ImageImage

Will Simon's quietly request a trade?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 556

Re: Will Simon's quietly request a trade? 

Post#141 » by Goldbum » Tue May 21, 2024 9:54 am

I think Orlando will make some cap-space and it will be Ant + Jabari (or Reath) for Black + Orlando's 2025 first top 4 protected.
Orlando is going to need to cut a few role players to take on Ant's salary so a guy like Jabari makes too much sense. He's going into his last contract year and I don't think Portland wants to pay him . He's a better Okeke for them. Black is that wing/guard chess piece we need to play big.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#142 » by m0ng0 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Trading our best player, and quite honestly our best 4, for an ideally sized pg/hybrid who scored 4 pts per game and a middling 1st round pick assuming Orlando continues to improve. Wow what a deal...
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,034

Post#143 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 21, 2024 1:53 pm

m0ng0 wrote:Trading our best player, and quite honestly our best 4, for an ideally sized pg/hybrid who scored 4 pts per game and a middling 1st round pick assuming Orlando continues to improve. Wow what a deal...

If Simons is in the long term plans we should be shopping Sharpe, who is extension eligible after this season and likely will be in the 20M range. We can’t pay 2 SG something like 45M+.

The time to cash on Simons if Sharpe is the guy we plan to roll with at SG is a year sooner (now) not a year later when teams know he have to move him in order to pay Shadeon.

If we could come out with a better roster fit in Black, who also fits the age timeline of Scoot and Sharpe, that’s a great haul. I would also inquire on Sochan if SAS takes a F with 4 or 8.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#144 » by m0ng0 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:15 pm

There seemed to be more than enough minutes last year with all the injuries, personally I would rather see Grant and Brogdon go and you have still have 2 top 20 picks. Draft best BPA and what happens.

Everybody thru a fit when the idea of playing Sharpe at the 3 was even suggested, but that seems to be what we would be doing with Black? Banton was a bit of a diamond in the rough also. Walker improved a lot this year.

Scheming to your strengths might be an idea also?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#145 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 21, 2024 3:18 pm

m0ng0 wrote:There seemed to be more than enough minutes last year with all the injuries, personally I would rather see Grant and Brogdon go and you have still have 2 top 20 picks. Draft best BPA and what happens.

Everybody thru a fit when the idea of playing Sharpe at the 3 was even suggested, but that seems to be what we would be doing with Black? Banton was a bit of a diamond in the rough also. Walker improved a lot this year.

One of the 5 most talent starved teams in the league sitting on a 25M per season 6th man is just not a good way to rebuild IMO.

I think you will be correct though and we simply run it back w/ the middling vets to ensure the team revenue keeps flowing in as we fight for at best the #10 bubble spot and miss out on a high pick in the stacked 2025 draft.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,562

Post#146 » by zzaj » Tue May 21, 2024 3:26 pm

JasonStern wrote:
zzaj wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
All 3 of those are solid trade ideas.

That said, I still don't get why everyone wants to move Simons so badly. I understand we want to see Scoot and Sharpe starting. But Simons, Brogdon, and Grant are our 3 best players. Watching unwatchable basketball for 82 games just to get the 7th pick? Eh...

Because watching 'Meh' basketball with Simons/Brogdon/Grant/Ayton for the 22nd pick is much worse for a "rebuild".

Is it? We also have Sharpe, Scoot, and 2 lotto picks in this year's draft. Plus potential guys in Camara, Rupert, Murray, Banton. People keep saying last year was year 1 of the rebuild, but the rebuild started when we shut Dame down to tank for Sharpe. And all season, people kept posting how unwatchable this team was and how disinterested they became.

And I'm not saying don't trade Simons if the right deal came along. But I'd much rather watch Simons/Brogdon/Grant/Ayton than a team of G-leaguers lose by 40 just to slide to 7th in the draft.

A team of Scoot/Sharpe/Ant/Camara/Grant/Ayton playing 82 games and completely healthy is (if they are lucky) a .500 team and not even close to sniffing the Play-in in the West. The Blazers treadmilled under Roy/Aldridge and they treadmilled under Lillard. It's all opinions, but I would rather lose hard for a couple of years in order to hopefully get past the treadmill down the road. If you would rather watch a .500 team, that's totally fine--I get that. I think management would be happy with that too.

FWIW, I buy into the 'soft tank' idea. IMO, the rebuild for real started this last season--when the Blazers made the decision to get rid of their one Top 20 player. Prior to that they were trying to low-key rebuild and it didn't work.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#147 » by zzaj » Tue May 21, 2024 3:28 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:There seemed to be more than enough minutes last year with all the injuries, personally I would rather see Grant and Brogdon go and you have still have 2 top 20 picks. Draft best BPA and what happens.

One of the 5 most talent starved teams in the league sitting on a 25M per season 6th man is just not a good way to rebuild IMO.

I think you will be correct though and we simply run it back w/ the middling vets to ensure the team revenue keeps flowing in as we fight for at best the #10 bubble spot and miss out on a high pick in the stacked 2025 draft.

#10 this year was 46-36. There's no chance in hell that the Blazers come close to that number with the current roster.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 873

Post#148 » by tester551 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:34 pm

Goldbum wrote:I think Orlando will make some cap-space and it will be Ant + Jabari (or Reath) for Black + Orlando's 2025 first top 4 protected.
Orlando is going to need to cut a few role players to take on Ant's salary so a guy like Jabari makes too much sense. He's going into his last contract year and I don't think Portland wants to pay him . He's a better Okeke for them. Black is that wing/guard chess piece we need to play big.

Ahh - the often referenced Orlando trade. It just makes so much sense for both teams IMO.

Have you heard of any real smoke here... or is it all just speculation?

I really struggled on what to think of Black as a prospect last year. Ultimately, I think his best comparison is probably a Spencer Dinwiddie type.

All things being equal, I'd rather have more picks. This would be my ideal scenario:

Ant + Reath + #40 for WCJ + #18 + ORL'25
Reath replaces WCJ contributions in Orlando.

Portland flips #18 to Chicago for the future pick returned.
Portland flips WCJ to the highest bidder. OKC, NYK, Memphis could all use him. Memphis fans were saying '25Mem(LP) + Kennard for WCJ.

End results would be: Kennard (about equal to Ant... just older), Mem'25, Orl'25, Port'26(or '27)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#149 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm

tester551 wrote:
Goldbum wrote:I think Orlando will make some cap-space and it will be Ant + Jabari (or Reath) for Black + Orlando's 2025 first top 4 protected.

Ahh - the often referenced Orlando trade. It just makes so much sense for both teams IMO.

Have you heard of any real smoke here... or is it all just speculation?

I really struggled on what to think of Black as a prospect last year. Ultimately, I think his best comparison is probably a Spencer Dinwiddie type.

All things being equal, I'd rather have more picks. This would be my ideal scenario:

Ant + Reath + #40 for WCJ + #18 + ORL'25
Reath replaces WCJ contributions in Orlando.

Portland flips #18 to Chicago for the future pick returned.
Portland flips WCJ to the highest bidder. OKC, NYK, Memphis could all use him. Memphis fans were saying '25Mem(LP) + Kennard for WCJ.

End results would be: Kennard (about equal to Ant... just older), Mem'25, Orl'25, Port'26(or '27)

Ya, I love this. And think its more likely than a Black deal as ORL will be hesitant to move off a recent Top-10 pick.

I think the value of Simons + Reath + 40 is closer to WCJ + DEN25 FRP personally.

The deal I have liked for ages is -

PDX OUT - Simons + Reath
PDX IN - Dieng + DEN 25 FRP + lower of OKC / MIA 25 FRP

ORL OUT - WCJ + DEN 25 FRP
ORL IN - Simons + Reath

OKC OUT - Dieng + lower or OKC / MIA 25 FRP
OKC IN - WCJ

Then when PHI misses on PG13 hope they panic buy Grant + RWIII for cap space and the 28 UNP LAC FRP.

Trade 34 + 40 for a late FRP (25 from NYK?)

7 - Tidjane Salaun F
14 - Zach Edey C
25 - Kyshawn George GF

G - Scoot Henderson / Malcolm Brogdan / Dalano Banton
G - Shadeon Sharpe / Dalano Banton / Kyshawn George
F - Osumane Dieng / Matisse Thybulle / Rayan Rupert
F - Toumari Camara / Tidjane Salaun / Kris Murray
C - DeAndre Ayton / Zach Edey / Jabari Walker JR

+

2025 DEN FRP (Top5 / Top5 / Top5)
2025 lower of OKC FRP / MIA FRP
2028 LAC FRP (UNP)
2028 MIL FRP Swap (UNP)
2029 MIL FRP (UNP)
2029 BOS FRP (UNP)
2030 MIL FRP Swap (UNP)
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#150 » by Walton1one » Tue May 21, 2024 5:18 pm

The problem with this team is that there is no "star" player yet, and just two, who "maybe" could get there in Scoot\Sharpe. Everyone else is superfluous IMO.

I think Scoot showed some good potential LY. I think Billups screwed up his development a little by bringing him off the bench, playing him with Ant, he is not an off guard, he is a pure PG. He needs the ball in his hands and he is a raw 19yr old, he was going to get his a$$ handed to him either way. He flashed some nice play towards the end of the year and all of the "intangibles" are there, effort\size\athletic ability etc... He just needs time, PG is hardest position in the NBA. POR drafted him high for a reason and now they need to do everything they can to help him reach that potential. I am not nearly ready to give up on Scoot.

Sharpe is a tantalizing player to watch, but can he stay healthy:? Can he put everything together and realize his ceiling? Does he have that Alpha in him? All these are valid\concerning questions and yes, he will be up for a 2nd contract in 2 years and b\c of injuries, it is hard to gauge what he can become. I think this year is critical for him and for POR, they need to see\know what they have in him, which is another reason why they need to clear the deck for him (and Scoot). They do that by, namely dealing away Brogdon\Ant

Everyone else is give\take depending on what they could get back.

Camara\Rupert\Murray are all rather cheap, Camara has 3yrs of team options, Rupert 2yrs, both inexpensive, Camara has shown he could be a good rotation piece, Rupert is still all potential, so I don't see a reason POR should look to deal them. Murray is on a rookie scale contract, so same situation, give him another year or two to see if he can improve on his end of the year play. But again, all of these guys could be nice rotational pieces, nice to have, but not so critical when you don't have THAT player to put them around.

The rest they should be open to dealing if they can bring back suitable assets (young player, future draft picks). POR needs as many swings in the draft as they can get UNTIL they find that Star\Lead player. Nothing is really going to advance meaningfully until that is achieved. They have 2 swings this year, at least 1, next year.

As for Simons, yes deal him, clear the deck for Sharpe so you can see what you have, get some FUTIRE Assets for him. Black doesn't really move the needle for me, I would rather see them pry AT MINIMUM one of the two 25' picks ORL has (the better of the two) and a either future 1st of a player like WCJ.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#151 » by zzaj » Tue May 21, 2024 6:16 pm

Sharpe is only 20, and still has a lot of game to unlock, but I don't think he has Alpha in him. Personally, I'm pretty high on Banton. I see him as the perfect 6th man moving forward. He's a better defender than Sharpe and is capable of getting hot.

If the Blazers have the gonads to trade Simons and Brogdon, I have no problem with them drafting a Sheppard or a Knecht. Assuming health, Scoot/Sharpe/Banton and a Sheppard or Knecht is just fine to roll with to see how things shake out. But the main thing is, it's much cheaper and you don't have the "Simons best position would be 6th man" situation.

I'd like for the Blazers to utilize the Indiana philosophy of constantly moving in fresh legs. It was interesting watching the Knicks fall apart because Thibs won't play his bench, meanwhile the Indiana bench players came in and instantly looked like the best players on the court. Same thing happened in Denver, to a lesser extent.

FWIW, I do think that the Blazers will move off of Simons and Chauncey, in Chauncey's case per his request. I think it'll happen around next year's deadline though.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#152 » by GEE » Tue May 21, 2024 11:05 pm

:wassup:

I think Scoot will end up being the Super 6th-man (at least for next year) that many hoped for Simons. If TL & Sharpe return near 100% after taking all of last year to heal, and smart usage of the two lottery picks this year... I think our rebuild may be complete.

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / Brogden
Grant / Thybulle
TL /
Ayton /

4 draft picks this year to use + Banton, Camara, Reath, Brown and the others... IF HEALTHY, I think we could win ALOT next year.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Post#153 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 21, 2024 11:36 pm

GEE wrote::wassup:

I think Scoot will end up being the Super 6th-man (at least for next year) that many hoped for Simons. If TL & Sharpe return near 100% after taking all of last year to heal, and smart usage of the two lottery picks this year... I think our rebuild may be complete.

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / Brogden
Grant / Thybulle
TL /
Ayton /

4 draft picks this year to use + Banton, Camara, Reath, Brown and the others... IF HEALTHY, I think we could win ALOT next year.

I think you are being overly optimistic, but I admire the enthusiasm
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Post#154 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 22, 2024 1:19 am

I'm doubtful a BC of Simons and Sharpe would work but assuming Chauncey returns as HC,
Chauncey will need AC's that can implement a system that maximizes who is on the roster.

Portland still has 4 guards who can all play in the league, potentially two centers who
compliment each other and Jerami Grant and 3 more or less role players in Camara, Walker
and Murray. I think they need a big physical player to play alongside of Grant and Ayton but
am doubtful that guy is TL given his injuries.

Team needs the next Maurice Lucas but that player is not in this draft, even if they had gotten
the #1 pick for Sarr is a project.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#155 » by zzaj » Wed May 22, 2024 6:58 am

Norm2953 wrote:Team needs the next Maurice Lucas but that player is not in this draft, even if they had gotten

It’s easy to get rose-colored glasses over Lucas and other players we loved. It’s easy to forget that he had his best career years in Portland.

The game and player types were different then. Mo Lucas would likely be a foul prone limited scoring big in today’s game…basically Jabari Walker in size (6’9 220) And while Lucas was a better passer in a better system, Walker can hit 1 out of every 3 3pt attempts. And when you look at Jabari’s per 36…it’s pretty darned close. Lucas was a better positional defender, but PFs don’t play on the low block anymore. Lucas would get left in the dust or foul every possession playing in space against the modern NBA PF.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,992

Post#156 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed May 22, 2024 1:23 pm

Yeah, defensively somebody like Uncle Cliffy makes a lot more sense as a contemporary four or even five. He covered wings and bigs equally effectively in his prime before becoming strictly a post defender later: ultimate switchability. Offensively he shot far too many long twos and wasted possessions posting up, but today he's a later Rashard Lewis or Michael Porter Jr. type: some bounce, limited primacy, and a steady diet of open jumpers. He'd be a very valuable player today.

Sheed, among former Blazers PFs, was of course even better, but he's strictly a stretch 5 today IMO.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#157 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:20 pm

Any interest in taking Anthony Black and 2 1sts instead? (#18 in this year's draft plus the DEN 2025 pick). Black was a lottery pick, has shown good defense, a better than expected 3 (on low volume), but not ready to run an offense, which may be good next to Scoot and provides some size in your guard rotation. Plus then we'd free up your cap space for future moves.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,663

Post#158 » by JRoy » Wed May 22, 2024 3:50 pm

Magicman125 wrote:Any interest in taking Anthony Black and 2 1sts instead? (#18 in this year's draft plus the DEN 2025 pick). Black was a lottery pick, has shown good defense, a better than expected 3 (on low volume), but not ready to run an offense, which may be good next to Scoot and provides some size in your guard rotation. Plus then we'd free up your cap space for future moves.

Yes.

That would be great.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Post#159 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:04 pm

zzaj wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Team needs the next Maurice Lucas but that player is not in this draft, even if they had gotten

It’s easy to get rose-colored glasses over Lucas and other players we loved. It’s easy to forget that he had his best career years in Portland.

The game and player types were different then. Mo Lucas would likely be a foul prone limited scoring big in today’s game…basically Jabari Walker in size (6’9 220) And while Lucas was a better passer in a better system, Walker can hit 1 out of every 3 3pt attempts. And when you look at Jabari’s per 36…it’s pretty darned close. Lucas was a better positional defender, but PFs don’t play on the low block anymore. Lucas would get left in the dust or foul every possession playing in space against the modern NBA PF.

It's less to do with Luke but a big, physical player to put next to non physical players like Grant and Ayton.

A 6-9 version of Josh Hart would be ideal or just a guy who does all the "dirty" work, which is why I would not mind a
Clingan with the Blazers but those Drexler led teams were completed when Buck Williams went to Portland.

Skybox has been pounding the table all year for Simons to Orlando. However it gets done is fine with me.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#160 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 22, 2024 5:54 pm

Magicman125 wrote:Any interest in taking Anthony Black and 2 1sts instead? (#18 in this year's draft plus the DEN 2025 pick). Black was a lottery pick, has shown good defense, a better than expected 3 (on low volume), but not ready to run an offense, which may be good next to Scoot and provides some size in your guard rotation. Plus then we'd free up your cap space for future moves.

Yes and no take backs.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers