ImageImageImage

Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Of the final 4 teams, who are you pulling for to win it all?

Celtics
17%
Mavs
44%
Pacers
11%
Timberwolves
28%

Total votes: 18

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Re: Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series 

Post#421 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri May 17, 2024 9:11 am

TeamTragic wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:Wolves getting smashed so I guess Vogel was dog **** and KD being pissed was justified.

JUSTICE

Wolves still spank our azz in 4/5 games even if we had Bud, Spo, Popovich. It’s not about the coach but the way our team is constructed. Wake up and smell the covfee Tragic.

I'm not getting your point. We got swept and everyone was pretending the Wolves are a super team when in reality Vogel is a garbage tier coach.

Time to stop making excuses and hire a coaching staff that is actually relevant in the NBA today.

My point is no matter who coaches us this season we aren’t beating the wolves team. Look what they’re are doing to the world champs so far? They’ve blown them out three times already with their hard nosed defense. The Suns aren’t constructed that way or have players who buy into doing the dirty work at all costs to win playoff games. Bud is a heck of a coach but the west is packed. Unless Suns get a decent pg and trade one of Booker/KD for some good role players well then I don’t see us making past the first round again.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,300

Post#422 » by Calvin Klein » Fri May 17, 2024 11:08 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:Wolves getting smashed so I guess Vogel was dog **** and KD being pissed was justified.

JUSTICE

Wolves still spank our azz in 4/5 games even if we had Bud, Spo, Popovich. It’s not about the coach but the way our team is constructed. Wake up and smell the covfee Tragic.

This is a spot on assessment!
Our issues run much deeper than just the coach. Our roster construction is horribly flawed with redundancy and positional weaknesses that have gone unaddressed for years and have quite predictably been exploited as many have previously discussed here. On top of that, our culture is complete garbage too, in that we're both soft mentally and physically with no fight, no hunger, no sense of urgency and no professionalism.

Then we trade our promising young core that was ironically equally as close to contention as this faux super team just so the new ownership can make a splashy But very shortsighted move to try and clout chase. Our front office is horribly incompetent. They have no real plans or strategy aside from trying to copy the Prokorov Nets and the recent Brooklyn nets gimmick that failed so badly. They completely lack ingenuity, vision and foresight.

They gave us a lame duck coach who wasn't their first or even 2nd choice in Vogel, and added no legit depth or proper roster balance. Only three redundant one way players eating up 90% of the teams flexibility. This trainwreck is just leaving the station too, and we're all prisoners along for the ride until it derails spectacularly. Long painful rebuild lies ahead! But at least as suns fans, we all share in the misery and idiocy together. :wink:

SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#423 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri May 17, 2024 11:09 am

Calvin Klein wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:

Our issues run much deeper than just the coach. Our roster construction is horribly flawed with redundancy and positional weaknesses that have gone unaddressed for years and have quite predictably been exploited as many have previously discussed here. On top of that, our culture is complete garbage too, in that we're both soft mentally and physically with no fight, no hunger, no sense of urgency and no professionalism.

Then we trade our promising young core that was ironically equally as close to contention as this faux super team just so the new ownership can make a splashy But very shortsighted move to try and clout chase. Our front office is horribly incompetent. They have no real plans or strategy aside from trying to copy the Prokorov Nets and the recent Brooklyn nets gimmick that failed so badly. They completely lack ingenuity, vision and foresight.

They gave us a lame duck coach who wasn't their first or even 2nd choice in Vogel, and added no legit depth or proper roster balance. Only three redundant one way players eating up 90% of the teams flexibility. This trainwreck is just leaving the station too, and we're all prisoners along for the ride until it derails spectacularly. Long painful rebuild lies ahead! But at least as suns fans, we all share in the misery and idiocy together. :wink:

RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#424 » by RaisingArizona » Fri May 17, 2024 2:50 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,052

Post#425 » by TeamTragic » Fri May 17, 2024 5:12 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:

I'm not getting your point. We got swept and everyone was pretending the Wolves are a super team when in reality Vogel is a garbage tier coach.

Time to stop making excuses and hire a coaching staff that is actually relevant in the NBA today.

My point is no matter who coaches us this season we aren’t beating the wolves team. Look what they’re are doing to the world champs so far? They’ve blown them out three times already with their hard nosed defense. The Suns aren’t constructed that way or have players who buy into doing the dirty work at all costs to win playoff games. Bud is a heck of a coach but the west is packed. Unless Suns get a decent pg and trade one of Booker/KD for some good role players well then I don’t see us making past the first round again.

We did not get blown out three times by the Wolves though we didn't win a single game against them.

Are you saying that we are better than the Nuggets? Blowing out the Nuggets doesn't mean much in a competitive series heading for a final game.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,339

Post#426 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 18, 2024 6:00 am

RaisingArizona wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

You guys are far too negative. Get a PG and someone who can legit defense on this team. 2 guys who know they're there to make life hard for the other team and make life easy for our guys. Boom. Problem solved. That's all we need.

Bonus points if they can convince Beal to come off the bench.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,890

Post#427 » by Qwigglez » Sat May 18, 2024 7:18 pm

Slim Charless wrote:

You guys are far too negative. Get a PG and someone who can legit defense on this team. 2 guys who know they're there to make life hard for the other team and make life easy for our guys. Boom. Problem solved. That's all we need.

I just want some hungry young players off the bench who can exceed in their role. I'm tired of seeing teams go for vet role players and thinking they are going to make a significant impact on the team. I feel like we see that every year for as long as I've been watching basketball. I remember the Lakers getting Karl Malone and Gary Payton up until the Suns grabbing EG, Thad Young. Sure, these guys can help, but not as much you think IMO. Last year the Nuggets had Bruce Brown who played a large contribution into them winning a championship. Year before, Poole, Wiggins, even Looney helped the Warriors win a ship. Year before that, Bobby Portis with the Bucks.

The point I'm making is, I think getting these older veterans is the only play in James Jones wheelhouse this past offseason, or actually I suppose I'd blame Vogel more since Jones actually did grab Bol Bol, and kept Okogie, and it was Vogel that decided to just play the veterans. I am hopeful coach Bud can better utilize the talent of the players we have as I don't think the roster is as bad as most think. Little probably could have been more impactful as well.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,209

Post#428 » by garrick » Sun May 19, 2024 1:56 am

Qwigglez wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I just want some hungry young players off the bench who can exceed in their role. I'm tired of seeing teams go for vet role players and thinking they are going to make a significant impact on the team. I feel like we see that every year for as long as I've been watching basketball. I remember the Lakers getting Karl Malone and Gary Payton up until the Suns grabbing EG, Thad Young. Sure, these guys can help, but not as much you think IMO. Last year the Nuggets had Bruce Brown who played a large contribution into them winning a championship. Year before, Poole, Wiggins, even Looney helped the Warriors win a ship. Year before that, Bobby Portis with the Bucks.

The point I'm making is, I think getting these older veterans is the only play in James Jones wheelhouse this past offseason, or actually I suppose I'd blame Vogel more since Jones actually did grab Bol Bol, and kept Okogie, and it was Vogel that decided to just play the veterans. I am hopeful coach Bud can better utilize the talent of the players we have as I don't think the roster is as bad as most think. Little probably could have been more impactful as well.

Jones almost always consistently loses out on finding free agents or trade targets that can actually help us so either his scouting or evaluation team is lacking or he's just a moron.

These are the players off the top of my head that he failed to either attempt to sign or trade for.

1. Bruce Brown
2. Danny Gafford
3. PJ Washingon
4. Derrick Jones JR
5. Kelly Oubre
6. Dennis Schroeder
7. Aaron Gordon
8. Donte Divincenzo
9. Josh Hart
10 . Isaiah Hartenstein

Any one of these players would have been great contributors on our team on reasonable salaries so the fact that JJ has consistently missed amassing any kind of talent via free agency is a pretty damning indictment on him & his lack of ability to evaluate talent.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,486

Post#429 » by sunskerr » Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 am

Shai nooo
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Post#430 » by Revived » Sun May 19, 2024 2:45 am

Ishbia would never able to understand the importance of acquiring role players like Gafford and PJ Washington lol, he’d rather burn those first rd picks on washed up stars I’m sure.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,890

Post#431 » by Qwigglez » Sun May 19, 2024 3:04 am

sunskerr wrote:Shai nooo

It's clear the Thunder need to pair SGA with another star. ;)

Meanwhile, the Mavs hit some home runs. DJJ crushing it this season. Lively was probably the best pick the Mavs could have made. Gafford and PJ Washington were solid mid-season trade acquisitions.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#432 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 am

Qwigglez wrote:

Meanwhile, the Mavs hit some home runs. DJJ crushing it this season. Lively was probably the best pick the Mavs could have made. Gafford and PJ Washington were solid mid-season trade acquisitions.

The Thunder is prime for a big trade. I'd love it to be Durant but think we're keeping him. Nurk would fit well with them. He can play inside off Chet-allowing him to roam. They have the cap room to straight absorb him too.

I'd do it for their 1st this yr(#12) and maybe a cpl 2nds later on down the line.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,817

Post#433 » by sunsbum » Sun May 19, 2024 3:30 am

Nice seeing rookies contribute in deep playoff runs, I can't believe he was a 7th grader.
I hate this team.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,486

Post#434 » by sunskerr » Sun May 19, 2024 3:34 am

Qwigglez wrote:

Williams just turned 23 his time will come.

If this series happens next year I think OKC wins even if they don't make any changes. My prediction before the season began was something like OKC will be the best team in the league in two or so seasons at most and they're not far off at all, if not ahead.

But their weaknesses are pretty obvious and an offseason of internal improvement + some roster tweaks and they'll be insanely good.

Dallas made such a smart move last year tanking down the stretch to save their pick. A lot of people don't like to admit it but tanking works. Can't ever see Jones having the skill to navigate a one year period with the surgical precision the mavs had adding talent like they did with Kyrie, and then tanking for Lively, and adding more role players in trades.

Maybe we should have just gone after Kyrie. He was a lot cheaper.
Son of Ra
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,054

Post#435 » by Son of Ra » Sun May 19, 2024 5:40 am

How, as Ishbia, do you watch this Dallas-OKC game and say:

a)"yeah, we can beat those teams with our roster, no problem. (They're jealous of us)" and
b) wHo wAnTs 7th GrAdErS?

We're so ****.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,222

Post#436 » by sunsbg » Sun May 19, 2024 6:13 am

Yeah Mavs rookie and two other role players won them the game at the end. After the trade deadline they became a very balanced team. Ishbia and Jones better have learned something out of it.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#437 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 19, 2024 7:16 am

Qwigglez wrote:

I think they're a great team to make a move for Jimmy Butler. Send Miami Giddey, Dort and whatever picks are needed.

Thunder have enough youth to let Jimmy rest as much as he wants in the regular season. Then he can do Playoff Jimmy stuff. Miami can revamp Giddey via Spo Magic.

Then OKC just needs a big body that play along side Chet. Someone who can rebound the ball really well and who's team has a dire need to cut cost and add draft picks.........wonder who that could be??
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,222

Post#438 » by sunsbg » Sun May 19, 2024 7:43 am

Giddey, Dort and whatever picks are needed for 34yo Butler sounds a lot like KD trade. Doubt OKC do that. They need to upgrade Giddey though and they have all the assets to get it done, so OKC will only get better.
Son of Ra
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,054

Post#439 » by Son of Ra » Sun May 19, 2024 9:12 am

sunsbg wrote:Giddey, Dort and whatever picks are needed for 34yo Butler sounds a lot like KD trade. Doubt OKC do that. They need to upgrade Giddey though and they have all the assets to get it done, so OKC will only get better.

And the truth is, if I could choose between Butler and KD straight up I'd take Butler every time.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#440 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun May 19, 2024 9:25 am

$100 on Nuggets & Pacers ML if I lose I can’t afford to pay rent next month. :cry:

Return to Phoenix Suns