhealthy/incapable of saving is pretty ignorant. But you do you I guess.

'Your point' is an attempt to drag my actual point into your own baseless narrative far away from my point.

My main point is pretty simple in the arena is grossly ripping people off. So ya I teach my kids to use their heads and with money and navigate.

My second point is most of the food is junk and again I teach them to be healthy and not over consume like many at the games do, for various reasons. None of which changes anything.

And ya I certainly have a huge clue as to why people over consume and grossly over pay at the games, been to many over the years with friends, family and coworkers, like most here. Simply an aknowledgment some people do, so that's that. And even you agree, but are stuck on feeling you need to justify the reasons peeps do like I don't know or it actually changes my points? All good if you dont agree with them but making assumptions and exaggerations simply to drag into something else? That's ignorant!

I agree with your main point, and your second point. Both are rational and legitimate, I'm simply saying you shouldn't feel the need to use random people as examples as to why you shouldn't or should do things. It's just weird, you don't need to point at people and say "Eating that food is bad for you, they are probably unhealthy and unable to save money." you could just as easily say that the food at an arena is expensive and unhealthy.

Same point gets across, without making assumptions of random people. I'm not justifying anyones actions, simply pointing out that making baseless assumptions is a **** way to teach people, it makes them also makes baseless assumptions of others. Assume positive intent, not negative. :dontknow:
Props TZ!
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,423

Post#88 » by D.Brasco » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:"Feels for the fans . . . sometimes . . .".

Increasingly, teams focus more on premium seating rather than general seating. As the chart indicates below, media/advertising is a huge component these days. They should at least restrict increases on 300 level tickets.

Where is legalized gambling within that pie chart! How big a piece?

hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#89 » by hype_2004 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:Supply and demand, you fools think MLSE cares about dirt poor "hardcore" fans who rarely go to games, never buy merchandise and bitch about the teams incompetence on the message boards :lol: . There are literally hundreds on the waiting lists and thousands of affluent casual fans, families and tourists that go to games and these people are the ones that spend money. Suits laugh at you fools and they will continue to raise prices to catch up to the demand.Toronto is a world class destination and it sucks for locals who barely make ends meet, barely can pay their rent, that work multiple minimum wage part time jobs to afford buying tickets let alone merchandise, it is what it is.

how did you profile most tWo members so perfectly!!

You got that right :lol: I'll go even further most of not all of these fools don't pay cable instead stream games or watch them in IPTVs. Why would MLSE, Rogers and Bell care about a fanbase demographics who don't pay for the games and steal revenue from the company?
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,666

Post#90 » by sbsat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Real easy, don't buy tickets.

About 6 years ago I deemed the ticket prices to be too high in relation to the product. I'd rather sit at home on my couch and drink reasonably priced beer while watching on a 70 inch TV.

Though, with kids now I want them to experience it at some point.

I let my seasons go this year. My cost went from 3800 in 2014 to 11k this year. I finally said im out and they could not care less, somehow demand os still very healthy
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,911

Post#91 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:44 pm

these sports in general are a big waste of money.. Not a good investment.. Better off buying more steaks with that money and enjoying life.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,762

Post#92 » by Badonkadonk » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 pm

I'm sure MLSE is like other companies and has a Marketing and (ideally) a Strategy or GTM function that routinely analyzes market prices not just for tickets, but broadcast rights, merch, their digital assets etc. Sure they may ask a President or COO of a franchise (like Masai) from a perspective, but that's not what his focus or wheelhouse.

As for ticket prices themselves, the brutal reality is that the GTA remains a very affluent market and... capitalism, basically. They're going to charge what they know they'll get.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#93 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:these sports in general are a big waste of money.. Not a good investment.. Better off buying more steaks with that money and enjoying life.

OF COURSE, sports and concert tickets are a waste of money. But fans still obviously crave that collective live experience. And athletes, musicians and actors love performing for a full house. Unfortunately, franchises, promoters and Ticketmaster have abused that mutual love to push prices to the limit. And they're in danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

For Game 5 of the 2019 Finals, by all rights I should sold my tickets (like I did for the first two games). KD was playing, and the Raps had a chance to close it out. As a SSHer, my tickets cost me about $800 (Row 4s on 300 level). But I could have sold them for, I dunno, $8,000 for the pair? I was hearing 300-level tickets were going for $10K. The city was going nuts. But the chance to experience the vibe, while beating KD to win the championship, was too alluring. :lol: :banghead: Although, I must admit, it was amazing to feel the crowd energy - when KD went down, early in the fourth quarter when we were behind, when Kawhi went on his big run near the end, when Kyle missed the final shot (again). I'll make more money, but I'll remember that energy for the rest of my life.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,911

Post#94 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:18 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:these sports in general are a big waste of money.. Not a good investment.. Better off buying more steaks with that money and enjoying life.

OF COURSE, sports and concert tickets are a waste of money. But fans still obviously crave that collective live experience. And athletes, musicians and actors love performing for a full house. Unfortunately, franchises, promoters and Ticketmaster have abused that mutual love to push prices to the limit. And they're in danger of killing the good that laid the golden egg. -

For Game 5 of the 2019 Finals, by all rights I should sold my tickets (like I did for the first two games). KD was playing, and the Raps had a chance to close it out. As a SSHer, my tickets cost me about $800 (Row 4s on 300 level). But I could have sold them for, I dunno, $8,000 for the pair? The city was going nuts. But the chance to experience the vibe, while beating KD to win the championship, was too alluring. :lol: :banghead: Although, I must admit, it was amazing to feel the crowd energy - when KD went down, early in the fourth quarter when we were behind, when Kawhi went on his big run near the end, when Kyle missed the final shot (again). I'll make more money, but I'll remember that energy for the rest of my life.

8k? damn!! I would of sold them with no hesitation lol
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,406

Post#95 » by TimeForChange » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:25 pm

The Clippers are doing it right

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-announce-special-season-ticket-for-the-wall-fan-section-in-new-arena-185628983.html?guccounter=1

Los Angeles Clippers fans will have an opportunity for a first-come, first-serve seat with a season ticket in the team's new arena next season.

The seats will be in "The Wall" fan section behind the opposing team's basket at the Intuit Dome. The "ultimate wall pass" is priced at $1,299 before fees and taxes. With 41 home games, that works out to approximately $32 per game. As the Clippers point out on the team's website, that's approximately half the price of a regular-season ticket.

Ultimate wall pass buyers will have seats assigned when they arrive at the arena. Depending on how early they show up, fans could sit as close as Row 3 in the section. Assigned seats will be available in Rows 3 through 51 of the section.

Read on Twitter
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,368

Post#96 » by Hero » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:31 pm

With the price it just isn't really worth it to me anymore. Especially with the product on the floor.

However, with the amount of wealth in the GTA, it appears that MSLE is able to keep raising prices and still sell tickets. It is what it is.
Don't the Clippers new arena specifically have a spot for lower cost tickets and hardcore fans?
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#97 » by ciueli » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 pm

Yeah, Masai said he feels for the fans, then right after that he checked his $100K handmade Swiss watch and said he needed to leave so he could continue being complacent about roster construction and start working on what double digit percentage they'll be raising ticket prices by next year.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,636

Post#98 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:34 pm

Pretty dumb question. Masai doesn't control tickets prices. That's a question that should be asked of execs above him.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,439

Post#99 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:27 pm

vulture wrote:Toronto in general is so expensive that I’m not sure how people are affording to live here.

Generally those who were lucky to get into the housing market before it got this crazy still have money. A lot were also shrewd enough to buy multiple properties in less desirable places before prices shot up.

Also outside of the students, a lot of the immigrants who come into the country have money even though there are negative stereotypes. They're in the country for a reason. A lot of the younger fans who made up the Raptors fan base probably have money now but also have families so they don't have as much time. It's going to be harder getting younger fans to go with these expensive prices.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#100 » by The Duke » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:01 pm

Masai answered, “I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s above me”.

Masai 100% has influence on it, he is in the room/know when it is being discussed, at some level

Return to Toronto Raptors