ImageImageImage

Free agent targets

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Free agent targets 

Post#1 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Just curious how much cap room you guys will have this summer and who you think your GM will target.

Josh Smith is a RFA and it appears right now you guys are the only ones who can make a big offer. I just wanted to see how much interest is there.

Thanks
THFM
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by THFM » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:44 pm

We have between 10-12 million cap room depending how much the cap room goes up this year, and how much bonus we get for staying under the cap. Also if we do more trades we can free up even more making us the top dog in free agency. I think if the Sixers do target Josh Smith there going to offer him between 10-12 million. Basically if we got the money i think you guys are going to lose Josh Smith if thats the guy ED goes after.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#3 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:52 pm

I believe the Sixers will use the cap space they have in a trade and not in a signing. That said, I think Josh Smith is the free agent (restricted or not) that Stefanski is most likely to go after if he goes that route.

Unfortunately for the Hawks, I believe that they'll have to overspend for Josh whereas I think teams like the Bulls (Deng and Gordon) and the Sixers (Iguodala) will be able to play hardball with their RFAs since their options will be limited.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#4 » by corwin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

I'd just add that it all depends on where they draft & who is available. I could also see the Sixers going after Arenas if Washington isn't willing to pay the freight.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,280

Post#5 » by BadWolf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Why would Hawks not match anything for Josh is beyond my comprehension, he's the player that fills the seats.
Sixers don't really need Josh, well, not at that price. They have Thad Young that can fill that role, he's more 3 then 4, but so was Josh, and his shot is way better. Frankly, Josh is a bit redundant with AI2 and Thad on the team, though that lineup would make a fan out of me. If Philly somehow snaps Josh, they're actually in danger of losing AI2 to the very same Hawks as they'll have a ton of capspace and no player to spend it on.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#6 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 pm

BTW- if we start at 12M next year that means a 5 year 77M offer, which is very close to a max contract for Smith. I wonder if that is why Ed says he doesn't really need more cap space...

After we sign a FA, we can sign Dala to whatever we want- since we will have his Bird rights (not that we should go past 5 yr 55M.)

I don't think Smith justifies that kind of money, but I don't run the Sixers.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by SendEm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:43 pm

I think Stephanski would sign Antwan Jamison over Josh Smith. Antwan is a better scorer, shooter, and rebounder. Josh Smith just blocks shots from the weakside. We already have Sammy for that. I don't believe that two weakside shotblockers can work...
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#8 » by sec-106 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:53 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I believe the Sixers will use the cap space they have in a trade and not in a signing.

My thought, too.

I'm hoping ES gets creative with those #1's, as well.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#9 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 pm

When the Suns hit the market for a 12M trade exception... that's Amare.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:01 pm

When the Suns look to avoid the tax,
and the Sixers are the only team under the cap....

THAT'S AMARE!
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#11 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:16 pm

SendEm wrote:I think Stephanski would sign Antwan Jamison over Josh Smith. Antwan is a better scorer, shooter, and rebounder. Josh Smith just blocks shots from the weakside. We already have Sammy for that. I don't believe that two weakside shotblockers can work...

I can see that happening too. I'm not too high on Jamison, because of age, but if we drafted him it would be smart to draft a young PF to play behind him, to take over when he gets too old.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 pm

Jamison will be 32 at the start of next season. I have no interest in Jamison considering the fact that his production is going to drop off in a big way sooner than later and by the time our team is ready to do something, he'll be just another bad contract.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#13 » by freshie2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 am

It's a tough call...not that there are ever an excess of quality players available as FAs, but this year just doesn't have any FA players at PF that really fit the Sixers need. Brand would have been great, but his injury scares me. Okafor is a definite upgrade, but at what cost. Smith is a tremendous athlete, but really not a PF (nor a good shooter). Arenas is damaged goods and too big a risk for a big deal. There are young RFAs, but that is a gamble as well.

Best bet may be a trade using the cap space they gain in the off season. Can't see Amare being dealt, but Gasol has been rumored for a long time. Can they get lucky and pick him up for a high draft pick and some players who are at lower salaries?? It doesn't make a ton of sense, but crazier things have happened.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#14 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 am

BadWolf wrote:Why would Hawks not match anything for Josh is beyond my comprehension, he's the player that fills the seats.

Briefly put, our ownership is a mess. I won't go too far into details but 7 guys bought the team together and their finances weren't that strong to begin with.

They had a blowup over the JJ trade and now 1 owner who owns 30% of the team is trying to buy out the others (due to some circumstances and technicalities in the contract that i won't bore you with). He doesn't have to pay any of the teams expenses while the legal process is going on. The other 6 owners have to pay all the expenses in addition to their legal bills. plus they have to consider the uncertainty of the court outcome.

So many of us are unsure whether or not they will pony up for Smith.

I don't see Smith as a very good fit next to Daly which is why i haven't been too worried about Smith getting a big offer from Philly.

Thanks for your thoughts.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#15 » by LieCheatSteal » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 pm

It's looking more and more like a weak FA class this year. Brand, coming off a serious injury, may pick up his option. Arenas is also coming off a somewhat serious injury so I can see him pick up his option this year. Calderon and Monte Ellis seem like the best available but Calderon won't be had for less than 7 mill (anything close to the mid level, Colangelo will match). So Ellis, maybe, I can see but you have Louis Williams here already so the backcourt could be a tad small with those two.
Two years from being two years away.
omeloon
Starter

Post#16 » by omeloon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am

Yeah, I'm guessing Bryan goes as high as $10 mill for Calderon, wouldn't be too surprised if he went even higher. If you guys plan on using your cap space via trade, I think you should at least make an offer for Calderon or Josh Smith - if only to drive up their prices. Forcing either team to pay up for their free agents will definitely hold them back from improving the roster other ways... and both teams are two of Philly's biggest competitors in a few years. If the Raps or Hawks don't match at least you guys have a young, valuable starter!!
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#17 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:47 pm

I don't see Calderon leaving Toronto, but could definitely see the Hawks management letting Smith leave. Calderon fills more of a long term need than Smith, but probably neither player is here next year.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#18 » by dbodner » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:15 pm

and how much bonus we get for staying under the cap

That's not a consideration. Any bonuses received (and I believe the bonus is for staying under the luxury tax, IIRC) doesn't get applied to your cap. It's just a bonus.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
SendEm
Banned User

Post#19 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:06 pm

If the Sixers sign Josh Smith they will be ensuring that they remain OFF of the road to a Championship.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers