ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 459

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1301 » by CazOnReal » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:Well I can't see why Masai would ever want to take on Ayton.

Well for one, they tried to get him in the 2022 offseason: https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-nearly-acquired-deandre-ayton-from-the-phoenix-suns
The Raptors were reportedly close to working out a sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns last summer that would have brought the 24-year-old to Toronto, according to TSN's Josh Lewenberg. Phoenix had been reluctant to offer Ayton a max contract but an offer sheet from the Indiana Pacers eventually forced their hand, ending any hope of a sign-and-trade for Toronto, and ultimately keeping Ayton in Phoenix this season.
It's unclear what Toronto would have had to give up to acquire Ayton in the summer, however, the Suns have long been connected to multiple Raptors players. They've reportedly been interested in Gary Trent Jr., Fred VanVleet, and O.G. Anunoby, according to reports. It's possible Toronto's previous interest in Ayton could help facilitate a trade deadline deal ahead of next Thursday.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 586

Post#1302 » by Gavin_TDThree » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 am

this is going to be an extremely interesting draft/off season

Let's say the draft gods bless us with a pick that allows us to get Sarr. Is Jakob now available for trade? Let Sarr learn the 5 position in the NBA through trial and error.

With all this "flexibility", do we take on a bad contract and grab some assets?

It's hopefully going to be a really interesting summer
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 466

Post#1303 » by Smalltown » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:02 pm

Gavin_TDThree wrote:\Let's say the draft gods bless us with a pick that allows us to get Sarr. Is Jakob now available for trade?

Probably not. Their styles actually compliment each other a lot and would give Darko a lot of possibilities with match ups. The whole dump Yak to develop a rookie narrative is backwards. Having Yak actually helps with a younger Big's development.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,594

Post#1304 » by DG88 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:39 pm

What is everyone's thoughts on Kyshawn George from Miami? A jumbo guard who's 6'8 and can stroke it from 3. Looks like he has a pretty good handle and ability to use his size to shoot over defenders. Could be someone to consider with the 19th or 31st pick.

Just saw that he officially declared for the draft.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,465

Post#1305 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 pm

Smalltown wrote:
Gavin_TDThree wrote:\Let's say the draft gods bless us with a pick that allows us to get Sarr. Is Jakob now available for trade?

Probably not. Their styles actually compliment each other a lot and would give Darko a lot of possibilities with match ups. The whole dump Yak to develop a rookie narrative is backwards. Having Yak actually helps with a younger Big's development.

I probably would consider moving Yak. With Sarr in the fold, it would mean having him, Yak and Olynyk and we simply don't need that much depth and money tied up at C. Let Sarr learn what he can from the cheaper Olynyk and move Yak for assets that will help with the rebuild. If anything, we can grab a vet on a minimum deal to come in and mentor him if it's that necessary.

We could move Olynyk instead but I'm not sure the return is going to be worth it.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,568

Post#1306 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:21 pm

For once I'd like this FO to be aggressive at the draft and move up from 19. Assuming we lose our SA pick, there should be an appetite to do something.

Collier and Devin Carter probably wont be there at 19.

Furphy is 5050 to be available at 19 IMO. They might take him if they think hes BPA and roll with another kansans wing
causal_fan
Junior
And1: 333

Post#1307 » by causal_fan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:47 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:For once I'd like this FO to be aggressive at the draft and move up from 19. Assuming we lose our SA pick, there should be an appetite to do something.

Furphy is 5050 to be available at 19 IMO. They might take him if they think hes BPA and roll with another kansans wing

Couldn't disagree more - the talent is so fungible that it's not worth paying the price to move up - just hope your team does a better job of evaluating than other teams.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1308 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:59 pm

causal_fan wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:For once I'd like this FO to be aggressive at the draft and move up from 19. Assuming we lose our SA pick, there should be an appetite to do something.

Couldn't disagree more - the talent is so fungible that it's not worth paying the price to move up - just hope your team does a better job of evaluating than other teams.

