Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Re: Trade the Pick??? 

Post#41 » by cdubbz » Mon May 13, 2024 12:34 am

JasonStern wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
JasonStern wrote:If ever a draft for the franchise's bad luck to bite us, this is probably it. Still drinking, but embracing our new "Hornets of the West" era.

Jeez so pessimistic and dramatic. Hornets are an awful franchise who haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade. They also just signed Lamelo Ball to a max deal and he barely plays more than half a season if that.

Blazers future is really BRIGHT. Young players to develop, solid assets that can be traded, and draft draft picks every year going forward.

Hornets of the West is funny though - can't say any team out West is in the same position. Almost all Western Conference teams have been in the playoff mix the best decade. Spurs maybe, but they're going to crawl out soon and didn't dig themselves a grave like the Hornets.

I'm not stressing. Brogdon (31), Grant (30), Thybulle (27), Reath (27), and Timelord (26) are the only players on the roster over 25.

I worded what I said poorly. The Blazers are typically an unlucky franchise. My intent was if there ever was a draft to slide back, this is probably the best one to have it happen.

Oh I see what you mean now! Makes sense. I misinterpreted it.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,560

Post#42 » by zzaj » Mon May 13, 2024 1:04 am

I’ll be honest, I don’t think there is much of a difference in longterm outlook between #1 and #7…this will allow the team to just go BPA and not think twice about it.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,779

Post#43 » by Case2012 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 am

The optimists on this site really annoy me to no end, and most you were pro trading Dame too. I really thought we would be gifted the top pick after Dame left but we got screwed. At least there's no clear cut top 3 picks this year..
Instagram: @casetwelve
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,126

Post#44 » by Effigy » Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 am

JasonStern wrote:If ever a draft for the franchise's bad luck to bite us, this is probably the best one. Still drinking, but embracing our new "Hornets of the West" era.

Effigy wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
We're already 3 seasons into tank-a-thon. Draft better and develop the talent on the roster.

We are only one season in on the rebuild.

Lies. We're 3 seasons in. Just because we're one season post-Dame doesn't mean we didn't shut things down and tank the previous two seasons. But starting next season, we'll have Sharpe (#7), Scoot (#3), Ayton (#1), Simons, 2 2024 lotto picks, plus Brogdon/Grant as veterans. Plus a future Bucks and future Celtics pick owed. And the only 1st round pick owed is the ghost of Olshey's to Chicago. It's not a bad position to rebuild from. Will the Blazers blow it? Yes. That's what they do. But execution wise, they're doing fine. It's not like we're shackled to Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson, praying on some 2029 pick.

Eh. If you’re already that negative, you should probably just get out now. I don’t see this being a fast rebuild at all with current ownership.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#45 » by zzaj » Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 pm

Case2012 wrote:The optimists on this site really annoy me to no end, and most you were pro trading Dame too. I really thought we would be gifted the top pick after Dame left but we got screwed. At least there's no clear cut top 3 picks this year at least...

Sorry to annoy you...as I'm in the get the bad draft mojo out this year and call in the good mojo next year in a higher, 1st tier draft class, group.

Is it disappointing to not get the first pick after an injury-riddled, uber tank season? Of course...but if ever there was a draft to slip it's this one. Also, think about Detroit fans. They had #5 for ever it seems...
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 584

Post#46 » by LaSheed » Mon May 13, 2024 3:29 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Pistons have drafted fifth despite tanking, for the past 4 seasons. Clearly committing to the
tank is not working for them.

This. As a Pistons fan do not commit to the tank. Poor drafting and when you finally get a player (Cade) but waste 2-3 years after that tanking it creates a bunch of players that only know how to lose.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#47 » by cdubbz » Tue May 14, 2024 12:46 am

Case2012 wrote:The optimists on this site really annoy me to no end, and most you were pro trading Dame too. I really thought we would be gifted the top pick after Dame left but we got screwed. At least there's no clear cut top 3 picks this year at least...

Seems like you were pretty optimistic about being gifted a top pick! What’s to dislike about the Blazers future? I don’t know the GM all that well but the draft picks and young prospects is exciting.

I’m a new fan here - but seems like Dame time was up in Portland anyways. No superstar stays with 1 team their whole career if they haven’t had a taste of the finals. He’s in his 30s. Let him play with a different team.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Post#48 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 14, 2024 12:52 am

I didn't care about the number one pick, but the number seven pick sucks. I'd have been just fine with number three or four.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Butter
General Manager
And1: 130

Post#49 » by Butter » Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I didn't care about the number one pick, but the number seven pick sucks. I'd have been just fine with number three or four.

I know man. They could package 7 and 14 and see how far they move up.

Honestly, in this years crap shoot, I'd rather make two throws and see how it plays out.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 am

Houston is said to want to trade the third pick. Grant and #14 ... not sure they'd want Grant so perhaps a third team is needed?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Butter
General Manager
And1: 130

Post#51 » by Butter » Tue May 14, 2024 1:05 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Houston is said to want to trade the third pick. Grant and #14 ... not sure they'd want Grant so perhaps a third team is needed?

That would be AWESOME. Lower the cap hit and move up? Heck, I'd give them the 7 and Grant.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#52 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:08 am

Blazers might be better off just picking one of Buzelis/Holland at 7 and BPA at 14, 34, 40.

Those guys at 14, 34, 40 might produce more than the guy they pick at 7
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#53 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:12 am

Butter wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Houston is said to want to trade the third pick. Grant and #14 ... not sure they'd want Grant so perhaps a third team is needed?

That would be AWESOME. Lower the cap hit and move up? Heck, I'd give them the 7 and Grant.

There was talk of 2 for 7,14. That might appeal to Houston at 3 but I wonder if its worth trading up to 2/3
for Risacher, when Salaun is likely sitting there at 14
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 14, 2024 4:15 am

I don't follow college ball so I dunno who is worth what.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#55 » by ebott » Tue May 14, 2024 2:28 pm

zzaj wrote:I’ll be honest, I don’t think there is much of a difference in longterm outlook between #1 and #7…this will allow the team to just go BPA and not think twice about it.

I'd rather you lied to me and told me there's a sure fire all-star in the top 3 of this draft cause at least then I could have pipe dreams that we trade up.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#56 » by zzaj » Tue May 14, 2024 4:01 pm

The Ringer came up with a pretty great Mock on their draft podcast that included team needs, franchise player "types" and fit long-term--although they didn't include the Topic injury. They had the Blazers taking Clingan at #7 and De Silva at #14. I'm taking that and running with it if I'm Portland.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,051

Post#57 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 14, 2024 6:34 pm

I don't think I'm even going to bother watching the draft this year. I would say trade the pick, but considering what little value high lottery picks had in good drafts, I can't imagine how bad the value is this year.

So honestly, do whatever with it, pick BPA (even if that's another guard) or trade it if there's an even remotely reasonable deal. I just dnc this summer.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,613

Post#58 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 6:37 pm

zzaj wrote:The Ringer came up with a pretty great Mock on their draft podcast that included team needs, franchise player "types" and fit long-term--although they didn't include the Topic injury. They had the Blazers taking Clingan at #7 and De Silva at #14. I'm taking that and running with it if I'm Portland.

POR could do worse.

I expect Shepherd and Salaun to bust. Dillingham probably too.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#59 » by zzaj » Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 pm

JRoy wrote:
zzaj wrote:The Ringer came up with a pretty great Mock on their draft podcast that included team needs, franchise player "types" and fit long-term--although they didn't include the Topic injury. They had the Blazers taking Clingan at #7 and De Silva at #14. I'm taking that and running with it if I'm Portland.

POR could do worse.

What about those 3 players screams "bust" to you?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,613

Post#60 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 pm

zzaj wrote:
JRoy wrote:

POR could do worse.

What about those 3 players screams "bust" to you?

The guards are tiny. Salaun is pretty raw.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers