ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Do We Want To Keep The Pick This Year?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Re: Why Do We Want To Keep The Pick This Year? 

Post#301 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:18 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
if Lebron went to the Clippers (if they somehow won the draft) first overall, he would have been surrounded with the best players, esp in LA trying to get out of the shadow of the lakers.

Also doesn't hurt that he is essentially the second GOAT. Dude would've had his legacy just as huge, when a guy chooses to go to a garbage team like the Cavs a second time, with the sole purpose of winning a chip, and then wins a chip. He would be fine no matter where he lands.

And I'm a certified Lebron hater lol.

LeBron made the finals I think 9 out of the 13 seasons he was in the East, and 1 (bubble playoffs) out of 3 seasons out West (albeit when he was near the end of his career).

I don't think in a stacked West he makes it to the Finals as often as he did in the East, which generally sucked most of his career. A big part of his legacy is how often he has been to the show.

But on the flip side, he does not play as good of a team in the finals. So probably less final appearances, same # of rings.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,400

Post#302 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:53 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
JB7 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Raptors sure did catch teams off guard in Barnes' rookie season when Canada put on stringent Covid testing requirements for crossing the border that NBA players just skipped coming into Canada, so we won against a bunch of G leaguers.

They had the same record on the road as at home that season 24-17

What does that have to do with those wins against Utah and GSW G leaguers?

Btw how did that core which caught some teams off guard do the next season? Fools gold

They still performed on the road, where teams could have their full squads. Every team that year probably had games where they or their opposition was missing a lot of their lineup due to COVID.

And about the fouls gold, that was the comparison I was trying to make to the Magic. Let's see if the Magic can re-create their success next year, or if like the Raps in 2021-22, they just caught teams off guard this year.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,400

Post#303 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:Also doesn't hurt that he is essentially the second GOAT. Dude would've had his legacy just as huge, when a guy chooses to go to a garbage team like the Cavs a second time, with the sole purpose of winning a chip, and then wins a chip. He would be fine no matter where he lands.

And I'm a certified Lebron hater lol.

LeBron made the finals I think 9 out of the 13 seasons he was in the East, and 1 (bubble playoffs) out of 3 seasons out West (albeit when he was near the end of his career).

I don't think in a stacked West he makes it to the Finals as often as he did in the East, which generally sucked most of his career. A big part of his legacy is how often he has been to the show.

But on the flip side, he does not play as good of a team in the finals. So probably less final appearances, same # of rings.

True, the hard part would be getting through the West. But would he be viewed differently if he only made it to the finals in 4 of the 21 seasons he played?
geokilla
Pro Prospect
And1: 604

Post#304 » by geokilla » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=JjwP7iXF4lHrN9ozbAjOtw

Knowing the NBA, the pick is going to the Spurs this year. Hopefully it does convey to the Spurs so that we actually get a good pick in a meaningful draft next year. No point getting a top 6 in a weak draft.
SpezNc
Rookie
And1: 586

Post#305 » by SpezNc » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:02 am

geokilla wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=JjwP7iXF4lHrN9ozbAjOtw

Knowing the NBA, the pick is going to the Spurs this year. Hopefully it does convey to the Spurs so that we actually get a good pick in a meaningful draft next year. No point getting a top 6 in a weak draft.

I am not sure I get that argument. You may prefer pick #9 next year rather than pick #6 but keeping our pick also means that 35 out of our 44% is actually a top4 pick. 9% is for the very top pick.

Also the protection rollover next year.

I understand the argument of having a preference for conveying the pick. But getting a top6 pick is nit meaningless IMO. Especially considering that should we keep it, it’s more likely than not of becoming a top4 pick.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,772

Post#306 » by metafisical » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:19 am

We are still lacking talent. BBQ and Poeltl, all healthy, is still a play-in team. We need more talent to be a solid team that can make noise in the playoffs. We need as much high end draft talent (top 6 picks from the both 2024 and 2025 drafts, not either or) as possible, along with shrewd trades.

Ideally, I would like to give the Spurs 2 2nds. Likely that won't happen so my next wish is conveying to the Spurs a pick in the late 20s, not in the top 10.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.

Return to Toronto Raptors