ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,674

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#621 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun May 12, 2024 11:14 pm

basketballto wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
causal_fan wrote:
Perhaps - What if the Raptors pick at 19 turns out better than the Spurs pick at 8 and/or the Raptors eventually trade Poeltl for a player/pick better than whom the Spurs pick at 8 this year?

Doesn’t matter. It’s like making the wrong move in poker but still winning. The trade for Poeltl was awful. We completely overpaid and got worse.

Results don't matter to you? What matters is how a trade looks on a certain day? The Spurs already wasted a second round pick on nobody. The latest Mock draft has
Dalton Knecht SG going in the 8th spot. I'd rather have an average tall center in their prime then a slow no defense scorer.

This is a great day. We got a tall average nba center for an overpaid rookie and saved our pick. If we won the lottery we would have needed to pay a huge rookie contract for a guy who normally would be paid much less in a normal draft year.

Let the Spurs keep Dalton Knecht. I want a shot next year.

We have a ton of cap room. If we didn’t like anyone we could’ve traded the pick. We overpaid for an average C, got worse, and miss out on an asset.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,079

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#622 » by Duffman100 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:19 pm

So in conversations around Ochai. We can't use the "29th pick could be a star" as an argument because we should judge in the expected value.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,242

Post#623 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 12, 2024 11:25 pm

It was a hilarious tweet then and it’s even funnier now lol. Absolute classic.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,242

Post#624 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 12, 2024 11:26 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:I hated the trade with a passion, but I am over it. I don't mind his play, and I don't mind his contract.

One thing I do hope though, is that he shows up ready to go this season, already in shape. He's a high character guy so it was a little disappointing that he showed up out of shape after inking an 80M contract. Did not expect that from him.

He looked good prior to going down with injury, was probably playing his best ball of the season.

I was in the camp that wanted to keep the pick because we need talent badly. But I do see the positive in conveying. No more of this "pick watching" nonsense. Now we can finally move forward with a clean slate.

Yep. We’ll still feel the impact of that trade deadline for the next several years imo but atleast we ripped off the bandaid. The rebuild starts now.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#625 » by CazOnReal » Sun May 12, 2024 11:27 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:I would definitely trade poeltl for the 8th pick

Just curious, in your opinion, what number is he worth in this draft? Would you trade Poeltl for 10? 13? 20?

14-30

Then you need to up your standards, I wouldn't move him for the Grizzlies 9th straight up.

Either a 2025 1st or some young player who can be added to the roster needs to come with that pick.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,301

Post#626 » by mrdressup » Sun May 12, 2024 11:28 pm

With he 8th pick the SA Spurs pick...the greatest player to have ever played the game. It would not even surprise me. Fate is a cruel biotch.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#627 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun May 12, 2024 11:39 pm

Just did my first Fanspo mock draft since the lottery. I'm not sure that it's a very good prediction (Sarr lasted until the 4th pick for the Spurs), but I ended up taking Tristan da Silva with the 19th pick and Bub Carrington with the 31st.

I'd be very happy with an outcome like that.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,281

Post#628 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun May 12, 2024 11:42 pm

Chandan wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:
well yeah because that's what everyone thinks, except for a few delusional individuals.

lol why so triggered...could it be because a play in team today won the lottery

Good thing Atlanta didn't trade away their first round pick without protection. :lol:

embarrassing day for the pro-tankers today...at least the smart ones were in hiding
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#629 » by Harry Palmer » Sun May 12, 2024 11:49 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:lol why so triggered...could it be because a play in team today won the lottery

Good thing Atlanta didn't trade away their first round pick without protection. :lol:

embarrassing day for the pro-tankers today...at least the smart ones were in hiding

You’re working pretty hard to spin this, but fwiw any ‘tanker’ with half a brain would have been seriously opposed to the trade and its anti-tanking principles. After that it was a debate about whether to lose it now or later, and as far as I could see it was fairly mixed. Loling about tanking after a short-sighted win-now trade results in a disaster is like those people saying the solution to school shootings is teachers with guns.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,689

Post#630 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:51 pm

Worst about the lottery was the Rockets of all teams jumped us. They've picked top 4 4 years in a row
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,315

Post#631 » by Tripod » Sun May 12, 2024 11:54 pm

You would swear we traded the pick for someone no longer on the roster.

Yes 8 is higher than they expected, but we still have a starting C for the next 3 years from that pick. People need to relax.

And again I will say it, we won't tank next year. We are going to play to win games while also developing youth. Christ, we still have BBQ Dick, Ochai, #19, #31 to keep developing. No shortage of youth on the roster.

On to the draft and seeing what happens with Brown, GTJ, Boucher....and who we add that is new.
RealFaction
Ballboy
And1: 78

Post#632 » by RealFaction » Sun May 12, 2024 11:57 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:Worst about the lottery was the Rockets of all teams jumped us. They've picked top 4 4 years in a row

You can thank the Nets for gifting the Rockets all of these unprotected picks because of the Harden trade.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,285

Post#633 » by Chandan » Sun May 12, 2024 11:59 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:lol why so triggered...could it be because a play in team today won the lottery

What would you know about being smart?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,748

Post#634 » by DG88 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

Read on Twitter
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#635 » by Pointgod » Mon May 13, 2024 12:07 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Absolute insanity to not lottery protect the pick. Gregg Popovich running a masterclass in rebuilding with what he got for Poeltl, Derozan, Dejounte and even Thad Young lol

Malaki Branham? He sort of sucks

Spurs got a first round pick for a second round pick and unloaded a guy that was completely useless. They won plain and simple. Great trade for them regardless who they end up picking because they gave nothing of value.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,625

Post#636 » by Scase » Mon May 13, 2024 12:09 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:

You’re working pretty hard to spin this, but fwiw any ‘tanker’ with half a brain would have been seriously opposed to the trade and its anti-tanking principles. After that it was a debate about whether to lose it now or later, and as far as I could see it was fairly mixed. Loling about tanking after a short-sighted win-now trade results in a disaster is like those people saying the solution to school shootings is teachers with guns.

"I bet all you guys against the trade in the first place sure have egg on your face now"

Props TZ!
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,000

Post#637 » by Los_29 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:10 am

Pointgod wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Absolute insanity to not lottery protect the pick. Gregg Popovich running a masterclass in rebuilding with what he got for Poeltl, Derozan, Dejounte and even Thad Young lol

Spurs got a first round pick for a second round pick and unloaded a guy that was completely useless. They won plain and simple. Great trade for them regardless who they end up picking because they gave nothing of value.

Both teams had reasons to make that trade. Unfortunately it didn’t work out at all for the Spurs as I don’t see much of a career for Branham.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,079

Post#638 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:19 am

Pointgod wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

And the raptors freed up cap room and drafted a decent center prospect. It didn't work out for them and it didn't work out for the Spurs either. I don't think you can include that in the "masterclass".
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,625

Post#639 » by Scase » Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 am

No matter which side of the isle you are on with this whole debacle, this is pretty funny lol

Props TZ!
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,575

Post#640 » by BlackThought » Mon May 13, 2024 12:30 am

Just glad that this is over. Been dreading the pick conveying the entire year and now that it's done we can move forward. Was the trade a bad trade? Yes, theres no defending it. But in terms of mistakes, it's not the end of the world. While it's better to have the #8 pick, I don't think this mistake will set us back that much.

Return to Toronto Raptors