ImageImageImageImageImage

Worst Case Scenario - no 1st round pick

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,197

Re: Worst Case Scenario - no 1st round pick 

Post#21 » by gerrit4 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:25 pm

It's possible, but very unlikely.

My guess is that we end up with #18 and #31, and the pick conveys to San Antonio. Which is fine. It stinks to have such a bad season and not get a reward from it, but I think there will be some solid players available at #18 and #31 (or whatever they end up being).
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,140

Post#22 » by DelAbbot » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:27 pm

pbernardi wrote:Having no pick in this year, means we have all the picks for the next years. It is a win in my book, specially if this is really a crappy draft class as sold.

I support this outcome and it's full of positivity
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,166

Post#23 » by PoundTown » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:37 pm

Psubs wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Yes that would be terrible.

But.. Raps pick gets bumped to #1. Indiana pick goes #4. We end up with two top 5 picks. WIN!

I like the cut of your jib.

Who to draft if that happens? Sarr and Risacher...... FCUK French Connections Ultimate Kickass!

If I’m drafting first I’m going sarr in this draft. I think he will have an Evan mobley type impact and in this draft that is definitely first overall.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,589

Post#24 » by bluerap23 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:48 pm

anotherhomer wrote:Hear me out, but here's the worst case Scenario for Raptors:

Indiana Pacers gets bumped down to play-in, lose the play-in and end-up in lottery.
Because the lottery only determines who gets into the top 4, then the rest gets bumped down accordingly

say indiana pacers jump 10 spots into top 3, then Raps will automatically drop to 7

Since Indiana pick is top 3 protected, then raps have no 1st round picks to account for this crappy season

talk about really crappy

Way worse scenario:
Raps keep pick at 6 and get Pacers at 17 or whatever. Draft 2 shite players in an all-time bad draft. Have another shite season and relay our pick to SA in a way stronger draft.
In your scenario at least we get two good picks in a much stronger draft next year.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,003

Post#25 » by NinjaBro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:48 pm

DelAbbot wrote:holy smokes, not even I dreamed of that scenario

bravo!
This has to be Steelo Green's burner account. Who the hell has time in the day to run all these permutations of worst possible outcomes?

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,930

Post#26 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:03 pm

Wouldn't be the worst thing, pick conveys and now Raptors own their pick in a stronger draft next year.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,140

Post#27 » by DelAbbot » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:17 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:Hear me out, but here's the worst case Scenario for Raptors:

Indiana Pacers gets bumped down to play-in, lose the play-in and end-up in lottery.
Because the lottery only determines who gets into the top 4, then the rest gets bumped down accordingly

say indiana pacers jump 10 spots into top 3, then Raps will automatically drop to 7

Since Indiana pick is top 3 protected, then raps have no 1st round picks to account for this crappy season

talk about really crappy

Way worse scenario:
Raps keep pick at 6 and get Pacers at 17 or whatever. Draft 2 shite players in an all-time bad draft. Have another shite season and relay our pick to SA in a way stronger draft.
In your scenario at least we get two good picks in a much stronger draft next year.

You win thread.

close thread.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,288

Post#28 » by mrdressup » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:24 pm

It's likelier than we pick in the top 4. It's also possible that it's not the best case scenario. We might get exactly what we want and not come out of it better than the team that gets a gem in the low 20s.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,192

Post#29 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:26 pm

Psubs wrote:

But.. Raps pick gets bumped to #1. Indiana pick goes #4. We end up with two top 5 picks. WIN!

I like the cut of your jib.

Who to draft if that happens? Sarr and Risacher...... FCUK French Connections Ultimate Kickass!

the two g-league igniters :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,455

Post#30 » by TimeForChange » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:29 pm

the raptors would have top-5 center Jakob Poeltl locked up for another 3 years
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Post#31 » by Chandan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:32 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

After all the complaining all season, this result would be hilarious.

“But but But it’s the worst draft ever!”

I can I read/hear it now

I believe that's the argument people used to talk up the Poeltl trade. And of course Masai apologists will say this if he blotches the picks.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,192

Post#32 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:36 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:holy smokes, not even I dreamed of that scenario

bravo!
This has to be Steelo Green's burner account. Who the hell has time in the day to run all these permutations of worst possible outcomes?

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson

funny, the thing they didnt want to trade Bufkin

Atlanta did reportedly offer Toronto a deal involving De’Andre Hunter, sophomore AJ Griffin, and draft pick compensation for the Raptors’ 6-foot-9 forward but “the Raptors are believed to have upped the price on any possible deal at each turn,” Charania reported.

looking at those players now, those players with VORP Griffin 0.4, DeAndre Hunter -0.7 Bufkin N/A

they really should have just given Bufkin lmao. Seeing how the Siakam effect in Indiana is going down. hard to say who won that trade.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,877

Post#33 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:38 pm

Chandan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:After all the complaining all season, this result would be hilarious.

I can I read/hear it now

I believe that's the argument people used to talk up the Poeltl trade. And of course Masai apologists will say this if he blotches the picks.

I respect Masai’s front office abilities. Would even go as far to be a fan boy of his.

However if he botches a top-4 pick, that is inexcusable given the current state of the team.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Post#34 » by Chandan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:44 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Chandan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

I can I read/hear it now

I respect Masai’s front office abilities. Would even go as far to be a fan boy of his.

However if he botches a top-4 pick, that is inexcusable given the current state of the team.

His drafting is the only thing I don't worry much about.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#35 » by mihaic » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:18 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:I can think of a number of worse things.

Drinking spoiled milk.
Getting hit by a truck.
Reading another thread like this.

I actually like the plain kefir. Sour but good.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#36 » by mihaic » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:29 pm

Chandan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Chandan wrote:

True. Drafting is pretty good. Trades are more or less ok with a couple misses (Thad was not needed, and Poeltl protection should have been lottery) .

But he almost always overpays when reupping his players, and when signing FAs. And the cap management was sub-par in the last offseason. So, I am afraid he will give too much to IQ and possibly to Gary. Which will kill us when we max Scottie. He is also waiting too long on decisions involving his own players - e.g. Fred.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Post#37 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:35 pm

mihaic wrote:
Chandan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

True. Drafting is pretty good. Trades are more or less ok with a couple misses (Thad was not needed, and Poeltl protection should have been lottery) .

But he almost always overpays when reupping his players, and when signing FAs. And the cap management was sub-par in the last offseason. So, I am afraid he will give too much to IQ and possibly to Gary. Which will kill us when we max Scottie. He is also waiting too long on decisions involving his own players - e.g. Fred.

He always overpays?

Seriously - how many bad contracts have we ever had of any substance? DMC?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Post#38 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:39 pm

Chandan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:After all the complaining all season, this result would be hilarious.

I can I read/hear it now

I think most people expected the Poeltl trade to convey in the teens, not the top 7.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,508

Post#39 » by Scase » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:49 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

After all the complaining all season, this result would be hilarious.

I can I read/hear it now

TBF I've heard this to defend both sides. Personally, if we get even just one more year of tanking hard in a good draft, I'd be content to see where we go with it. I'd rather us ultimately keep this year and the next, and convey 2026.

But if I could say of the 2 years in question, I'd rather convey this year, and have an awful year next year with a high pick, vs the inverse.
Props TZ!
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,835

Post#40 » by TheRealDeal » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:02 pm

pbernardi wrote:Having no pick in this year, means we have all the picks for the next years. It is a win in my book, specially if this is really a crappy draft class as sold.

I’m ready to move on from the Poeltl deal. Having to hear about it for another year would not be fun

This is a historically bad draft. 2013 vibes. The people acting like conveying the pick this year would be a disaster are clueless

That said, I won’t be upset if we do end up in the top 4

Return to Toronto Raptors