ImageImageImage

Off season hypothetical

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Off season hypothetical 

Post#1 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:36 pm

From sixerfan, it sounds like any additional cap moves will involve Green or Evans...let's assume they move one and get some more cap space.

Brand is the best fit if he's healthy...PF is the biggest need, and he's a great one if his tendon's hold up. Starting 5 and basic rotation is much improved with him in town.

Now you hit the draft...they get lucky in the lottery and pick 3rd. Rose and Beasley are gone...who is the selection? Early on, the assumption would have been Mayo, but who is impressing you more now?

After watching Bynum kill the Sixers twice, they will need to get a lot more help inside. I haven't seen Jordan play a lot, but a young, athletic 7'er lke him would probably be my choice. Brand would help immediately, but they still will need to improve their big man depth to be serious contenders.

Assuming they picked 3rd, and ultimately would sign Brand, who is your selection @ #3?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#2 » by eyeatoma » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:52 pm

I think this is a lil early, even though its hypothetical. Sure we may be able to get Brand, but I've stopped getting my hopes up that we're going to get a top 3 pick...At best we get a pick between 8-12 especially if Andre Miller doesn't get traded...

Now, if we're going with this hypothetical situation, I would take Brand or Josh Smith in the off season, and then pair him with Rose/Beasley/Mayo/Jordan...in that order...
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#3 » by sec-106 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:56 pm

NBADraft.net has Mayo going 10th.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#4 » by eyeatoma » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:05 pm

sec-106 wrote:NBADraft.net has Mayo going 10th.

Do you mean that as a good thing? Seeing that we'll probably get a pick in that range, it would be terrific if Mayo was available then.

I highly doubt it though. He's still performing exceptionaly well, and I think he's a straight up shooting gaurd. Yeah he's not dominating the college divisions but few players do, I still think he's worthy of a top 5 pick, and will be a 25 ppg scorer in the NBA...

Something this team could really use...I will say this, I would only pick Mayo, if his of court issues are a thing of the past...We don't need any trouble makers on this team.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:10 pm

I would forget about signing any free agent or potential free agent this offseason and save the money to target players like D. Wade, Lebron, Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Kobe etc. when they become free agents the next upcoming offseasons. I feel that Brand is finished as a player, he was gearing up these last few years for this upcoming contract which will be his last big contract and he blew a tire in the process. When players like him get hurt who were never great physical specimens it's usually a sign that there years of being borderline out of shape have caught up with them.

I would avoid Brand this offseason and let him put in a full year of basketball before potentially thinking about signing him in 2009.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#6 » by sec-106 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:31 pm

sec-106 wrote:NBADraft.net has Mayo going 10th.

Yes, a good thing for Phila.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#7 » by UptownPhilly » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:36 pm

sec-106 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes, a good thing for Phila.

A very good thing. The Sixers are not in a position to be picky(at any position) we still need as much talent as possible. We still appear to be rebuilding also.

With that being said we will probably go BPA in this draft, which will most likely be a PG(still a big need).

If we can get Mayo at 10th, then we have a steal.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#8 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:38 pm

Brand is scheduled to make $17MIL next season. I can't see him opting opt of his contract in order to sign for the same for less and seeing since the Sixers may be the only team with cap space and not enough to give Brand a raise... it's very likely he doesn't opt out of his deal.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#9 » by UptownPhilly » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:54 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Brand is scheduled to make $17MIL next season. I can't see him opting opt of his contract in order to sign for the same for less and seeing since the Sixers may be the only team with cap space and not enough to give Brand a raise... it's very likely he doesn't opt out of his deal.

He's not coming here. BK would have found a way to get one of his favorite Blue Devils $17 mil next season though :D

Whoever brought up Gasol, has got me onto something. He'd be a good fit here. If we can get him without giving up Iguodala, Williams, Young, Dalembert, or Smith we should go for him.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#10 » by SouthJersey » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:28 pm

Here's my offseason plan.

Trade Mller, Evans and get cap room. Sign Calderon, sign Josh Smith, DeSagana Diop, trade up to get Eric Gordon.

I think that Larry Brown would e a good coach for this team also. Smith has a ton of talent but needs discipline, LB could let him know who's in charge right away.

Lineup woud be

Calderon/ Williams
Iguodala/ Gordon
Young/ Carney
Smith/ Smith
Dalembert/ Diop
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#11 » by Cru Thik » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:03 pm

I would take Eric Gordon if we were able to land Brand. But knowing our luck we won't get either. We will probably end up out of the top 10 of the draft. Then we will miss on the FA market. :)
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#12 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:27 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Brand is scheduled to make $17MIL next season. I can't see him opting opt of his contract in order to sign for the same for less and seeing since the Sixers may be the only team with cap space and not enough to give Brand a raise... it's very likely he doesn't opt out of his deal.

He wouldn't be getting a 1 year deal, he'd be getting a 5 year deal. Maybe he's be willing to take a slight paycut next summer to secure long term money.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#13 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:32 pm

Sixerscan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He wouldn't be getting a 1 year deal, he'd be getting a 5 year deal. Maybe he's be willing to take a slight paycut next summer to secure long term money.

Right. It could be a deal worth between 80 and 100 million. If Brand thinks he can secure that, then he may consider opting out.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#14 » by corwin » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:37 pm

sixers hoops wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Right. It could be a deal worth between 80 and 100 million. If Brand thinks he can secure that, then he may consider opting out.

I think it could be a deal in the 65 - 75 million dollar range. Don't forget, it's the Clippers that he plays for & historically they've been frugal plus they're close to a major rebuilding job. Is he part of their future?
SendEm
Banned User

Post#15 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:44 pm

SouthJersey wrote:Here's my offseason plan.

Trade Mller, Evans and get cap room. Sign Calderon, sign Josh Smith, DeSagana Diop, trade up to get Eric Gordon.

I think that Larry Brown would e a good coach for this team also. Smith has a ton of talent but needs discipline, LB could let him know who's in charge right away.

Lineup woud be

Calderon/ Williams
Iguodala/ Gordon
Young/ Carney
Smith/ Smith
Dalembert/ Diop

Toronto is going to match all Calderon offers. Calderon is going to get atleast $7+ mil, if he signs for MLE it will be after a long hard fight and no teams having salary cap space. But the Sixers who have space would need to offer him the $7+ mil. With TJ Ford's career up in the air Toronto is matching all offers given to Calderon. Smith will be atleast 10 mil and Atlanta is matching all offers unless some team attempts to over pay BIG TIME. That's combined 17+ mil, I doubt the Sixers get that much under the cap. And if they do? I'd say old on to that money for the next year and/or year after that when Wade and Lebron hit free agency.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#16 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:55 pm

corwin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think it could be a deal in the 65 - 75 million dollar range.

For a 5 year deal?
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#17 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:47 pm

SendEm wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd say old on to that money for the next year and/or year after that when Wade and Lebron hit free agency.

I'd rather make our move, either in a trade or FA, during this offseason. We are the only people with real cap space. The year after we have to compete with more teams. The sonics and blazers are amongst the teams trying to get capspace.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
SendEm
Banned User

Post#18 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm not concerned with the Blazers ever getting cap space because with the way that there own players are developing they look like they currently have a team that will be in luxury tax territory in the future. Seattle is about to move the franchise they aren't signing another teams player for big money for a very long time, plus they have all kinds of #1 draft picks and so do the Blazers. Those two teams would be foolish to sign another teams free agent for big money when they are currently in the enviable position of successfully being able to build through the draft.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#19 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:58 pm

Brand and Josh Smith bottomline are not difference makers, just look at there win/loss records. Not signing them, even though they both aren't unrestricted free agents this summer, will NOT set this franchise back, however signing them might, considering that James and Wade will be on the market in the future.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#20 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:01 pm

luxury tax isn't anything to worry about when talking about lebron/wade (even though neither is likely moving). they put butts in seats/ sell boatloads of merchandise.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably

Return to Philadelphia 76ers