ImageImage

DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Re: DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG 

Post#41 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue May 7, 2024 3:56 am

I like Shepperd but not with the top Blazers pick.
At 14 where he’s unlikely (?) to fall? Maybe if Simons and Brogdon are traded.
I’m pretty consistent on saying use both 1st rounders and swing away on both.

I really don’t know enough or have the bball IQ to argue about if they draft Topic even though he’s clearly a PG.
Sarr > Cody Williams > Risacher > Topic > Clingan? = Buzelis = Castle … my preferences in order, so far — prior to measurements.

I’d rather swing for Salaun or Furphy at 14 or even trade up a bit. But, yeah, Shepperd looks good not great. He’s just so unlikely to ascend to being a poor man’s Steph Curry as a combo guard. Mark Price? Maybe and that’s who I think of … and Price is a seriously good pick in any draft. Shepperd hasn’t shown the creativity of a Nash nor the pure PG and toughness of Stockton. IMHO — Scoot will be better. Can Shepperd be somewhat like Price with a career average 50-40-90?
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#42 » by zzaj » Tue May 7, 2024 2:29 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:I like Shepperd but not with the top Blazers pick.
At 14 where he’s unlikely (?) to fall? Maybe if Simons and Brogdon are traded.
I’m pretty consistent on saying use both 1st rounders and swing away on both.

I really don’t know enough or have the bball IQ to argue about if they draft Topic even though he’s clearly a PG.
Sarr > Cody Williams > Risacher > Topic > Clingan? = Buzelis = Castle … my preferences in order, so far — prior to measurements.

I’d rather swing for Salaun or Furphy at 14 or even trade up a bit. But, yeah, Shepperd looks good not great. He’s just so unlikely to ascend to being a poor man’s Steph Curry as a combo guard. Mark Price? Maybe and that’s who I think of … and Price is a seriously good pick in any draft. Shepperd hasn’t shown the creativity of a Nash nor the pure PG and toughness of Stockton. IMHO — Scoot will be better. Can Shepperd be somewhat like Price with a career average 50-40-90?

I heard somebody compare Shepperd to VanVleet, which I think is spot on. IMO, the Blazers don't need a VanVleet.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,952

Post#43 » by JasonStern » Tue May 7, 2024 5:25 pm

Not saying don't draft the best player available, but the Blazers have Brogdon, Simons, Sharpe, and Scoot at the guard position. I'm hoping for a wing or a big man.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#44 » by zzaj » Tue May 7, 2024 5:59 pm

JasonStern wrote:Not saying don't draft the best player available, but the Blazers have Brogdon, Simons, Sharpe, and Scoot at the guard position. I'm hoping for a wing or a big man.

That could change though in an effort to get worse short-term. I can pretty easily imagine a reality where the Blazers keep Scoot/Sharpe/Banton as the guard rotation past this summer. But like you I think the Blazers need better quality depth at SF/PF/C. I also don't want another sub 6'3" guard on the team, unless Schmitz indentifies them as CP3/Ant Edwards type of special...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,928

Post#45 » by cdubbz » Tue May 7, 2024 10:11 pm

JasonStern wrote:Not saying don't draft the best player available, but the Blazers have Brogdon, Simons, Sharpe, and Scoot at the guard position. I'm hoping for a wing or a big man.

To me it's all about accumulating a team of the best players every single draft regardless of position for now at least. Blazers are in no rush to draft for position just yet until they have a solidified starter at a position. If the BPA is a wing like Holland or Buzelis then take them or if Clingan is the guy then take him or if Sheppard shows more potential then take him.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Post#46 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed May 8, 2024 12:43 am

Even when posters disagree on Shepperd or others, what I have read on this board is pretty reasonable. I saw the FVV comparison and for overall quality as a guard, it’s a reasonable comparison. I’m a fan of Shepperd. And I prefer savant passing PGs with crazy instincts and court vision and anticipation … and don’t have any idea how good Topic will be.

The one and only rare quality that Shepperd may have as a pro — that is always in short supply — is as a sniper. Not just as a JJ Redick elite back-up but as a guy who makes a much better Scoot tradable in a couple years.

I’m with others who want to swing away on forwards with size and glimpses of elite “potential.” But as some here also say, the Blazers are not in a position to worry about getting talent at a given position. Just get elite talent.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#47 » by cdubbz » Wed May 8, 2024 1:26 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Even when posters disagree on Shepperd or others, what I have read on this board is pretty reasonable. I saw the FVV comparison and for overall quality as a guard, it’s a reasonable comparison. I’m a fan of Shepperd. And I prefer savant passing PGs with crazy instincts and court vision and anticipation … and don’t have any idea how good Topic will be.

The one and only rare quality that Shepperd may have as a pro — that is always in short supply — is as a sniper. Not just as a JJ Redick elite back-up but as a guy who makes a much better Scoot tradable in a couple years.

I’m with others who want to swing away on forwards with size and glimpses of elite “potential.” But as some here also say, the Blazers are not in a position to worry about getting talent at a given position. Just get elite talent.

Oh man I like & see the FVV comparison. Haven’t heard that one.

For those that don’t like the drafting of a PG when we have a young PG: Look what the Kings were able to do with Fox & Haliburton. I know it’s different since Hali is a tall PG and they could play together, but they still chose BPA and ended up with Sabonis.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#48 » by zzaj » Wed May 8, 2024 7:13 pm

cdubbz wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:Even when posters disagree on Shepperd or others, what I have read on this board is pretty reasonable. I saw the FVV comparison and for overall quality as a guard, it’s a reasonable comparison. I’m a fan of Shepperd. And I prefer savant passing PGs with crazy instincts and court vision and anticipation … and don’t have any idea how good Topic will be.

Oh man I like & see the FVV comparison. Haven’t heard that one.

For those that don’t like the drafting of a PG when we have a young PG: Look what the Kings were able to do with Fox & Haliburton. I know it’s different since Hali is a tall PG and they could play together, but they still chose BPA and ended up with Sabonis.

It's probably worth noting that if Shepperd was 6'5" it would be a different conversation with him too. I think a big deterrent for the Blazers should be small size. The league is certainly trending upward, and the chances of a sub 6'3" guard becoming elite in at least two areas are very, very small given there are tons of them that exist. "Scarcity" counts for something, and I think that the Blazers should certainly weigh that.

All that being said, if they identify one of the 6'3" players as the next Lillard or CP3, then I still say go with talent over fit. Especially given the Blazers' ability to find good guards in recent years.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#49 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:24 pm

There is no such player in this draft that would qualify to be a star
zzaj
General Manager

Post#50 » by zzaj » Wed May 8, 2024 8:10 pm

Norm2953 wrote:There is no such player in this draft that would qualify to be a star

Maybe not right away, but there will be a couple that end up being borderline AS level players and chances are that some will be Franchise players as well. Same as every year.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#51 » by m0ng0 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:15 am

Bpa, I hope its not a point guard, but whatever.
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#52 » by TheDraftGuy » Thu May 9, 2024 10:04 pm

Regarding Sheppard, the Fred Van Fleet comparisons are apt but FVV is much shorter and his defensive chops aren't as up to par with Reed Sheppard's. Additionally, his steals, 3pt%, TS%, and eFG% were never as efficient as Reed's....which Reed is kind of a 'unicorn' of a PG.

Now, I anticipate Reed Sheppard to put up similar stats to FVV but have more impact due to his defense, shooting efficiency, and playmaking. Like to reiterate just how absurd 2.5 steals per game is....that's Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, and John Stockton territory.

As a player, this could make him closer to Chris Paul than FVV. I'm not going to go as far as say he'll reach that level but his impact as a 3pt shooting playmaker should be have a major impact after a year or two of learning an offense.

He probably might end up better than Scoot or Simons due to his impact.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#53 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 10, 2024 6:04 pm

I like some of the SRP prospects at PG and wouldnt be opposed to drafting one as a 3rd stringer to eventually take over from Brogdan.

Kolek and Carter are likely FRPs but I could see either slipping to #33. Nunez is really interesting if we want a sort of traditional ball distributing backup. Shead has a ton of intangibles but I just dislike that 6'1 measure (And think he is closer to 5'11). KJ Simpson is a score first guy but he is a legit 3 level scorer who might be a nice shooting compliment to Scoot long-term.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#54 » by Norm2953 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 pm

zzaj wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:There is no such player in this draft that would qualify to be a star

Maybe not right away, but there will be a couple that end up being borderline AS level players and chances are that some will be Franchise players as well. Same as every year.

It'll be interesting to see how Edey fits at the pro level.

I see him as a part time player, playing 15-18 mpg, that in short stretches on a second unit would be a force
on the court. Going to feast on all those teams who are playing smaller, who don't have a 250 pound big body
to match up with him. I really want Portland to pick him at 14
zzaj
General Manager

Post#55 » by zzaj » Fri May 10, 2024 8:05 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I see him as a part time player, playing 15-18 mpg, that in short stretches on a second unit would be a force
on the court. Going to feast on all those teams who are playing smaller, who don't have a 250 pound big body

Yeah, I'm curious too. He'll have his way with basically whomever guards him. However, if that person on the other end can hit perimeter shots, then it's basically a 2 for 3 trade. Also offenses will force switches on Edey, so that he'll have to defend away from the basket in space. On defense teams know to shut down his right jump hook...NBA teams will be even better at that than UConn. The whole 'force him left and quickly bother him with a secondary defender' will be A LOT more effective in the NBA--he won't be able to pass out of that double team nearly as effectively.

He has some counters to that, but he'll need more. He should be good as a backup C as long as he goes to a team that allows offense to be run through him.

Also, who knows...maybe he's the player who starts the ebb back to a more traditional Center. He's a good enough player to potentially make that happen. A lot of people compare him to Boban, but he's light years ahead of Boban in terms of offensive skill and BBIQ.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#56 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 10, 2024 9:04 pm

I would move 33 and 40 to get into the late 1st round and take a swing on Edey but I am not sold on him being a #14 overall caliber talent. Think he most likely will be a jumpo Enes Kanter - which is a bit, specialty type player that your not ever going to be able to play late in a meaningful game. And for that I am just not sold on taking him before, say, 20 or even 25.
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#57 » by TheDraftGuy » Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It'll be interesting to see how Edey fits at the pro level.

The thing about Edey is that he would excel if given quality guards to space the floor and give him the ball at opportune times while banking on his rebounding to generate more possessions (which would also slow an opposing team down, especially if their bench goes on a run).

That was how he succeeded so well in college. Of course, the problem was that his guards were quality for the college level but up against tougher opponents, they floundered and hindered Edey's ability to showcase and develop other skills like passing or shooting. Therefore, he is forced to just sit there and trade 2s for 3s.

Otherwise, with a jumper - and it's not impossible considering his FT%, Edey could be deadly. Meanwhile, Edey also shows signs of being able to kick out and make simple reads that can net him 3-5 assists, which would be quite useful for a big man.

Naturally, what Edey suffered in college won't be a problem he suffers in Portland since the Blazers do have a plethora of talented guards.

Additionally, if you look at Kevin Pelton's predictions, he tends to get productive big men correct. Hence, in 2014, Nurkic, Embiid, Capella, and Jokic all showed up in his Top 10. Kessler showed up in 22 w/ Chet being #1. Lively in 23. This year? It's Edey and Clingan.

Ideally, Portland drafts Cody Williams to help facilitate playmaking while also spreading the floor open...not just for Edey but also to balance Scoot, as well. That Williams is 74% at the basket, 70% from the baseline, and 40+% at the three means he'll be able to operate as a player who moves in and out....either attacking from three levels or passing in/out to Sharpe, Simons, or Edey. That he can shoot 3s in some capacity means it'll benefit Scoot and Edey, if they're on the floor together, too.

Defensively, he'll be pesky cover to compliment Edey's PnR weaknesses and Simons/Scoot's potential defensive lapses.

If Portland can get those two on draft night, I think they'll really only need to hit one more draft to climb out of the Bottom 5.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#58 » by cdubbz » Sat May 11, 2024 4:46 am

Norm2953 wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I've always loved big centers in the NBA.

Clingan at 5 and Edey at 14 would be hilarious
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,535

Post#59 » by Pattycakes » Sat May 11, 2024 8:12 pm

Holland and Edey are still my guys for this current roster we have.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers