ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NBA General Discussion 2023-24 V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,271

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2023-24 V2.0 

Post#1121 » by mrdressup » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm

Always a good day when LA loses and Lebron is staring at a sweep.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,636

Post#1122 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 pm

It's going to be fun to read about the great Reeves+DLo+Vincent super package that will be rumoured for every star player this offseason.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,173

Post#1123 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:07 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:It's going to be fun to read about the great Reeves+DLo+Vincent super package that will be rumoured for every star player this offseason.

Lol. Judging by LeBron's body language, he is ready to trade anyone and everyone not named AD.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,720

Post#1124 » by Pointgod » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:10 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:It's going to be fun to read about the great Reeves+DLo+Vincent super package that will be rumoured for every star player this offseason.

Lol. Judging by LeBron's body language, he is ready to trade anyone and everyone not named AD.

Lebron would trade AD, Bronny and Savannah if it got him a chip.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,707

Post#1125 » by Clay Davis » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:31 pm

Merit wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Merit wrote:
They have the role player pieces who play huge and have the clutch gene. Josh Hart, OG, Donte. They’re hardcore. The pistons comparison is apt. They’re arguably better with Randle missing since they don’t have a poor defender who can be attacked, Brunson’s size differential aside. Thibs knows what he’s doing and he finally has decent personnel. OG is huge for them.

The Pistons comparison is what fans invoke to try and convince themselves their team can win without a top 10 player. We did the same many years ago when we had DD/Kyle leading us. They are the exception to the rule and of course it will eventually happen again but it won't be a team whose best player is a tiny guard. Not only did the rest of the last 30 title winners have a top 10 player at that time, almost all of them had a player (or 2-3) that are arguably among the top 100 players of all time.

We should also note that those Pistons did have 2 guys who ended up in the Hall of Fame (and I will insist Rasheed was better than both of them and would have been a HoFer if not for being a hothead, and pothead). These Knicks do not have anyone that will be in the Hall of Fame.

Having said all that, I don't dispute the rest of your post. Hart and Donte are absolute dogs, and I don't mind their swagger because they get after it at both ends. OG is OG, the only reason I think his contract will be brutal is because of how injury prone he is. And I also agree that they are better off without Randle. We've seen how embarrassingly bad he can be in the playoffs and right now he would be trying to do too much while Brunson is struggling.

Yeah I was thinking earlier pistons - bad boy pistons with Isaiah (Kyle/Brunson sized) Now of course they don’t have Dumars and Laimbeer etc. but they are defensive minded, have balanced scoring, two solid bigs and decent wing depth. Their ability to guard is what makes me believe in them. OG was a huge addition to their team.

The bad boy pistons were before my era of ball so maybe some of the posters with deeper knowledge can elaborate better than I can.

Agreed that Rasheed is deserving of being in the hall, but I’m not sure Ben Wallace would see much of the floor in this era. He’s like Bam without a shot. I think the storyline is what appeals to me the most, especially since the Knicks are the underdog. Also want to take a minute and shout you out for coming with facts and analysis. These types of conversations add value to the board. Cheers.

Thank you brother. You are a man of great rizz and honour. God bless you.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#1126 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 pm

Wise80 wrote:
GP2 wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
Greatest free throw shooter of all time so exciting to watch. Really makes great use of that 7 foot height and athleticism on those free throws.

Oh, the free throw stuff is annoying, but mostly okay. I didn't really mind Houston Harden either. It's boring for sure, but that's a rules/officiating issue. Where Embiid gets me is him "clumsily" hurting people many times during his career. It's like he still doesn't know his own force and the space his body occupies.

I youtubed it. Are we talking about the Robinson flagrant?

What a piece of ****. He's such a baby. Is Robinson out now, or is he fine?

Read on Twitter

Hah, Precious looked pretty good against Embiid in the 2022 playoffs. Wonder if he gets a chance in Game 4?
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,844

Post#1127 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Wise80 wrote:
GP2 wrote:
Oh, the free throw stuff is annoying, but mostly okay. I didn't really mind Houston Harden either. It's boring for sure, but that's a rules/officiating issue. Where Embiid gets me is him "clumsily" hurting people many times during his career. It's like he still doesn't know his own force and the space his body occupies.

Read on Twitter

Hah, Precious looked pretty good against Embiid in the 2022 playoffs. Wonder if he gets a chance in Game 4?

He had 10 minutes chance last night when Robinson couldn't return. Made a few good plays. Nice dunk off a Brunson pocket pass. A stop on Embiid. He's too small for Embiid long term, but I like how, when Embiid screens for Maxey, both OG and Precious are capably switchable in that scenario. Whereas Hartenstein switching out on Maxey is not good. Precious will definitely get his chance if Robinson can't go .

Edit - and a block shot on Maxey on a drive
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#1128 » by manjusaka » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:38 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:

Brian Windhorst: ‘It’s likely that D’Angelo Russell’s going to opt out of his contract.’ 3 hours ago – via Apple Podcasts

Link
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,310

Post#1129 » by XTC » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm

Nick Nurse fall from grace has been appalling.

It really does seem like the 2019 and 2020 teams where just that good and fit his play style to a tee. He hasn't looked that great in Philly, he still has the same coaching weaknesses.

It's so weird to see. He was great at making adjustments in 2019 and 2020, but it's becoming a major flaws with him now.
onions17
Starter
And1: 638

Post#1130 » by onions17 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:37 pm

XTC wrote:Nick Nurse fall from grace has been appalling.

It really does seem like the 2019 and 2020 teams where just that good and fit his play style to a tee. He hasn't looked that great in Philly, he still has the same coaching weaknesses.

It's so weird to see. He was great at making adjustments in 2019 and 2020, but it's becoming a major flaws with him now.

Just checked the stats to see that Kyle Lowry is averaging 35 min/game this series :lol:
Q00 wrote:When scoring over 100 pts and giving up under 100 pts, they are 11-0

Clearly defense is the difference between winning and losing for this team.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,814

Post#1131 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Wise80 wrote:
GP2 wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
Greatest free throw shooter of all time so exciting to watch. Really makes great use of that 7 foot height and athleticism on those free throws.

NBA lets Embiid do whatever he wants and score 50 percent of his points off free throws and the guy still hasn’t done nothing in the playoffs. He’s a joke. Should have been a flagrant 2 ejection or something but they couldn’t let the Sixers go down 3-0
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Wise80
Senior
And1: 555

Post#1132 » by Wise80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:31 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Wise80 wrote:
GP2 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Jesus. Should of been given a flagrant 2. It was not a basketball play at all.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,707

Post#1133 » by Clay Davis » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm

Wise80 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Wise80 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Jesus. Should of been given a flagrant 2. It was not a basketball play at all.

It looked almost like a shotgun ankle lock (a high rizz and potentially lethal variation of an ankle lock), made famous by Japanese professional wrestler/no-gi grappler/mixed martial artist Shinya Aoki.

Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,865

Post#1134 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 am

Pascal making superstar plays. Gets doubled at the top of the key and kicks out for the three - book it.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#1135 » by Thaddy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:30 am

I can see a better version of that play with Barnes and Dick.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,606

Post#1136 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 am

I think Nurse was caught off guard last season. He forced his way out thinking he’d line up a better gig. Houston, Suns, Bucks said no. He then took the 76ers job even though it was far from ideal. They were going nowhere even with Embiid as MVP. Then Harden and Morey have a falling out which ruined the season before it started. Then they trade Harden for crumbs to avoid any more distractions.

They’ll be aggressive this summer but I can’t think of any available player they can get who’ll reverse their fortunes. Embiid is also too unreliable due to his health issues. I think Nurse will eventually get fired but he should land on his feet again due to his title.

I also still think he’s a top 5 coach in the NBA but joining the 76ers was not a smart move IMO.
SirKen
Rookie
And1: 1,129

Post#1137 » by SirKen » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 am

Disclaimer: Pure speculation incoming based on my observations on and off the court!

I suspect he changed after the championship. The bench mob leading up to it was supposed to be his product and that bench took more of a "share the ball" approach. However, after the championship, his offense looked to be relying more on individual skill. I wonder having a prime Kawhi on the roster influenced and changed his beliefs. Or maybe it all went to his head, I don't know. All I can say is that his ego is a lot more inflated than it used to be, whether rightfully or not.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,844

Post#1138 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 am

SirKen wrote:

Disclaimer: Pure speculation incoming based on my observations on and off the court!

I suspect he changed after the championship. The bench mob leading up to it was supposed to be his product and that bench took more of a "share the ball" approach. However, after the championship, his offense looked to be relying more on individual skill. I wonder having a prime Kawhi on the roster influenced and changed his beliefs. Or maybe it all went to his head, I don't know. All I can say is that his ego is a lot more inflated than it used to be, whether rightfully or not.

As a side point, I think a lot of us got tired of his constant complaining to refs, even though he was still our guy. Now he seems to have taken it to a new level, trying to manipulate the refs after the two losses by complaining in the media, still whining nonstop on the sideline, all the while getting his team to play borderline dirty. His bench persona is annoying, unbecoming a great coach. I know I'm biased towards the Knicks but he really has become unlikable.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,879

Post#1139 » by Los_29 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 am

Was looking great at the beginning of the year when Embiid was healthy.

Ultimately you need good players to win. He might even still win this series despite his best player playing at 60-70%.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,879

Post#1140 » by Los_29 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 am

It’s pretty surprising how little fight the Suns have put up. I remember last year people (myself included) bashed the Gobert trade and some people were even thinking Kessler was as good or can be as good as Gobert. Shows you how much things can change. If Minnesota can have 3-4 highly competitive seasons with this roster then they made out extremely well.

Return to Toronto Raptors