Master of Tweets
And1: 6,945

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#1061 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 18, 2024 2:33 am

TeamTragic wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Spoiler:

Matt Tellem and now a point guard (Beverley). I don't know much about the former but it sounds like Ishbia is making the right changes.

What exactly has Tellem done for the Nets?

He convinced the Nets brass to ONLY trade KD for Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, and 27 1st round picks. He mentioned that he knew Ishbia would eventually fold and take the offer. :lol:

TBH, I have no clue.

That KD trade didn't make the Nets better and they lost their 2024 pick to the Rockets. Mikal and Cam are not those dudes.

They don't have a single pick in this draft and Simmons on the hook for 40M this upcoming season.

So I again I ask what has Tellem done for the Nets franchise.

Matt Tellem is being brought in basically because his area of expertise is as a capologist to theoretically help the Suns front office navigate their current condition under the new CBA. He's a capologist and vice president of basketball strategy, that focuses primarily on those situations.
https://www.netsdaily.com/2024/5/17/24159482/macmahon-brooklyn-nets-capologist-matt-tellem-headed-to-phoenix

MacMahon: Brooklyn Nets capologist Matt Tellem headed to Phoenix
Matt Tellem, whose Nets tenure goes back to the Rod Thorn era, is leaving Brooklyn for the Phoenix Suns.

By Net Income
May 17, 2024, 10:09pm

ESPN’s Tim MacMahon reports Friday that Matt Tellem, the Brooklyn Nets long time capologist, is near signing with the Phoenix Suns…

Tellem was recently elevated to Vice-President for Strategy. Bobby Marks who as a Nets assistant GM hired Tellem in the team’s New Jersey days described him as “One of the top salary cap/strategy executives in the NBA.”

Tellem, whose father is Arn Tellem, Vice-chair of the Detroit Pistons, began as a basketball information coordinator for the Nets and rose through the ranks under Thorn, Billy King, and Sean Marks. He was instrumental in the cap manipulations that permitted Brooklyn to sign Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, DeAndre Jordan, and Nic Claxton. In the post-Big Three era, he’s helped engineer trades that generated tens of millions of dollars in trade exceptions.

His departure is the third major one since the end of the regular season following those of assistant GM Jeff Peterson and basketball operations director Ryan Gisriel, both of whom joined the Charlotte Hornets.

In that same period, the Nets have added Jordi Fernandez as head coach, as well as Steve Hetzel and Juwan Howard as assistant coaches, and Justin Howard as Gisriel’s replacement.

So basically, He's a very clever cap expert that the suns brass are hoping can help them cleverly strategize/ navigate/ manipulate the new CBA to allow them to have more options as they try to ride this "BIG Three" gimmick until the wheels come off completely!

This is basically a low-key way of admitting (without taking accountability and admitting openly) that they recognize that they're in trouble because of the decisions they made and need help to come up with workable plans. :-?
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,890

Post#1062 » by Qwigglez » Sat May 18, 2024 2:37 am

Is there a scenario where CP3 isn't a free agent? I could see the Warriors opting into his $30 million salary in order to use it as a trade asset in salary-matching. I have a hard time seeing the Warriors waiving CP3 since they won't have very much money to offer any free agents anything anyway.

Also... saying the Suns need a PG, does that mean Beal and Booker are SG / SF? I don't mind Grayson Allen off the bench as I feel like he is a bit short as the starting SF.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,209

Post#1063 » by garrick » Sat May 18, 2024 2:39 am

TeamTragic wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Spoiler:

Matt Tellem and now a point guard (Beverley). I don't know much about the former but it sounds like Ishbia is making the right changes.

He convinced the Nets brass to ONLY trade KD for Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, and 27 1st round picks. He mentioned that he knew Ishbia would eventually fold and take the offer. :lol:

TBH, I have no clue.

That KD trade didn't make the Nets better and they lost their 2024 pick to the Rockets. Mikal and Cam are not those dudes.

They don't have a single pick in this draft and Simmons on the hook for 40M this upcoming season.

It's a bit misleading because Ben Simmons was out for most of the year and their roster is just super inadequate, had Ben Simmons been healthy that would have been a more balanced roster.

The Nets also had traded away most of their immediate picks but got them back with the KD trade and if they draft smart they could pick up some solid players, even better is if the Suns miss the playoffs in the year the Nets have our pick there's always a chance they could move up n the lottery ala the Hawks.

Nets weren't going anywhere with KD so a rebuild makes much more sense for them, they just really need to commit to a rebuild because the roster they have is not really good enough to compete in the playoffs.

Brooklyn is a primer market so in the future it's not like they won't be in the running to sign a major free agent.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1064 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 18, 2024 2:48 am

Qwigglez wrote:Is there a scenario where CP3 isn't a free agent? I could see the Warriors opting into his $30 million salary in order to use it as a trade asset in salary-matching. I have a hard time seeing the Warriors waiving CP3 since they won't have very much money to offer any free agents anything anyway.

Also... saying the Suns need a PG, does that mean Beal and Booker are SG / SF? I don't mind Grayson Allen off the bench as I feel like he is a bit short as the starting SF.

I also think they'll try and find a trade using Pauls' contract, BUT if they can't find a good deal, then they might just decide to start cutting a bit off their tax line. And honestly, what they're referencing with we should have one so we can be versatile is most likely a solid backup option that they can stagger situationally at times if needed in order to table set for at least two of the big three, but also keep the bench options fully engaged? :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1065 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 18, 2024 2:53 am

Iceman36
Sophomore
And1: 320

Post#1066 » by Iceman36 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:57 am

Just finished the press conference and man,I didnˋt realize BUD is such a great and classy guy! I was caught from his presence and emotion/enthusiasm from the first moment he hit the scene. His pure joy to be the coach of his „own“ beloved franchise was infectious and nearly brought me to tears. He is definetively the right guy for the next years to come, even if we have to rebuild. And the icing on the cake is, in his first presser he adressed the needs for this team, which we are discussing in here for months.

Mike looks skinny, focused and full of energy. The year off, though it was hard for him family wise, did him good.

He brought back my fire for my beloved franchise with just one appearance. Wow! I hope he does the same with his new players, because Basketball competence wise there is on discussion that BUD is one of the best.

Just so happy, we have him here now. He was my favorite before signing Vogel last season. Glad we ended the mistake Vogel after just one year. And I believe, other than many guys in here, coaching is the most important part for a franchise to be succesfull. Saw it with my other teams in the last 30 years…
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,222

Post#1067 » by sunsbg » Sat May 18, 2024 5:47 am

"We need to be able to play without one. We probably need to be able to have one. We need to be versatile -- play different ways." .. and then proceeds to play ISO ball all season.

Jk, hope they figure out the playmaking part and are watchable next season.
zappenduster
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#1068 » by zappenduster » Sat May 18, 2024 6:49 am

As there are rumours about Jarrett is on the trading block you guys think there might be any chance we could get him in a nurkic deal?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,020

Post#1069 » by Saberestar » Sat May 18, 2024 7:05 am

Iceman36 wrote:Just finished the press conference and man,I didnˋt realize BUD is such a great and classy guy! I was caught from his presence and emotion/enthusiasm from the first moment he hit the scene. His pure joy to be the coach of his „own“ beloved franchise was infectious and nearly brought me to tears. He is definetively the right guy for the next years to come, even if we have to rebuild. And the icing on the cake is, in his first presser he adressed the needs for this team, which we are discussing in here for months.

Mike looks skinny, focused and full of energy. The year off, though it was hard for him family wise, did him good.

He brought back my fire for my beloved franchise with just one appearance. Wow! I hope he does the same with his new players, because Basketball competence wise there is on discussion that BUD is one of the best.

Just so happy, we have him here now. He was my favorite before signing Vogel last season. Glad we ended the mistake Vogel after just one year. And I believe, other than many guys in here, coaching is the most important part for a franchise to be succesfull. Saw it with my other teams in the last 30 years…

Absolutely.

Budenholzer is a clear upgrade over Vogel as a HC and his roots make him the perfect fit as a Suns HC.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#1070 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 18, 2024 7:49 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:This news should make everyone feel much better about the front office's commitment to acquiring a solid point guard!!! :lol:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-heat-suns-favored-to-sign-patrick-beverley-if-not-the-bucks

Lakers, Heat, Suns, favored to sign Patrick Beverley if not the Bucks

Where is Patrick Beverly going to end up during this offseason and is it just a sure thing he ends up in Milwaukee?

