ImageImageImageImageImage

What to do with Bruce?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,706

Re: What to do with Bruce? 

Post#41 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Brown’s cap space is more valuable than his contract. Just let him go.

Raptors should be looking to take distressed contract(s) or serve as luxury tax team(s) dumping ground with their cap space for draft picks.

That's exactly what you would be looking to do by trading brown no?

For Toronto, yes. For the receiving team, no.

To trade Brown you need to pick up his $23m option. Any team acquiring Brown then has to pay him $23m.

If you drop Brown, then you can take $23m into cap space and the trade partner doesn’t have to take back anything.

That is why I think Brown’s cap space is more valuable than Brown’s contract.

The flipside is that that team gets to shed future salary while "in theory" getting back a productive player like brown who will fill a need for the acquiring team. Either option is plausible.

Have you taken into account the other teams with capspsce who could also weaponize their space for assets as well

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,990

Post#42 » by Merit » Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am

will wrote:I'm still stunned that it was Bruce Brown all along!!!!

All this time, Blake Griffin was catching all the flack, and he just took all the crap.

What planet are you on?
I believe in Masai.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,510

Post#43 » by Tor_Raps » Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am

There is no debate that you pick up Brown's option. There were many teams interested in him at the deadline but Masai did Masai things and just held onto him.

The smart and common sense move would have been to take the Fournier + 2024 Knicks 1st Rounder, which would have given us a pick + cap space this offseason. Now we'll look to trade him for whatever asset we can get but with no benefit of any cap space since it'll all go to Barnes's max extension next summer.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#44 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 am

Brown's value is very simple: Do you want to...
A) Turn a bad contract/player into a proven contributor on a playoff rotation (Hunter, Collins, Ball, etc.)?

B) Pay a cheaper rookie salary than the one you would drafting from where you currently are or are fine with sending a protected 2025 1st?

If so, you're a BB team! It's not hard to envision a team trading for him or even the Raptors trading out of this draft again if they get an offer they like over drafting, say, Collier.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,995
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#45 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 am

Merit wrote:
will wrote:I'm still stunned that it was Bruce Brown all along!!!!

All this time, Blake Griffin was catching all the flack, and he just took all the crap.

What planet are you on?

Just google Bruce Brown Blake Griffin.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Merit » Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 am

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Bruce for PG seems possible.

For a PG or for the PG aka Paul George
I believe in Masai.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#47 » by agkagk » Mon May 13, 2024 1:06 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
agkagk wrote:19 + bruce + boucher for wiggins + moody.

Podz replaced moody, 19 replaces moody. bruce is well slotted as kumingas backup and mentor. boucher is a perfect fit off the bench in san fran. Warriors save tax dollars…. maybe? Lol

Let wiggins hit corner threes and defend p.o.a and leave him alone lol

Rj quick wiggins barnes jakub

Dick/moody - veteran pg - acbaji/moody - kelly - rim runner

Thats a top 6 team

Rj and barnes are legit.

Surround them and the kids with winning veterans. Wiggins, jakub, kelly and a veteran pg would be excellent.

Lets go.

I really like that value for both teams. But I really don’t know about the direction for Toronto.

Are we really trying to get a 11-15 pick next year? That’s where we’d be, most likely. Smells like mediocrity.

No were trying to win a title in 3 - 5 years.

This is a playoff team. Top 6 or bust
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#48 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 am

Merit wrote:

LA wont pay him, he wants max. He's also friends with Barnes iirc.
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#49 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 1:15 am

agkagk wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:
agkagk wrote:19 + bruce + boucher for wiggins + moody.

Podz replaced moody, 19 replaces moody. bruce is well slotted as kumingas backup and mentor. boucher is a perfect fit off the bench in san fran. Warriors save tax dollars…. maybe? Lol

Let wiggins hit corner threes and defend p.o.a and leave him alone lol

Rj quick wiggins barnes jakub

Dick/moody - veteran pg - acbaji/moody - kelly - rim runner

Thats a top 6 team

Rj and barnes are legit.

Surround them and the kids with winning veterans. Wiggins, jakub, kelly and a veteran pg would be excellent.

Lets go.

I really like that value for both teams. But I really don’t know about the direction for Toronto.

Are we really trying to get a 11-15 pick next year? That’s where we’d be, most likely. Smells like mediocrity.

No were trying to win a title in 3 - 5 years.

This is a ployoff team. Top 6 or bust

I know you are trolling :lol:
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,908

Post#50 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon May 13, 2024 1:21 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
That's exactly what you would be looking to do by trading brown no?

For Toronto, yes. For the receiving team, no.

To trade Brown you need to pick up his $23m option. Any team acquiring Brown then has to pay him $23m.

If you drop Brown, then you can take $23m into cap space and the trade partner doesn’t have to take back anything.

That is why I think Brown’s cap space is more valuable than Brown’s contract.

The flipside is that that team gets to shed future salary while "in theory" getting back a productive player like brown who will fill a need for the acquiring team. Either option is plausible.

Have you taken into account the other teams with capspsce who could also weaponize their space for assets as well

Detroit, Philly, SAS, Utah, OKC, Orlando are the competition
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,916

Post#51 » by Thaddy » Mon May 13, 2024 1:23 am

The front office should tank but did we really use all of Scotties rookie contract putting together a half effort retool?

The sensible move would be to have another tank year that actually results in a high lottery pick. Then at the very least you have Barnes, Dick, and another lottery pick that could be top 5 in all of their classes.

Poeltl, Brown, and Boucher don't have high trade values. We are going to be facing an uphill battle looking to get more than late picks for these guys. For Bruce and Chris I would guess we would need to tank on salary helping a team get out of tax.

My best guess would be that we keep Poeltl and we use Brown and Boucher to help a team in a financial bind. Brown and Boucher is a combined 30M+ in space we can set someone up with.

Bad random idea:
Wiggins + Moody + whatever picks they have left.

Poeltl - Olynyk
Wiggins - Agbaji
Barnes - Dick
Barrett - Trent
Quickely - Barnes

My guess is they try something like that, if it leads to winning it will increase the value of guys like Barrett, Wiggins, and our role players. Then we have more trade power. They will likely still draft projects, we don't need immediate contributors and if the retool doesn't work they will probably blow things up even further with a Poeltl trade?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,706

Post#52 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:43 am

Brown to NY for Bongdonovic + Mil 25 pick

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Merit
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Merit » Mon May 13, 2024 1:56 am

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Merit wrote:

LA wont pay him, he wants max. He's also friends with Barnes iirc.

Oh I’d love for that to happen. He’d be the #1 option and everything can click.
I believe in Masai.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,627

Post#54 » by Scase » Mon May 13, 2024 2:05 am

Tor_Raps wrote:There is no debate that you pick up Brown's option. There were many teams interested in him at the deadline but Masai did Masai things and just held onto him.

The smart and common sense move would have been to take the Fournier + 2024 Knicks 1st Rounder, which would have given us a pick + cap space this offseason. Now we'll look to trade him for whatever asset we can get but with no benefit of any cap space since it'll all go to Barnes's max extension next summer.

The problem is, there is nothing to say that Masai wont just Masai again and hold onto him. "He's a great veteran presence" and then signs him for a stupid contract (with a PO) that costs us a pick to move in the future.

I have zero faith in this FO to not just get fleeced on trades anymore. A singular biased OG trade is not going to erase the last few years of mismanagement.
Props TZ!
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,467

Post#55 » by KrazyP » Mon May 13, 2024 3:05 am

Bruce Brown's team option date is June 29. His contract in itself is somewhat valuable because he can be traded prior to free agency to a team trying to clear immediate cap space for free agency or a team just looking to get under the luxury tax aprons.

The Raps should obviously be trying to leverage this situation and explore trade options to get a contract back that they can trade in the future + 1st round pick (if possible).

Trades like this have happenned in the past but looking up and down various teams situations heading into the offseason, there doesnt seem to be much out there at the moment.

People have suggested Wiggins but that is not ideal because (1) his offensive play style wouldn't mesh well with the rest of the roster and (2) the duration of his contract would handicap the team in the coming years (ideally you want a contract back that is 1-2 yrs tops).

Clippers - Norman Powell? ---- They have been haggling with Paul George about a max contract. If they can clear Powell's salary, maybe giving into Georges contract demands becomes more palatable? Norm could be a decent stop gap for the Raps to replace Trent and his contract can be dealt as an expiring after next season. I dont believe the Clippers have any 1st to give up so this becomes a bit of a lateral move.

Spurs - Devonte Graham? --- Clearing Graham's contract would put the Spurs in a nice position to make a big splash in the trade market using cap space + picks ( for Ingram?). I doubt the Spurs give up one of their 1sts to do a Brown for Graham swap but maybe the Raps could get their 2nd which could potentially have late 1st round pick type value next year.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#56 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 13, 2024 4:41 am

KrazyP wrote:Bruce Brown's team option date is June 29. His contract in itself is somewhat valuable because he can be traded prior to free agency to a team trying to clear immediate cap space for free agency or a team just looking to get under the luxury tax aprons.

The Raps should obviously be trying to leverage this situation and explore trade options to get a contract back that they can trade in the future + 1st round pick (if possible).

This is misleading; Brown's option needs to be picked up for us to trade him. You can't trade him then having the receiving team decline the option.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,418

Post#57 » by JB7 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 am

CazOnReal wrote:
KrazyP wrote:Bruce Brown's team option date is June 29. His contract in itself is somewhat valuable because he can be traded prior to free agency to a team trying to clear immediate cap space for free agency or a team just looking to get under the luxury tax aprons.

This is misleading; Brown's option needs to be picked up for us to trade him. You can't trade him then having the receiving team decline the option.

So the cap space the Raps could create by not picking up his option is what could be valuable, because if a team like GSW, wanted to dump salary, Raps could then absorb it into that space, presuming they also waive GTJ.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,340

Post#58 » by Shakril » Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm

Bruce has not much value so i dont know what even to get for him that helps the raps. And cause some mention Poeltl, it only makes sense if you get at least 2 FRP or something equal in Value. If you dont it just makes the team worse for no reason at all.
will
RealGM

Post#59 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 pm

Shakril wrote:Bruce has not much value so i dont know what even to get for him that helps the raps. And cause some mention Poeltl, it only makes sense if you get at least 2 FRP or something equal in Value. If you dont it just makes the team worse for no reason at all.

Seems like Denver is missing him. He would fit in very well with Denver.

He's a good player with shooters around. A shame the Raps don't have much of that right now. It's a weird fit with Brown and the Raptors.
earth007
Junior
And1: 605

Post#60 » by earth007 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 pm

Trade him with another 1st round pick to get a "top 10 center". :D

Return to Toronto Raptors