ImageImageImage

Our Future PG? Miller? Williams? or another?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Trade Miller?

Yes, trade him, Louis Williams is our PG now!
54%
No, Louis Williams is not ready to run the team.
23%
Yes, only if we can sign or get a better PG, Lou is not our future PG.
23%

Total votes: 26

newcoachtime
Sophomore
And1: 0

Our Future PG? Miller? Williams? or another? 

Post#1 » by newcoachtime » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:56 am

Do you guys really think Lou will even make a great PG? I'm just not sold enough to trade Miller without knowing we can score a guy a good as Miller. I really don't think Louis Williams is even close to being able to run the team as PG.

If we did trade Miller, the free agent I like is Jose Calderon, he is amazing, he never turns the ball over and can shoot lights out, I think he will get even better. Toronto made a commitment to TJ Ford to play point, Calderon only started when TJ got hurt, so I can't see them paying both 8 million. So I think he will end up someplace other than Toronto.

Who else out there would you want to run the offense if we trade Miller and Lou is not ready?
FA Point Guards available
Gilbert Arenas (ETO) Looks like he might opt out, unless his knee is shot.
Jose Calderon (R)
Shaun Livingston (R)
Louis Williams (R)
Carlos Arroyo
Chris Duhon
Sebastian Telfair (R)
Keyon Dooling

I would easily trade Miller if I knew we could sign Calderon for 8 million, Miller makes what 10 next year?
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#2 » by SendEm » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:02 am

Louis Williams looks more and more to me like a guard that needs to become more 3 pointer oriented and drive whenever his man closes out too fast. His crossover is very average for a guard that naturally wants to drive the ball to the hoop. He'll never be a PG unless he fashions his game in the Derek Fisher mold. He still pounds the ball far too much.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by SendEm » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:06 am

Jose Calderon is one hell of a backup PG. He plays better than like 95% of the starting PG's in the league, but he plays european style defense, that just will never get it done on a team looking to win a championship. He's quick enough and agile enough to stay with his man but he's just never a factor.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#4 » by Wilfried » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:29 am

I think Lou Will will never be a starting pg. I like him a lot, but the guy is a scorer and never will be a floor general.

I like him as a sixth man (Ben Gorden - Vinnie Johnson)
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#5 » by ITK9 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:33 am

Andre Miller can still play 4 good years.if we can give him 2-3 years extension this summer 20 mil/3 years he should be our pg.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,895

Post#6 » by bebopdeluxe » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:25 pm

I voted no...but my vote would be better characterized as "no - keep Miller, run Lou as a 30 mpg, instant-offense combo guard, and find a 3rd, more Bruce Bowen/Raja Bell defense-first SG to fill out the rotation."
philbe311
Starter

Re: Our Future PG? Miller? Williams? or another? 

Post#7 » by philbe311 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:30 pm

newcoachtime wrote:Who else out there would you want to run the offense if we trade Miller and Lou is not ready?

Derrick Rose - Highly unlikely

Darren Collison - a player that is off to a rough start due to injury, that will likely be drafted from late lottery into the late teens... A player I would target and move up for if he's available around 15...
jackg27
Ballboy

Post#8 » by jackg27 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:17 pm

I like how Lou has matured over the last few years, and even throughout this season. He played decent last night against the Nuggets w/ 7 assits and 10 pts in 27 minutes. I also think that we are a young team and while Miller's help is undeniable I think when we have a shot its going to be Lou at the helm and not Miller. Trade Miller get either a draft pick or package together a group to get a good PF. Thats just my two cents though.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#9 » by tk76 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:24 pm

Keep Miller for now- unless someone blows us away with a great off (like TT.)

Play Lou 30 minutes (1/2 pt 1/2 SG). I believe that Lou as a future as our starting pg, but for the next 12 months I'm fine with him playing mixed minutes and continuing to learn from Mo and Miller how to be a better PG.
jackg27
Ballboy

Post#10 » by jackg27 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:32 pm

I would agree with that. I like how he is starting to finally get some quality minutes, and is learning the offense. I also think its perfect that the has a true point guard like Miller to learn from.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:14 pm

What more can he learn, then he already has? He's spent 3 years in Philadelphia. All while "listening" to people and riding the pine.

Louis Williams is a Natural Basketball Talent. That on it's own, if developed on the court, should've made the transition easier for him to become a point guard. If "listening" to people hasn't worked(and I damn well know it hasn't, to be better at something you have to GET better, not "listen" to people), then it's time to play him 30+ mins. Bye bye Green.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#12 » by tk76 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:51 pm

This is about what I posted last year:

It helps that if he is makiing mistakes or in a funk at PG that he can be shifted to SG for a few minutes (or given some time to digest what has happened while on the bench) and then go out and try again. 15-20 min at PG is probably ideal for him and the team right now (and the other minutes at SG.)

If Lou was running at the point 35+ min per game I think he would improve by trial and error, but it might be harder for the coaches to direct that improvement- and it might lead to a disjointed offense at the expense of the development of our young players (currently Young and Smith.)

At least that is how I felt last spring. I think Lou is really close to being able to be given the riegns, but I don't mind us waiting a bit longer- especaially if he is getting good playing time.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:59 pm

It's not that hard for them to start Willie Green now is it?
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#14 » by LieCheatSteal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:33 pm

Move Miller now. Time to throw Williams into the fire. This would be a positive move on many levels. First of all, you figure out how much Williams is worth, seeing he's a FA. Secondly, you see how the team is really like without a top notch point guard creating. Does Dalembert have an offensive game? Is Iggy the real go-to guy that can create for himself. Is Cheeks a coach that can guide a young team with a young PG at the helm? These questions need to be addressed. I think Miller's presence makes answering these questions about this team very difficult. Worse case scenario, this team tanks it but gets some cap space to sign some FAs and gets a high draft pick.
Two years from being two years away.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#15 » by bigdavid » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:54 pm

We have already made one stupid move by letting Korver get away for very little, lets not make the same mistake with Miller.

He is the one piece holding this team together. Don't let him get away. We are always suckers when it comes time to make a trade.
newcoachtime
Sophomore

Post#16 » by newcoachtime » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:45 am

Wilfried wrote:I think Lou Will will never be a starting pg. I like him a lot, but the guy is a scorer and never will be a floor general.

I like him as a sixth man (Ben Gorden - Vinnie Johnson)

I agree 100%, I don't see him running the team, he is another hybrid SG/PG he seems like a shoot first PG and I can also see him needing to hold the ball too much like AI did and just not getting others involved. I want a pure pass first PG, a leader, and a play maker.

If it's even a thought that Lou will be the starting PG next year they better start doing more with Lou while we have Miller so we can get a better idea, and that doesn't mean playing him with Miller on the floor. I want to see a string of games where Lou gets a solid 25 minutes at point.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#17 » by freshie2 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:05 am

Tough call...not sure LW is going to be a point, and if he's not, then move him. Next to impossible to build around a short SG, and I really don't want to waste another decade of my life watching that experiment fail.

He is playing better, but I don't know that he's ever going to be a true PG.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#18 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:10 am

Next to impossible to build around a short SG

I don't think anyone's "building around" Louis Williams. But if he fails as a PG, he still IMO has a role as a scoring punch off the bench, which a small SG definitely can succeed at IMO.

and I really don't want to waste another decade of my life watching that experiment fail.

Did the last decade "fail" (keep in mind we had 4 straight playoff appearances including a finals appearance) because ofa short SG or an incompetent GM?
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
carltong23
Junior
And1: 6

Post#19 » by carltong23 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:46 am

dbodner wrote:Did the last decade "fail" (keep in mind we had 4 straight playoff appearances including a finals appearance) because ofa short SG or an incompetent GM?

It was both. Even in Denver, Iverson doesnt make them anything more than number 5-7 playoff seed. They'll probably lose in the first or second round and be right back where they are next year. There was even a rumor that the Nuggs offered Iverson to NJ for Kidd and the Nets weren't interested. Its only a rumor, but with Iverson having the ability to opt out, I wouldnt doubt it.

And Lou will never be a starting quality point unless we have a Tim Duncan or Shaq type post player on our team.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#20 » by SouthJersey » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:52 am

Gotta play Lou Williams. He's a big game player and having him on the court can only help the team. Its hard to say whether hes a starting pg, but he can definetly play that position without turning the ball over.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers