ImageImageImage

the wall?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior
And1: 2

the wall? 

Post#1 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:31 pm

Jasner claims that both Young and Smith have hit the preverbial rookie wall.

1st do you agree or just feel that their recent dip in production is a fuinction on th road trip.

2nd do you think if hill is ready physicall thta he should get some minutes and let these guys rest a bit.

my answers:
no wall sighted on my part but would love to see if hill can compete for som eminutes once he is healthy.
sig courtesy of GKgfx
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#2 » by dbodner » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:51 pm

I don't think they're hitting the wall as in "both players are gassed", but that they're hitting the wall in that the more they play, the more their deficiencies are being exposed. Thad certainly doesn't look like he's physically tired out there.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#3 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:54 pm

I would not be surprised if there current production is a result of "hitting the wall". They have already played what amounts to nearly a full season of college basketball (in games). I'm sure they probably practice as much, if not more, than they did in college.

Smith's level of play dropped before the road trip so I doubt that's the cause of his struggles. Personally, I think it's just a normal rookie thing...rookies have ups and downs throughout the year. I expect both to bounce back soon.
STChaser
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by STChaser » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:54 pm

Jasner emailed me today and said that Hill is recovered now but not yet in game shape. