ImageImageImageImageImage

Larry Tanenbaum launches Kilmer Sports Ventures / Hires Football Exec Ivan Gazidis as President

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Re: Larry Tanenbaum launches Kilmer Sports Ventures / Hires Football Exec Ivan Gazidis as President 

Post#61 » by mdenny » Wed May 15, 2024 2:03 pm

Raptors realgm where praise for raptor champions is locked down because trolls have then over the narrative.

Warned: Trolling.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,995

Re: Larry Tanenbaum launches Kilmer Sports Ventures / Hires Football Exec Ivan Gazidis as President 

Post#62 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 3:35 pm

douggood wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Merit wrote:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I don’t understand why fans care how much execs and coaches make. It has no impact on the cap. I’d rather Masai and Bobby make that money than Ed, that’s for sure.

With that said, the crazy part is not how well paid Masai is. It’s that the Wizards offered more and Masai chose to stay.

its about the relativeness to other executive salaries around the league. remember reading a few, tim connely signed 5 year 40 with twolves, bob meyers was making less than 10 per and wanted more and gsw balked at that. morey got like 12 per.

he signed a 5 year 75 mil deal with bonuses on top of that, that is excessive. and i am not speaking retrospectively. even coming off a championship i would have felt like masai is taking advantage of the situation and balked at that, cause it doesnt count towards cap and mlse can afford it they caved.

You aren’t paying him. We aren’t paying him. The best get paid. It doesn’t affect the on-court salary cap. It’s been said above, but I’ll say it again - Masai could’ve got more and chose us. On top of that, were he to choose to leave, he would have no shortage of suitors.

Why don’t we start complaining about the leafs “complementary” staff or McKechnie’s salary? It’s the same concept. The more resources and better support a team has, the better - especially if it’s only affecting the company’s bottom line and not the product.

The focus on the company’s bottom line over people is why people only care about the jays when they win and why virtually every person who has interacted with Rogers in some capacity finds them to be snakes.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#63 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 3:36 pm

Zeno wrote:Is there any chance that we see a split of Rogers and Bell where Rogers gets Leafs/Marlies and Bell/Larry get Raptors/TFC

Also a dream scenario for me. Larry on the side of growth. Rogers on the side of stagnancy/historical name brand.
I believe in Masai.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,929

Post#64 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 15, 2024 3:39 pm

Merit wrote:
Zeno wrote:Is there any chance that we see a split of Rogers and Bell where Rogers gets Leafs/Marlies and Bell/Larry get Raptors/TFC

Also a dream scenario for me. Larry on the side of growth. Rogers on the side of stagnancy/historical name brand.

good insight here. Ed Rogers is a putz. Although I agree paying Shanahan to do nothing is a waste

https://youtu.be/j5df9KL2m1A?t=4027
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#65 » by Corson27 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:47 pm

The Keith Pelley video of him using a hammer for the first time in his life while looking like he's 5 foot 1 next to other regular sized adults does not look promising lol
Merit
Head Coach

Post#66 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Merit wrote:

good insight here. Ed Rogers is a putz. Although I agree paying Shanahan to do nothing is a waste

Took a few minutes to listen. Thanks for sharing. The penny pinching ethos is one I cannot stand. It creates unnecessary turnover and creates opportunities for snakes to “play the system” to get ahead.

Now in the case of Shanny and Dubas, it’s a bit more grey. Dubas allegedly had a number of trades he wanted squashed and wasn’t able to pursue his full vision. Dubas also paid his dues. However, going over Shanny’s head was never going to fly - especially since Shanny hired him and cut Lou for him. Plus, Shanny is the next leafs scapegoat present tense.

Shanny was needed desperately when he was hired. The shanaplan was huge. Ed obviously signed off on it. Now when it’s time to reward him or at least see the plan out during a difficult time it’s bupkis for Shanny. And this is precisely why I will always and forever choose a different option than Rogers.
I believe in Masai.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,813

Post#67 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed May 15, 2024 4:23 pm

Anyone thinking Ed Rogers is some sort of saint within MLSE, needs to see how successful the Blue Jays have been for the past 30 years.

Two - maybe three good seasons at best, and as status quo as you can get. The Rogers family and company is at war with Ed Rogers..... that alone should say enough.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,813

Post#68 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed May 15, 2024 4:25 pm

Merit wrote:

I honestly can't think of a moment where I saw Rogers do something with the Raptors or TFC. It's almost always Bell.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,929

Post#69 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 15, 2024 4:54 pm

Merit wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Merit wrote:

Took a few minutes to listen. Thanks for sharing. The penny pinching ethos is one I cannot stand. It creates unnecessary turnover and creates opportunities for snakes to “play the system” to get ahead.

Now in the case of Shanny and Dubas, it’s a bit more grey. Dubas allegedly had a number of trades he wanted squashed and wasn’t able to pursue his full vision. Dubas also paid his dues. However, going over Shanny’s head was never going to fly - especially since Shanny hired him and cut Lou for him. Plus, Shanny is the next leafs scapegoat present tense.

Shanny was needed desperately when he was hired. The shanaplan was huge. Ed obviously signed off on it. Now when it’s time to reward him or at least see the plan out during a difficult time it’s bupkis for Shanny. And this is precisely why I will always and forever choose a different option than Rogers.

Masai grew the valuation in his run by a lot and he’s made the owners a lot of money both by the business and winning with real results. Im excited to see where this rebuild goes. Shanny grew the business but the results havent been there. I can understand why they question him and want him out. Shanny isn’t masai. He’s not the defacto GM even though he tries to be.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,929

Post#70 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Wed May 15, 2024 5:34 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:This pretty much confirms Larry is out in 2026, no? Man, it's going to suck.

He hasn't done much to be honest other than that championship in 2019.. ATM it's not looking great so him going isn't that big of a deal when you look at it closely.

The Raptors value went through the roof after the 7 years pre championship and then championship, which you can't actually just hand wave away. We've had 2 sub .500 seasons in over a decade.

There's gonna be a lot more sub .500 seasons on the way my friend.. Don't forget the Bosh and then Bargnani eras.. They also blew the VC and Tmac duo which should have been a force.. Remember this guy hired Rob Babcock as a GM as well... We can do better.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 9:30 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
Merit wrote:

I honestly can't think of a moment where I saw Rogers do something with the Raptors or TFC. It's almost always Bell.

Yeah, agreed. And Rogers purchased the leafs media rights for sportsnet as well. I remember the huge announcement and how much the initial offerings flopped.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 9:32 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
He hasn't done much to be honest other than that championship in 2019.. ATM it's not looking great so him going isn't that big of a deal when you look at it closely.

The Raptors value went through the roof after the 7 years pre championship and then championship, which you can't actually just hand wave away. We've had 2 sub .500 seasons in over a decade.

There's gonna be a lot more sub .500 seasons on the way my friend.. Don't forget the Bosh and then Bargnani eras.. They also blew the VC and Tmac duo which should have been a force.. Remember this guy hired Rob Babcock as a GM as well... We can do better.

It’s funny how you’re looking back at the past and cherry picking the worst moments, while ignoring the growth trajectory that culminated in a chip. Obviously they learned from hiring Babcock. They hired BC right after and then improved further by hiring Masai.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 9:35 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Merit wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Masai grew the valuation in his run by a lot and he’s made the owners a lot of money both by the business and winning with real results. Im excited to see where this rebuild goes. Shanny grew the business but the results havent been there. I can understand why they question him and want him out. Shanny isn’t masai. He’s not the defacto GM even though he tries to be.

The Raptors are one of the classiest organizations in sports, imo. I have yet to see another major sports franchise do what the Raptors do for unity, diversity and community building. While the prices have certainly gone up - the fan experience is consistently amazing. They’re always looking for ways to innovate and grow. That’s all you ca. really ask for from an established brand.

As for Shanny, as a leafs fan I hope the results change. You can see my biases in the post above and I do think Shanny needs to make some changes and this offseason in particular is pivotal. He’s definitely on the hottest of hot seats.
I believe in Masai.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,929

Post#74 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Fri May 17, 2024 3:07 am

Merit wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

It’s funny how you’re looking back at the past and cherry picking the worst moments, while ignoring the growth trajectory that culminated in a chip. Obviously they learned from hiring Babcock. They hired BC right after and then improved further by hiring Masai.

What am I cherry picking? His era is mostly bad % wise. Now it's back to normal in us being bad AGAIN.. there's a lot of cherries to pick. A whole damn cherry tree with a small amount of winning. Babcock to BC to Masai and somehow Masai just fell off a cliff after the chip. The last 2 San Antonio trades are going back to the Babcock BC type moves we were making

Return to Toronto Raptors