ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,179

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#341 » by WaltFrazier » Mon May 20, 2024 12:06 pm

Merit wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Merit wrote:
Cheering for Minny so Jamal gets some rest.

Not looking so good now. But yeah if Murray and SGA are resting now they'll be well ready for Paris. NAW and Nembhard can play longer, no worries. At least I hope Nembhard is named to the team, that's 4 solid NBA guards Inc two stars.

Shai, Jamal - we’re only missing wiggins

And Wiggins been off a long time already. Let's get him committed already
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,538

Post#342 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon May 20, 2024 1:35 pm

Jamal was the guy I really cared about. As with anything with Team Canada, I won't entirely trust what I hear until I actually see him on the court, but having an SGA-Murray backcourt is a game changer. Murray will also be the best true shooter on the team, which is really important.

I don't actually care as much about Wiggins. While it might be interesting to have him, we've got lots of other wings like Brooks, Barrett, and Dort. I guess he's a bit taller, and so if he could play small-ball 4 in some lineups that would be useful.

I'm definitely on board with bringing in Nembhard, though. I think he should be the first choice of the guys that weren't on the "commitment list" a couple of years ago. He's played with Team Canada in the past, and so this wouldn't be much of a stretch. Also, he'd basically be the only true point guard on the team, although obviously SGA, Murray, and NAW can play that role.

As always, the biggest questions will be about the bigs. If we assume Olynyk and Powell will be there (and along with SGA, Murray, NAW, Dort, Barrett, Brooks, and Nembhard), that leaves 3 roster spots. Hopefully Edey will be able to play instead of being held out by the team that drafts him. I think Ejim will be on the team, as a member of the core commitment group, and to give something to the non-NBA guys who have put in all the hard work to get the team there.

That leaves one spot. Wiggins? Or someone bigger? Kyle Alexander? Trey Lyles? I could see any of those options. They're obviously all very different players, so it'll partly depend on what Barrett Sr. and the coaching staff think they need.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,685

Post#343 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon May 20, 2024 2:28 pm

I'm 99% confident the whole gang will show up.
Stromile12
Head Coach
And1: 13,241

Post#344 » by Stromile12 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:53 pm

Lyles would be a nice depth pickup for the squad
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#345 » by WaltFrazier » Mon May 20, 2024 3:58 pm

It's sad Powell fell out of the Mavs rotation but at least he'll be fresh even if they go to the Finals.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,685

Post#346 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon May 20, 2024 4:37 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Jamal was the guy I really cared about. As with anything with Team Canada, I won't entirely trust what I hear until I actually see him on the court, but having an SGA-Murray backcourt is a game changer. Murray will also be the best true shooter on the team, which is really important.

I don't actually care as much about Wiggins. While it might be interesting to have him, we've got lots of other wings like Brooks, Barrett, and Dort. I guess he's a bit taller, and so if he could play small-ball 4 in some lineups that would be useful.

I'm definitely on board with bringing in Nembhard, though. I think he should be the first choice of the guys that weren't on the "commitment list" a couple of years ago. He's played with Team Canada in the past, and so this wouldn't be much of a stretch. Also, he'd basically be the only true point guard on the team, although obviously SGA, Murray, and NAW can play that role.

As always, the biggest questions will be about the bigs. If we assume Olynyk and Powell will be there (and along with SGA, Murray, NAW, Dort, Barrett, Brooks, and Nembhard), that leaves 3 roster spots. Hopefully Edey will be able to play instead of being held out by the team that drafts him. I think Ejim will be on the team, as a member of the core commitment group, and to give something to the non-NBA guys who have put in all the hard work to get the team there.

That leaves one spot. Wiggins? Or someone bigger? Kyle Alexander? Trey Lyles? I could see any of those options. They're obviously all very different players, so it'll partly depend on what Barrett Sr. and the coaching staff think they need.

I’m sure Edey and Wiggins will be there
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#347 » by mojo13 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:24 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
I’m sure Edey and Wiggins will be there

I do think Edey will play. No sure thing of course - but he committed, he is part of the Core, he played last year and by all appearances it looks like he really wants to play. Yet we know the draft is a wildcard.

But please give me some justification for your certainty on Wiggins. That is a strange one.
No one is certain he wants to play. No one is certain Canada Basketball even wants him. No one is certain the players want him.
I'm not saying he doesn't want to play or they don't want him, but there is been so much time and opportunity for all parties to be vocal about it yet we have not seen much. Wiggins turned down the Core invite and turned down allot of other invites over the years. You'd think he'd be loud and clear if he really wants to play now (I would).
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,531
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#348 » by SharoneWright » Mon May 20, 2024 5:44 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:

This is very much the key. We are sooo weak up front that I've been pencilling in Wiggins (unlikely to be there) and even Barrett to play significant time at the 4. It's really too bad Clarke got wiped out. He's probably our best PF option --- guys like Lyles, Powell just won't cut it, not much better than Boucher or Brissett. Coupled with Olynyk, there is very little "man-strength" on the block.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,508

Post#349 » by Hair Canada » Tue May 21, 2024 10:05 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Jamal was the guy I really cared about. As with anything with Team Canada, I won't entirely trust what I hear until I actually see him on the court, but having an SGA-Murray backcourt is a game changer. Murray will also be the best true shooter on the team, which is really important.

I'm mostly with you, Buddha. For the 12th guy (assuming everyone else is indeed available), I might actually advocate for TT. He has a history suiting up for the team, including suiting up right after the Cavs championship, so there's an argument that it's not too much of a stretch. And he fills in what might be the most glaring gap -- someone who can put a body on opposing bigs in the paint and rebound well on both ends. Lyles provides shooting and mobility, but is a mediocre rebounder and not strong enough. Edey can be a solution for the 10-15 minutes a game that Powell seats. But (1) as mojo said, he might not be available, and (2) I'm not sure Jordi trusts him enough and is willing to make the necessary adjetmnets (particulalry on defense) to maximize his effect. TT seems like an easier fit, without the need for defensive scheme adjustments.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mathgeek
Junior
And1: 136

Post#350 » by mathgeek » Tue May 21, 2024 12:36 pm

Tristan Thompson would be a good player and exactly what they need out of their center role. A hustling big man that can just grab rebounds and earn 5 fouls. TT also looks to be in great shape.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,538

Post#351 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue May 21, 2024 3:10 pm

Hair Canada wrote:

I'm mostly with you, Buddha. For the 12th guy (assuming everyone else is indeed available), I might actually advocate for TT. He has a history suiting up for the team, including suiting up right after the Cavs championship, so there's an argument that it's not too much of a stretch. And he fills in what might be the most glaring gap -- someone who can put a body on opposing bigs in the paint and rebound well on both ends. Lyles provides shooting and mobility, but is a mediocre rebounder and not strong enough. Edey can be a solution for the 10-15 minutes a game that Powell seats. But (1) as mojo said, he might not be available, and (2) I'm not sure Jordi trusts him enough and is willing to make the necessary adjetmnets (particulalry on defense) to maximize his effect. TT seems like an easier fit, without the need for defensive scheme adjustments.

I was on the TT train earlier in the season too. I agree that he fits the biggest need for the team. He can rebound really well and mix it up with most bigs, but is also still fairly switchable to a point on defence.

But I got really scared off by his suspension earlier in the year for growth hormones. The Olympics takes that stuff seriously (or, at least, at times they can choose to take it seriously). And I wouldn't want to risk the whole team losing a medal because Thompson is playing around with drugs trying to extend his career. But maybe I'm being overly cautious.
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,265

Post#352 » by kwajo » Tue May 21, 2024 4:19 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

I was on the TT train earlier in the season too. I agree that he fits the biggest need for the team. He can rebound really well and mix it up with most bigs, but is also still fairly switchable to a point on defence.

But I got really scared off by his suspension earlier in the year for growth hormones. The Olympics takes that stuff seriously (or, at least, at times they can choose to take it seriously). And I wouldn't want to risk the whole team losing a medal because Thompson is playing around with drugs trying to extend his career. But maybe I'm being overly cautious.

I forgot about his suspension, that's a great point. Otherwise I agree that Tristan is exactly what this small team needs, someone who has the muscle and size - and willingness to use both - to throw at other teams that try to bully our world-class guards.

Hard to believe he's only 33 still, feels like he's been around as long as Horford or Jeff Green and those guys.
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 666

Post#353 » by BilboBanginz » Fri May 24, 2024 2:09 pm

Myck was one of the most hyped prospects back the early days of the "golden generation" and was considered a potential 1st round pick at one point. It's a shame his career never really panned out. He originally played for Canada but later jumped to the DR Congo national team.

He's still only 32.

Read on Twitter
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 259

Post#354 » by Consequence » Fri May 24, 2024 8:05 pm

Hoping we get a roster announcement in the next couple of weeks.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#355 » by WaltFrazier » Sun May 26, 2024 4:28 pm

I've said this a few times but after last night I have to repeat, Nembhard has to be named to the team right? A four man backcourt rotation of SGA, Murray, NAW and Nembhard might be the best in the world.
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,230

Post#356 » by bozothepope » Tue May 28, 2024 3:13 am

Pacers coach Carlisle said post-game 4 that Nembhard is playing for Canada this summer, and Mathurin won’t be cleared to play but will be around the Canadian team this summer too.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,923

Post#357 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue May 28, 2024 5:03 am

So excited to see this Canadian roster in the Olympics... top 4 talent imo.... depth... led by two-stars in Murray and Shai...

Only weakness is bigs... who gets the last spots?
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,633

Post#358 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 28, 2024 5:30 am

My guess for the final roster is:

Murray/ Nembhard
Shai/ NAW
Brooks/ Dort
RJ/ Wiggins/ Ejim
Olynyk/ Powell/ Edey

5 guys that probably won't be on the team but would be cool if they were:
Mathurin, Sharpe, Boucher, Lyles, Clarke
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#359 » by WaltFrazier » Tue May 28, 2024 12:00 pm

bozothepope wrote:Pacers coach Carlisle said post-game 4 that Nembhard is playing for Canada this summer, and Mathurin won’t be cleared to play but will be around the Canadian team this summer too.

Read on Twitter
?s=46

I hope he's right about Nembhard and not just assuming. Maybe this puts pressure on Barret Sr to name him. And his play in the playoffs certainly merits it.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#360 » by arbsn » Tue May 28, 2024 7:45 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:My guess for the final roster is:

Murray/ Nembhard
Shai/ NAW
Brooks/ Dort
RJ/ Wiggins/ Ejim
Olynyk/ Powell/ Edey

5 guys that probably won't be on the team but would be cool if they were:
Mathurin, Sharpe, Boucher, Lyles, Clarke

Pretty much nailed it.

Only changes I can see are Murray (injuries) Wiggins (not interested), Ejim (not good enough), Edey (NBA rookie may have other commitments)
Three replacements could be Cojo (vet/ball handler), Brissett (wing/forward) and Tristan Thompson (Size/rebounding)

Return to Toronto Raptors