ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,945

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#561 » by ForeverTFC » Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
SpezNc wrote:My other main worry about conveying the pick is I don’t trust MLSE especially Ed Rogers . They will ask Masai to be a mid team .

This team is not far from being MID. It’s far from being great .

Just watch Ed Rogers forcing Masai to be mid…

Only recently heard this through Leaf sources, but they are probably the most plugged-in, Rogers-wise, but fwiw (might be old news here) apparently something went seriously wrong during Massai’s last negotiation and Rogers is apparently very much out on Massai. I should point out that, if true, this doesn’t mean the reasoning behind this is sound, it might just be petty corporate BS, or it could be something more grounded like worrying about Massai’s many points of focus or just his track record since winning.

This has been covered in some corners. Masai and Ed don’t get along and Ed wanted him gone. His sister was backing Masai but her group lost the power struggle at Rogers. Bell and Larry are still backing Masai. It’s not just a basketball/business related rift btw - look into Ed/Trump and Masai/Trudeau - they don’t like each other.

Ed wants to take over all of MLSE. His first order of business will be to part with Masai. He will then relegate the Raptors below the Leafs and Jays. We can only hope Larry somehow keeps control the Raptors. Otherwise, we’re in for some dark ages stuff.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,056

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#562 » by Duffman100 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:21 pm

At least we do have poeltl for 3 more years at 19.5 flat.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#563 » by Chandan » Sun May 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Duffman100 wrote:At least we do have poeltl for 3 more years at 19.5 flat.

unless he requests a trade. Since it's been said he doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team and his pal pascal is gone.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#564 » by anotherhomer » Sun May 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Raptors_128 wrote:MLSE has every right to question why they are paying Masai so much money. It’s been a disaster and most of his moves have been mind boggling.

That's why I'm saying...there's a chance he stay but ujiri will take a payout if he does

Unless tim comes calling
adubmac
Junior
And1: 669

Post#565 » by adubmac » Sun May 12, 2024 9:25 pm

There's absolutely no justification for the Jak trade but what's done is done and no on bats 1000, so let's hope this is a learning moment for Masai and he makes up for it with future moves.
holy wack unlyrical lyrics
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,273

Post#566 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun May 12, 2024 9:25 pm

Chandan wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:
I'd rather have Scoot over Poeltl.

no one here is surprised you think this.

well yeah because that's what everyone thinks, except for a few delusional individuals.

lol why so triggered...could it be because a play in team today won the lottery
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,945

Post#567 » by ForeverTFC » Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
Raptors_128 wrote:MLSE has every right to question why they are paying Masai so much money. It’s been a disaster and most of his moves have been mind boggling.

That's why I'm saying...there's a chance he stay but ujiri will take a payout if he does

Unless tim comes calling

He probably joins Larry and the Kilmer group. Masai is gone the moment Ed gets control of the board.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,600

Post#568 » by Harry Palmer » Sun May 12, 2024 9:28 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
SpezNc wrote:My other main worry about conveying the pick is I don’t trust MLSE especially Ed Rogers . They will ask Masai to be a mid team .

This team is not far from being MID. It’s far from being great .

Just watch Ed Rogers forcing Masai to be mid…

Only recently heard this through Leaf sources, but they are probably the most plugged-in, Rogers-wise, but fwiw (might be old news here) apparently something went seriously wrong during Massai’s last negotiation and Rogers is apparently very much out on Massai. I should point out that, if true, this doesn’t mean the reasoning behind this is sound, it might just be petty corporate BS, or it could be something more grounded like worrying about Massai’s many points of focus or just his track record since winning.

This has been covered in some corners. Masai and Ed don’t get along and Ed wanted him gone. His sister was backing Masai but her group lost the power struggle at Rogers. Bell and Larry are still backing Masai. It’s not just a basketball/business related rift btw - look into Ed/Trump and Masai/Trudeau - they don’t like each other.

Ed wants to take over all of MLSE. His first order of business will be to part with Masai. He will then relegate the Raptors below the Leafs and Jays. We can only hope Larry somehow keeps control the Raptors. Otherwise, we’re in for some dark ages stuff.

Had not heard anything about the political/ideaological aspect, which is fascinating and terrifying if a Trump guy is in charge of anything above a dog-walking firm that I care about. Appreciate the info.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#569 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun May 12, 2024 9:29 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
SFour wrote:
a bust and weak draft pick that's likely a role player....wow Raptors would've been eating good. 2nd championship would've been on the way.

You just called a player that has 62 career games a bust? Did you also call Gradey a bust in the beginning of the season? What a joke of a comment.

You'd rather a roleplayer and no pick. Christ almighty, some of the stuff you masai defenders say is flat out hilarious.

I doubt Masai would have drafted Scoot tbh. He has a similar eye for talent as Thorpe and Thorpe was saying there is a real chance Scoot is Eric Bledsoe before the draft last year.

If we had the 3rd pick, we would have traded down and picked one of the Thompson twins, Coulibaly, or Cason Wallace. Not taking a side in your debate here btw.

its tough to know what masai et al would've done but the consensus two and three were miller and scoot; so that's the best we have to go on.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
SpezNc
Rookie
And1: 592

Post#570 » by SpezNc » Sun May 12, 2024 9:30 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

Had not heard anything about the political/ideaological aspect, which is fascinating and terrifying if a Trump guy is in charge of anything above a dog-walking firm that I care about. Appreciate the info.

Yup . Ed Rogers is a Trump disciple. That is indeed terrifying!
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,717

Post#571 » by SFour » Sun May 12, 2024 9:32 pm

Chandan wrote:
SFour wrote:
Chandan wrote:
It's okay we just need to sign less McDaniels and trade for more Dinwiddles then waive them.

from what I remember the majority of people on here were happy when they signed McDaniels....but everyones a genius in hindsight.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2305311&start=20

The majority of people who aren't privy to resources that a GM and his scouting department has. But most of the majority you talked about are people who blindly supports Masai and everything he does.

thankfully we have a GM and scouting department that picked Barnes while the majority of people were calling for Suggs.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#572 » by Chandan » Sun May 12, 2024 9:33 pm

SFour wrote:
Chandan wrote:
SFour wrote:
from what I remember the majority of people on here were happy when they signed McDaniels....but everyones a genius in hindsight.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2305311&start=20

The majority of people who aren't privy to resources that a GM and his scouting department has. But most of the majority you talked about are people who blindly supports Masai and everything he does.

thankfully we have a GM and scouting department that picked Barnes while the majority of people were calling for Suggs.

thankfully I also didn't call for Suggs and supported Barnes from day 1. On the last week of the draft I am starting to see sugg top out as a George Hill level player.

But then again, Suggs isn't looking so bad right now. You can say that Scoot still has the potential to get to that level or higher, certainly a higher chance than Poeltl developing a jumpshot 6 year into his career.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Post#573 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 12, 2024 9:33 pm

Masai would gladly get fired and keep his entire pay with him lol.

Naw, let his ass fix his mess, he ain’t going anywhere.
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,476

Post#574 » by TRik » Sun May 12, 2024 9:34 pm

A fitting cap to an absolutely disastrous year. Masai hasn’t looked this bad his whole career. Regardless of what anyone is saying….tanking and then not having a lottery pick to show for in the end is terrible management.
‘Silly rabbit’
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#575 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun May 12, 2024 9:37 pm

Tacoma wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:this is a bad outcome honestly

how so? we had to give up a pick and we don't project good enough to make the playoffs next year either.
the only better outcome would've been to give up the 9th or 10th pick lol.

How so is it a bad outcome? Let's recap...

We were in 10th place then Masai traded for veteran expiring C in Poeltl with aim to make the playoffs Result: Failed to make playoffs AND by choosing to go for it instead of tanking, we also ended up with a lower 2023 pick. Double Fail.

The justification logic then became that Poeltl would be re-signed to help us reach the playoffs in 2023-24 season. Result: We were a pathetic 22-38 before Barnes went down and no hope of making the playoffs. Result: Failed playoff bid again.

After that paltry 22-38 start (despite trying to win), we finally decided to tank hard with goal to keep the 2024 pick. Result: We failed to keep our pick. So, we didn't tank for a 2023 pick that we had and tanked for a 2024 pick that we didn't have.

Outcome? For an expiring contract, the Spurs got a 2023 2nd round pick, the 2024 #8 pick and a 2025 2nd round pick. And Birch. That's pretty bad. Honestly.

If we hadn't made the poeltl trade, worst we could've been was 5th(and probably not even as blazers blatantly tanked by sitting lillard); at which point we would have drafted scoot. not exactly a win there.
our expectations this season was around generally around a 0.500 team in the beginning of the year. if we could've accomplished that, we would've given up around 10-11th pick. we gave up the 8th pick instead. a loss for sure but not a huge one especially in a bad draft.
this is not a win and i agree with you that the poeltl trade was a mistake but the price wasn't huge.
giving up the 2 SRPs is inconsequential.
TRik
Lead Assistant

Post#576 » by TRik » Sun May 12, 2024 9:41 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:how so? we had to give up a pick and we don't project good enough to make the playoffs next year either.
the only better outcome would've been to give up the 9th or 10th pick lol.

How so is it a bad outcome? Let's recap...

We were in 10th place then Masai traded for veteran expiring C in Poeltl with aim to make the playoffs Result: Failed to make playoffs AND by choosing to go for it instead of tanking, we also ended up with a lower 2023 pick. Double Fail.

The justification logic then became that Poeltl would be re-signed to help us reach the playoffs in 2023-24 season. Result: We were a pathetic 22-38 before Barnes went down and no hope of making the playoffs. Result: Failed playoff bid again.

After that paltry 22-38 start (despite trying to win), we finally decided to tank hard with goal to keep the 2024 pick. Result: We failed to keep our pick. So, we didn't tank for a 2023 pick that we had and tanked for a 2024 pick that we didn't have.

Outcome? For an expiring contract, the Spurs got a 2023 2nd round pick, the 2024 #8 pick and a 2025 2nd round pick. And Birch. That's pretty bad. Honestly.

If we hadn't made the poeltl trade, worst we could've been was 5th(and probably not even as blazers blatantly tanked by sitting lillard); at which point we would have drafted scoot. not exactly a win there.
our expectations this season was around generally around a 0.500 team in the beginning of the year. if we could've accomplished that, we would've given up around 10-11th pick. we gave up the 8th pick instead. a loss for sure but not a huge one especially in a bad draft.
this is not a win and i agree with you that the poeltl trade was a mistake but the price wasn't huge.
giving up the 2 SRPs is inconsequential.

People writing off Scoot too early. His shot began falling towards the end of the year and he’s an absolute tank of an athlete. Let’s assess at year three.
‘Silly rabbit’
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#577 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun May 12, 2024 9:41 pm

MainEvent wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
MainEvent wrote:
you don't know the lotto results prior right? :lol: more balls the better in the Wemby draft, our team wasn't doing anything that year

we know the results now though right? that the tank wouldn't have gotten us wemby.
the only reason you don't want to acknowledge it is that it works against the pro-tank argument.
heck in today's draft the only clear winners were houston and atlanta. SA moved up one spot; everyone else moved down or stayed pat. lottery and tanking are gambits that more than often don't work out.
its no different than desperate poor people playing the lottery. more often than out, it blows up in your face.

I'd rather a higher pick in the 23 draft and a higher % chance at Wemby plus our own 1st rounder this year than a failed play-in run.
The deal at the time made no sense, should have been sellers not buyers. Tried to slap a band-aid on our roster instead of rebuilding with Scottie

Masai trying to hang on

i wouldn't have made that trade either and masai admitted as much in the siakam press conference.
the higher pick would've yielded scoot though, which is not any kind of a game changing move.
while a mistake, i don't think it has set us back by any significant measure.
TRik
Lead Assistant

Post#578 » by TRik » Sun May 12, 2024 9:43 pm

HumbleRen wrote:Masai would gladly get fired and keep his entire pay with him lol.

Naw, let his ass fix his mess, he ain’t going anywhere.

You and I have had this conversation before Humble….i want to believe Masai still has it in him to fix this but my confidence in that has been waning more and more as time goes on.
‘Silly rabbit’
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,116

Post#579 » by tms » Sun May 12, 2024 9:44 pm

Never liked the idea of owing picks so I'm cool w ripping the bandaid off. And I don't know if it's cuz I"m getting older or what, but just watched tape of the projected lotto and I'm nonplussed by them anyway. At least 19 and 31 will keep things interesting. All things considered I think we made out ok. Glad it's over.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,056

Post#580 » by Duffman100 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:50 pm

tms wrote:Never liked the idea of owing picks so I'm cool w ripping the bandaid off. And I don't know if it's cuz I"m getting older or what, but I just watched tape of the projected lotto and I'm nonplussed by them anyway. At least 19 and 31 will keep things interesting. All things considered I think we made out ok. Glad it's over.

Yeah at least it's done. And now we own all of our 1sts

Return to Toronto Raptors