ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,700

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1901 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:37 pm

SharoneWright wrote:A team that drafts Edey in the lottery better not view him as an ancillary piece, but better be willing to alter their whole offense and even roster (to a degree) to cater to the big man's strengths. It makes taking Edey such a huge commitment and gamble.

Teams that could change their play to incorporate Edey....

Detroit
Charlotte
Washington
Atlanta
Chicago
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,233

Post#1902 » by Reeko » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:43 pm

Pretty wild that people are talking about taking Edey 1st overall.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1903 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:09 pm

Reeko wrote:Pretty wild that people are talking about taking Edey 1st overall.

:crazy: Well Thabeet, Sam Bowie and Emeka Okafor did go #2. Eddy Curry went #4.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,165

Post#1904 » by billy_hoyle » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:31 pm

Psubs wrote:

Don't disparage Emeka Okafor like that. He was a solid player. Did you mean Jahil?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,921

Post#1905 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:31 pm

Psubs wrote:

And Bargs went...
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,233

Post#1906 » by Reeko » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:35 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

And Bargs went...

When looking at Bargs purely from a skillset perspective it's easy to see why he went 1st overall.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,283

Post#1907 » by Raptorfan2012 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:37 pm

1st overall is wild but I would be fine if we picked Edey with the Pacers pick. At worse he can be a back up to Jak - grab a few rebounds and provide a bit of rim protection. At best, he proves he can be a starting calibre center and we can ship Jak for other pieces.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#1908 » by CazOnReal » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:03 pm

God Squad wrote:Which players would you feel down if selected? I haven't given this draft too much time, waiting until the lottery. But from what I've seen, and relitive to mocks/board hype. I'm pretty much done with Salaun and Missi. Salaun looks totally lost on defense and his jumper and athelestism look overrated. Missi seems almost non existant in the games that I watched. Missi would be at the bottom of big bigman first round tier.

Only player in that 10 range I have strong negative feelings towards is Robbie. Everyone else i'm either indifferent to or is not Sarr (who is the only player in that range i'm super thrilled about the idea of).

Small guards who can't defend are a hard sell, especially when Quickley a) is pretty small in his own right and b) his defensive prowess from New York hasn't really stood out in his short Toronto tenure.

This team needs size and defense.
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

And Bargs went...

Never forget Aldridge was drafted right after (and was the correct choice at the time, not in hindsight; LaMarcus was the top player coming out of college at the time. Bargnani never should have gone 1st).
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1909 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:11 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Don't disparage Emeka Okafor like that. He was a solid player. Did you mean Jahil?

Both, but ya, Jahlil at #3 was bad.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1910 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:12 pm

CazOnReal wrote:
God Squad wrote:Which players would you feel down if selected? I haven't given this draft too much time, waiting until the lottery. But from what I've seen, and relitive to mocks/board hype. I'm pretty much done with Salaun and Missi. Salaun looks totally lost on defense and his jumper and athelestism look overrated. Missi seems almost non existant in the games that I watched. Missi would be at the bottom of big bigman first round tier.

Only player in that 10 range I have strong negative feelings towards is Robbie. Everyone else i'm either indifferent to or is not Sarr (who is the only player in that range i'm super thrilled about the idea of).

Small guards who can't defend are a hard sell, especially when Quickley a) is pretty small in his own right and b) his defensive prowess from New York hasn't really stood out in his short Toronto tenure.

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

And Bargs went...

Never forget Aldridge was drafted right after (and was the correct choice at the time, not in hindsight; LaMarcus was the top player coming out of college at the time. Bargnani never should have gone 1st).

Dillingham looks like Malik Monk 2.0.

Bargnani should've been like 4 or 5 like Kristaps Porzingis.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#1911 » by CazOnReal » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:16 pm

Psubs wrote:
Dillingham looks like Malik Monk 2.0.

Bargnani should've been like 4 or 5 like Kristaps Porzingis.

Even more reason to not draft him.

We can be the team that will overpay Malik Monk (and regret it) this offseason, there's no reason to draft someone who can be Monk in like 3 years.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,236

Post#1912 » by niQ » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,326

Post#1913 » by Dalek » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:15 pm

Psubs wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Both, but ya, Jahlil at #3 was bad.

I think people tend to forget that Deandre Ayton went number 1 overall in 2018. But, to me he is the most recent pick that is closest to Edey as far as style. Although Edey is bigger and likely more physical.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,326

Post#1914 » by Dalek » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:22 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I was about to post this. I really like this kid. It would be cool to have another Canadian kid as a Raptor, especially one who has his type of flare playing the game. He is 6'3 but he uses his flexibility and balance to bend around defenders to finish well and hunt out passes.

Imagine drafting two Chinese Canadian kids in one draft. How cool would that be?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,583

Post#1915 » by JRoy » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:57 pm

CazOnReal wrote:

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

And Bargs went...

That was a weird draft. LMA, Gay, others all mentioned as potential #1 overall.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,165

Post#1916 » by billy_hoyle » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:05 am

JRoy wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
And Bargs went...

Who were the others? I'm foggy on the details now, it's coming up on 20 yrs.

I remember Aldridge being the guy near the end of the college season. Gay was the front runner to start (like a Harrison Barnes). Bargs only got mentioned close to the draft because Colangelo telegraphed the pick, right?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,583

Post#1917 » by JRoy » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:16 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
JRoy wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:Only player in that 10 range I have strong negative feelings towards is Robbie. Everyone else i'm either indifferent to or is not Sarr (who is the only player in that range i'm super thrilled about the idea of).

I remember Aldridge being the guy near the end of the college season. Gay was the front runner to start (like a Harrison Barnes). Bargs only got mentioned close to the draft because Colangelo telegraphed the pick, right?

I seem to remember it the same, though don’t remember much hype about Bargnani.

POR fan, had the worst record in team history and the league that year and ended up with the worst outcome (4th pick). Moved that pick and Russian scrubs for Aldridge (taken at 2nd pick), ate Raef Lafrentz but got the 7th pick from BOS, drafted Foye and immediately traded Foye to MIN for Roy.

Me and 6 year old daughter were literally chanting “Roy, Roy, Roy”
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,149

Post#1918 » by Risk101 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=G2CogOLqDPG2B4lKBWGy-w
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,451

Post#1919 » by Morse Code » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:05 pm

Psubs wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:A team that drafts Edey in the lottery better not view him as an ancillary piece, but better be willing to alter their whole offense and even roster (to a degree) to cater to the big man's strengths. It makes taking Edey such a huge commitment and gamble.

Teams that could change their play to incorporate Edey....

Detroit
Charlotte
Washington
Atlanta
Chicago
I think he could be perfect to run a bench unit. Put a bunch of snipers around him and let that 5 man unit dominate for 15-20 mins a night

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM Forums mobile app
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#1920 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:56 pm

JRoy wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
JRoy wrote:

I seem to remember it the same, though don’t remember much hype about Bargnani.

POR fan, had the worst record in team history and the league that year and ended up with the worst outcome (4th pick). Moved that pick and Russian scrubs for Aldridge (taken at 2nd pick), ate Raef Lafrentz but got the 7th pick from BOS, drafted Foye and immediately traded Foye to MIN for Roy.

Me and 6 year old daughter were literally chanting “Roy, Roy, Roy”

Yeah, that was a great GMing for Portland. Getting the #7 for Sebastian f'n Telfair was amazing.

Roy might have gone #1, but for injury concerns. So maybe his career arc was inevitable.

OTOH Portland has the worst reputation for diagnosing and managing injuries (won't mention what happened the next draft). But do you, or the Blazer fanbase, think that Roy's knee could have been better treated, which would have allowed him to have a normal career. And, on second thought, I'll ask the same about Oden.

Return to Toronto Raptors