ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#301 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:03 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Indeed no more small guards for if Scoot/Sharpe are the guards moving forward, where would Shepherd
play even if he's the BPA? Team is not dumping Scoot after one season.

Backup PG for Scoot. 30mpg for Scoot and 18-20mpg for Sheppard. Blazers don't need to trade Scoot at all.

Obviously we need to wait for the interviews and workouts, but Reed Sheppard looks a lot sharper then the other guys who look more raw like Buzelis and Holland.

I've been reading Blazer fans harp on a backup PG since the 80's. Team if they end up with a top 5 pick is not going to
dedicate their top 5 pick to a backup player.

One has to think the team will target a front court player that is the best fit for the current roster and assuming
they don't get the top 1-2 pick, will go get that player. There is no consensus #1 pick and some teams might have
Topic as the #1 pick and be open to a trade down
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Post#302 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun May 5, 2024 8:26 pm

While making a smart move combing the Warriors’ pick and a player could be legit good, I hope they swing away on both picks.
At 14 … Furphy was rising then sank back in the rankings. COVID in Australia kept him out just as he was developing but he showed out in the 2nd half of the season at Kansas. He’s a dude with tools. Salaun has shown potential that isn’t yet ready AND a serious motor as a modern day PF. Dude is built and young. Both look to have higher ceilings than any Blazers forward not named Grant.

I get the shooting, hands and BBall IQ of Shepperd. Without an Ant trade, it makes no sense. Camara, Danton, and Rupert can fill the back-up SG minutes just fine. 4 is high. Topic withe pick means Schmitz is confident. If that happens, I won’t argue. I’ll pray and hope. Castle would need to be a serious combo guard with Simons gone. Again, Schmitz would need to be THAT confident.

This is THE draft where forwards to “swing away” on should be there at both picks … and Sarr of course. Hit and get the praise. No other alternative. The only way I’m happy with Clingan is if Ayton is traded for other positional needs and better D.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#303 » by soobias » Sun May 5, 2024 10:05 pm

i don't know too much about any player in the draft, but if both picks are good picks i hope to come away with this off season with some helpful pieces.
also is there any point forwards out there ?
i wouldn't mind having one to take some of the play making duties off the guards since they're more of scoring guards.
i think that's been one of the blazers problems since batum left and batum wasn't as aggressive as i would've liked but i would still like to see someone fill that void.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,924

Post#304 » by cdubbz » Sun May 5, 2024 11:56 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Indeed no more small guards for if Scoot/Sharpe are the guards moving forward, where would Shepherd
play even if he's the BPA? Team is not dumping Scoot after one season.

Backup PG for Scoot. 30mpg for Scoot and 18-20mpg for Sheppard. Blazers don't need to trade Scoot at all.

Obviously we need to wait for the interviews and workouts, but Reed Sheppard looks a lot sharper then the other guys who look more raw like Buzelis and Holland.

I've been reading Blazer fans harp on a backup PG since the 80's. Team if they end up with a top 5 pick is not going to
dedicate their top 5 pick to a backup player.

One has to think the team will target a front court player that is the best fit for the current roster and assuming
they don't get the top 1-2 pick, will go get that player. There is no consensus #1 pick and some teams might have
Topic as the #1 pick and be open to a trade down

I hear ya. Similar to Warrior fans begging for the team to draft a Center since the 90s.

I'm always a BPA when it comes high lottery picks, but BPA is always open to whoevers interpretation. Drafting for fit and need that high in the draft especially when the team is young and in complete rebuild mode isn't a good method imo.

Also - who knows. I don't have deep knowledge on the other guys except watching a lot of youtube videos.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#305 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:41 am

This is a draft where there really is no consensus #1. Lots of guys who will be projects that teams hope
will be able to play eventually

For some teams like the Spurs, Topic who is a 6-6 PG might be the top pick. For others, the Pistons
would likely pick Risacher, who might be a good fit up front with no shooters like Duren and Thompson.
Sarr is going to be a project that some hope will develop into another Mobley, but he might be as green
as Rupert was this season.

It'll be interesting to see who Portland targets in this draft for it would not be the end of the world if
they drop to 6-7 and not have to pick the project player that fits best in Portland. It might not be so
bad if the GSW somehow end up keeping their pick and we're stuck with the GSW pick in 2025 (top 1
protected) in a better draft.

I think there is a real chance the picks at 14, 34, 40 might help Portland more than their top pick
for Portland is in good shape to draft some guys who played 3-4 years in college to be their Jaime
Jacquez next season
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#306 » by cdubbz » Mon May 6, 2024 1:27 am

Norm2953 wrote:This is a draft where there really is no consensus #1.

I think there is a real chance the picks at 14, 34, 40 might help Portland more than their top pick
for Portland is in good shape to draft some guys who played 3-4 years in college to be their Jaime
Jacquez next season

I wonder how much of a factor drafting another high prospect Frenchman is for the Spurs. Sarr & Risacher can both work with Wemby too.

The ultimate hope would be for two future pieces for the Blazers coming from this draft - and worst case 1!

A comparison to the 2012 Warriors draft who had 4 draft picks.

#7Harrison Barnes (sophomore)
#30 Festus Ezeli (Senior)
#35 Draymond Green (Senior)
#52 Ognen Kuzmic (international)

Barnes was a high value prospect & was considered a safe pick, low floor/high ceiling player. Festus/Green were viewed as upper classmen who could potentially be role players in the future. Kuz was a complete 7ft project. He did actually play garbage time.

Ezeli had to retire after the 15 championship due to knee problems, but if he didn’t the Warriors would have hit on 3 out of 4 draft picks. Blazers have better picks but that would be the dream
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#307 » by Walton1one » Mon May 6, 2024 6:09 pm

1) I hope POR keeps both picks, they need to make as many swings as possible to increase the level of talent on this team.

2) Depending on how the lotto draw turns out, POR could end up anywhere from #1 to #7 I think? Most likely #4\#5 though.

3) As it looks right now, and this draft seems to be relatively flat talent-wise, it appears that there are 4\5 tiers developing? At least when you look at all of the prognosticators. What will be fascinating is to see how it all plays out, as this could be a draft where some players projected as mid-1st rounders go in the Top 10 or players pegged at the back of the lotto, end up sliding to later in the 1st. I am curious to see how close the actual picks will end up to what is being forecasted.

4) This got me thinking, with that top pick, depending where POR lands, who would they likely be choosing from realistically?

Here are the tiers that seem to be developing, keep in mind I would not be surprised if a player from a lower tier went higher, that IMO is going to be the crazy part of a draft that is certainly shaping up to be "Eye of the Beholder" type.

I also think as you move down in tiers the line blurs more and more b\t those players where they could rise\drop depending on the teams at those picks

TIER 1 (pick #1) - I think Sarr will likely go #1 and if for some reason he doesn't he won't fall far (2/3)

Sarr

TIER 2 (picks #2 -# 5) - I think these 4 likely make up the rest of the top 5, and if one slides it would not be far (maybe 1-3 picks?). I cannot see any of them falling out of the top 10

Castle
Clingan
Risacher
Topic

TIER #3 (picks #6-8) - I think that you could see any of these players slide up\down by several picks, outside chance that any of the 3 of them could go top 5 (longshot, maybe one of them could even sneak into the top 3?). I would be surprised if the players listed in Tier 3 slipped outside of the top 10. I view these 3 players as more likely to go top 5 than I do outside the top 10.

Buzelis
Dillingham
Holland

TIER 4 (picks #9 - #12) - I would not be surprised if more than 2 of these players went inside the top 10, I can't see any of them going top 5 though. I think it more than likely that these players are taken somewhere in the mid\back end range of the lotto. I can't see any of them falling out of the lotto (top 14) though.

Sheppard
Knecht
Williams
Salaun

TIER 5 (picks #13+) - Tough to put a list of players together for this Tier. I think this is where the draft will just break wide open and you will see players projected as mid\late firsts going in the back end of the lotto and some players projected as back end lotto falling to later in the 1st. Too many players with wide-ranging views about them. Could 1\2 of these guys possibly sneak into the top 10? Possible, maybe 1? but unlikely IMO. A couple of guys who fit this tier:

Jakobe Walter
Isaiah Collier
Tyler Smith
Devin Carter
Tristan Da Silva
Jared McCain
Kyle Filipowski
Terrance Shannon
Johnny Furphy
Yves MIssi

That is 10 guys, so encompassing picks #13-#22, and that doesn't factor other guys like Zach Edey, Kel'el Ware, Kyshawn George or some player projected late 1st\2nd as going mid-1st, which will happen, so some of these guys could slip to back of the 1st, probably not 2nd?
Walton1one
Ballboy

Post#308 » by Walton1one » Mon May 6, 2024 6:21 pm

So, given if that is somewhat accurate and POR falls somewhere b\t #2-#7, who seems likely that they take?

Obviously, if they get the #1 pick they take Sarr IMO. So the question really becomes, if their pick falls within the top 5, who would they likely draft? How would those players rank?

Same, If they fall to #6 & #7 and those top 5 players are not there, who do they take?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#309 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon May 6, 2024 7:17 pm

Walton1one wrote:So, given if that is somewhat accurate and POR falls somewhere b\t #2-#7, who seems likely that they take?

Obviously, if they get the #1 pick they take Sarr IMO. So the question really becomes, if their pick falls within the top 5, who would they likely draft? How would those players rank?

Same, If they fall to #6 & #7 and those top 5 players are not there, who do they take?

I take Matas and hope he can iron out the rough spots. Think he has Detlef type talent if he manages to play up to his potential.

My ideal draft is wining the lotto to snag Sarr + moving Grant to SAC for filler and #13. Then using 13 and 14 to move up and snag Matas.

Finally, try to move 33, 40 and Walker for a late FRP and snag Keyshawn, Furphy or Silva. I could see MIN being interested w/ their $$$ crunch - get a rotation guy in Walker and 2 SRP that will be NGT deals.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#310 » by zzaj » Mon May 6, 2024 7:36 pm

Walton1one wrote:So, given if that is somewhat accurate and POR falls somewhere b\t #2-#7, who seems likely that they take?

IMHO, that is too big a question ATM. The combine and workouts will determine A LOT in this draft, and the question marks over the heads of Simons, Brogdon, and Grant will dictate the rest.

If the Blazers decide they are going to move on from Simons and/or Brogdon I can see a need for players like Knecht, Topic, Dillingham, Castle, Ajay Mitchell or shooters like McCain or the flamethrowing Sandfort.

If the Blazers decide they are going to shop Grant, I could see any of Risarcher, Sarr, Matas, Cody Williams, Salaun or Da Silva being the target.

Personally, more and more I'm liking the idea of Clingan, Salaun, Da Silva or Holmes, although I'm not super high on anybody in this class. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's "in Schmitz I trust" in this draft.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#311 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:55 pm

I'd love to dump Ayton for positive value and draft Clingan to replace him.

Unlikely he'd ever be a star but if he's a better Joel Pryzbilla, I'd be happy.
Walton1one
Ballboy

Post#312 » by Walton1one » Mon May 6, 2024 8:41 pm

Assuming no moves, which may be foolhardy, a lot of teams seem ready to make changes and with a relatively flat draft I could see picks being swapped around much more frequently than normal.

Let's say POR lands 2-5, I think I would lean towards one of Risacher\Castle\Holland\Buzelis, though I have no idea who might be better\more what POR is looking for, that is why Cronin\Scmitz have the jobs.

IMO, Risacher has the prototypical size\position and he is playing against the best competition by far at age 19, very good shooting % on lower? usage but in meaningful games. What is his floor? Not sure he has the star potential of some of the other players, but maybe a more sure floor? One comp was Michael Porter JR, which would be a good IMO.

Castle, to me is all about betting on the upside, he is a combo guard, which means likely\need to commit to dealing away Simons. I think you have to believe that either he or Scoot (or both!) can develop into a reliable outside shooter b\c having 2 of the Scoot\Sharpe\Castle trio not having a reliable outside shot is not a recipe for success. He may have the biggest upside in the draft though, defensively, scoring and if the shooting improves, he could be a potential star-level player.

Holland\Buzelis are close IMO, both played G-league, better competition than college IMO. Like Castle, do you view either of them developing into a reliable shooter? I tend to like Holland's upside more than Buzelis, but his (Holland's) size concerns me. If he is more like Castle height-wise, I would rather see POR take Castle.

Holland was only 18 in G-League, yet he showed scoring prowess (avg 19pts) but 3pt shooting was abysmal (24%), hustles, plays defense, rebounds. Only played about 1/2 season (14 games). He had been viewed as the #1 player in his class for a while. Curious on his measurements, b\c some have said he is closer to 6'5 than 6'8. His FT% was 75.7% so maybe there is some hope about the 3pt shot? He is like Castle to me, do you buy the potential high\star level upside, if so, he could be a top 3\best player in the draft.

Buzelis was 19 in G-League. His performance in G-league was not overly impressive? 27% 3pt, 67.9 FT%. He has good size, definitely prototypical SF\PF? size, bigger than Holland, but skinny, needs to fill out. He is going to get pushed around more (what rookie doesn't?). Apparently he shot very well coming out of HS, so is this just an adjustment thing or an issue? I watched him in the futures game and he looked like he belonged, playing against NBA rookies\2nd year players. I am not sure if he is a star-level type player but moreso a valuable starting piece.

Outside of those players, I am not sure who else makes sense?

Clingan? Maybe? I don't see Ayton going anywhere soon in the near future (next 2yrs) and he is only 25. I think Clingan will probably be a good rotation player but I would rather see POR use that pick on a higher upside\better fitting (wing) player. I don't think it makes a lot of sense drafting Clingan as a b\u for 2 years\eventual starter when you have other players who may have higher upsides.

Cody Williams is an enigma to me, but I would not be totally surprised if POR sitting in the #5-7 range took him? I think he is several years (3?) away from being ready though, looks raw physically (more than Buzelis). He shot well, has good measureables, super skinny\light. He seemed to float\dissapear in the games I watched and then occassionally flash some nice moves, but he was coming back from injury. I am just not sure where his potential ceiling is compared to the other players listed and a team drafting him may not either.

I go back & forth about different players but I think Castle\Holland are the most intriguing in this draft, just on the potential upside. I am not sure Risacher\Buzelis\Williams have the same potential, but I would be a little concerned if Risacher was sitting there and POR passed on him. A lot will have to do with where POR is at. If they are at #2\3, both Castle & Risacher will be there, at #5\6\7, maybe Buzelis\Holland would be there, Williams should be, that is where it becomes tough IMO. Not sure what the choice is there, if Holland has the size, maybe him or Buzelis\Williams whomever they like better, both are unknowns IMO, although Buzelis played against vastly better competition.

I know people say this draft is weak, but given where POR is, the picks they have, this should be a fun draft to watch. Just hope Cronin\Scmitz hit on the right players. If the last 2 years are a barometer, they have drafted rather well.
Walton1one
Ballboy

Post#313 » by Walton1one » Mon May 6, 2024 9:02 pm

zzaj wrote:IMHO, that is too big a question ATM. The combine and workouts will determine A LOT in this draft, and the question marks over the heads of Simons, Brogdon, and Grant will dictate the rest.

If the Blazers decide they are going to move on from Simons and/or Brogdon I can see a need for players like Knecht, Topic, Dillingham, Castle, Ajay Mitchell or shooters like McCain or the flamethrowing Sandfort.

If the Blazers decide they are going to shop Grant, I could see any of Risarcher, Sarr, Matas, Cody Williams, Salaun or Da Silva being the target.

Personally, more and more I'm liking the idea of Clingan, Salaun, Da Silva or Holmes, although I'm not super high on anybody in this class. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's "in Schmitz I trust" in this draft.

I agree, but my point was more if they are sitting at #2, #5, #7 who are the likely players to be there and who would they likely pick.

I can't see Topic\Dillingham\Sheppard not unless you are convinced they have surefire star potential because you would have to move off of Scoot after 1yr which would be shortsighted and I don't see them doing that OR you are going to go back to the 2 short guard rotation, which didn't work when you have Dame\CJ. I can't\don't want to see them re-visit that again.

Guys like Knecht\Da Silva (I like him)\Salaun (intriguing), I could see at #14, but at #5 or so? I would be very surprised, MAYBE Salaun as a darkhorse (if they are at #6\7).

Any of the other guys would be there in the #14 range IMO. I think this draft will be fluid, but the top players rumored will be the top players for the most part, going high in the draft.

I am conflicted on Clingan, he could be a decent center, 22 when Ayton's contract is up. He should be serviceable starting big at the least, just not sure POR can afford to pass on a player who has higher potential for him, especially with a top 5 pick. Just in this draft alone, there are other center type players who could be good\starting level players and there at #14 or in the 2nd round.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,535

Post#314 » by Pattycakes » Mon May 6, 2024 9:35 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I'd love to dump Ayton for positive value and draft Clingan to replace him.

We instantly drop off majorly from an already dreadful record. No thanks. DA recovered fine last year
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#315 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon May 6, 2024 10:06 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I'd love to dump Ayton for positive value and draft Clingan to replace him.

We instantly drop off majorly from an already dreadful record. No thanks. DA recovered fine last year

Good. We need to suck next year and get a good pick in a really good draft.

DA is a stopgap to keep us watchable. He is going to be long gone by the time we are a playoff team again IMO (Which is 3+ years away).
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#316 » by zzaj » Mon May 6, 2024 10:23 pm

Walton1one wrote:
zzaj wrote:IMHO, that is too big a question ATM. The combine and workouts will determine A LOT in this draft, and the question marks over the heads of Simons, Brogdon, and Grant will dictate the rest.

I agree, but my point was more if they are sitting at #2, #5, #7 who are the likely players to be there and who would they likely pick.

Yeah, get what you're asking...but again I think that's going to be really hard to discern because the Combine and workouts haven't happened. Right now a ton of mocks have Topic second. Some don't have Sarr #1. Some don't have Castle in the top 5.

It's a flat draft meaning there will be stars to be had but they could just as likely come in the 20s as the lottery. Shoot a guy like Ajay Mitchell might end up being the best player in this draft and most sites have him midway to the end of the second round.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#317 » by cdubbz » Tue May 7, 2024 10:21 pm

Another look at a team that had 4 draft picks in the same draft:

2017 Sacramento Kings
#5 - Fox PG
#15 - Justin Jackson SF
#20 - Harry Giles PF
#34 - Frank Mason PG

I remember thinking they had a really solid draft. All 4 guys received a decent amount of playing time their first season or two together. The 2017 draft class was insanely deep with currently a handful of guys drafted atfer 20 who have impactful roles currently like Josh Hart, Kuzma, Derrick White, Jarret Allen, Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris...wow
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#318 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:38 am

Pattycakes wrote:

By next summer, there will need to be discussions on whether to extend DA and if he's putting up numbers,
he's not taking a pay cut.

Of course Clingan would have to pass a team physical and knowing the team history with bigs, if there are any
red flags physically, the team would pass and either take BPA (likely a guard) or pursue a trade up for Sarr.

The problem with Sarr is he may be as green as Rupert was this season. Team would have to hope TL makes it
back next season for Sarr might be spending a lot of time in the G league
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,535

Post#319 » by Pattycakes » Wed May 8, 2024 3:29 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

Good. We need to suck next year and get a good pick in a really good draft.

DA is a stopgap to keep us watchable. He is going to be long gone by the time we are a playoff team again IMO (Which is 3+ years away).

There’s literally no sign that is actually true.

Perfect age, perfect on-court compliment to our other pieces, shows will to hustle and improve to fit others around him.

He needs to mature, that is clear to anyone. But he appears to love and support his teammates and they appear to do the same.

I think many people here just don’t like him.. but Nurk once got a lot of hate for his emotions too. Became a fan favorite. Don’t see any real indications DA can’t or won’t evolve to the same spot once the team is winning more.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#320 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:50 pm

Age wise that's correct but DA has two more years left on his deal at $69 million and by next summer
will be an expiring contract looking for an extension.

I'm in with the crowd that feels if he were signed to a Nurkic sized deal ($37 Million) we'd be fine with
him. Overpaid for what he is and likely to be even more overpaid in an extension.

DA isn't the biggest priority for Simons/Grant are higher priorities.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers