ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,920

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#481 » by Thaddy » Mon May 20, 2024 7:39 am

CazOnReal wrote:You know how Masai said "if we trade O.G. we'll be looking for another O.G." and we're doing just that i.e. we're trying to find a wing defender who can hit the 3?

It's going to be the same thing with Poeltl unless you're drafting a center which again, no guarantee Missi (rim protecting big) or Ware (stretch 5 with serious motor concerns), the two most obvious centers to select in this draft as a replacement, will be available at 19.

If Koloko was healthy and with the team then maybe i'd be open to trading Jakob because at least then you have someone who can protect the rim (in theory, Koloko needed to add some more size to his frame) but right now you're...
A) Going to have to compete with teams wanting Allen more

B) going to have teams who can opt for Capela as a budget rim protector

C) Going to have to match salary in addition to whatever draft capital you think you're getting (1 1st, a first and 2nd, etc.)

Yeah a team like OKC, Memphis, Pelicans or even the Rockets would like Poeltl but the market isn't exactly in a drought regarding traditional big men, and this is before you look at free agency where Claxton and Hartenstein are options.

This isn't "Poeltl is too valuable to trade!", it's "This is a bad time to trade Poeltl given the competition in the current market and the Raptors have f*ckall options at center if you're not getting a young 5 in return".

I would guess Poeltl has a good trade market. He's a good vet that was on SAS under Pop for several years. Maybe OKC likes his IQ and other qualities.

I would prefer a rim protecting lob threat, but we also need skilled size too. I'm surprised you didn't mention Filipowski. If we could go into the next season with a front court of Clax and Filipowski. I'd argue we'd be much better.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#482 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 20, 2024 8:03 am

Thaddy wrote:
I would prefer a rim protecting lob threat, but we also need skilled size too. I'm surprised you didn't mention Filipowski. If we could go into the next season with a front court of Clax and Filipowski. I'd argue we'd be much better.

That's because Kyle is not a rim protecting lob threat, he's a prospect you hope becomes Kelly Olynyk. Decent stretch 5 with passing chops but not a rim protector by any definition of those words.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,940

Post#483 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:24 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

That's because Kyle is not a rim protecting lob threat, he's a prospect you hope becomes Kelly Olynyk. Decent stretch 5 with passing chops but not a rim protector by any definition of those words.

Well by all accounts from the combine etc. Ware is a serious prospect save for not being known to have high motor. If Jaxson Hayes declines his league minimum option we can snap him up as defacto back-up. That would be Ware, Hayes and Kelly (for bbiq-experience). Kelly can also back up Scottie so we'd be set up nicely to develop two young big men. I'd prefer we go Carrington or JaKobe Walter at 19 but if we packaged Poetl-Brown to GSW for Moody-Wiggins etc. including a first in subsequent drafts we would not need to draft another guard-wing. Salaun will be gone by 19. Masai-Bobby won't pick up the phone to move up to 9 or 11 or has never done so. Poetl IS a good fit but he is counter to a rebuild. He'd be perfect in GSW and Brown too. Package them and draft Ware.
agkagk
Analyst

Post#484 » by agkagk » Mon May 20, 2024 4:34 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

Well by all accounts from the combine etc. Ware is a serious prospect save for not being known to have high motor. If Jaxson Hayes declines his league minimum option we can snap him up as defacto back-up. That would be Ware, Hayes and Kelly (for bbiq-experience). Kelly can also back up Scottie so we'd be set up nicely to develop two young big men. I'd prefer we go Carrington or JaKobe Walter at 19 but if we packaged Poetl-Brown to GSW for Moody-Wiggins etc. including a first in subsequent drafts we would not need to draft another guard-wing. Salaun will be gone by 19. Masai-Bobby won't pick up the phone to move up to 9 or 11 or has never done so. Poetl IS a good fit but he is counter to a rebuild. He'd be perfect in GSW and Brown too. Package them and draft Ware.

Face it.

Were not rebuilding!
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 568

Post#485 » by islandboy53 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:40 pm

agkagk wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:That's because Kyle is not a rim protecting lob threat, he's a prospect you hope becomes Kelly Olynyk. Decent stretch 5 with passing chops but not a rim protector by any definition of those words.

Face it.

Were not rebuilding!

We are rebuilding, but we already started the process this year. We have a solid nucleus moving forward, with BBQ, Gradey, Poeltl, Olynyk, Agbaji, #19 and #31. Poeltl is both a good fit, and perfect for our current development focus. He will not be traded in the short term, pending a ridiculous offer, which seems unlikely. Brown will be moved for assets to add to our current collection of future picks. But we are definitely not tanking next year.
agkagk
Analyst

Post#486 » by agkagk » Mon May 20, 2024 7:11 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
agkagk wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Face it.

Were not rebuilding!

We are rebuilding, but we already started the process this year. We have a solid nucleus moving forward, with BBQ, Gradey, Poeltl, Olynyk, Agbaji, #19 and #31. Poeltl is both a good fit, and perfect for our current development focus. He will not be traded in the short term, pending a ridiculous offer, which seems unlikely. Brown will be moved for assets to add to our current collection of future picks. But we are definitely not tanking next year.

Rj quick barnes - dick - acbaji - a bunch of norm powell level prospects.

Thats our young core

Were building. Theres a difference.

Its time to learn to win.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#487 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 20, 2024 8:13 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

I would rather not have a convicted domestic abuser on the roster.

Let alone one that sucks on court as much as Hayes.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 568

Post#488 » by islandboy53 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:33 pm

agkagk wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Face it.

Were not rebuilding!

Rj quick barnes - dick - acbaji - a bunch of norm powell level prospects.

Thats our young core

Were building. Theres a difference.

Its time to learn to win.

Did you forget the green font? You can argue that Dick and Agbaji are Powell level prospects, but RJ, IQ and particularly Barnes are head and shoulders better than Norm. And whether we're building or rebuilding, we're developing this group and adding to it. We'll see how much winning that translates to next year.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 732

Post#489 » by TGM » Tue May 21, 2024 4:43 am

If we are looking for a quick retool a few moves we could consider:

Brown and Jakob for Ingram and Daniels.

Sign Hartenstein.

Re-up Gary.

Draft salune and chomche

IQ - Daniels - vet min
Ingram - Trent - JFL
Barrett - Dick- Salune
Barnes - McDaniels - vet Min
Hartenstein - Kelly - Chomche

We add a big defensive Pg behind IQ

Boost out 3 PT shooting immensely and gives us an offensive alpha

Get a cheaper version of Jakob

Have two international projects.
vanhill
Senior
And1: 245

Post#490 » by vanhill » Tue May 21, 2024 10:36 am

TGM wrote:If we are looking for a quick retool a few moves we could consider:

Sign Hartenstein.

Re-up Gary.

Draft salune and chomche

IQ - Daniels - vet min
Ingram - Trent - JFL
Barrett - Dick- Salune

I like Jakob, not sure if they would give up Ingram for him
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,702

Post#491 » by hyper316 » Tue May 21, 2024 12:36 pm

vanhill wrote:
TGM wrote:If we are looking for a quick retool a few moves we could consider:

Sign Hartenstein.

Re-up Gary.

Draft salune and chomche

IQ - Daniels - vet min
Ingram - Trent - JFL
Barrett - Dick- Salune

I like Jakob, not sure if they would give up Ingram for him

Ingram is hurt every single season other than rookie season. Like OG for that same reason people don't want to extend OG
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,389

Post#492 » by alpngso » Tue May 21, 2024 2:37 pm

Read on Twitter

goodnight sweet prince
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,892

Post#493 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 21, 2024 2:41 pm

15/5/3 with splits of 44/35/82 and 56 TS for Monk this year. I mean, that's solid, but some people are going way overboard with the Monk hype. He's a solid 6th man type, but if a team pays him like one of their top 3-4 players, they will regret it.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,481

Post#494 » by Asif16 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:52 pm

We wont be in the market for Monk. Someone will overpay and it wont be us. Masai will want to keep cap flexibility for trades that will go down. I think Raptors are in a position to facilitate as a 3rd team if needed.

With that being said, I see us targeting Patrick Williams, Kris Dunn and Jalen Smith in free agency. Boucher dumped. Mcdaniels waived

Immanuel Quickley / Kris Dunn
Rj Barrett / Gradey Dick / Gary Trent
Scottie Barnes / Gary Trent / Ochai Agbaji
Patrick Williams / Kelly Olynik / Ochai
Jakob Poetl / Jalen Smith
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,185

Post#495 » by billy_hoyle » Tue May 21, 2024 4:03 pm

Asif16 wrote:We wont be in the market for Monk. Someone will overpay and it wont be us. Masai will want to keep cap flexibility for trades that will go down. I think Raptors are in a position to facilitate as a 3rd team if needed.

With that being said, I see us targeting Patrick Williams, Kris Dunn and Jalen Smith in free agency. Boucher dumped. Mcdaniels waived

I'd be curious how you plan on adding Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith, and Dunn, while keeping Gary and off loading McDaniels and Boucher? (Sign and trade Brown?)

This seems basically impossible to me.

That and not considering the rookies 19 and 31.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,801

Post#496 » by Michael Jordan » Tue May 21, 2024 4:46 pm

I'm praying to see some needle movers in the draft and free agency, I don't want to come back on RealGM next year in the exact same boat; talking about a late lotto pick and random role player free agents.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,481

Post#497 » by Asif16 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:52 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
Asif16 wrote:We wont be in the market for Monk. Someone will overpay and it wont be us. Masai will want to keep cap flexibility for trades that will go down. I think Raptors are in a position to facilitate as a 3rd team if needed.

I'd be curious how you plan on adding Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith, and Dunn, while keeping Gary and off loading McDaniels and Boucher? (Sign and trade Brown?)

Will we not have enough cap space if we offload Brown, Boucher and waive mcdaniels?
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,509

Post#498 » by Spida888 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:08 pm

Asif16 wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

Will we not have enough cap space if we offload Brown, Boucher and waive mcdaniels?

Letting both Gary and Brown go and renouncing other cap holds except for IQ and the picks gives us around 29M in cap space. If we decide to keep Gary we won’t have much cap space at all and will probably pick up Brown’s contract instead.

Boucher and McDaniels are still on contract. Waiving them won’t give us back any cap space and trading them requires us to take salary back unless the other team absorbs them into their free cap space.
RaptorLakerJay
Senior
And1: 275

Post#499 » by RaptorLakerJay » Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm

Those are exactly the moves that I'd like too. I also agree with the other posters that I don't think we'd be keeping Gary in that instance.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,185

Post#500 » by billy_hoyle » Tue May 21, 2024 5:57 pm

Asif16 wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

I don't think so.

Gary has a big cap hold. Waiving McDaniels does nothing for our available cap space - it's dead money. Boucher would need to be traded into cap space/TPE to not require matching salaries.

Even the I don't think we'd have enough. What contracts do you see these guys getting : Pat, GTJ, Smith and Dunn?

Return to Toronto Raptors