ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,004

Re: Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#61 » by wegotthabeet » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:22 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Lowry, Kawhi, Demar, Siakam, and Fred all accomplished more as Raptors. Vince is kind of irrelevant to the franchise at this point.

Fred!?!

Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Fred accomplished being in the right place at the right time.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,814

Post#62 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:01 am

wegotthabeet wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Lowry, Kawhi, Demar, Siakam, and Fred all accomplished more as Raptors. Vince is kind of irrelevant to the franchise at this point.

Fred!?!

Fred never tanked his trade value. I was glad to see him go, but if I was made to choose who to honour, would I choose the guy who worked his butt off to improve every year, or would I pick the guy who coasted on talent and was criticized by his veteran teammates for not working on his game?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,004

Post#63 » by wegotthabeet » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:08 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

Fred!?!

Fred never tanked his trade value. I was glad to see him go, but if I was made to choose who to honour, would I choose the guy who worked his butt off to improve every year, or would I pick the guy who coasted on talent and was criticized by his veteran teammates for not working on his game?

You’re an old head who’s been around since day 1 of this franchise so I get the resentment towards Vince/T-Mac. Different era. They messed up something that could have been special. Life goes on.

That being said Fred is less than completely irrelevant. He’s just as selfish by the way. Dude was all about himself from the day he got here til the day he left. Only difference is he was no where near as good at basketball.
WetLikeWater
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#64 » by WetLikeWater » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:52 am

Without VC I dont think the raptors would of been the same team we know now! All the VC haters could suck it! #Retire15 :nod:
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#65 » by PerfectJab » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:03 am

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:I'm not of the belief that Vince's number is getting retired, and I don't really think it needs to be retired either. If the Raptors were going to retire it, it would have been done already. Why wait?

I don't think anyone has worn #10 after DeRozan though, and I'm confident Lowry's #7 will be retired

Magic just retired Shaq’s jersey on their 35th anniversary. There is a good chance we may do the same for Vince next season for our 25th. Lowry may still try to play for another year or two.

Makes sense. He quit on the team, time can erase even a player quitting on his team and ADMITTING to it. Loyalty doesn't matter.

Let's retire his jersey so that we can permanently tell the world that as long as you played well at one point (even though it was at a offensive almost superstar level for 2 seasons minus the defense) you can still get your jersey retired forever.

I'd be all for it if he was an all time great, but he's not. People comparing SHAQ to VC is a joke. SHAQ is an all time great you don't compare an all time great and what was done around the league as a result of him being that to a player that didn't even make the all nba 1st team once in his career. NOT ONCE. Loyalty and what they represent counts, especially when we are talking ALL TIME.
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#66 » by PerfectJab » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:05 am

WetLikeWater wrote:Without VC I dont think the raptors would of been the same team we know now! All the VC haters could suck it! #Retire15 :nod:

I agree. He definitely set the the foundation to the raptors winning. That amazing 45 win season and the 1st round that he won set the standard that the Bargnani's and the Bosh's of the world emulated thereafter.

The guy was so good he received the NBA 2nd team 2 times! VC was ALL HEART, LOYALTY the embodiment of what the Raptors are about and should aspire to be. Even though he admitted to not trying in the end it's ok, it's was the managements fault and we should empathize with him. Professional players have feeling too! Retire his jersey.
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#67 » by chargerxthirty » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:20 am

I grew up playing hockey as a kid and basketball was not even really on my radar. I knew about MJ and the other great players but it was mostly cause of NBA JAM TE & Space Jam. Long story short, Vince changed everything for me. To me... there were only a few things better to watch than Vince in his first few Raptors seasons. There's not much out there that was must watch, but boy was he. One of my other must watches was Barry Bonds at the plate. Tried to see that as often as possible.

Anyhow. Rambling here but the guy definitely "put us on the map" /cliche ..... thing is. I still regret the ending terms. Ultimately, I don't think you can retire the guys Jersey but what do I really know. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they did, it's just one of those things that you want to put some respect on it and I think taking the action of not reflexively just giving the jersey ceremony to Vince because it seems like something that would be a good story and lots of people want it is a good action. You don't just get your jersey retired in Toronto, you earn it. It would definitely put some extra respect on the honor. That's for sure.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,346

Post#68 » by Shakril » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:21 am

raptorforlife88 wrote:No. It doesn't make any sense to retire him before Lowry.

Lowry is going to be first, he's going to retire soon, and he'll sign a one day as a Raptor to do it.

Everyone knows he's the greatest Raptor of all time and there's no controversy like with VC. He deserves to be first and not VC.

Being the first person on a team to have the jersey retired is a big honor and only one of those two guys deserves that.

I'm not opposed to VC having his jersey retired one day, but he should not and will not be first.

