ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,562

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#441 » by zzaj » Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
I think you guys are sleeping a bit on the PG's (Reed, Dilly) going top 6, most of those teams need a PG, even Houston needs to groom someone to replace FVV, forgot to add Topic who very possibly goes Top 6

Yeah, I agree with you...I think at least one of the PGs is going to get taken. My vote is either Topic or Sheppard to San Antonio. Wemby has the defensive skill set to clean up a lot of defensive issues that a smaller guard might have.

PS. It's so interesting to me how the PG role has changed in the past 30 years. It used to be that 6'3" was a tall PG--most were 6'0"-6'2". Players like Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon, and Mark Price probably wouldn't get drafted in today's NBA.

Topic would have gone 4 on my board but he keeps hurting the same foot and the Spurs who also pick eighth in the
first round, don't have to gamble at 4 to get him.

Point of reference with the two UK guards.Simons back in 2019, measured out at 6-1.5 187 lbs, which means he at 19
was 25 lbs heavier than either the UK guards. Scoot measured out at 6-2 195 with a 6-9 WS

I'd like to see Portland draft Edey at 14. The guy is enormous at 7-4 299 lbs with a 7-11 WS and really looked good
in drills, showing off (like Clingan) a natural 3 point stroke.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the Topic knee injury is handled. If he actually is able to come back quickly like everyone is saying, I doubt it'll dampen his draft stock much, if at all.

I'll go on record as saying that I don't think Edey is going to last until 14. I think he's taken top 10. Right or wrong, teams are going to fall in love with his size, skillset and IQ in team workouts. They will look at MIN as a winning functional model for how to use a drop coverage big and go from there.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,992

Post#442 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 pm

zzaj wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:I think you guys are sleeping a bit on the PG's (Reed, Dilly) going top 6, most of those teams need a PG, even Houston needs to groom someone to replace FVV, forgot to add Topic who very possibly goes Top 6

Yeah, I agree with you...I think at least one of the PGs is going to get taken. My vote is either Topic or Sheppard to San Antonio. Wemby has the defensive skill set to clean up a lot of defensive issues that a smaller guard might have.

PS. It's so interesting to me how the PG role has changed in the past 30 years. It used to be that 6'3" was a tall PG--most were 6'0"-6'2". Players like Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon, and Mark Price probably wouldn't get drafted in today's NBA.

I considered one of the smaller guards or Topic to Houston or San Antonio, but my initial read is: (a) Houston has more pressing concerns than drafting a FVV clone/understudy, (b) San Antonio will take the best prospect regardless of position (I took a guess at Castle, but it could be Holland or Buzelis, too), and (c) Topic presently has injury uncertainty. Also, (d), I just don't think Sheppard or Dillingham will go as high as they've been mocked. Either one of them might end up being the steal people wished they hadn't passed on, but, going back to player archetypes, the small scoring guard is trending downwards. And, this draft being as barren of surefire contributors as it is, if you're gonna take on a project, shoot for the moon.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 556

Post#443 » by Goldbum » Thu May 16, 2024 8:29 pm

I was just talking to an Eastern conference scout who works for a lottery team. I thought it was interesting that he asked me to convince him that Cody Williams is a better prospect than Justin Edwards. I honestly struggled when he rebuttaled me. It was just a thought exercise, but pretty telling even if he ended up agreeing with me(he already did but wanted to hear my take).

My dream scenario now is:
One of Risacher, Holland, Buzelis, Castle@7
Salaun or Tyler Smith @14

Chomche and Dadite in Round 2
I also am really warming on Bona...

I don't know if they would do it but I would hope those guys play overseas another year, then we figure everything out once we capture the Flagg.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
zzaj
General Manager

Post#444 » by zzaj » Thu May 16, 2024 8:45 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:I think you guys are sleeping a bit on the PG's (Reed, Dilly) going top 6, most of those teams need a PG, even Houston needs to groom someone to replace FVV, forgot to add Topic who very possibly goes Top 6

I considered one of the smaller guards or Topic to Houston or San Antonio, but my initial read is: (a) Houston has more pressing concerns than drafting a FVV clone/understudy, (b) San Antonio will take the best prospect regardless of position (I took a guess at Castle, but it could be Holland or Buzelis, too), and (c) Topic presently has injury uncertainty. Also, (d), I just don't think Sheppard or Dillingham will go as high as they've been mocked. Either one of them might end up being the steal people wished they hadn't passed on, but, going back to player archetypes, the small scoring guard is trending downwards. And, this draft being as barren of surefire contributors as it is, if you're gonna take on a project, shoot for the moon.

Devils advocate...
For context, VanVleet measured 6' in shoes with a 6'1.5" wingspan. Sheppard measured at 6'1.75 barefoot (RDill was 6') and actually was a defensive playmaker in college because of his heads-up play. Both players are bigger than VanVleet.

Houston doesn't have a ton of needs, but PGotf is probably a way they will look in a relatively flat draft. San Antonio has low-key pressure to improve in the W:L column, given Wemby's quick rise to elite. PG there was a big issue for them...I think they'll go that direction too.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,025

Post#445 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 pm

Goldbum wrote:I was just talking to an Eastern conference scout who works for a lottery team. I thought it was interesting that he asked me to convince him that Cody Williams is a better prospect than Justin Edwards. I honestly struggled when he rebuttaled me. It was just a thought exercise, but pretty telling even if he ended up agreeing with me(he already did but wanted to hear my take).

I don't know if they would do it but I would hope those guys play overseas another year, then we figure everything out once we capture the Flagg.

I like most of these guys, but I am SUPER wary on Tyler Smith. His defensive awareness is monumentally bad. Like spin in a circle when he is asked to rotate on defense bad lol.

I would take Ware, Edey and Holmes over him. Really only has age on his side vs those guys.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Post#446 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:43 pm

Fred Van Fleet was an undrafted player in the 2016 draft but he was a solid 185-190 lbs, similar
to Simons. The two UK guards are smurfs

I think Reed Sheppard could go in the top six but he's very much in the mode of the small, scoring
guards that seem unpopular in the league. Dillingham had a sprained ankle and did not do any
testing but perhaps his workouts will raise his stock.

Houston has a real glut of forwards/wings and has Sengun and a returning Stephen Adams to play center.
They need a PG and could take Castle at 3.

SA badly needs a PG after trying Sochan at PG and could take Topic if he is healthy.

That would give Portland a shot at one of the forwards, probably Holland if Detroit takes a shooter
either Knecht or Sheppard at 5.

I think Portland could trade up quite easily from 7 if there was a player they really wanted in this draft.
I could see Portland targeting Buzelis and trading up to 5 to get him
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#447 » by Walton1one » Thu May 16, 2024 10:03 pm

Goldbum wrote:I was just talking to an Eastern conference scout who works for a lottery team. I thought it was interesting that he asked me to convince him that Cody Williams is a better prospect than Justin Edwards. I honestly struggled when he rebuttaled me. It was just a thought exercise, but pretty telling even if he ended up agreeing with me(he already did but wanted to hear my take.

This is a great point, not that I don't think Williams could be a good player, but I think he is raw, and the shooting percentages that people are judging his future NBA performance on are based on rather low attempts.

Here is a comparison (stats wise) of Williams\Holland. The measurements for both came in very close. I know a lot of people base potential 3pt% on FT%, would it surprise people to know that Holland shot a better FT% on more attempts (75.7 vs 71.4)? Williams also had better rebounding (6.6 vs 3.0), better assists & better steals (both double of Williams). Also, I don't think anyone would argue that the competition in the G-League is vastly superior to college.

The 3pt% is what people focus on, which is fair, Holland was 24% on 3.6 attempts, Williams was 41.5%, but on only 1.7 attempts. Now I would argue, based on FT%, level of competition LY, age, effort, that it is not out of the realm of possibility that Holland could improve that % to league average (36.6%).

I would also bet that if roles were reversed, better competiton, more 3pt shot attempts, that Williams 3pt% would be lower not higher than it was playing on Colorado, on low shot attempts. BTW, 41.5% if he maintained that would be top 20 in the NBA LY, could that be possible upside for Williams, maybe?

What I am trying to say is that I think Williams stats this year are a little bit of fools gold and that Holland's stats, particularly shooting are over emphasized, based on his usage\focus on being the #1 option @18yrs old on a whole mess of a team that was the Ignite in a professional league. Lastly, the whole brother of Jalen Williams spectre, being brother to a good NBA player is no real predictor of him being as good\better. If that was the case everyone would be jumping up & down about Kris Murray (not to be confused with Keegan). If Cody Williams was Cody Davis, would people still view him as highly, just based on his one uneven year in college? I don't think so.

Eyetest wise, I saw him play a couple of times, and my recollection is of a player who had some smooth looking drives\plays that were broken up by long stretches where he was invisible. Compare that to Stephon Castle on a loaded UCONN team, Dillingham\Sheppard on a loaded UK team (Oakland game notwithstanding...yikes), Risacher\Salaun playing PROFESSIONAL and Holland being the #1 option on the Ignite in the G-League.

So, yeah Williams could hit, I think he looks like a longer term project, but I sure would lean towards players who played & performed in more competitive leagues and contributed a lot more on the court than Williams has shown. Williams to me is a LOT of projection right now, all these players are in some respect, but some players have more (if's) than others, Williams seems that way to me. What other If's are there with Holland outside of his 3pt shooting?

Let's compare:

Cody Williams
PTS 11.9
REB 3.0
ASST 1.6
STEAL .7
BLK .6
FG% 55.2% (8.1 attempts)
3pt% 41.5% (1.7 attempts
FT% 71.4% (3.2 attempts)
MIN 28\g
USG 20.8

Ron Holland
PTS 20.6
REB 6.6
ASST 3.2
STEAL 2.5
BLK .7
FG% 44.3% (15.6 attempts)
3pt% 24.0% (3.6 attempts
FT% 75.7% (5.0 attempts)
MIN 33\g
USG 26.8
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 871

Post#448 » by tester551 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 pm

Goldbum wrote:I was just talking to an Eastern conference scout who works for a lottery team. I thought it was interesting that he asked me to convince him that Cody Williams is a better prospect than Justin Edwards. I honestly struggled when he rebuttaled me. It was just a thought exercise, but pretty telling even if he ended up agreeing with me(he already did but wanted to hear my take).

Agree with you at #7.

I think I'd prefer Ware or Edey at #14... but otherwise, Salaun or Smith make the most sense.

I really like Chomche and Dadite as well. I would lean toward AJ Johnson (being more explosive) as one of the second round picks. Nunez is going to be good too.

Outside of Holmes, that is basically the extent of the players I like in this class....

Curious, what are your thoughts (and your scout friend's) opinion on Ware? I just think his upside is too great not to make the gamble at #14. If he gets his head straight - he could be best player in the class. If he plays like he did at Indiana, he's at least a serviceable player in the mold of Christian Wood.

*** Edit - I got to watch some of the combine scrimmages tonight & Chomche doesn't have the athletic pop needed for me to like a prospect that raw. Im taking him off my board. ****
Felixians4
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#449 » by Felixians4 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:05 am

Jalen Williams is Cody bro. Jaylin Williams OKC and same draft colleague and Jaylen Williams coming to NBA maybe next year.

Mike Schimtz main for POR draft? Expect to flourish on this type so called weak draft. 2020 he made terrific job on ESPN interviewing prospects, recommend that to all you.

Not sure what you would do. Questions about Billups staying, Simons and Sharpe health, Time lord same, Henderson real or miss, but i know Trail Blazers soon will be fun and competent team.

2 lottery picks i will draft on your place: Kyshawn George, Tyler Kolek
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#450 » by Goldbum » Fri May 17, 2024 10:53 am

tester551 wrote:

Agree with you at #7.

I think I'd prefer Ware or Edey at #14... but otherwise, Salaun or Smith make the most sense.

I really like Chomche and Dadite as well. I would lean toward AJ Johnson (being more explosive) as one of the second round picks. Nunez is going to be good too.

Outside of Holmes, that is basically the extent of the players I like in this class....

Curious, what are your thoughts (and your scout friend's) opinion on Ware? I just think his upside is too great not to make the gamble at #14. If he gets his head straight - he could be best player in the class. If he plays like he did at Indiana, he's at least a serviceable player in the mold of Christian Wood.

*** Edit - I got to watch some of the combine scrimmages tonight & Chomche doesn't have the athletic pop needed for me to like a prospect that raw. Im taking him off my board. ****

I'm having some people over on Sunday for Brisket and Tenderloin, including 1 pro personnel scout, 1 college scout and a front office executive (plus wives and a bunch of people who don't watch sports) so I'll ask then.
1 thing I didn't mention is that teams (at least this one) believe Schmitz has a blind spot and a "type". Reddish, Dieng, Banton, etc. He said they've talked about Portland over valuing those guys and he thinks we will continue to overpay for that archtype until 1 hits.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,883

Post#451 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri May 17, 2024 2:21 pm

Goldbum wrote:
tester551 wrote:

Agree with you at #7.

I'm having some people over on Sunday for Brisket and Tenderloin, including 1 pro personnel scout, 1 college scout and a front office executive (plus wives and a bunch of people who don't watch sports) so I'll ask then.
1 thing I didn't mention is that teams (at least this one) believe Schmitz has a blind spot and a "type". Reddish, Dieng, Banton, etc. He said they've talked about Portland over valuing those guys and he thinks we will continue to overpay for that archtype until 1 hits.

I think that's fair. I think a lot of front offices do and so do fans. Always wanting to look for the next wing of that type or the springy big.

Right now I'm on the Castle/Matas/Saluan, two of these three if possible, rotation.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#452 » by tester551 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:07 pm

Goldbum wrote:
tester551 wrote:

Agree with you at #7.

Oh - 100% agree he has a blind spot.
You could put Ayton & Murray on that list too.

That's also why I think Williams and Ware/Salaun are the 3 players most likely to be picked.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - I don't think he values the personality/competitiveness side of player evaluation as much as he should.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#453 » by Goldbum » Fri May 17, 2024 7:38 pm

Lol well I thought people would get miffed that teams see a blind spot... I don't know if I agree, but if it's Williams at 7 over Holland/Castle then we know... I REALLY hope my buddies are wrong and just smack talking a bit...but these guys know more about hoops than I ever will.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#454 » by zzaj » Fri May 17, 2024 10:25 pm

Goldbum wrote:Lol well I thought people would get miffed that teams see a blind spot... I don't know if I agree, but if it's Williams at 7 over Holland/Castle then we know... I REALLY hope my buddies are wrong and just smack talking a bit...but these guys know more about hoops than I ever will.

I can't speak to any one person's or organization's "blind spots"...but it's pretty clear what archetype in the past 10 years has brought success to teams. My guess is that GMs for the most part are looking for the next Kawhi or prime Durant, so they are extending on those player types in order to hopefully hit on one.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,785

Post#455 » by Case2012 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:42 am

Portland never drafts for motor. Who was the last guy we drafted with an insane motor/will to win? Dame?

I've come around to Holland lately. Love his 2 way motor and Castle gives me Jimmy Butler vibes. Sucks none of these guys can really shoot. Another guy in that vein that i would like to move into the first for (although he might be around early in the 2nd) is Ryan Dunn. Might be the best defender in the draft and he's 3/4 tweener like Holland. Pairing those 2 in the starting line up with Scoot and Sharpe who are good defenders themselves would give this team a great defensive identity in addition to Murray, Thybulle, Walker, and Camara off the bench.
Instagram: @casetwelve
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#456 » by TheDraftGuy » Sat May 18, 2024 7:43 am

Goldbum wrote:I'm having some people over on Sunday for Brisket and Tenderloin, including 1 pro personnel scout, 1 college scout and a front office executive (plus wives and a bunch of people who don't watch sports) so I'll ask then.

Well, it's too bad he didn't take Amen, then, since he solves all of Portland's problems with POA defense, rebounding, playmaking, secondary ball handler, glue guy archetype, ridiculous FG% in transition (had the #1 transition FG% in the world, across all leagues and HS/college, prior to the draft iirc).

That said, they're probably not wrong. If you read Schmitz's old report on Draftexpress regarding Giannis, he seemed to have a fondness for the type of player Giannis embodied....lengthy, athletic, fluid movements that allow shot creation, body control, ball handling, attack the rim, make reads, make plays, defense, transition coast to coast, super efficient inside.

In theory, that is the type of player Portland needs.

And I think Cody Williams is that archetype more than anyone else in the draft (yes, above Sarr, Salaun, and Holland) but not so athletic and freakish like Giannis. Body control is VERY fluid, deceptive athleticism, can use contact to create separation, on ball defense, lengthy, good shot selection/efficiency (makes him passive but 75% at rim, 71% right baseline), elite transition, some ball handling, some playmaking potential, high IQ, great communicator, catch and shoot capability (50+% eFG, semi-limited 40% from 3).

Only needs to tighten his handles so he can get to his spots better and create space. That's the crux of his passiveness (so is his affinity for good shot selection). Hand size is also questionable but still larger than Cam Whitmore.

I only hope Schmitz doesn't psyche himself out now because these tools aren't really teachable. Wings/forwards don't just develop ball handling and fluidity just because they work hard at it and even if they do, they also have to somehow learn how to angle their body and use contact to create separation. It's just unheard of. I've never heard of a player developing all this if they didn't already have it.

Hence, Giannis already had it as an 18 year old. McGrady, too. A late riser like Siakam was already noted to having this prior to the draft.

This isn't a dig on your buddies but let's remember that pro scouts, draft experts, GMs all let Giannis go....just like they let Kawhi or Paul George or Siakam go (and Tari Eason is one I liked too that fell, we'll see how he ends up). Some cognitive bias exists in these institutions and its people to not recognize this type.

It's the same reason why the all-around All-Star SG type always fall past their worth despite consistently being Top 2 in a redraft. That's MJ, Drexler, Kobe, Roy, Wade, Vince, Richmond, Harden, hopefully Sharpe....and even Edwards was considered a weak #1 pick and was often mocked at #3. There's a bias to assume that just because a SG isn't dominant at one to two traits and is more all-around, they must be ineffective due them not being some super ball handler of a guard (usually, they're described as "can handle the ball but needs to tighten it up") or some great shooter. Their profiles always reads that they're just athletic and have well-rounded skillsets (good at everything but nothing great stands out) with fluid motion and quick first steps......nothing more...nothing like, "Hey, the only other profile that accurately matches it is the All-Star SG from several drafts ago and then, the one from prior to that too."

So, I think that's my issue with scouting and professional analysts. There isn't a deep enough understanding of archetypes and how certain players are usually already predetermined based on said archetype and the more items that they check off on the checklist of a particular ideal archetype, the closer you get to finding a star. I think there is a major fallacy nowadays in modern people in assuming that people are completely blank slates and can grow into a role. Not that they can't develop new strengths or mitigate weaknesses but rather, in the NBA, there is a disregard for things that are already set from Day 1. To suddenly develop a weakness into a world class skill is like asking the average Joe to suddenly become a 40% 3pt shooter....probably not going to happen.

So, if they already have these skills and some unique moves and some efficiency, you go with upside.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#457 » by Goldbum » Sat May 18, 2024 6:46 pm

If we could take Cody with #14 I would be all in. I just don't trust him to be able to guard 3s in the league. Banton can't play SF because he's too thin, buy he weighed what 18lbs more than Cody? The intrigue comes from that efficiency in important spaces on the floor, but he's a low volume reluctant shooter. It's almost like he has family in the in league and knows what scouts are looking for... I feel like his low volume is indicative of a lack of confidence and that efficiency drops like a stone if he takes more difficult shots (like Holland/Risacher and Buzelis did). The at r finishes are nice though, if we pick him I'll be pissed then talk myself into it.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#458 » by tester551 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:01 pm

Goldbum wrote:If we could take Cody with #14 I would be all in. I just don't trust him to be able to guard 3s in the league. Banton can't play SF because he's too thin, buy he weighed what 18lbs more than Cody? The intrigue comes from that efficiency in important spaces on the floor, but he's a low volume reluctant shooter. It's almost like he has family in the in league and knows what scouts are looking for... I feel like his low volume is indicative of a lack of confidence and that efficiency drops like a stone if he takes more difficult shots (like Holland/Risacher and Buzelis did). The at r finishes are nice though, if we pick him I'll be pissed then talk myself into it.

To me the biggest concern is the lack of aggression.

Cody is too passive. That's not something that is easy to change. This passiveness shows up in low rebounds, assists, & steals.

Portland already has the 'best case' developed Cody on the roster. His name is Jerami Grant.

Grant is a nice complementary piece, but he's not an impact #1 or #2 player on a roster.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,183

Post#459 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat May 18, 2024 10:01 pm

FWIW I am not sure we should be shooting for a #1/#2 type player in this draft. That guy by all accounts is just not there and it would suck to draft a long-shot bust hoping to turn coal into diamond.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,025

Post#460 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 am

It’s pretty striking when you realize Cody needs to put on 32 pounds to be Jerami Grant size.

Ziaire Williams was an absolute twig coming out and still measured a full 10lbs heavier than Cody.

I generally don’t lean heavily on weight when evaluating a prospect but the type of work ethic needed to get from 178 to 210 is pretty substantial and IDK if the laid back type of guy that Cody seems to be will be up to that task.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers