ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,051

Re: Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#41 » by kalel123 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:21 pm

twiggy2 wrote:I'm going to go on a limb and say most of the anti vince hate is the younger crowd. The Raptors had like two games on national TV prior to vince. Every U.S raptor fan will probably tell you it's because of air Canada.

Define younger. If you were there to witness his success, you would've been there to witness his quit. I take it as a whole and know that he's net zero at best. I think it's more that people who say bull crap like "Carter put us on the map" to have selective memory disease. You take it as a whole and he checks none of the boxes because he unmarked them all himself before he left.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,895

Post#42 » by Jcity08 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:23 pm

twiggy2 wrote:I'm going to go on a limb and say most of the anti vince hate is the younger crowd. The Raptors had like two games on national TV prior to vince. Every U.S raptor fan will probably tell you it's because of air Canada.

Nope, the people who grew up during that era, who were alive during it including myself dont forgive & forget, forgive maybe but not forget. I dont celebrate a Nets player, let Brooklyn retire his jersey.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,647

Post#43 » by Rapsalot » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:46 pm

To date for me only one Raptor deserves Jersey retired or bust in lobby. I will let others debate a statue.
I would start a ring of honor or Mural in the atrium of arena and VC would be on that as a key players of history. VC should be a bigger part of that with the it’s over pose from Dunk contest.

For me Jersey retire has to be a champ, leave of good terms, be a leader player and part of Org.
VC might have been the best player on bad teams and taken clutch shots but not sure he was the team leader.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,420

Post#44 » by TOStateofMind » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:09 pm

He can wait if they eventually decide to, after Kyle.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,600

Post#45 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:37 pm

DemHeavyHands wrote:But then what number would Mo Gay wear??

Ay yo put some respect on his name
bongmarley
Veteran
And1: 1,152

Post#46 » by bongmarley » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:08 pm

Will Vince go into Hall of |Fame as a Raptor? You shouldnt retire a players jersey if he decides to go into hall of fame under another team
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,903

Post#47 » by Tacoma » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:26 pm

kalel123 wrote:

Define younger. If you were there to witness his success, you would've been there to witness his quit. I take it as a whole and know that he's net zero at best. I think it's more that people who say bull crap like "Carter put us on the map" to have selective memory disease. You take it as a whole and he checks none of the boxes because he unmarked them all himself before he left.

Here are some of those people with selective memory disease you're talking about:

Lowry:

Jamal Murray on how Vince impacted him:
[/youtube]

Nick Nurse (go to 23 sec mark of video) on NBA Europe: "As Toronto Raptors coach, I still have people all the time come up to me and say Toronto Raptors and the next thing they say is Vince Carter"

Andrew Wiggins (go to around 9 min mark of video):

Tristan Thompson "without a doubt, Vince jersey should be retired" (1:45 sec mark of video)

I was in NY 5th Ave NBA Store, near MSG - the heart of Knick country, and at the front of the store was Toronto Raptors #15. I was in Europe at the time and when I mention I was from Toronto, they would respond "Vince Carter". He was the face of the NBA and Toronto was front and center.

I'm not going to take a position on whether his Jersey will be retired, but Vince did make Toronto more recognizable around the world. At least during Vinsanity, he kind of did put Toronto on the map.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,051

Post#48 » by kalel123 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:27 pm

Tacoma wrote:
kalel123 wrote:

Here are some of those people with selective memory disease you're talking about:

Lowry:

[/youtube]

Nick Nurse (go to 23 sec mark of video) on NBA Europe: "As Toronto Raptors coach, I still have people all the time come up to me and say Toronto Raptors and the next thing they say is Vince Carter"

Tristan Thompson "without a doubt, Vince jersey should be retired" (1:45 sec mark of video)

I was in NY 5th Ave NBA Store, near MSG - the heart of Knick country, and at the front of the store was Toronto Raptors #15. I was in Europe at the time and when I mention I was from Toronto, they would respond "Vince Carter". He was the face of the NBA and Toronto was front and center.

I'm not going to take a position on whether his Jersey will be retired, but Vince did make Toronto more recognizable around the world. At least during Vinsanity, he kind of did put Toronto on the map.

That's a whole lot of nothing that doesn't address the point of what I said. You are the exact problem I pointed out because you select what you want to hear/remember and only focus on that and end up missing everything.
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,140

Post#49 » by LarSiN » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:41 pm

Pass
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,812

Post#50 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:42 pm

vulture wrote:Some of you guys don’t even remember how good Vince was. He really saved the franchise when he was the most popular player in the league.

The franchise was never in trouble. Attendance records before and after Vince prove this. Teams don't get more of a share of league revenues for having a popular player.

The only thing I will give Vince credit for is encouraging Canadians to play basketball and for that he could have a spot in the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame. However, getting Canadians to play basketball helped the Raptors how?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#51 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:54 pm

Tacoma wrote:
kalel123 wrote:

Lowry:

[/youtube]

All of this is so effing what?

Any benefit our team and fanbase got, and I would argue it was minuscule, that Europeans knew the name of our team and Vince's jersey could be found in stores in NY, was wiped out when he tanked his trade value.

So is Jamal Murray asking his agent to get him to Toronto because of Vince Carter? No.

Wiggins? No Thompson? No. Nurse got himself fired, so his love of Vince didn't make him pay more attention to development so he could stay here in the glorious land of Vince Carter.

I would argue that the anti-Vince sentiment exists in those who lived through the tanking of his trade value, and those who are younger who just don't look a highlight reels.

The map argument us stupid. That players could find us on the map did not bring one of them here.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#52 » by Ado05 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:58 pm

The Raptors retiring Vince's number would be pathetic as hell.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#53 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:03 am

grimlock wrote:
vulture wrote:Some of you guys don’t even remember how good Vince was. He really saved the franchise when he was the most popular player in the league.

Some people here seem to point to Vince giving up on the team as a reason to not retire his Jersey. I don't think any sane person in their prime would EVER stay with the Raptors considering how poorly they were run post WIlkens era. It was an asylum.

Vince was the single greatest player to grace this franchise, and created a generation of basketball players that are now about to compete for an Olympic medal.

Sure the divorce was nasty, but it was justified.

He deserves to be up there.. but I agree.. lowry first

Then you play to the best if your ability until a trade is made. Name one other star player who tanked his value so much teams and fans thought he was washed. Name one.

OG and Pascal were probably told by their agents they was a strong chance they would be traded. Did they tank their trade value as to not water down the team getting them? No, because they have integrity.

The Raptors do not benefit from a strong Canadian team. Put Vince in the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame for all I care, but the team dishonours me as a fan if they raise his jersey to the rafters.
Maxpainmedia:
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,178

Post#54 » by The Duke » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:03 am

Vince should 100% be in the HOF for his impact on the game. Yes, he was widely regarded as the best dunker ever for a long period of time and excelled during the explosion of the NBA.

Whether the Raptors retire his jersey is a separate conversation. Lowry should have no bearing on the situation either
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#55 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:07 am

The Duke wrote:Vince should 100% be in the HOF for his impact on the game. Yes, he was widely regarded as the best dunker ever for a long period of time and excelled during the explosion of the NBA.

Whether the Raptors retire his jersey is a separate conversation. Lowry should have no bearing on the situation either

It's not an insult to me if he goes in the Hall of Fame.

The team would be insulting a significant percentage of the fanbase if they retire his Jersey.
Maxpainmedia:
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,511

Post#56 » by grimlock » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:45 am

DonDoolie wrote:
grimlock wrote:

Some people here seem to point to Vince giving up on the team as a reason to not retire his Jersey. I don't think any sane person in their prime would EVER stay with the Raptors considering how poorly they were run post WIlkens era. It was an asylum.

Vince was the single greatest player to grace this franchise, and created a generation of basketball players that are now about to compete for an Olympic medal.

Sure the divorce was nasty, but it was justified.

He deserves to be up there.. but I agree.. lowry first

It;s not the fact that he left the team, he literally quit on the team and stopped trying on the court. How do you go from 16ppg in 30 mins to 28ppg as soon as you get traded. **** that guy.

Wouldn't you quit on your team if they fired everyone, brought in rob babcock and drafted Rafael Araújo, then brought in some wack ass coach named Kevin Oniel. The organization blew it up and brought in a clown show. I don't blame him.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#57 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:24 am

raptorforlife88 wrote:No. It doesn't make any sense to retire him before Lowry.

Lowry is going to be first, he's going to retire soon, and he'll sign a one day as a Raptor to do it.

Everyone knows he's the greatest Raptor of all time and there's no controversy like with VC. He deserves to be first and not VC.

Being the first person on a team to have the jersey retired is a big honor and only one of those two guys deserves that.

I'm not opposed to VC having his jersey retired one day, but he should not and will not be first.
I am probably going to get flack or hate but I don't care. Vince Carter at his Raptors run was simply amazing he was everything you wanted from a franchise player. If he was in this era shooting volume 3's your talking about a 30+ ppg scorer. VC was a top 5 player in the league. Lowry was very good but he's in that 20-30+ range of best players in the league. VC put Canada basketball on the map he was must see TV. This whole VC deserted the Raptors needs to go. Look at the teams that Vince Carter had and what he was given, Toronto probably had one of the worst front offices of all time. He kept asking for help and wasn't given any of it
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,285

Post#58 » by Chandan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 am

Vince is still the biggest star that wore the Raptors jersey.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,178

Post#59 » by The Duke » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:44 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
The Duke wrote:Vince should 100% be in the HOF for his impact on the game. Yes, he was widely regarded as the best dunker ever for a long period of time and excelled during the explosion of the NBA.

It's not an insult to me if he goes in the Hall of Fame.

The team would be insulting a significant percentage of the fanbase if they retire his Jersey.

The NBA and HOF voters don’t care one bit if he dogged it in Toronto for 1-2 seasons and paved the way for a crap return trade package for TOR, just like they don’t care if VC got any help after Tmac left (or whatever). Zero bearing to them. They could care less if Toronto retires the jersey too.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,918

Post#60 » by Kingsway_fan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:21 am

srhcan wrote:Vince Carter is going to hall of fame. He is the one who put Raptors on the map. Raptors should announce retiring his jersey soon. It is the right thing to do.

Agreed long overdue..... when anyone from any nba city thinks of Raptors... he is who they associate with the franchise ... superstar - Half Man, Half Amazing.

at the top of the superstar list.

First ballot HOF er.

Return to Toronto Raptors