By Jake Faigus
May 17, 2024, at 8:01 PM ET

Where is Patrick Beverley going to end up during this offseason and is it just a sure thing he ends up in Milwaukee? He has expressed a desire to stay in Milwaukee, but he also has said he wants a raise and the Bucks might not be able to offer him the amount he wants. On that end, it will be up to the business of the NBA to decide what happens with Beverley and he has said that publicly on his podcast. It is also worth noting that Patrick Beverley did not fill up the stat sheet a lot this past season. He averaged 6.2 points per game, 3.3 rebounds per game, 2.9 assists per game, and 41.7% from the field. On defense, he averaged 0.6 steals and 0.4 blocks per game this past season.

Phoenix Suns (+850):

This is the least likely contender he could go to. The Suns need a point guard and he would add some much-needed toughness to a team that needs it. However, the Suns can offer the least amount of money financially. The Suns have the most expensive roster in the NBA and are only able to offer the veteran minimum contract to any team this offseason. They have a new coach in Mike Budenholzer who is going to help get things going offensively. Beverley is exactly the type of tough veteran that the Suns need, but if he wants money, they can not offer much.

Where is the best fit for Patrick Beverley?
The best fit overall for Patrick Beverley is the Bucks. However, the Suns are next up because they need help on defense on the perimeter and in the backcourt. If he can get over the money factor, the Suns are the best fit based on team needs. He was already on the Lakers and the Heat have a few question marks this offseason.

I’ll stop being a suns fan for good. :lol:
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Post#1071 » by Bogyo » Sat May 18, 2024 7:52 am

Saberestar wrote:
Iceman36 wrote:Just finished the press conference and man,I didnˋt realize BUD is such a great and classy guy! I was caught from his presence and emotion/enthusiasm from the first moment he hit the scene. His pure joy to be the coach of his „own“ beloved franchise was infectious and nearly brought me to tears. He is definetively the right guy for the next years to come, even if we have to rebuild. And the icing on the cake is, in his first presser he adressed the needs for this team, which we are discussing in here for months.

Absolutely.

Budenholzer is a clear upgrade over Vogel as a HC and his roots make him the perfect fit as a Suns HC.

Should be a better coach than Vogel. HOWEVER, I do not see how the Snake or the Wannabekobe would like demanding coach who holds them accountable. Same goes for shooting more 3s (hooray for "middy"), or playing faster (hooray for "halfcourt iso"), or actually trying on defense (hooray for barking at the 12th guy not running back, when you do the same sht 9 out of 10 times). So its gonna be the same old sht all over again.

I just hope JJ will be fired first, then a competent GM will trade the two clowns, and coach Bud can actually do his job with players who listens.
# waiting for the next chapter
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,890

Post#1072 » by Qwigglez » Sat May 18, 2024 8:55 am

So ideally, I think we should hope that EG, Okogie, Lee, and Eubanks all opt-in for the 2024-25 season. That gives the Suns roughly $12 million in expiring contracts.
David Roddy has a club option for the 2025-26 season so his $2.9 million for 2024-25 season could be treated as a expiring contract as well.
Bol Bol returning would be optimal IMO, and I think he'd get tremendous use from Bud as head coach, so I'm hoping he comes back. Royce O'Neal I hope returns too, mostly because the Suns are already over the cap and his contract would likely be in the $12-16 million range per year range. I would also want to try to nab Mo Bamba, who is another player I think would benefit playing under coach Bud. I'd move Nurkic to the bench.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,436

Post#1073 » by Puff » Sat May 18, 2024 8:58 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honeslty, I think the two most realistic options are CP3 or Cam Payne + a draftee.

If we draft a PG, I hope we can convince CP3 to come back as a PG and mentor to the new rook.

I would love CP3 back, but it is not going to happen. Bud wants to play fast and shoot 3's. CP3 wants to walk it up and shoot in the mid-range. He also could try to change the message that Bud is going to attempt to get across. Bud appears to be the leader we have needed with this group. We do not need mixed messages.

My choice is Payne. He plays fast and shoots threes, I think he would like to return to the valley, and we can afford him. I would love him back.

I also think we need to keep Nurk and use our draft pick on an active aggressive 4/5. There seems to be several guys that could be available for us. Dallas keeps running free bigs in an out of the lineup and killing it in the paint. We need to find a version of Likely.

We also need to keep O'Neale.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1074 » by Saberestar » Sat May 18, 2024 11:58 am

TeamTragic wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Spoiler:

TBH, I have no clue.

Michael Tellem is his brother and he is an NBA agent.

Who is one of his few NBA players? Dorian Finney-Smith "casually" on the Nets (where his brother was working until this offseason).

What about Nurkic ($18.1M) for Dorian Finney-Smith ($15M) + KBD ($2.6M)?

I think both players have neutral value around the league so no need to add picks for either side.

We would get an athletic wing with good size who has a high motor and it's a nice defensive payer. Good player to pair next to KD at 3/4.

We can think about adding a C later with our #22 and Little or Eubanks for example.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1075 » by Saberestar » Sat May 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#1076 » by RaisingArizona » Sat May 18, 2024 3:39 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

TBH, I have no clue.

Matt Tellem is being brought in basically because his area of expertise is as a capologist to theoretically help the Suns front office navigate their current condition under the new CBA. He's a capologist and vice president of basketball strategy, that focuses primarily on those situations.
https://www.netsdaily.com/2024/5/17/24159482/macmahon-brooklyn-nets-capologist-matt-tellem-headed-to-phoenix

MacMahon: Brooklyn Nets capologist Matt Tellem headed to Phoenix
Matt Tellem, whose Nets tenure goes back to the Rod Thorn era, is leaving Brooklyn for the Phoenix Suns.

By Net Income
May 17, 2024, 10:09pm

ESPN’s Tim MacMahon reports Friday that Matt Tellem, the Brooklyn Nets long time capologist, is near signing with the Phoenix Suns…

Tellem was recently elevated to Vice-President for Strategy. Bobby Marks who as a Nets assistant GM hired Tellem in the team’s New Jersey days described him as “One of the top salary cap/strategy executives in the NBA.”

Tellem, whose father is Arn Tellem, Vice-chair of the Detroit Pistons, began as a basketball information coordinator for the Nets and rose through the ranks under Thorn, Billy King, and Sean Marks. He was instrumental in the cap manipulations that permitted Brooklyn to sign Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, DeAndre Jordan, and Nic Claxton. In the post-Big Three era, he’s helped engineer trades that generated tens of millions of dollars in trade exceptions.

His departure is the third major one since the end of the regular season following those of assistant GM Jeff Peterson and basketball operations director Ryan Gisriel, both of whom joined the Charlotte Hornets.

In that same period, the Nets have added Jordi Fernandez as head coach, as well as Steve Hetzel and Juwan Howard as assistant coaches, and Justin Howard as Gisriel’s replacement.

So basically, He's a very clever cap expert that the suns brass are hoping can help them cleverly strategize/ navigate/ manipulate the new CBA to allow them to have more options as they try to ride this "BIG Three" gimmick until the wheels come off completely!

This is basically a low-key way of admitting (without taking accountability and admitting openly) that they recognize that they're in trouble because of the decisions they made and need help to come up with workable plans. :-?

Wish they just hired a realgm who knew what he was doing but I suppose this is a good plan b.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1077 » by Saberestar » Sat May 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

If that's a direct quote then it means little. The key word there is "and"....which to me means multiple players.

....as in there's no possibility of trading more than 1 of them. As opposed to him saying "or" as in "there's no possibility we trade Durant, Booker OR Beal"

Basically he can still trade 1 of them and keep to his word.

Or I'm just reading into this and believing in a pipe dream of us cashing out on Booker or Durant while the cashing out is good.

Forget about that...

Read on Twitter
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,222

Post#1078 » by sunsbg » Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm

'Or' for start of season. May turn into 'and' by mid season. We'll see.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,459

Post#1079 » by dremill24 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:24 pm

zappenduster wrote:As there are rumours about Jarrett is on the trading block you guys think there might be any chance we could get him in a nurkic deal?

Nope
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,436

Post#1080 » by Puff » Sat May 18, 2024 11:46 pm

Another trade suggestion that just will not work is that of trading Nurkic. If we do trade him, we must get a big in return. In addition all the names mentioned make more than Nurkic and we cannot take anyone that has a bigger salary than Nurkic. If when we attach a draft pick that adds salary to the equation maybe we can trade him for a guy like Capella or Allen.

I think Nurkic could be useful in Bud's offense. Of course he needs to work on his 3 point shot. I view a Mix of Nurkic, Eubanks and a draft pick being rotated in and out to always have a fresh body on the court along with 18 fouls.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:

Return to Phoenix Suns