ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 2

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,208

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 2 

Post#381 » by ForeverTFC » Mon May 20, 2024 5:17 pm

Buddythefriend wrote:30-16 FT attempt disparity favoring the road team? I'm indifferent to these teams but looks like a classic NBA fix job.

Nah, Denver had the favorable whistle; at least 2 phantom fouls on KAT yesterday and multiple non-calls when Ant was fouled. Disparity should have been even higher.

Denver did it to themselves. Minny/Ant was passing it to Gobert way too much and for some reason Denver would bail them out by fouling Gobert. The guy has a worse touch than me and could barely back down Murray, just body him up and let him shoot.
RealGM
And1: 66,567

Post#382 » by 720 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:22 pm

Boston has a much easier path to the championship with Denver out of the picture.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,824

Post#383 » by Fairview4Life » Mon May 20, 2024 5:40 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Buddythefriend wrote:30-16 FT attempt disparity favoring the road team? I'm indifferent to these teams but looks like a classic NBA fix job.

Nah, Denver had the favorable whistle; at least 2 phantom fouls on KAT yesterday and multiple non-calls when Ant was fouled. Disparity should have been even higher.

Denver did it to themselves. Minny/Ant was passing it to Gobert way too much and for some reason Denver would bail them out by fouling Gobert. The guy has a worse touch than me and could barely back down Murray, just body him up and let him shoot.

KAT, as always, earned all of his fouls.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,255

Post#384 » by HumbleRen » Mon May 20, 2024 6:18 pm

Los_29 wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:This is the best case scenario for the Celtics, their fanbase gotta be happy as hell lol

A depleted Knicks team would’ve been easier. Pacers won 4 of the last 5 games in this Knicks series.

I’m just talking about their path to the finals.

Basically 0 resistance.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,102

Post#385 » by mihaic » Mon May 20, 2024 9:51 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Dallas and Minnesota both don't start centres that shoot 3s.

I was told in the past Rudy Gobert is unplayable in the modern NBA. Now Minnesota has the best defense?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,689

Post#386 » by Scase » Mon May 20, 2024 9:58 pm

HumbleRen wrote:

Not if you watched the game. Minny was hyper aggressive at getting to the rim.

Only player on Denver that was willing to get to the rim was Jokic, everyone else was scared of Rudy in the middle.

If anything, refs were letting a ton of stuff slide for Denver.

Nothing screams fix job like the NBA favouring the Timberwolves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Props TZ!
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,179

Post#387 » by WaltFrazier » Tue May 21, 2024 3:14 am

If Pacers lose a close game in Boston tomorrow and the Celtics get a couple of calls down the stretch, I wonder if Carlisle will play the postgame rant/small market/sending clips to the league card again?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,428

Post#388 » by JB7 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:21 am

With both Jokic and Embiid out of the playoffs before the conference finals, does it show that building a contender around a C as the best player on the team, is still difficult to do in the modern NBA?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,744

Post#389 » by C_Money » Tue May 21, 2024 4:26 am

JB7 wrote:With both Jokic and Embiid out of the playoffs before the conference finals, does it show that building a contender around a C as the best player on the team, still difficult to do in the modern NBA?

It can be done but you definitely need a star guard to pair with him.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,255

Post#390 » by HumbleRen » Tue May 21, 2024 5:34 am

JB7 wrote:With both Jokic and Embiid out of the playoffs before the conference finals, does it show that building a contender around a C as the best player on the team, is still difficult to do in the modern NBA?

No, I think it just shows that parity is stronger than ever and we’re not going to see another team like the Warriors or Lebron Cavs for a very long time.

And the way the cap and second apron stuff is set up, it’s going to be virtually impossible to create a dynasty.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,817

Post#391 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue May 21, 2024 6:54 am

So f*cking weird with no hoops on Monday night ugh.
SirKen
Rookie
And1: 1,129

Post#392 » by SirKen » Tue May 21, 2024 11:10 am

mihaic wrote:

I was told in the past Rudy Gobert is unplayable in the modern NBA. Now Minnesota has the best defense?

Didn't you know? Traditional defensive center position is dead and we should trade Poeltl asap!!
SirKen
Rookie
And1: 1,129

Post#393 » by SirKen » Tue May 21, 2024 11:12 am

JB7 wrote:With both Jokic and Embiid out of the playoffs before the conference finals, does it show that building a contender around a C as the best player on the team, is still difficult to do in the modern NBA?

First of all, **** Embiid!

With that out of the way, the problem with Jokic's team was not Jokic. It was everyone else. That team was poorly built with no support.

The excuse that they have played too many games last year was also rich. It is as **** of an excuse as the "if Warriors weren't injured in the finals.." Don't build the team that top heavy or try to fill the bench then!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,037

Post#394 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue May 21, 2024 11:40 am

Wolves are right there. Jokic just won a chip, so... hard no.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,941

Post#395 » by WuTang_OG » Tue May 21, 2024 12:26 pm

more equally matched teams in general. denver could have won it again , the wolves were just a real tough matchup for them cuz of their defense
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,689

Post#396 » by Scase » Tue May 21, 2024 1:23 pm

Not at all, just always going to need that win/guard scorer. Murray just didn't play well/was injured.

SirKen wrote:
mihaic wrote:

Didn't you know? Traditional defensive center position is dead and we should trade Poeltl asap!!

Yeah as soon as Jak wins multiple DPOTY awards, then we can give him a pass on his nonexistent shooting.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#397 » by JB7 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:43 pm

C_Money wrote:
JB7 wrote:With both Jokic and Embiid out of the playoffs before the conference finals, does it show that building a contender around a C as the best player on the team, still difficult to do in the modern NBA?

It can be done but you definitely need a star guard to pair with him.

What's more important though, the guard who can dictate play by themselves, or the C, who has to rely on a guard to get them the ball?
JB7
Analyst

Post#398 » by JB7 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm

HumbleRen wrote:

No, I think it just shows that parity is stronger than ever and we’re not going to see another team like the Warriors or Lebron Cavs for a very long time.

And the way the cap and second apron stuff is set up, it’s going to be virtually impossible to create a dynasty.

Yes, the parity created by the cap and financial situation definitely levels the playing field, making it extremely difficult to build a dynasty team. But will that mean that having that one star that can carry a game on their own will matter even more, and does that further limit the ability of a C to be that star, since they have to rely on a wing or guard to get them the ball?
JB7
Analyst

Post#399 » by JB7 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:48 pm

SirKen wrote:

First of all, **** Embiid!

With that out of the way, the problem with Jokic's team was not Jokic. It was everyone else. That team was poorly built with no support.

The excuse that they have played too many games last year was also rich. It is as **** of an excuse as the "if Warriors weren't injured in the finals.." Don't build the team that top heavy or try to fill the bench then!

Agree completely with you on the F Embiid.

I don't know that Denver was poorly built. I think their starting lineup fit perfectly with Jokic, they just all didn't get it done in the playoffs and the bench was super thin, which is just going to be the case for most teams with all the new financial restrictions in place.

What it came down to was Jokic was limited in his ability to just carry the team at the end.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,892

Post#400 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 21, 2024 3:32 pm

I was reading that only 1 player in the top 15 in salaries this year has made it to the conference finals (Gobert).

It's just getting more difficult building a team when a few guys are making all the money. It's going to be almost untenable to have 2 supermax guys on the same team. Even having 3 regular max level guys will be a struggle unless you're willing to pay loads of tax and even if you can somehow manage it, your depth will suffer.

Return to Toronto Raptors