ImageImage

Trade the Pick???

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Butter
General Manager
And1: 127

Trade the Pick??? 

Post#1 » by Butter » Tue May 7, 2024 3:19 am

Next years draft is reportedly much stronger. If you had the choice, would you trade the Blazers top pick this year for a 1st next year?

They would still have the #14 and two SRP this year.

Two high picks next year could set this franchise up for a deep playoff run for years.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Re: Trade the Pick??? 

Post#2 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue May 7, 2024 3:29 am

No one who will suck badly enough next year would trade an unprotected pick next year for this year’s Blazers’ range of a 1-7 pick AND that’s the only type I’d want. So, no.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 853

Post#3 » by tester551 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:05 am

Butter wrote:Next years draft is reportedly much stronger. If you had the choice, would you trade the Blazers top pick this year for a 1st next year?

Two high picks next year could set this franchise up for a deep playoff run for years.

Id trade GSW pick, but not Portland's
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,775

Post#4 » by Case2012 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:10 am

It depends on what the pick returned. We didn't just suffer through a year of this garbage to kick the can down the road another year. The time to trade the picks was the last 2 years when we had a superstar to build around with the return but that didn't happen. We need to fully commit to the tank for the next 2-3 drafts and get as many picks as we can by trading guys like Ayton (who i really liked the end of the year btw, it's crazy how bad he's underrated especially on the trade board), Brogdon, and Grant. They should all be able to fetch at least one first each with simons i think capable of returning a package like Murray did with SA albeit slightly less. We need as many shots as we can in the draft since that's the cheapest best shot of landing a star(s). This half foot in half foot out crap has been going on for 12 years.
Instagram: @casetwelve
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,243

Post#5 » by monopoman » Tue May 7, 2024 6:43 am

I could see us trading the GSW pick to get out of owing that pick to the Bulls which would allow more trade possibilities and also opens up a pick swap in future years. From what I understand you can't pick swap if you owe a 1st round pick or something, so odds are the Blazers want that pick burden gone.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by tester551 » Tue May 7, 2024 7:11 am

monopoman wrote:I could see us trading the GSW pick to get out of owing that pick to the Bulls which would allow more trade possibilities and also opens up a pick swap in future years. From what I understand you can't pick swap if you owe a 1st round pick or something, so odds are the Blazers want that pick burden gone.

Although that is true, I don't think that is a driving force.

I do like the idea of clearing the obligation to the Bulls though.
IMO, the #14 in this draft is worth less than the #17 or #18 pick that we would give up in '26 or '27.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,243

Post#7 » by monopoman » Tue May 7, 2024 7:51 am

tester551 wrote:
monopoman wrote:I could see us trading the GSW pick to get out of owing that pick to the Bulls which would allow more trade possibilities and also opens up a pick swap in future years. From what I understand you can't pick swap if you owe a 1st round pick or something, so odds are the Blazers want that pick burden gone.

Although that is true, I don't think that is a driving force.

I do like the idea of clearing the obligation to the Bulls though.
IMO, the #14 in this draft is worth less than the #17 or #18 pick that we would give up in '26 or '27.

Yeah it would probably clear before then, though from what I am reading it looks like in 2028 we have a pick swap with the Bucks who might be terrible at that time and the pick might still not have conveyed. The Bulls would demand a lot more to get the pick back if let's say the Bucks have a bottom 4 worst record in the NBA that year.

Meanwhile if we do it now we give up the GSW pick and then can reap the benefits fully of a potentially bad Bucks team in 2028 and later.

After the 2028 season the pick becomes some second round picks which is nice, but yeah that is still four off-seasons after this upcoming one. We might be a playoff team before that point but it's not set in stone at all at this point either.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,924

Post#8 » by cdubbz » Tue May 7, 2024 4:17 pm

tester551 wrote:

Just wondering how you come up with that?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 7, 2024 5:22 pm

Ask me again after the lottery.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by tester551 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:24 pm

cdubbz wrote:
tester551 wrote:

Just wondering how you come up with that?

I feel like this draft is far below average (not JUST at the top). It reminds me of the '13 draft.

When scouting this draft, I have a huge drop off in talent around 8/9. I personally don't like many players in the 12-24 range.

Figuring that IF the '26 or '27 drafts were at least average, that is worth ~5-6 draft slots in value. If either one turns out to be a 'good' draft class, then that's worth ~9-10 draft slots in value.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,952

Post#11 » by JasonStern » Tue May 7, 2024 5:30 pm

Case2012 wrote:We need to fully commit to the tank for the next 2-3 drafts

We're already 3 seasons into tank-a-thon. Draft better and develop the talent on the roster.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#12 » by zzaj » Tue May 7, 2024 6:05 pm

I think the Blazers are going to end up with only two picks in this draft. I think Jabari and Murray are going to be traded as part of other packages.

I disagree that there is a fall-off in this draft. In fact, with how flat it is I see non-lotto picks as highly valued if you factor in contract cost. Afterall, the only real difference between someone like Risarcher and Da Silva (as an example) is perceived upside and contract cost. I don't see a huge talent disparity between #1 and #50. As I've pointed out elsewhere, somebody like Ajay Mitchell could very easily be the best player in this draft.
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#13 » by Walton1one » Tue May 7, 2024 6:27 pm

zzaj wrote:I think the Blazers are going to end up with only two picks in this draft. I think Jabari and Murray are going to be traded as part of other packages.

I disagree that there is a fall-off in this draft. In fact, with how flat it is I see non-lotto picks as highly valued if you factor in contract cost. Afterall, the only real difference between someone like Risarcher and Da Silva (as an example) is perceived upside and contract cost. I don't see a huge talent disparity between #1 and #50. As I've pointed out elsewhere, somebody like Ajay Mitchell could very easily be the best player in this draft.

and age (19 vs 23) and level of competition (euroleague vs college), I think those matter.

I agree with your overall premise though (and I like Da Silva). I disagree with the notion that this draft is weak, it is likely deficient in top end (all star level) talent, but then again no one will know how good\bad it is until a few years down the road. I think there will be some surprise players to come out of this draft, maybe Mitchell is one of them (I know little about him), and I agree there is a value in contract cost as well, as an example:

POR\Jabari Walker is being paid $2mil and averaged 9 & 7 this year, there are a lot of players being paid 5\10x as much averaging the same\lower...
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#14 » by cdubbz » Tue May 7, 2024 6:34 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Case2012 wrote:We need to fully commit to the tank for the next 2-3 drafts

We're already 3 seasons into tank-a-thon. Draft better and develop the talent on the roster.

Year 3 is still extremely early imo. . Blazers drafted Shaedon & Scoot in back to back drafts - worst case scenario both just become solid rotation players. Also don't feel like there is a rush with The next few years belong to the Wolves & Thunder and maybe another team stays close like the Mavs or Kings. Blazers can stay patient and develop the draft picks and then make a push.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#15 » by zzaj » Tue May 7, 2024 6:43 pm

Walton1one wrote:
zzaj wrote:I think the Blazers are going to end up with only two picks in this draft. I think Jabari and Murray are going to be traded as part of other packages.

and age (19 vs 23) and level of competition (euroleague vs college), I think those matter.

I agree with your overall premise though (and I like Da Silva). I disagree with the notion that this draft is weak, it is likely deficient in top end (all star level) talent, but then again no one will know how good\bad it is until a few years down the road. I think there will be some surprise players to come out of this draft, maybe Mitchell is one of them (I know little about him), and I agree there is a value in contract cost as well, as an example:

POR\Jabari Walker is being paid $2mil and averaged 9 & 7 this year, there are a lot of players being paid 5\10x as much averaging the same\lower...

Yep, I agree with your assessment of the "weak"ness of this draft. It doesn't have obvious top-end talent like some years, but it will end up having top-end talent, just like every year. This is why later picks in this draft have more value than in some years, IMHO.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,965
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#16 » by will » Wed May 8, 2024 3:07 pm

It's always amusing to read about people claiming a draft is weak.

Akin to saying that the incorrect lottery ticket was purchased.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,535

Post#17 » by Pattycakes » Wed May 8, 2024 3:24 pm

Butter wrote:Next years draft is reportedly much stronger. If you had the choice, would you trade the Blazers top pick this year for a 1st next year?

No. Let the dish cook. This is what “getting cute” looks like.

I know many don’t trust cronins timeline for this franchise, I personally do.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#18 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:26 pm

I actually would not mind if the GSW somehow ended up with a top 4 pick. There is a 96% chance
on Portland ending up with the 14th pick

That would allow Portland to get their pick (top 1 protected) in the 2025 draft
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#19 » by cdubbz » Wed May 8, 2024 11:58 pm

will wrote:It's always amusing to read about people claiming a draft is weak.

Akin to saying that the incorrect lottery ticket was purchased.

I know i've said it too, but don't mean 'everyone in this draft sucks'. There aren't players who teams would tank for is what I mean and i'm guessing what most people say.
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#20 » by TheDraftGuy » Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 am

will wrote:It's always amusing to read about people claiming a draft is weak.

Agree. It's one thing to say there aren't clear cut #1 picks like in the last several drafts.

But to say that it's a 2000 or 2013 situation, where there is practically no hope? That's just laziness.

In another time and place when international players didn't have as much impact, this might've been true. But just about every draft in the last decade has produced an international All-Star, with two or so international stars every few years (ex. Luka+SGA, Embiid+Jokic, Simmons+Siakam+Sabonis, Wagner-Kuminga-Sengun could be another, maybe Sharpe and Mathurin). That inherently makes drafts deeper.

The way I see it, one or two of the international players of note - Topic, Risacher, Sarr, and Edey - should be it while a few others like Sheppard, Clingan, Castle, Williams, and Holland should be able to claim two to three spots. Maybe one other guy I didn't really fully evaluate like Tyler Smith or Collier that falls outside the lottery, which usually there is one All star found there.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers