Anthony Black - Arkansas

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

crows2
Senior
And1: 566

Re: Anthony Black - Arkansas 

Post#241 » by crows2 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:54 pm

76ciology wrote:AB is still young, and we dont know how much he’s gonna improve in the future. Maybe he becomes the next Luka Doncic. Nobody knows. But as of right now, it’s not looking good for him. He can’t create or shoot at the G position, which is a red flag since day 1.

It’s too early to tell with Black (or any rookie). I’m extremely confident in proclaiming he won’t be the next Luka though :lol:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#242 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:25 am

76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
76ciology wrote:
The previous 3 guys who replied before you got what I mean, and those replies could have helped you understand what my question means.
Okay. Yes, Fultz starts at PG, and Cole is the backup. Usually, 19 year old rookies aren't very effective, and we're trying to win. Players like Miller, Thompsons, and Chet are all one year older and the same age as Paolo. I expect that after 1 year, Black will be in the rotation. If one of the guards goes down this season, he's be the next player up.

These are all pretty obvious observations.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Wont Suggs be the guy who’s gonna be next in line?

I dont buy into the G depth.

Because Fultz, Cole and Suggs have holes to their game. They wont start at G position in most teams in the league. Its not hard to start over 1 of them. Marcus Sasser has a pretty good chance of starting over one of them.

AB is still young, and we dont know how much he’s gonna improve in the future. Maybe he becomes the next Luka Doncic. Nobody knows. But as of right now, it’s not looking good for him. He can’t create or shoot at the G position, which is a red flag since day 1.

Im not a magic hater, I was a big fan of Fultz before and still support him until now (if he’s healthy he can be better than Tatum. But that shoulder looks really broken). And I was the biggest Franz supporter in our board before he got drafted.

It’s just i’ve seen this movie before. Once he gets playing time there will be the “next jason kidd” comparison. Or comparing to great players of past era where the skillset required was different from today. Maybe he turns it around like Lonzo prior to the injury. But again, as of now, he’s starting from a bad position.

I like Jett Howard though and I wouldnt mind him selected at Black’s slot in the draft
Black has all defensive team potential, and he's a great passer. Black is light years ahead of Suggs at PG, and he has a better shooting touch.

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#243 » by Braggins » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:38 pm

76ciology wrote:Wont Suggs be the guy who’s gonna be next in line?

Suggs already starts. Fultz was out with knee soreness yesterday and AB got 16 minutes as part of the rotation. He finished with 9 pts 3 reb 1 ast 2 stl on 4/4 shooting.

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#244 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:24 pm

Black is just such a high IQ player. you combine that with excellent size, athleticism and effort - i'm not really sure how this guy fails.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,238

Post#245 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:50 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:Black is just such a high IQ player. you combine that with excellent size, athleticism and effort - i'm not really sure how this guy fails.

He fails if he can’t shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#246 » by Catchall » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:15 am

EvanZ wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:Black is just such a high IQ player. you combine that with excellent size, athleticism and effort - i'm not really sure how this guy fails.

Or, he remains an off-ball cutter like a Bruce Brown type.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,296

Post#247 » by Colbinii » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:38 am

EvanZ wrote:

I'd like to get a little more out of 6th pick but his floor is still quite high.

I don't see him as having worse shooting potential than Josh Giddey, for example.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#248 » by Colbinii » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:39 am

Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Larger and Better Passing Bruce Brown

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#249 » by EvanZ » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:05 pm

Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

No. Bruce Brown shoots just enough. Also AB isn't as athletic as BB or GPII, for example (who also shoots just enough to make it in the league, or at least, on the one team that figured out how to use him correctly).
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#250 » by EvanZ » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:06 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:He fails if he can’t shoot.

Larger and Better Passing Bruce Brown

Not really. AB is not the athlete BB is. He's arguably not even the athlete Lonzo is (or was). AB is like the 4th Ball brother. He really needs to shoot. As is the case for basically 95% of NBA wings/guards.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#251 » by EvanZ » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:10 pm

Giddey is eventually going to be a playoff liability if he can't shoot. It's inevitable. People are still in a honey moon phase with him.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#252 » by Colbinii » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:26 pm

EvanZ wrote:Giddey is eventually going to be a playoff liability if he can't shoot. It's inevitable. People are still in a honey moon phase with him.

I don't think everyone is in a honey moon phase with Giddey--and I am certainly not.

OKC fans think im crazy on the T&T Board for how I evaluate Giddey.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,377

Post#253 » by CptCrunch » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:08 pm

Black needs trial by fire. Slow playing off the bench isn't good for him.

I would argue he needs the keys to a team's offense. Unlimited reps and unlimited shots. No way this kid is worse than Cade Cunningham **** 6 turnovers a game.

Reminder I have/had Black as my #2 player this year pre-draft (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2291507). I'm ready to die on this mole hill.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#254 » by ItsDanger » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:01 pm

Anthony Black would have been a top program college WR, to say he isn't that athletic is just false.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#255 » by Catchall » Sat Nov 4, 2023 8:59 pm

CptCrunch wrote:Black needs trial by fire. Slow playing off the bench isn't good for him.

I would argue he needs the keys to a team's offense. Unlimited reps and unlimited shots. No way this kid is worse than Cade Cunningham **** 6 turnovers a game.

Reminder I have/had Black as my #2 player this year pre-draft (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2291507). I'm ready to die on this mole hill.

His role model should actually be Jason Kidd, imo--e.g., push the ball, pass over the top of the defense, be a threat to drive, hit spot-ups when he's left open, etc. But he'd need to be a fantastic floor general to make up for his ho-hum shooting.

....Of course, the counter-argument is that the same could have been said for Michael Carter-Williams, and that even some of the best playmaking guards, like say Ricky Rubio, couldn't overcome the lack of shooting. So, I'd have to agree that his future depends upon whether he's enough of a shooting threat for defenses to take him seriously.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#256 » by basketballRob » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:22 am

EvanZ wrote:

Look at the players who went ahead of him. Scoot and the Thompson Twins are combined like 3-60 from 3.

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,377

Post#257 » by CptCrunch » Sun Nov 5, 2023 1:46 am

11 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl in 30 minutes with a +32 plus minus with exceptional defense in his first start

This follows his 2nd real game 16 minutes against the Jazz.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#258 » by basketballRob » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:30 am

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,275

Post#259 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 5:24 pm

CptCrunch wrote:11 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl in 30 minutes with a +32 plus minus with exceptional defense in his first start

Black will forever be underrated because he's not an explosive scorer but will indisputably be one of the 2-3 most impactful/winning players for this class
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#260 » by Big J » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:56 am

clyde21 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:11 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl in 30 minutes with a +32 plus minus with exceptional defense in his first start

Black will forever be underrated because he's not an explosive scorer but will indisputably be one of the 2-3 most impactful/winning players for this class

He's no Scoot though right?

Return to NBA Draft