Oden vs Jordan

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Oden vs Jordan 

Post#1 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:30 am

This is not a player comparison, but I am curious where you see DeAndre Jordan compared to Oden. Both were considered athletic 7ft players that were freshman in college and top-3 picks.

Could anyone offer a good comparison? Where is Jordan lacking?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:35 am

Jordan is far more raw at this point than Oden was. Oden had NBA skills, especially on defense and an NBA body. Jordan has nice athleticism and is very fluid, but needs to add post moves and needs to get much stronger. Jordan reminds me a lot of Dwight Howard when he was in high school, though it remains to be seen if he can bulk up like Dwight.
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#3 » by wilt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Oden was a go-to player on a Team that reached the championship game, Jordan is a rotation player on a good team.
Oden in his Freshmen year was simply further along in terms of development in all areas of the game.
Right now i

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#4 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:06 pm

wilt wrote:Oden was a go-to player on a Team that reached the championship game, Jordan is a rotation player on a good team.
Oden in his Freshmen year was simply further along in terms of development in all areas of the game.
Right now i
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#5 » by wilt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:18 pm

I wasn

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#6 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Oden's offense was hurt last year with his wrist injury also.

Team structures and offense for big guys at the college level is tough. Hibbert is getting 12 or so but it is because they chuck a lot of 3's and slow it down.
ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#7 » by ISB » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Best case scenario for Jordan is a career path similar to Bynum. He is very raw.

Btw, did anyone else expect this to be a thread talking about how Oden will be a better overall player than MJ? lol
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 pm

^^see I am worried about the Bynum thoughts because as a 17yr old in high school Bynum was considered to be incredibly strong. Where as Jordan still needs to work on that.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by hcsilla » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:42 pm

revprodeji wrote:^^see I am worried about the Bynum thoughts because as a 17yr old in high school Bynum was considered to be incredibly strong.

Which he was not.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by revprodeji » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 am

Strengths: A HUGE physical presence. Andrew is the biggest and strongest high school center to arrive in some time.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/andrewbynum.asp
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#11 » by hcsilla » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 am

Yes, a huge phisical presence in high school.

I don't think that he was stronger than Jordan is now. Their body-types are very similar, IMO.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#12 » by DanTown8587 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:43 am

Jordan and Bynum are very similar for their age and if i was Jordan, I would stay for another year, develop a jump shot and go to post move, and be a better pro. If he waits a year, he will ame more money, have more fun, and probably be a better player.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#13 » by Goldbum » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:10 am

^^^I disagree 1 more year will expose more of his flaws and tarnish his "potential". Right now he is a darkhorse for #1 overall if he stays another year and doesn't dominate as a sophmore his stock will plummet. See McRoberts, Josh.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,309

Post#14 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:05 am

If DeAndre Jordan is taken with the number 1 selection, I will be astonished......

It does not matter if it is simply for potential, I just cannot see something like this happening. Jordan is a lottery pick, but top 5 is a huge stretch for me this year. I cannot see him going number 1 next year either.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,054

Post#15 » by DBurks2818 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he went #3 or so. I bet everyone wants their own "Bynum" and is willing to take a risk there.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#16 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:19 am

jman3134 wrote:If DeAndre Jordan is taken with the number 1 selection, I will be astonished......

It does not matter if it is simply for potential, I just cannot see something like this happening. Jordan is a lottery pick, but top 5 is a huge stretch for me this year. I cannot see him going number 1 next year either.

You would be astonished if a super athletic 7 footer went #1? Why exactly? Jordan is exactly the kind of player who always goes #1. I see no players right now that I would take over Jordan. Rose is a PG with skills but lacks a jumper and PG's at #1 is rare. Beasley is a better player, but lacks Jordan's upside and is a bit of a headcase. Jordan = Dwight howard in high school. That enough is reason to take him #1.
TyGibson
Junior
And1: 1

Post#17 » by TyGibson » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That is not true. Oden was far from the go to player on offense most of the time. That team chucked up 3's first and passed to Oden second. Oden and Jordan's impact on their teams offenses is relatively simular.

This is the correct answer. These two players are much more similar than people realize and I could see Jordan go number one if Minnesota, Seattle or Miami gets the first.

The differences in their game appear to be that Jordan is a bit more impulsive on D, a bit more athletic than Oden (it's only an observation, so no bricks) and a worse free throw shooter.

I envision Oden and Jordan both being leaders in shot blocks, but Oden being a better on the ball shot blocker and Jordan being stronger off the weak side. I also feel that in their first season, Jordan will score more and Oden will rebound better. However, the free throw differential might push Oden above Jordan.

It will be interesting that both players will be competing against each other for rookie of the year honors.
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#18 » by DaGoodz » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Oden averaged 16 ppg with a bad left wrist for most of the year and averaged 3 bpg.
While Jordan is averaging 10 ppg and 1 bpg. And people are saying they are very similar? :crazy:

Oden was more developed on both the offense and defensive end, who knows how many points he would of averaged with a good wrist the whole season. Deandre has potential, but he isn't in Oden's league. Let me see Deandre help Texas A&M get to the Final Four first before I say they are similar
ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#19 » by ISB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:48 pm

I think Jordan is a lot less of a sure thing that Oden. Oden was pretty much a bigger Emeka Okafor at the absolute worst. Jordan has a much larger chance of being the next Tyson Chandler.

thats not to say that he WILL be a bust, just that he a lot of growing that needs to happen before he is a legit NBA player.

Remember that it took several years (and still hasn't necessarily happened yet) to get anyone other than Laker's management sold on Bynum. Expect something similar for Jordan.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#20 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm

DaGoodz wrote:Oden averaged 16 ppg with a bad left wrist for most of the year and averaged 3 bpg.
While Jordan is averaging 10 ppg and 1 bpg. And people are saying they are very similar? :crazy:

Oden was more developed on both the offense and defensive end, who knows how many points he would of averaged with a good wrist the whole season. Deandre has potential, but he isn't in Oden's league. Let me see Deandre help Texas A&M get to the Final Four first before I say they are similar

I never said they were simular prospect, nor did I intend to imply it. All I said was that they had simular impacts on their team and Oden as this go to guy for OSU is revisionist history. Oden is clearly the better prospect.

Return to NBA Draft