ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Shopping Brown [Source]

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,965

Re: Raptors Shopping Brown [Source] 

Post#61 » by Jadoogar » Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Probably use him to move up the in draft, which makes sense why they kept him past the deadline.

Lonzo + #11 for Brown + #19 is something I've seen quite a lot of and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Lonzo said he's 70% healthy so maaaaybe we get him to see him suit up next year. Would be a nice bonus if he does ever end up playing.

both are expiring contracts, why would the Bulls do this?
Is bruce brown much of an upgrade on the court? not really. I guess if they believe he's not going to play and think the draft is just that weak that moving down 8 spots doesn't matter.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 567

Post#62 » by islandboy53 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Aside from discrediting the source, would love to hear some realistic trade proposals if people have any?

Small market imo
but if knicks still interested: bogjan + 25' first for Brown
but they r going to see if they can get a star first so prob not

Bojan and #24 or #25 for Brown gives them a bigger matching expiring for trade purposes. It leaves them in approximately the same position total salary wise, and gives them a much more versatile player if no trade materializes. Toronto can then use #31 for a subsequent trade on day 2 of the draft.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,684

Post#63 » by Scase » Fri May 17, 2024 9:22 pm

Pointgod wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
I like this trade proposal and the Pelicans might bite. They can afford to move picks.

Take out #31 and they have to give us the better of those '25 picks.

CJ, while still productive, is owed 64M over 2 years. That's a pretty big favour we are doing them. In fact, as I typed that out I just decided a '25 first is not enough to take that contract on lol. They need to give up more, like Dyson.

Our backcourt would also be very small.

Come on man be reasonable. CJ just put up 20,4,4 on .429% 3 point shooting. I had zero idea that his numbers were that good. In comparison RJ put up 22,6,4 as a Raptor on 55% FG percentage. CJ only has two years left and the fact that you believe that getting a pick for a productive player that’s an expiring contract the following season.

We don’t do the trade for CJ, you do it for the pick. I agree with you that our backcourt will be small but this isn’t a trade you do to win. If we’re trying to make moves to win, we’d be the ones giving up picks.

IMO I'd rather take back someone who is detrimental to the team, rather than helpful since I want us to be bad :lol:

We aren't looking to trade for genuinely productive players I think, but rather take on dead contracts for picks. I don't see any value in taking CJ for a pick, it locks up more salary than we had before, for picks that will likely be late teens/early twenties? That's not worth taking on a short term badish contract. We should be looking for genuinely bad contracts to maximize the returns, not mediocre returns for players that can technically contribute.
Props TZ!
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,628

Post#64 » by Tor_Raps » Fri May 17, 2024 9:34 pm

Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:I think the best option is to just waive his contract rather than take on salary for future years just for a 2024/2025 pick which will likely be late anyway.

If they want to make a trade keep his contract and do a deal in July. Use the $20m of his deal and others to get Brandon Ingram or another star player on the move. Toronto could even just be a trade partner and get expirings and picks back.

My vote is the latter, give us a junk contract and some assets and I'll be happy. I'm not keen on picking up BI or anyone of his ilk, it's too treadmill-y for me. We need top shelf talent, and a player in his tier isn't it. Would be fun to see him with someone like Scottie with his bbIQ and passing skills, but BI just can't stay healthy.

There's a reason that the Pels are looking to move him, and not Cheeseburger "Half a season at best" Jones.

They're looking to move on him simply because they're so stacked with talent and can't afford everyone. It's a position the Knicks were in with Quickley and RJ, which is why we got them for OG.

OKC will also be in that position very soon. If we stop trading away 1st Rounders, I hope we can get there one day too lol.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,742

Post#65 » by C_Money » Fri May 17, 2024 9:37 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
dagger wrote:I think Brown is almost untrade-able because of the size of his contract and the cap/tax/apron restrictions other teams likely to value him have to work under. I don't discount the possibility he ends up playing the entire season in Toronto.

A deadline deal to fill in for an injury or something seems more likely.

Yeah despite what Doug says, I still think Bruce is here until the deadline. It also lines up with what Masai normally does in these situations.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,331

Post#66 » by MiamiSPX » Fri May 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:I think the best option is to just waive his contract rather than take on salary for future years just for a 2024/2025 pick which will likely be late anyway.

If they want to make a trade keep his contract and do a deal in July. Use the $20m of his deal and others to get Brandon Ingram or another star player on the move. Toronto could even just be a trade partner and get expirings and picks back.

My vote is the latter, give us a junk contract and some assets and I'll be happy. I'm not keen on picking up BI or anyone of his ilk, it's too treadmill-y for me. We need top shelf talent, and a player in his tier isn't it. Would be fun to see him with someone like Scottie with his bbIQ and passing skills, but BI just can't stay healthy.

There's a reason that the Pels are looking to move him, and not Cheeseburger "Half a season at best" Jones.

They're looking to move on him simply because they're so stacked with talent and can't afford everyone. It's a position the Knicks were in with Quickley and RJ, which is why we got them for OG.

OKC will also be in that position very soon. If we stop trading away 1st Rounders, I hope we can get there one day too lol.

Pels have to make moves. They will not pay the tax and they need to make room for TM3 in the starting lineup.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,684

Post#67 » by Scase » Fri May 17, 2024 9:44 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Scase wrote:

I mean it made more sense for the Knicks as they had players better than RJ, but who do the Pels actually have that is a better player than him, Zion?
Props TZ!
WeThe2019Champs
Veteran
And1: 2,640

Post#68 » by WeThe2019Champs » Fri May 17, 2024 9:53 pm

Sadly nothing will happen... most likely hold until next trade deadline and maybe get 2nd round pick for him.
No More Tanking!
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#69 » by Tor_Raps » Fri May 17, 2024 10:00 pm

Scase wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Scase wrote:My vote is the latter, give us a junk contract and some assets and I'll be happy. I'm not keen on picking up BI or anyone of his ilk, it's too treadmill-y for me. We need top shelf talent, and a player in his tier isn't it. Would be fun to see him with someone like Scottie with his bbIQ and passing skills, but BI just can't stay healthy.

I mean it made more sense for the Knicks as they had players better than RJ, but who do the Pels actually have that is a better player than him, Zion?

Of course they think Zion is better whether it's foolish or not... it's not our problem and we should look to take advantage of delusional teams like the Spurs have been taking advantage of us the past few years lol.

Murphy is the reason they'd be trading Ingram because he's up for an extension this offseason. They will probably choose him since he's cheaper and has tons of potential.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,605

Post#70 » by Brinbe » Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 pm

good. they better go through with it though. no one wants another season of seeing bruce fumble passes and giving a quarter-effort on the court.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,012
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#71 » by will » Fri May 17, 2024 10:14 pm

Yeah, I'm also shopping my 2000 Honda Civic.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Post#72 » by brownbobcat » Fri May 17, 2024 10:27 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Probably use him to move up the in draft, which makes sense why they kept him past the deadline.

Lonzo + #11 for Brown + #19 is something I've seen quite a lot of and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Lonzo said he's 70% healthy so maaaaybe we get him to see him suit up next year. Would be a nice bonus if he does ever end up playing.

Is bruce brown much of an upgrade on the court? not really. I guess if they believe he's not going to play and think the draft is just that weak that moving down 8 spots doesn't matter.

What? I'm not a huge fan of Brown, but he's a huge upgrade vs someone who can't even make it on the court.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,535

Post#73 » by S.W.A.N » Fri May 17, 2024 11:02 pm

dagger wrote:I think Brown is almost untrade-able because of the size of his contract and the cap/tax/apron restrictions other teams likely to value him have to work under. I don't discount the possibility he ends up playing the entire season in Toronto.

I think you are way off on this one. The market definitely smaller with teams that near second apron likely being out, but his value around lead isn't going to be dramatically less because of half a season of tanking ball.

I suspect he'll be dealt at draft night to a team like knicks or laker, pelicans. Teams that are win now but also like that he only a 1 year guy and expiring.

Pretty sure the knicks were the team offering up a first at deadline. I see no reason they won't offer a similar deal and now that we don't have our own pick, getting a late first for Brown this year isn't a bad idea
We the North
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,965

Post#74 » by Jadoogar » Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

What? I'm not a huge fan of Brown, but he's a huge upgrade vs someone who can't even make it on the court.

Would you drop from 19 to 27 to swap Koloko for Spencer Dinwiddie? That's what you're advocating for.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,794

Post#75 » by Badonkadonk » Fri May 17, 2024 11:32 pm

"Raptors Shopping Bruce Brown" hasn't been news since he was acquired.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,472

Post#76 » by KrazyP » Fri May 17, 2024 11:57 pm

S.W.A.N wrote:

I think you are way off on this one. The market definitely smaller with teams that near second apron likely being out, but his value around lead isn't going to be dramatically less because of half a season of tanking ball.

I suspect he'll be dealt at draft night to a team like knicks or laker, pelicans. Teams that are win now but also like that he only a 1 year guy and expiring.

Pretty sure the knicks were the team offering up a first at deadline. I see no reason they won't offer a similar deal and now that we don't have our own pick, getting a late first for Brown this year isn't a bad idea

If Brown was making MLE level money or less, playoff teams might be interested. At $23mill, he's a tough sell for his on court production because contending teams generally dont want to be paying that kind of coin for average role players....thats the reason why the Nuggets let him go.

People keep mentioning the Knicks but I dont understand what specifically Brown would bring to the table that they arent already getting from the combination of Hart/Divincenzo/McBride. They'd be better served using their assets to get a forward or star level player. I guess they have had interest in him in the past so perhaps a Brown for Bogdanovic + 2nd rounder could make some sense.....i dont see them giving up a 1st.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#77 » by Tor_Raps » Sat May 18, 2024 12:22 am

KrazyP wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:

If Brown was making MLE level money or less, playoff teams might be interested. At $23mill, he's a tough sell for his on court production because contending teams generally dont want to be paying that kind of coin for average role players....thats the reason why the Nuggets let him go.

People keep mentioning the Knicks but I dont understand what specifically Brown would bring to the table that they arent already getting from the combination of Hart/Divincenzo/McBride. They'd be better served using their assets to get a forward or star level player. I guess they have had interest in him in the past so perhaps a Brown for Bogdanovic + 2nd rounder could make some sense.....i dont see them giving up a 1st.

Nuggets let him go because they could only pay him 7M/season. They desperately wanted to keep him but just couldn't.

Proving to be a 6th man for a championship roster will always be in people's heads so contenders will want him no doubt. Just have to match the price Masai is holding out for and we've all seen that story play out many times before.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,685

Post#78 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat May 18, 2024 12:25 am

Masai is going to enter the season seeing if we can win. Once we’re in the basement again and have no leverage he’ll look to trade Brown for pennies on the dollar.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,920

Post#79 » by agkagk » Sat May 18, 2024 12:31 am

MiamiSPX wrote:
agkagk wrote:Brown + boucher + #19 for wiggIns and moody.

GS needs to pay us with draft picks to take that Wiggins contract.

Wiggins isnt on a bad contract

Imagine if og just stuck to his role as an elite 3 and d poa wing and never got injured.

Thats wiggins.

Hes a premier elite 3 and d wing that just entered his prime.

Watch the suitors line up to buy low on him.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,628

Post#80 » by Ackshun » Sat May 18, 2024 12:34 am

WeThe2019Champs wrote:Sadly nothing will happen... most likely hold until next trade deadline and maybe get 2nd round pick for him.

You’re probably right. As long as we don’t give up any draft capital to move him, I’m fine. Can’t believe I need to say that out loud but that says something.This is the type of FO nowadays to swap an expiring for another expiring, while adding draft capital.

I think we will move on from him and will trade for a future 1st with very heavy protections. It doesn’t make sense until way after the draft, and a few weeks into July, after the start of free agency. Teams will definitely kick the tires of filling out their bench is a cost-productive manner. Without giving up assets.

Actually the more I speculate, the more I realize this guy is staying with Toronto for the year.

Return to Toronto Raptors