ImageImageImage

Game 37: Phoenix Suns (19-17) @ LA Clippers (22-13) | Monday | 8:30PM

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,131

Re: Game 37: Phoenix Suns (19-17) @ LA Clippers (22-13) | Monday | 8:30PM 

Post#141 » by garrick » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:23 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Vogel should be benching Nurkic at this point. His effort level to start this game was beyond inexcusable. Set an example to the rest of the team. Start Bol for a game.

Why isn't Azubuike getting any minutes?

You know that at least he isn't blowing a wide open layup or dunk under the rim like bum Nurkic.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,322

Post#142 » by DirtyDez » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:25 am

I’m almost at the point of saying **** it make Isiah the coach.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#143 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:25 am

garrick wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:Vogel should be benching Nurkic at this point. His effort level to start this game was beyond inexcusable. Set an example to the rest of the team. Start Bol for a game.

You know that at least he isn't blowing a wide open layup or dunk under the rim like bum Nurkic.

Azubuke at least plays hard. We should be playing the guys who play hard. No exceptions.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,749

Post#144 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:26 am

garrick wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Golanator wrote:
I think we could have a coaching staff of prime Pop, Phil Jackson and Erik Spoelstra and they would struggle with this team. The defense is a disaster. All 3 stars don't want to shoot 3's. We can't rebound. We have 3 elite mid range guys, which great, but it's still not a great shot when the other team has a layup line and shoots >50% from deep.

It's fantasy land and neither Beal (NTC) or Toronto would do this but Beal for Siakam I think would help a lot. Play KD at the 3. We need to play bigger like the Nuggets have with Jokic/Gordon/MPJ.

I love Book but I'm also ready to move past the Point Book experiment. The issue is we have no options there either.

My view now is that if we're not playing great defense anyway, we might as well try and be elite at offense. It was mentioned that Vogel's defensive schemes are complex and needs time to really get across it but I kind of think we should just simplify it as much as possible and just go all out offensively. We're not going to win many games being middle of the pack defensively and outside the top 10 offensively so we might as well throw caution to the wind and do whatever we can get to get into the top 5 in offense even at the expense of being a bottom 10 defensive team.

I don't think Vogel is the kind of coach that would endorse and run that kind of system which is why I think we may need to just make a call on his Suns tenure. I highly doubt D'Antoni is keen to get back into coaching at 72 but if we're not playing great D we might as well hand the reigns to one of the most balls to the wall offense coach in NBA history.

I don't even know why Ishbia/Thomas chose Vogel as the head coach as he wasn't ever known as a great offensive coach and our roster doesn't suggest that we are going to be an elite defensive team anytime soon. It's just one of the many curious and disastrous decisions our glorious owner has made which is backfiring spectacularly.

I don't know but if I were to guess, the roster's biggest weakness on paper was defense. I think most expected us to be pretty damn good offensively just off the backs off the Big 3 (and the stats do show they are a very good 5 man unit) so it's a matter of shoring up our defense so that it's at least passable. The best man for that job is probably a defensive mind coach in Vogel and having an "offensive genius" in Young was suppose to maximise our offense. Neither of those are happening right now
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,751

Post#145 » by Revived » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:31 am

I think Mike Budenholzer would be an upgrade over Vogel. Budenholzer has some warts in playoffs basketball but at least he has an actual system and even with the warts, he won a chip.
Revived
RealGM

Post#146 » by Revived » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:38 am

The best thing the Suns can do is blow it up honestly. Salvage value and trade KD out. Maybe to Houston and get back picks plus 2 or 3 of any of their players besides Sengun.

Then make Bradley Beal very uncomfortable, uncomfortable enough to where he’s willing to waive his NTC and send him to Miami for just expirings and maybe 1 pick or something.

If Booker is down to stay and re-group then great otherwise if he demands off too then trade him also to highest bidder.

This current nucleus is not a winning one. It’s better to realize that sooner and get some value back than wait too long and get nothing cause players all became too damn old.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#147 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:38 am

Suns fans:

Revived
RealGM

Post#148 » by Revived » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:42 am

Bradley Beal averaged over SIX 3pt attempts per game for his career before joining the Suns. He’s averaging THREE 3pt attempts per game for the Suns.

He’s even had seasons where he averaged EIGHT 3pt attempts per game.

Tell me again about the genius that is Kevin Young.

Our “star” players take the most inefficient shot in basketball…the midrange.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Post#149 » by Golanator » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:45 am

Revived wrote:Bradley Beal averaged over SIX 3pt attempts per game for his career before joining the Suns. He’s averaging THREE 3pt attempts per game for the Suns.

He’s even had seasons where he averaged EIGHT 3pt attempts per game.

Tell me again about the genius that is Kevin Young.

Our “star” players take the most inefficient shot in basketball…the midrange.

Kevin Young sucks, but it's not his fault our star players don't want to shoot 3's.

Look at Luka. Averaging over 10 attempts this season. He gets it.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,159

Post#150 » by sunsbg » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:54 am

Damn. The hope they'll turn it around with all of Big 3 playing disappeared fast.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#151 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:56 am

sunsbg wrote:Damn. The hope they'll turn it around with all of Big 3 playing disappeared fast.

That hope disappeared after the watching our team the first 10 games. You just knew deep inside this team isn’t a contender not even a pretender. They’re an average .500 team that will get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,862

Post#152 » by SkyBill40 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:00 am

This season is pretty much done for and if we somehow manage to win 40+ games, I'd call that a true accomplishment. FFS. This train wreck is so incredibly bad. Funny how Ishbia was all about being a visible figure and making his voice known, but now he's seemingly absent and coffin like quiet.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#153 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:08 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
garrick wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:My view now is that if we're not playing great defense anyway, we might as well try and be elite at offense. It was mentioned that Vogel's defensive schemes are complex and needs time to really get across it but I kind of think we should just simplify it as much as possible and just go all out offensively. We're not going to win many games being middle of the pack defensively and outside the top 10 offensively so we might as well throw caution to the wind and do whatever we can get to get into the top 5 in offense even at the expense of being a bottom 10 defensive team.

I don't think Vogel is the kind of coach that would endorse and run that kind of system which is why I think we may need to just make a call on his Suns tenure. I highly doubt D'Antoni is keen to get back into coaching at 72 but if we're not playing great D we might as well hand the reigns to one of the most balls to the wall offense coach in NBA history.

I don't even know why Ishbia/Thomas chose Vogel as the head coach as he wasn't ever known as a great offensive coach and our roster doesn't suggest that we are going to be an elite defensive team anytime soon. It's just one of the many curious and disastrous decisions our glorious owner has made which is backfiring spectacularly.

I don't know but if I were to guess, the roster's biggest weakness on paper was defense. I think most expected us to be pretty damn good offensively just off the backs off the Big 3 (and the stats do show they are a very good 5 man unit) so it's a matter of shoring up our defense so that it's at least passable. The best man for that job is probably a defensive mind coach in Vogel and having an "offensive genius" in Young was suppose to maximise our offense. Neither of those are happening right now

The "Vogel's defense takes time" crowd is wrong. His defenses in his years of coaching have improved frm the 25% mark to the end of season in NBA rank only like one or 2 times. Most of the times his defense gets progressively worse as the season goes on.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,973

Post#154 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:22 am

Revived wrote:I think Mike Budenholzer would be an upgrade over Vogel. Budenholzer has some warts in playoffs basketball but at least he has an actual system and even with the warts, he won a chip.

I am pretty sure that Ishbia is gonna give Vogel a few more games to see if this season can be saved but if that's not the case he will be fired around the trade deadline.

It's easier to fire the coaching staff than changing the core of this roster.

Yeah, Budenholzer makes sense because he is available, has already won a championship and he is from Arizona. He checks so many boxes.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#155 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:54 am

Saberestar wrote:
Revived wrote:I think Mike Budenholzer would be an upgrade over Vogel. Budenholzer has some warts in playoffs basketball but at least he has an actual system and even with the warts, he won a chip.

I am pretty sure that Ishbia is gonna give Vogel a few more games to see if this season can be saved but if that's not the case he will be fired around the trade deadline.

Yeah, Budenholzer makes sense because he is available, has already won a championship and he is from Arizona. He checks so many boxes.

Budeholzer + D'Antoni
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,312

Post#156 » by Slim Charless » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:01 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Budeholzer + D'Antoni

:roll:

You guys are wildly reaching and reactionary. Coach Bud should've lost the Finals to us, was a KD foot over the line non 3 pointer away from getting fired....and blew last years MIL team's chances to smithereens with endless dumb choices. I understand he had some very serious personal stuff to deal with. But you know what? Take the time off.

Coach Bud is no one's savior.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#157 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:07 am

Slim Charless wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I am pretty sure that Ishbia is gonna give Vogel a few more games to see if this season can be saved but if that's not the case he will be fired around the trade deadline.

Budeholzer + D'Antoni

You guys are wildly reaching and reactionary. Coach Bud should've lost the Finals to us, was a KD foot over the line non 3 pointer away from getting fired....and blew last years MIL team's chances to smithereens with endless dumb choices. I understand he had some very serious personal stuff to deal with. But you know what? Take the time off.

Don't care. He's a clear, clear upgrade over Vogel
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,017

Post#158 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:13 am

Qwigglez wrote:
Golanator wrote:We might be in trouble. I don't know how you can fix this.

Is it possible to fix?
Suns put all of their eggs into one basket and now the eggs are rotten. We don't have any draft capital, we don't have any youth, we don't have any cap space. A new coach might be refreshing, but we aren't getting a Tyron Lue clone.
Suns seriously need to find it within themselves. The issue is, I don't recall any team just turning things around, and while I don't think the players will resent each other, they will simply just ask to be traded. There is no accountability anymore.

That Celtics team that made the finals was like 21-21 before they turned it around, but they had a dude in Marcus Smart that laid into them and called them out. Suns don't have that guy right now.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,973

Post#159 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:13 am

Slim Charless wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I am pretty sure that Ishbia is gonna give Vogel a few more games to see if this season can be saved but if that's not the case he will be fired around the trade deadline.

Budeholzer + D'Antoni

If this team goes to the trade deadline with a 21W-25L record or something like I doubt Ishbia stays pat and doesn't fire Vogel.

At that point...who is better and available than Budenholzer? I know Doc Rivers was considered as a HC in the summer but I prefer Budenholzer over him.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,017

Post#160 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:23 am

garrick wrote:

Illness was what I heard on the broadcast. And Bol Bol is out with a twisted ankle.

Return to Phoenix Suns