ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Raptors Win

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,003

Re: PG: Raptors Win 

Post#101 » by NinjaBro » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:56 pm

Pointgod wrote:What are we doing? Winning? They didn’t get the memo this is tank nation baby? Man I was hoping for that 5th seed but the 6th seed in the lottery seems a lock.
DelAbott is #TeamConvey now, that's the memo

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,137

Post#102 » by LarSiN » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:26 pm

Thaddy wrote:Barrett going hot and cold has been an issue before. Maybe he was flashing his ability and he's going to be consistent here. The percentages are crazy right now and he's thriving as a third option. It would be great if he came in next year and because a MIP candidate. It would speed up our chances to become contenders.

Quick is going to be an all star. The passing was suspect but he's similar to RJ in going on a great streak, that looks like true improve instead of a flash.

The next step is a forward isolation scorer and replacing Poeltl with a stretch C. I don't see Gradey as a long term starter. He's never going to be a great defensive player and I don't like RJ as a forward. RJ is much better as a larger guard similar to DeRozan.

Agbaji is good in that he isn't demanding shots but he is incapable of being in the right place at the right time. He does okay against guards but can't cover power forwards like Portis. Delvin mentioned Gradey is promoted and has a green light above the break. Should Agbaji have that? He has and its been bad. I'm not sure what the issue is other than conditioning, maybe losing some bulk? But a defensive guard that can't handle the ball isn't going to substantially impact the game like a universal defender.

What an odd prediction
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#103 » by mihaic » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:26 pm

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I mean, we’ve actually been okay when our guys actually play.

Acting like our losing streak that had our top 4 guys out and like 6 out of top 8 is indicative of anything is stupid

I don’t think they are 24 win on the season or 15 game losing streak bad, but are they better than 32 wins right now, which would put them in 11th? I’m not confident in that and once you’re there, what really is the point?

For me it's even less about that placement, and more about the ceiling I perceive that core to have. But yeah, finishing next season with like 30 wins just seems like another treadmill retool trajectory, and I'm not here for it. The team would still continue to lack high end talent, and absolutely no bench to speak of. Empty calorie wins.

I agree with your take, but don't get too carried away when the Raps play without 5 of their best 6. The game is irrelevant.

I think the fact they handled Milwaukee with Dame and Middleton playing is encouraging. Iq and rj are good. Gary is making a case too, lately. I think he improved quietly, or he fits in Darko offense
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#104 » by dagger » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:40 pm

That Bucks team was better with Griffin as coach than Doc, which is not that surprising to me. I don't know how Doc got this reputation as a great head coach, but his last few stops suggest he is massively overrated.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,509

Post#105 » by Scase » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:23 pm

mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
I don’t think they are 24 win on the season or 15 game losing streak bad, but are they better than 32 wins right now, which would put them in 11th? I’m not confident in that and once you’re there, what really is the point?

For me it's even less about that placement, and more about the ceiling I perceive that core to have. But yeah, finishing next season with like 30 wins just seems like another treadmill retool trajectory, and I'm not here for it. The team would still continue to lack high end talent, and absolutely no bench to speak of. Empty calorie wins.

I agree with your take, but don't get too carried away when the Raps play without 5 of their best 6. The game is irrelevant.

I think the fact they handled Milwaukee with Dame and Middleton playing is encouraging. Iq and rj are good. Gary is making a case too, lately. I think he improved quietly, or he fits in Darko offense

I dont by any stretch think IQ/RJ are bad, I just don't see RJ as a long term fit/ key peice on a winning team. His game is way too limited. IQ I definitely see fitting in. As for GTJ, if he is a 20-ish mpg guy off the bench, I'm down. If he is a starter, no thanks. He is WAY too inconsistent to be someone we rely on to win games.
Props TZ!
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,283

Post#106 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:39 pm

Scase wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:For me it's even less about that placement, and more about the ceiling I perceive that core to have. But yeah, finishing next season with like 30 wins just seems like another treadmill retool trajectory, and I'm not here for it. The team would still continue to lack high end talent, and absolutely no bench to speak of. Empty calorie wins.

I dont by any stretch think IQ/RJ are bad, I just don't see RJ as a long term fit/ key peice on a winning team. His game is way too limited. IQ I definitely see fitting in. As for GTJ, if he is a 20-ish mpg guy off the bench, I'm down. If he is a starter, no thanks. He is WAY too inconsistent to be someone we rely on to win games.

RJ played quite well for the Knicks on their playoff run last year. IMO he is sort of like Joe Johnson; definitely not a bad player to have for a playoff team. He is not top 10 though (no one on our team is but most teams don’t have a top 10 type of player).
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,552

Post#107 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:44 pm

I have nothing but love and respect for RJ. I'm not sure how he is able to get to the basket and score but he does it and often. That can be taken away in the playoffs especially. I hope he hits the gym and improves his shooting in the offseason.

Former #3 overall pick and he can get his 20ish points and not be a huge liability. He is now performing like a true former #3 overall pick...and he's doing it in his home town. I hope he is a Raptor for a long time. I love his compete level.

Other than the poor free throw shooting...he has exceeded my expectations for him coming over in the trade.
Scase
RealGM

Post#108 » by Scase » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:48 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Scase wrote:
mihaic wrote:I agree with your take, but don't get too carried away when the Raps play without 5 of their best 6. The game is irrelevant.

RJ played quite well for the Knicks on their playoff run last year. IMO he is sort of like Joe Johnson; definitely not a bad player to have for a playoff team. He is not top 10 though (no one on our team is but most teams don’t have a top 10 type of player).

He's a less versatile Siakam/DD level player IMO, he's alright to bridge the gap, but not a key piece to win. I see him as a trade piece in the future for a much better player though.
Props TZ!
mihaic
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by mihaic » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:16 pm

Scase wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Scase wrote:I dont by any stretch think IQ/RJ are bad, I just don't see RJ as a long term fit/ key peice on a winning team. His game is way too limited. IQ I definitely see fitting in. As for GTJ, if he is a 20-ish mpg guy off the bench, I'm down. If he is a starter, no thanks. He is WAY too inconsistent to be someone we rely on to win games.

He's a less versatile Siakam/DD level player IMO, he's alright to bridge the gap, but not a key piece to win. I see him as a trade piece in the future for a much better player though.

He's better on D than Demar. He is still young, I don't remember exactly but my feeling is that Demar at same age as RJ's was a lesser player. I am too lazy to check stats :)

What RJ needs to develop is a mid-range, if he does he will be very good.
Scase
RealGM

Post#110 » by Scase » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:20 pm

mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

He's better on D than Demar. He is still young, I don't remember exactly but my feeling is that Demar at same age as RJ's was a lesser player. I am too lazy to check stats :)

It's a wash, DD was better offensively, and RJ is better defensively. Same tier of player though.
Props TZ!
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,872

Post#111 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:20 pm

mtcan wrote:I have nothing but love and respect for RJ. I'm not sure how he is able to get to the basket and score but he does it and often. That can be taken away in the playoffs especially. I hope he hits the gym and improves his shooting in the offseason.

Former #3 overall pick and he can get his 20ish points and not be a huge liability. He is now performing like a true former #3 overall pick...and he's doing it in his home town. I hope he is a Raptor for a long time. I love his compete level.

Other than the poor free throw shooting...he has exceeded my expectations for him coming over in the trade.

It is totally great to see. In terms of taking away his penetration in the playoffs, I would agree that would happen if he was the number one option, but with the attention Scottie and IQ will get ahead of him, those lanes should still be open
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,552

Post#112 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:25 pm

mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

I think a lot of the negative sentiment towards RJ comes from his Knicks days when he was basically made to camp out in the 3 point line to catch and shoot or take inefficient mid-range shots. His shooting consistency needs work for sure but in Toronto, I have never seen him drive to the basket so relentlessly and this has changes his game significantly.

His play as a Raptor vs as a Knicks is night-and-day. Yes...the tunnel still exists but to a lesser extent and I'm not complaining when he's scoring on the majority of the drives either as baskets or free throws.

A consistent 20 ppg scorer who does it efficiently and isn't a net negative on D...that's not simply a bridge piece. Work on the shooting and he's a legit 3rd or 4th option on a winning team.
mihaic
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by mihaic » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:32 pm

mtcan wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:He's a less versatile Siakam/DD level player IMO, he's alright to bridge the gap, but not a key piece to win. I see him as a trade piece in the future for a much better player though.

I think a lot of the negative sentiment towards RJ comes from his Knicks days when he was basically made to camp out in the 3 point line to catch and shoot or take inefficient mid-range shots. His shooting consistency needs work for sure but in Toronto, I have never seen him drive to the basket so relentlessly and this has changes his game significantly.

His play as a Raptor vs as a Knicks is night-and-day. Yes...the tunnel still exists but to a lesser extent and I'm not complaining when he's scoring on the majority of the drives either as baskets or free throws.

A consistent 20 ppg scorer who does it efficiently and isn't a net negative on D...that's not simply a bridge piece. Work on the shooting and he's a legit 3rd or 4th option on a winning team.

I agree. But he is missing the midrange. He gets that, he'll be a great #2 option, better than Pascal.
Scase
RealGM

Post#114 » by Scase » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:34 pm

mtcan wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:He's a less versatile Siakam/DD level player IMO, he's alright to bridge the gap, but not a key piece to win. I see him as a trade piece in the future for a much better player though.

The issue is that his game on the raps is easy to shut down, just deny passes, thats it. He's got no real outside shot, if he develops a mid range, then maybe. But as of now, he's playing largely the same as he did in NYC, he's just getting way more of his shots assisted on.

Just to be clear, I dont think hes a bad player, I just think he's very limited.
Props TZ!
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,331

Post#115 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:13 pm

Chandan wrote:Dame has only fouled out 7 times in his career

Hard to foul out when you usually don't play defense. Today he got caught trying to play offense on defense a few times lol
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#116 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:53 pm

Potential wrote:What the **** is up with the Buck? They suck

Read on Twitter

Was Giannis out for all three?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,643

Post#117 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:12 pm

I just came here to point out the vibes from Scottie last night on the sidelines. He's a real Toronto mans now lol

In Raptor Ball I Trust
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,268

Post#118 » by TorontoBarneys » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:16 pm

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,143

Post#119 » by DelAbbot » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:35 pm

TheAlchemist23 wrote:Raptors show w/ Grange were setting up the exit of Masai today, good day

Dont play with my heart.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,872

Post#120 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:37 pm

Scase wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Scase wrote:For me it's even less about that placement, and more about the ceiling I perceive that core to have. But yeah, finishing next season with like 30 wins just seems like another treadmill retool trajectory, and I'm not here for it. The team would still continue to lack high end talent, and absolutely no bench to speak of. Empty calorie wins.

Limited how? It's not pretty, but that doesn't make it limited. Who on the team can get to the rim like him? If he has a skill that no one else has on the team, and it results in high percentage shots, then it's extremely valuable. He also is a great playmaker and passer, with a decent shot, and is not a pylon on defence.

Return to Toronto Raptors