ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,443

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1461 » by Asif16 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:12 pm

I don't trust any mock ups and analysis over the draft anymore. I was so high on Scoot Henderson last year, wow what a bust he turned out to be.

Scoot has single-handedly made me believe that the draft pick is practically gambling.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,659

Post#1462 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:30 pm

Asif16 wrote:I don't trust any mock ups and analysis over the draft anymore. I was so high on Scoot Henderson last year, wow what a bust he turned out to be.

Scoot has single-handedly made me believe that the draft pick is practically gambling.

Scoot will be fine, anyone giving up on him already is going to regret it
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,312

Post#1463 » by Dalek » Wed May 1, 2024 8:35 pm

Asif16 wrote:I don't trust any mock ups and analysis over the draft anymore. I was so high on Scoot Henderson last year, wow what a bust he turned out to be.

How can you call Scoot a bust after one season? Post all-star Henderson averaged 16 points / 7 assists/ 3.5 boards and shot 45/35/82. I think it is just too early to call.

What I will say is the G-League is an utter failure on how to teach defense and prepare players for the NBA. Scoot was so far behind because of the G-League and I am glad they are removing that Ignite option for future prospects.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,217

Post#1464 » by Mark_83 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:41 pm

I think he'll be fine but I was the low man on him on this board. I think I had him between 4-6 on my board.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1465 » by Psubs » Wed May 1, 2024 9:08 pm

Mark_83 wrote:

I think he'll be fine but I was the low man on him on this board. I think I had him between 4-6 on my board.

I had Cason Wallace ahead of Scoot based on defense and shooting. Scoot may take a few years to hit his stride like Jalen Brunson, but at least he played better later in the year. Maybe Collier is like Scoot 2.0?
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1466 » by Psubs » Wed May 1, 2024 9:25 pm

MainEvent wrote:These guys who watched the nike hoop summit practices and game don't sound too impressed with what they saw from Chomche
@9min

Super raw but very toolsy, so #31 is a good pick.

Maluach being more raw he'll be spending a year at Duke. Maybe he plays like Clingan and get picked 5-10.

Won't be able to draft Bailey, Dybansta, Harper, Maluach, Traore, Flagg, etc. :(
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,738

Post#1467 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 1, 2024 9:43 pm

Psubs wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:

I had Cason Wallace ahead of Scoot based on defense and shooting. Scoot may take a few years to hit his stride like Jalen Brunson, but at least he played better later in the year. Maybe Collier is like Scoot 2.0?

I could see Collier and Scoot being grouped together because what you're probably realistically hoping for there is a sort of John Wall type who runs the O, gets to 8-9 assists a game, doesn't get roasted on D and fits well with a team of finishers but not so much with ball dominant types, so like Miami at 15 makes some sense for Collier with him and Bam doing a lot of on ball stuff as Butler probably drops a gear - and his playoff usage goes down from 29 to his regular season 24-25 range - and the other guys mostly asked to hit 3s. Basically Ja Morant (since his TS is normally just under league average) but not quite as good at finishing at the rim, which is what probably makes him a 2nd option on a serious championship contender (or even 1st if you somehow get a Pistons 2004 type team and Bane and JJJ and now their cheap wings give them a chance if they can find another quality frontcourt starter presumably via trade).

Definitely a player type whose value has dropped as the game has changed, but not without use, particularly in the regular season.
Where's the D?
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 514

Post#1468 » by CazOnReal » Wed May 1, 2024 10:43 pm

Chomche is definitely a "buy" at 31 when you factor in him playing the backup C role to Poeltl (unless we trade Jakob) and thus not being left out to dry so he can be eased in to the league. Very high ceiling player with a lot to like as a prospect and his defense will help keep him on the floor but he is probably too raw to start short of injuries. People will compare him to Koloko but he's got a better eye for passing than he did and his jumper is a lot nicer. I can see him becoming a more athletic Marc Gasol i.e. a stretch 5 with some playmaking chops and suffocating defense just as easily as I could see him being out of the league at the end of his "rookie" deal.

Call it a difference in philosophy but when it comes to 2nd round selections, i'm more willing to take a flier on a high ceiling/low floor prospect who's raw but otherwise shows a lot of promise when we're still at least 2 years away from being a playoff team and thus it doesn't make sense to go with a more established player who can contribute now.

At 19? Yeah no, just get Missi or Ware if you're set on getting a big man, Dunn if you want a defensive wing, Collier if you want a backup PG, etc. That is an astronomical reach and frankly, you'd be better off trying to trade up/down to get another pick if you're worried someone else will take Ulrich before 31.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,493

Post#1469 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:53 pm

CazOnReal wrote:Chomche is definitely a "buy" at 31 when you factor in him playing the backup C role to Poeltl (unless we trade Jakob) and thus not being left out to dry so he can be eased in to the league. Very high ceiling player with a lot to like as a prospect and his defense will help keep him on the floor but he is probably too raw to start short of injuries. People will compare him to Koloko but he's got a better eye for passing than he did and his jumper is a lot nicer. I can see him becoming a more athletic Marc Gasol i.e. a stretch 5 with some playmaking chops and suffocating defense just as easily as I could see him being out of the league at the end of his "rookie" deal.

Call it a difference in philosophy but when it comes to 2nd round selections, i'm more willing to take a flier on a high ceiling/low floor prospect who's raw but otherwise shows a lot of promise when we're still at least 2 years away from being a playoff team and thus it doesn't make sense to go with a more established player who can contribute now.

At 19? Yeah no, just get Missi or Ware if you're set on getting a big man, Dunn if you want a defensive wing, Collier if you want a backup PG, etc. That is an astronomical reach and frankly, you'd be better off trying to trade up/down to get another pick if you're worried someone else will take Ulrich before 31.

Agreed. I cannot rationalize spending a pick on Chomche. So many better guys available
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#1470 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed May 1, 2024 11:56 pm

I don't really know what position Castle is going to play, but I think he's going to be a solid NBA player
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,162

Post#1471 » by PoundTown » Thu May 2, 2024 12:17 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:I don't really know what position Castle is going to play, but I think he's going to be a solid NBA player

He’s a 2 guard through and through in my opinion.

Dudes I’d like at Indy pick are Keyshawn george, Devin Carter, furphy or jaylen Tyson. Also, intrigued by collier.

Guys I’d like at 31 are the aforementioned if they fell, along with sears and salis. Can’t really comment on this chomche dude, other than he’s got some great physical tools but no idea on his feel for the game; some are saying he’s pretty raw.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 218

Post#1472 » by RoteSchroder » Thu May 2, 2024 1:14 am

PoundTown wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:I don't really know what position Castle is going to play, but I think he's going to be a solid NBA player

He’s a 2 guard through and through in my opinion.

Dudes I’d like at Indy pick are Keyshawn george, Devin Carter, furphy or jaylen Tyson. Also, intrigued by collier.

Guys I’d like at 31 are the aforementioned if they fell, along with sears and salis. Can’t really comment on this chomche dude, other than he’s got some great physical tools but no idea on his feel for the game; some are saying he’s pretty raw.

Sears drives seem funky, it looks like he tends to lean forward then straighten up his body multiple times in a single drive. I wonder if it messes with his balance.

Not a fan of drafting someone overly raw. Chomche isn’t exactly a 7 footer or super long, by the time he learns the game in 8 years, his athleticism will wane and his athletic advantage will be negated. Not to mention, we’ve dropped a lot of players who were still learning the game (e.g. Bruno/Dalano). No one will stomach an 8 year project just to end up with a role player.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,731

Post#1473 » by Yallbecrazy » Thu May 2, 2024 1:28 am

What teams project to be in the repeat tax that have 1st rounders to be traded away? Are there any articles about the teams with cap space to absorb these contracts? I think we might be able to get some pretty good players and/or 2025 picks by just having cap space.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,675

Post#1474 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu May 2, 2024 1:36 am

Thinking about it more, Ware might be a sleeper pick. The guys that fall because of attitude or effort have tended to outplay their draft position looking at Jalen Johnson, GG and Whitmore. The talent is clearly there
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1475 » by Psubs » Thu May 2, 2024 1:38 am

Yallbecrazy wrote:What teams project to be in the repeat tax that have 1st rounders to be traded away? Are there any articles about the teams with cap space to absorb these contracts? I think we might be able to get some pretty good players and/or 2025 picks by just having cap space.

We picked up a 1st pick from New Orleans from taking on Kira Lewis and his $5 milion expiring, which we flipped in the Olynyk/Agbaji trade. Many teams have cap space in the summer for trades, but in-season trades teams might want to get under the tax.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst

Post#1476 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu May 2, 2024 1:46 am

I’m also here to double down that Reed Sheppard is going to be the best guard in this draft. The advanced stats and raw numbers can’t all be lying and the eye test is solid
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,675

Post#1477 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 2, 2024 1:49 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I’m also here to double down that Reed Sheppard is going to be the best guard in this draft. The advanced stats and raw numbers can’t all be lying and the eye test is solid

and he plays with FK U disposition, just goes after ppl on both ends
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst

Post#1478 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu May 2, 2024 1:50 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I’m also here to double down that Reed Sheppard is going to be the best guard in this draft. The advanced stats and raw numbers can’t all be lying and the eye test is solid

and he plays with FK U disposition, just goes after ppl on both ends

If he ends up on the Spurs that Wemby - Reed duo will be nasty. I see Rob is trying to lobby himself over there but Reed is a better fit. Imagine if they get our pick they can do a Castle and Reed pickup
MainEvent
Veteran
And1: 2,337

Post#1479 » by MainEvent » Thu May 2, 2024 1:51 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Thinking about it more, Ware might be a sleeper pick. The guys that fall because of attitude or effort have tended to outplay their draft position looking at Jalen Johnson, GG and Whitmore. The talent is clearly there

and i thought he changed that narrative this year in Indi as well?
really athletic legit 7 footer. Plays above the rim, can block shots and be a lob threat. + he was scoring in the post and has potential from NBA 3 point range
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,731

Post#1480 » by Yallbecrazy » Thu May 2, 2024 1:55 am

Oddly I was super high on Podziemski last year, but am intrigued and not sold on Sheppard this year. With Podz I saw a guy who was getting the Curry treatment by lesser opponents as opposed to a guy who was surrounded by shooters and knew how to work with spacing. Podz also had the insane rebounding numbers which I love in guards that Sheppard does not (he's not bad).

Podz had more compete in him and was a better creator and playmaker where I see more roadblocks for Sheppard in becoming a star guard. I think that if Podz can improve his ball handling significantly he has legit all star point guard potential. Sheppard's ball handling is behind Podz despite having played basketball his whole life where Podz started ~6 years ago, he's also behind him in terms of his vision. Sheppard is more fundamentally sound and polished as a player, but I don't see him becoming a top point guard without significantly improving multiple skills.

Return to Toronto Raptors