German National Football Team Thread (Nationalmannschaft)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Re: German National Football Team Thread (Nationalmannschaft) 

Post#541 » by cgf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:53 pm

magik9113 wrote:
No_20 wrote:
magik9113 wrote:but seriously, the fact that everyone seems to be only just hyping up this Germany taboo vs Italy is going to make me bet serious money on Germany beating us this summer if/when we play. It isn't as if this wasn't a fact in 2012 when no one was talking about it

Not true. It was very much a talking point in Germany before the 2012 SF. People wanted you to lose to England, because Germany has a much better record against them in tournaments.

But tbf I think 2012 was the first time that you were clear underdogs against Germany. In 06' you had a much better team on paper than Germany, the only thing that made that game even was the home field advantage.

I mean you arent some tinpot nation. The only teams who have a dominant record against you are Croatia and Brazil.

I don't remember all the hype back then, maybe it was more apparent in Germany. I do remember constantly hearing about, IIRC, back in '06 how the Germans never lost in Dortmund.

in 2012 we were underdogs but the way people [mostly germans] speak about it they make it seem like we were as bad as we are now. this is a very good lineup:
Gianluigi Buffon; Federico Balzaretti, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini; Andrea Pirlo; Claudio Marchisio, Riccardo Montolivo, Daniele De Rossi; Mario Balotelli, Antonio Cassano.
in 2012 Cassano, Montolivo, Balotelli, Pirlo, De Rossi were all world class players...Juve's 3 defenders plus buffon what more do I need to say about them...Marchisio as well. Balzaretti was aight.
Meanwhile you guys started Podolski and Gomez

It gets brought up on our end just about every time we play you. Don't remember how it was in the english-language press, but your record against us was often brought up in the german papers in the lead-up to both the 2012 & '06 match-ups.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,183

Post#542 » by magik9113 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:56 am

DD12 wrote:
magik9113 wrote:
Foye wrote:Cassano and world class? Holy cow the term world class is used inflationary these days.
He was a star for sure but world class seems a bit far-fetched for a guy who was regularly relegated to a spectator role among the stands in Bernabeu.

need I list the many many players who sat in the stands there?
Cassano one of the most underrated Italian players of all time

He has never been a world class player. He was just a good player at his best.

Was world class besides his years at Madrid
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#543 » by magik9113 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:58 am

No_20 wrote:
magik9113 wrote:
No_20 wrote:Not true. It was very much a talking point in Germany before the 2012 SF. People wanted you to lose to England, because Germany has a much better record against them in tournaments.

But tbf I think 2012 was the first time that you were clear underdogs against Germany. In 06' you had a much better team on paper than Germany, the only thing that made that game even was the home field advantage.

I mean you arent some tinpot nation. The only teams who have a dominant record against you are Croatia and Brazil.

I don't remember all the hype back then, maybe it was more apparent in Germany. I do remember constantly hearing about, IIRC, back in '06 how the Germans never lost in Dortmund.

in 2012 we were underdogs but the way people [mostly germans] speak about it they make it seem like we were as bad as we are now. this is a very good lineup:
Gianluigi Buffon; Federico Balzaretti, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini; Andrea Pirlo; Claudio Marchisio, Riccardo Montolivo, Daniele De Rossi; Mario Balotelli, Antonio Cassano.
in 2012 Cassano, Montolivo, Balotelli, Pirlo, De Rossi were all world class players...Juve's 3 defenders plus buffon what more do I need to say about them...Marchisio as well. Balzaretti was aight.

No, Buffon and Pirlo were he main reason you beat Germany in 06' and 12'. Man, Buffon was so good that WC in Germany. Not as great as Kahn in 2002 but definitely better than Neuer in 2014 imo. Only conceded twice that tournament: A silly own goal from Zaccardo against USA and a pen from Zidane in the final that just about crossed the line.

Interesting that Buffon is the most respected Italian footballer in Germany, while Pirlo is the most respected in England and Del Piero or Totti is in Spain.

Yea because a team goes undefeated in the World Cup only because of two players.....
And how could I possibly respect this post when you don't even mention Cannavaro?
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#544 » by DD12 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:57 am

magik9113 wrote:
DD12 wrote:
magik9113 wrote:need I list the many many players who sat in the stands there?
Cassano one of the most underrated Italian players of all time

He has never been a world class player. He was just a good player at his best.

Was world class besides his years at Madrid

Of course you can believe that if you would want to but it is far from the truth. Cassano has never been a star player let alone superstar. He was a good player at his best.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#545 » by No_20 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:43 am

magik9113 wrote:
No_20 wrote:
magik9113 wrote:I don't remember all the hype back then, maybe it was more apparent in Germany. I do remember constantly hearing about, IIRC, back in '06 how the Germans never lost in Dortmund.

No, Buffon and Pirlo were he main reason you beat Germany in 06' and 12'. Man, Buffon was so good that WC in Germany. Not as great as Kahn in 2002 but definitely better than Neuer in 2014 imo. Only conceded twice that tournament: A silly own goal from Zaccardo against USA and a pen from Zidane in the final that just about crossed the line.

Interesting that Buffon is the most respected Italian footballer in Germany, while Pirlo is the most respected in England and Del Piero or Totti is in Spain.

Yea because a team goes undefeated in the World Cup only because of two players.....
And how could I possibly respect this post when you don't even mention Cannavaro?

Cannavaro = Image
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,493

Post#546 » by Foye » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:25 pm

As if Cannavaro was the only guy doping. I bet football is as rotten as cycling. The difference being Fifa and Uefa intentionally trying to hide those problems because theres way too much money involved and a huge scandal would cost billions of revenue.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#547 » by magik9113 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:43 pm

No_20 wrote:
magik9113 wrote:
No_20 wrote:No, Buffon and Pirlo were he main reason you beat Germany in 06' and 12'. Man, Buffon was so good that WC in Germany. Not as great as Kahn in 2002 but definitely better than Neuer in 2014 imo. Only conceded twice that tournament: A silly own goal from Zaccardo against USA and a pen from Zidane in the final that just about crossed the line.

Cannavaro = Image

Haters gon hate
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#548 » by DD12 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Cannavaro is probably the best defender i have ever watched in his prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cgf
RealGM

Post#549 » by cgf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Cannavaro was great, but he wasn't Nesta or Maldini great, and I'd take Thiago Silva over him amongst players who are still active.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

No_20
Veteran

Post#550 » by No_20 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Foye wrote:As if Cannavaro was the only guy doping. I bet football is as rotten as cycling. The difference being Fifa and Uefa intentionally trying to hide those problems because theres way too much money involved and a huge scandal would cost billions of revenue.

I think it's even worse in American sports. But networks like ESPN, Fox etc. are not allowed by NFL an NBA to report about it. It would be a disaster for the networks and the leagues if they found out LeBron James was juicing for example.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
No_20
Veteran

Post#551 » by No_20 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:44 pm

cgf wrote:Cannavaro was great, but he wasn't Nesta or Maldini great, and I'd take Thiago Silva over him amongst players who are still active.

Pique is better than T. Silva by far. Spain never conceded a goal in the KO rounds with Pique.

Boateng could be up there if he continues to perform in the next years. Doubt he will every be as good as Pique or some of the Italian defenders you named.
cgf
RealGM

Post#552 » by cgf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:52 pm

No_20 wrote:
cgf wrote:Cannavaro was great, but he wasn't Nesta or Maldini great, and I'd take Thiago Silva over him amongst players who are still active.

Pique is better than T. Silva by far. Spain never conceded a goal in the KO rounds with Pique.

Boateng could be up there if he continues to perform in the next years. Doubt he will every be as good as Pique or some of the Italian defenders you named.

lol, you're better than Massi sometimes. :lol:

Boateng's really impressed with the way he's evolved under Pep, and he's certainly one of the best CBs on the planet; if not the best right now; but he's not hit the level Thiago Silva used to be at. Boa has the skills & physical gifts to get there, if he keeps making massive strides after Pep leaves, and he's the superior passer...but Thiago Silva in his prime was a one-man lock-down defense, who was good in possession and comfortable operating very high up the pitch...Even if he's never been in the same class as the likes of Boateng/Bonucci/Hummels with the ball at his feet.

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#553 » by magik9113 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:36 pm

I would agree that Nesta was better than Cannavaro overall, but Cannavaro's performances with Juve and Italy in '05-'06 were unrivaled as far as I'm concerned. He had friggin Materazzi next to him in the world cup because Nesta couldn't stay healthy and he still manged to help Buffon never get scored on.

Thiago Silva back when he was undisputed best CB in the world IMO also was on another planet...crazy how it wasn't all that long ago when Nesta and T.Silva were starting for Milan together.

Right now I say Bonucci is best CB--something I never would have predicted five years ago--but I assume since Juve got knocked out by Bayern it would take another strong euro from Italy for ppl outside of Italy to give him that title.
cgf
RealGM

Post#554 » by cgf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:30 pm

magik9113 wrote:I would agree that Nesta was better than Cannavaro overall, but Cannavaro's performances with Juve and Italy in '05-'06 were unrivaled as far as I'm concerned. He had friggin Materazzi next to him in the world cup because Nesta couldn't stay healthy and he still manged to help Buffon never get scored on.

Thiago Silva back when he was undisputed best CB in the world IMO also was on another planet...crazy how it wasn't all that long ago when Nesta and T.Silva were starting for Milan together.

Right now I say Bonucci is best CB--something I never would have predicted five years ago--but I assume since Juve got knocked out by Bayern it would take another strong euro from Italy for ppl outside of Italy to give him that title.

Cannavaro-at-his-best versus Silva-at-his-best versus Nesta-at-his-best is just too hard for me too call. I feel like Nesta's prime was so long that picking any few stretch of it is doing a disservice to him, and Silva's best was so dominant over his peers that it's tough for me to even imagine how to decide this. Both were utterly brilliant technicians defensively, with tremendous understanding for the game. Cannavaro's anticipation may have been a tick better, but Silva's advantage in athleticism and ball skills closes that gap.

As for the best right now: It's between Bonucci and Boateng for me, at least based on club form over the past two years. Cause if Hummels builds off of his excellent form since the winterbreak to play as well in the Euros as he did at the WC, he'll put himself back into this discussion; nor is Silva all that far off even on the back end of his illustrious carry, or too old to have another peak season; Ramos has the talent and experience to play at that level, when he can suppress his natural impulses to do something stupid; and even Pique could be in the mix again...if Shakira dumped his ass so that he had a reason to give a **** about football again, lucky bastard...but I've been enamored with Bonucci's passing since before it was cool. :-p I'm surprised that you didn't rate him that highly.

I know there were sloppy periods and boneheaded mistakes along the way, but he's flash the skill and creativity/vision since I first noticed him & remembered his name. Sorta how Laporte, Varane, Marquinhos, & Tah, are nowhere near consistent/reliable/experienced enough to be in this discussion yet; but when you watch them now, you don't often need long to notice the talent and intelligence of footballers who no one should be surprised to find in this discussion 3-4 years from now.

EDIT:
David Luis was really impressing me last year, seemed to really come into his own next to Thiago Silva & soak up a lot from the legend. Haven't seen much Ligue 1 this year to know if he's built on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he deserved a mention alongside B&B if he has.

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#555 » by magik9113 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:58 pm

I agree with all of that.

As for Bonucci he was so error prone his first couple seasons at Juve and deflected so many shots into the net when trying to block them. His passing was crap also...he really learned a lot from playing right behind Pirlo.
Juve fans were upset we missed out Ranocchia and got him instead, what a blessing that was.
Shout out to Barzagli for being consistently a great CB since 06
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#556 » by DD12 » Fri Apr 1, 2016 3:19 am

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Thiago Silva is still the best CB in the world.

He is young but I also like Varane very much.
No_20
Veteran

Post#557 » by No_20 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:22 pm

Looks like Jogi will pick Schweinsteiger in the Euro squad.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#558 » by Det the Threat » Sun May 29, 2016 8:59 am

The team will be playing Slovakia in todays friendly and it will be the chance for the youngsters to shine.

They'll also be without Hummels, Schweinsteiger, Bellarabi, Neuer, Müller, Özil and Reus for this one.
And it also seems like Hummels will miss the first game of the Euros thanks to his injury.

Should be an interesting tournament with injured guys/injury prone guys(Hummels, Schweinsteiger, Khedira) having to get in game shape during the tournament and without a real right back. Though, I guess Höwedes can take over that role, after being the LB of the world cup winning side.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#559 » by HIF » Sun May 29, 2016 12:09 pm

No_20 wrote:Looks like Jogi will pick Schweinsteiger in the Euro squad.

He looked really poor in the EPL this season.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,493

Post#560 » by Foye » Sun May 29, 2016 6:54 pm

...my lone comment for todays game is that it's incredible that guys like ter Stegen and Leno are ahead of Karius and Trapp in the rotation for goalkeepers. Incredibly stupid.

ter Stegen once again with a school boys mistake. It's about time he gets replaced.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXpL1_HElM[/youtube]

Return to The General Soccer Board