ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

will
RealGM
And1: 49,931
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5 

Post#181 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:14 pm

tanuki1031 wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:The Carter effect generation was Corey Joseph and TT, not the current young guns

Um no.... have you not listened to say Jamal or Dillon? Shai loved him some Bosh and Ford, but without Vince, the Raptors could have been the Grizzlies... then what? That's not hyperbole... I remember that time very well... the Raptors were a broken organisation.

The growth of development programs across the country can be traced back to the Vince Carter era when the sport really exploded in Canada. Growth has to start somewhere, and Vince was the seedling... now we have a healthy and growing tree. Without Vince? As much as I loved Shareef... he didn't move the needle.

Shai may have grew up with the Bosh Raptors but his basketball journey is wholly a Steve Nash influence. He literally calls himself the Black Steve Nash.

Complete with the Steve Nash finger licking (pause) + numerous hair swipes.

Only if SGA went with the prime DJ Quik hairstyle.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Post#182 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 9, 2024 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,761

Post#183 » by OakleyDokely » Thu May 9, 2024 3:29 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,718

Post#184 » by binjumper » Thu May 9, 2024 3:46 pm

raptorforlife88 wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:
Um no.... have you not listened to say Jamal or Dillon? Shai loved him some Bosh and Ford, but without Vince, the Raptors could have been the Grizzlies... then what? That's not hyperbole... I remember that time very well... the Raptors were a broken organisation.

The growth of development programs across the country can be traced back to the Vince Carter era when the sport really exploded in Canada. Growth has to start somewhere, and Vince was the seedling... now we have a healthy and growing tree. Without Vince? As much as I loved Shareef... he didn't move the needle.

It's absolutely hyperbole. Carter had a real positive effect on the growth of basketball for sure. The idea that we'd be the Grizzlies is ridiculous because it fundamentally does not register the fact that Vancouver and Toronto are two entirely different markets.

At that time the population of the metro Toronto area was significantly more than twice as high as Vancouver and that makes a difference. Toronto is a major city now, but it was a large North American market back then as well.

The media market, the potential fan base, the number of people available to buy tickets, you can't just ignore that stuff.

It's always ridiculous to say we would have been the Grizzlies because Vancouver was just a significantly smaller market.

Totally agree anyone who thinks raptors would have become the grizz know nothing about what happened back then. Toronto was going to succeed regardless. There is a reason Toronto has a team in every major sport except NFL.
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#185 » by Corson27 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:52 pm

It's a Raptors Hall of Fame party!
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#186 » by Corson27 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:54 pm

binjumper wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:

It's absolutely hyperbole. Carter had a real positive effect on the growth of basketball for sure. The idea that we'd be the Grizzlies is ridiculous because it fundamentally does not register the fact that Vancouver and Toronto are two entirely different markets.

At that time the population of the metro Toronto area was significantly more than twice as high as Vancouver and that makes a difference. Toronto is a major city now, but it was a large North American market back then as well.

The media market, the potential fan base, the number of people available to buy tickets, you can't just ignore that stuff.

It's always ridiculous to say we would have been the Grizzlies because Vancouver was just a significantly smaller market.

Totally agree anyone who thinks raptors would have become the grizz know nothing about what happened back then. Toronto was going to succeed regardless. There is a reason Toronto has a team in every major sport except NFL.

And the flip side argument is there is a reason the NFL (the highest revenue sport in North America) does not have a team in Toronto lol.
Wise80
Senior
And1: 560

Post#187 » by Wise80 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:05 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

**** man. Would of been the most exciting duo in history. Must see tv.

Probably wouldn't of won anything because they're both losers. But maybe it turns out differently if they stayed together.

What could of been.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,311

Post#188 » by YogurtProducer » Thu May 9, 2024 8:58 pm

Corson27 wrote:
binjumper wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:

And the flip side argument is there is a reason the NFL (the highest revenue sport in North America) does not have a team in Toronto lol.

Politics really with the CFL.

I am pretty sure one day the NFL will be in Toronto - probably when the next expansion takes place. What that means for the CFL I have no clue but I don't see why the CFL and NFL cannot coexist as the seasons are vastly different
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#189 » by Corson27 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:59 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
binjumper wrote:

I am pretty sure one day the NFL will be in Toronto - probably when the next expansion takes place. What that means for the CFL I have no clue but I don't see why the CFL and NFL cannot coexist as the seasons are vastly different

The CFL is such a Mickey Mouse entity, it can and will be paid if the NFL were to ever move here. The Bills are a much bigger threat to market share vulturing than the friggin Argonauts lol. There's just no appetite from the number 1 sports league to expand here yet.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,971

Post#190 » by wegotthabeet » Thu May 9, 2024 11:34 pm

Corson27 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Corson27 wrote:

The CFL is such a Mickey Mouse entity, it can and will be paid if the NFL were to ever move here. The Bills are a much bigger threat to market share vulturing than the friggin Argonauts lol. There's just no appetite from the number 1 sports league to expand here yet.