Only spiteful people that cant forgive act like that.

Vince Carter is the Player that put Toronto on the map, without him, the raptors might no be in Toronto anymore. The exictment he created in Toronto was as important for this Franchise.

In 10 years, most people will still know Vince worldwide, but outside of Toronto most will forget Lowry.

Lowry is still an active player and Vince already retired a few years.

These are just facts.

My Personal opinion:

Get over it and retire his jersey. It doesnt matter who comes first.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,346

Post#69 » by Shakril » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

Fred!?!

What has Fred actually done for the raptors. Yes he was a good piece in a championship team, but he never was the leader and definitly not a starplayer. VC, Lowry, DeRozean, Bosh all were top Players at their peak, something Fred could only dream of.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,256

Post#70 » by SurgeIblocka » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:35 am

Who’s jersey deserves to be retired : Kawhi
Who’s jersey will be retired by Raps: Vince
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,627

Post#71 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:47 am

Star players aren’t perfect & they’re human and make mistakes just like any of us. I obviously don’t agree with how he chose to handle it but really what do you expect from your star young player when the franchise not only tuned out his voice but decided to rebuild while he was essentially supposed to be entering his prime (ironically I think his prime was as a Raptor, peaked early) but they asked him to accept a rebuild right in the middle of it.

Vince was 27 years old…that’s several years older than Tatum & Luka, imagine telling them 2-3 years from their age now that their teams wanna rebuild or telling Scottie in 5 years right now to just accept a rebuild. That’s what the franchise did and they brought in a god awful GM at that passing on the Granger, Iggys for the Grahams and Arujos of the league lol. We went from a roster of OGs (Davis, Oakley etc to frickin Mo Pete and an older Jalen Rose nevermind the coaching lol smh. They flushed the team down the toilet and Vince got sick of it and being tuned out and then wanted out. Again it was childish they way he went about it, he could’ve shown more honour but he was really upset with the decision to step back from winning, couldn’t see eye to eye and forced his way out. The whole ordeal was stupid but nonetheless no one truly gave a sh*t about the Raptors until Vince MADE this franchise relevant (period) - he put Toronto on the map. Before then we were basically a farm league team with the FVV before FVV aka Damon Stoudamire and you wonder why no one cared about the Raptors til
VC showed up lol

Without Vince the Raptors were barely a notch above the Argos for popularity. He made the franchise official and you can’t tell the story of the franchise without him, anytime anyone talks about the Raptors in a historical sense Vince really marks the starting point of when we became a real franchise, put his damn banner up & stop ironically pouting like babies about it! You simply can’t tell the story of our franchise without him so accept & embrace it, it’s all a part of the journey and that’s the point of enshrining some of the best parts of it’s history.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#72 » by PerfectJab » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:54 am

Shakril wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:No. It doesn't make any sense to retire him before Lowry.

Lowry is going to be first, he's going to retire soon, and he'll sign a one day as a Raptor to do it.

Everyone knows he's the greatest Raptor of all time and there's no controversy like with VC. He deserves to be first and not VC.

Being the first person on a team to have the jersey retired is a big honor and only one of those two guys deserves that.

I'm not opposed to VC having his jersey retired one day, but he should not and will not be first.

Only spiteful people that cant forgive act like that.

Vince Carter is the Player that put Toronto on the map, without him, the raptors might no be in Toronto anymore. The exictment he created in Toronto was as important for this Franchise.

In 10 years, most people will still know Vince worldwide, but outside of Toronto most will forget Lowry.

Lowry is still an active player and Vince already retired a few years.

These are just facts.

My Personal opinion:

Get over it and retire his jersey. It doesnt matter who comes first.

So the reason he should get his jersey retired is that more people will know of him outside of Toronto even though the honor is for the people and fans of Toronto? Makes sense. These are just facts.

My Personal opinion:

He's going into the HOF and not going to have his jersey retired because you normally reserve this honor to athletes with heart and loyalty OR players that are all time greats or embody what the franchise wants to represent. If a top season of 45 wins, a 1st round win and 2 all nba 2nd teams define this the standards are pretty low.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,066

Post#73 » by NotMyKawhi » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:00 am

Part of the reason we cant get stars to stay or sign here is our fanbase sucks. I would not want to play for the raptors if I were a superstar. If you ask any superstar if they should retire Vince's jersey 100% they say yes. Would you have prefered if Vince just left after his rookie deal like shaq did w the Magic?

You guys are wrong, not them.

No way! Pass! We saw what you did to Vince. Not happening.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,800

Post#74 » by metafisical » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:01 am

I say we should retire the jersey of every Raptor that has ever played for the team. Every Raptor played a part in getting us to our current state and every Raptor played a part in our 2018/19 championship. We are all connected to one another. Even those that signed a 10 day contract with us. As Canadians, we need to love all our players. We should not single out any one player.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,874

Post#75 » by ThatClockWork » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:13 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
Loyal_Canuck wrote:This is a no brainer! As much as I like Lowry to receive this honour first , Vince put the team on the map

Maybe Lowry gets a statue

Stop it with this map ****. The Raptors never had attendance problems before Vince or after. Getting attention from American media benefited the Raptors how? How many star players said to their agents, "I want to play with Vince. Get me to Toronto!"? Not one. Getting on the map means players want to come here. Players did not want to come here because of Vince. We are no more on the map than the Charlotte Hornets or the Portland Trailblazers.

Do you know this to be 100% fact?

This is what I cannot take seriously. Posts that include statements on things that person can never possibly know with absolute certainty.

You don't know that for sure. Contacts, extensions, timing, ownership willingness to spend are all major factors that go into recruiting top talent.

Which brings me back to: how do you PERSONALLY know no one wanted to come to Toronto to play with Vince?

"Because no one did" doesn't cut it at this point.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,005

Post#76 » by Los_29 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:24 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:
Fred!?!

You’re an old head who’s been around since day 1 of this franchise so I get the resentment towards Vince/T-Mac. Different era. They messed up something that could have been special. Life goes on.

That being said Fred is less than completely irrelevant. He’s just as selfish by the way. Dude was all about himself from the day he got here til the day he left. Only difference is he was no where near as good at basketball.

Vince quit on a team. He also coasted throughout his career and simply got by on his god given talent. Fred was a 6ft, unathletic point guard who went undrafted and developed into a good player in this league through playing and training extremely hard.

Wanting to be the best player you can be is not selfish. If he was selfish he wouldn’t be where he is today. Selfish players also don’t get recognized for being among the best teammates in the league.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,840

Post#77 » by rapstarter » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:44 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
WetLikeWater wrote:Without VC I dont think the raptors would of been the same team we know now! All the VC haters could suck it! #Retire15 :nod:

I agree. He definitely set the the foundation to the raptors winning. That amazing 45 win season and the 1st round that he won set the standard that the Bargnani's and the Bosh's of the world emulated thereafter.

The guy was so good he received the NBA 2nd team 2 times! VC was ALL HEART, LOYALTY the embodiment of what the Raptors are about and should aspire to be. Even though he admitted to not trying in the end it's ok, it's was the managements fault and we should empathize with him. Professional players have feeling too! Retire his jersey.

:lol:

If he had those, he would have been treated like God here even if we ended up not winning a single championship.

He was a very good player, and an historically entertaining/exciting one, but I just don't see why we should reward him for it with a jersey retirement. Put him in the Canadian HOF if you must, but he doesn't deserve a Raptors jersey retirement. In fact, I don't think ANY player that demands a trade out deserves one. Denver's not retiring Melo's despite him bringing them back to relevance for the first time in 15 years, and we shouldn't either.
40 Guzzle
Head Coach
And1: 528

Post#78 » by 40 Guzzle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:14 pm

ThatClockWork wrote:Do you know this to be 100% fact?

This is what I cannot take seriously. Posts that include statements on things that person can never possibly know with absolute certainty.

You don't know that for sure. Contacts, extensions, timing, ownership willingness to spend are all major factors that go into recruiting

well said, but I find it odd to have to need 100% facts to argue against "PUT US ON THE MAP", which is a fanboy catch-all phrase that is extremely fluid and super make-believe.

I was at the Stoudamire draft and attended every single preseason exhibition game in the city (pre-raptors). Toronto was on the NBA's map the minute the league started heavily researching and testing the viability of putting an NBA franchise here. Add the interest of an investor group, corporate sponsors and adjust for the city's changing demographics... it was a no brainer

Newsflash for the "PUT US ON THE MAP" crowd : Tristan Thompson & Corey Joseph were NEVER going to play Lacrosse
Olde English 800 cause that's my brand / Take it in a bottle, 40, quart, or a can
TheWave
Rookie
And1: 789

Post#79 » by TheWave » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:18 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Remember when he forced us to massively overpay for Hakeem Olajuwon and Antonio Davis if we wanted him to re-sign back with us? Then he shortly after forced the trade out of town, forcing us to take back crap in trade. Leaving us with a massively over bloated contract situation for most of the decade, and no assets.

If you ever wonder why Bosh had a terrible roster....this was why.

Exactly.

Retire it for what. Lowry gets that not Vince.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,286

Post#80 » by Green Backpack » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:44 pm

Nope. I'm all for that time has healed some wounds and our crowd was more pleasant to Vince towards the end, but he does not deserve his jersey to be retired given his exit.

Return to Toronto Raptors