It depends what they target. If Collier/Carter/Mccain all off the board and they want one of those guys, they should go after them.
Bruce Brown is also a piece they will try to move on draft night
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,641

Post#1309 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:59 pm

I'm intrigued by Kyshawn George's offensive potential but he just seems extremely slow at times and idk if defensively that'll cut it. Could just be a slightly better Nwora
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,594

Post#1310 » by DG88 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:I'm intrigued by Kyshawn George's offensive potential but he just seems extremely slow at times and idk if defensively that'll cut it. Could just be a slightly better Nwora

From the snippets I've seen he moves his feet well on defense and uses his length to contain at the POA.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#1311 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Yeah, I agree. The thing is generally this FO is legit allergic to acquiring additional first round picks.

But we shouldn't even be giving a second thought to Furphy. We have basically the exact same player in Dick, who struggled early on and is probably going to be a role player. We don't need another one of the same thing.

I said this somewhere else but it would really depend on who's on the board at that time.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#1312 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
causal_fan wrote:

It depends what they target. If Collier/Carter/Mccain all off the board and they want one of those guys, they should go after them.
Bruce Brown is also a piece they will try to move on draft night

I would probably not move Bruce Brown and simply decline his TO. That should give us some space to fill some holes before having to re-up Quickley. Moving Brown likely means taking on more long term salary, which I don't think we need to do at this point. I would look to move off of Boucher though.

Wish we had just keep the Agbaji pick.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1313 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:29 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:

Yeah, I agree. The thing is generally this FO is legit allergic to acquiring additional first round picks.

But we shouldn't even be giving a second thought to Furphy. We have basically the exact same player in Dick, who struggled early on and is probably going to be a role player. We don't need another one of the same thing.

I said this somewhere else but it would really depend on who's on the board at that time.

ya Furphy is same archetype for sure. The SA pick will give us better clarity on their to do list IMO
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,143

Post#1314 » by billy_hoyle » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:02 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

ya Furphy is same archetype for sure. The SA pick will give us better clarity on their to do list IMO

I'll wait for the measurements, but Furphy seems more like a legit small forward. Dick is a big SG. These two could play together. Furphy seems more well rounded in the Batum-mold. Which would be a nice fit, and good value at 19.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,227

Post#1315 » by niQ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

If we actually land number one and take Sarr, we have to take Devin Carter at 19.

We would go into our 30th season with a Dino-Sarr and a Carter.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,742

Post#1316 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:36 pm

niQ wrote:If we actually land number one and take Sarr, we have to take Devin Carter at 19.

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,478

Post#1317 » by JRoy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 pm

niQ wrote:If we actually land number one and take Sarr, we have to take Devin Carter at 19.

That’s pretty funny
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,158

Post#1318 » by PoundTown » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

I'll wait for the measurements, but Furphy seems more like a legit small forward. Dick is a big SG. These two could play together. Furphy seems more well rounded in the Batum-mold. Which would be a nice fit, and good value at 19.

Agreed, not the same player. Furphy a little more explosive with more potential on D. Moves feet really well for a guy his size and a bit faster in transition. Dick has more in his offensive bag, furphy better size and better defensive potential. I think Grady will be creating out of the pick and roll eventually, and being an off ball and sometimes a secondary on ball player. Furphy will probably always be more of an off ball player. I like furphy as one of the options at 19.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,591

Post#1319 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 pm

PoundTown wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Agreed, not the same player. Furphy a little more explosive with more potential on D. Moves feet really well for a guy his size and a bit faster in transition. Dick has more in his offensive bag, furphy better size and better defensive potential. I think Grady will be creating out of the pick and roll eventually, and being an off ball and sometimes a secondary on ball player. Furphy will probably always be more of an off ball player. I like furphy as one of the options at 19.

Even if they're same archetype I'd like to have two of those guys on our bench. At 19 you're not expecting a starter or star eventually. Even if you hit on a solid role player that's a win. Two movement shooters is something we could reek havoc on

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#1320 » by Thaddy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:21 pm

A good roleplayer at 19 should be the primary target. The way to do that is to grab someone that can bring a single great skill. Defense is hard to project but size and shooting are practically given. At 19/20 years old it's not crazy to think there could be improvements in conditioning and athleticism.

Return to Toronto Raptors