The NFL has very strict ownership rules. If you think they don’t want in on a potential 40 million person market then you’re crazy.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#191 » by Corson27 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 am

I want a team in Toronto as much as anyone but it is not a priority for the NFL; nor have they ever recently shown they actively care about expanding to the Toronto market. The Bills Skydome series 20 years ago or whatever was a complete failure and the League. Times have changed, of course, but there's nobody banging the drum down South about having an NFL team here lol.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,971

Post#192 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 10, 2024 1:31 am

Corson27 wrote:I want a team in Toronto as much as anyone but it is not a priority for the NFL; nor have they ever recently shown they actively care about expanding to the Toronto market. The Bills Skydome series 20 years ago or whatever was a complete failure and the League. Times have changed, of course, but there's nobody banging the drum down South about having an NFL team here lol.

All it takes is one guy.

If there was a billionaire interested in building a stadium and bringing a team here they’d be at the top of the list. No way to grow the nfl beyond international expansion or hosting games internationally now that LA and Vegas have teams.
rapsfanz420
Junior
And1: 293

Post#193 » by rapsfanz420 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:14 am

With how bad of a failure the Bills in Toronto was, NFL isn’t coming back to Toronto, until they have an acceptable NFL stadium.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#194 » by Corson27 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:21 am

If we thought American free agents didn’t want to come to Toronto (or stay in Toronto) before with the Raptors, it’d be even more magnified with the NFL lol. Especially since the extreme majority of the players are American because football isn’t as global as basketball. MLB has no salary cap so at least they can just throw absurd amounts of money at players; which as we’re seeing with the Jays, doesn’t always work.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,628

Post#195 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:32 am

Corson27 wrote:If we thought American free agents didn’t want to come to Toronto (or stay in Toronto) before with the Raptors, it’d be even more magnified with the NFL lol. Especially since the extreme majority of the players are American because football isn’t as global as basketball. MLB has no salary cap so at least they can just throw absurd amounts of money at players; which as we’re seeing with the Jays, doesn’t always work.

NFL players don't usually scoff at a Job, especially without guaranteed contracts. They go wherever they're paid. Plus it takes forever to hit free agency

In Raptor Ball I Trust
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 459

Post#196 » by 6ixpessant » Sat May 11, 2024 1:34 pm

binjumper wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:

Sorry my man, but revisionist history vibes.

Back then, you didn't get the same depth of information to the media and what not. There were massive ownership issues, and there were parties outside of Toronto sniffing around. There were also some concerns from within the NBA offices.

One can't quantify certain things that come from family that may be closer to situations that most people.

Anyway... whatever. Not a problem now. I just wish the devaluing of Vince Carter's impact would stop... it's just a cir*** j*** of a certain demographic.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#197 » by Corson27 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:36 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Corson27 wrote:If we thought American free agents didn’t want to come to Toronto (or stay in Toronto) before with the Raptors, it’d be even more magnified with the NFL lol. Especially since the extreme majority of the players are American because football isn’t as global as basketball. MLB has no salary cap so at least they can just throw absurd amounts of money at players; which as we’re seeing with the Jays, doesn’t always work.

NFL players don't usually scoff at a Job, especially without guaranteed contracts. They go wherever they're paid. Plus it takes forever to hit free agency

In every sport, yes scrubs and lesser players will always go where they are paid. Anyways this is a moot point lol. The NFL has no interest in expanding to Toronto.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#198 » by Corson27 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:37 pm

6ixpessant wrote:
binjumper wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:

Back then, you didn't get the same depth of information to the media and what not. There were massive ownership issues, and there were parties outside of Toronto sniffing around. There were also some concerns from within the NBA offices.

One can't quantify certain things that come from family that may be closer to situations that most people.

Anyway... whatever. Not a problem now. I just wish the devaluing of Vince Carter's impact would stop... it's just a cir*** j*** of a certain demographic.

Yep, same circlejerk of people is the most correct description of people undervaluing VC's impact on basketball here lol
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#199 » by Corson27 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:35 pm

On Friday, the native of Kitchener, Ont. did his best imitation of the soon-to-be Hall of Famer.

Booed loudly by Minnesota Timberwolves fans in Game 3 after he threw a heat pad on the court in frustration in a Game 2 loss, the Denver Nuggets star embraced the hate and delivered an outstanding performance.

“Vince was my favourite player growing up,” Murray said after scoring 24 points in a 117-90 win, cutting Minnesota’s lead to 2-1 in the Western Conference semifinal.

“Every time he touched the ball, he got booed. I think he had a really good game playing against Toronto.”

Indeed, Carter scored 39 points that night to lead the Nets to a victory in front of a truly hostile crowd. Months earlier, the Raptors traded Carter, who had become frustrated with the organization, in a deal that turned out to be tremendously one-sided in favour of the Nets.
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,718

Post#200 » by binjumper » Sun May 12, 2024 9:19 pm

Corson27 wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:
binjumper wrote:

Yep, same circlejerk of people is the most correct description of people undervaluing VC's impact on basketball here lol

I didn't devalue his impact, but if you think he is the sole reason we have a franchise is just dunce talk.

Return to Toronto Raptors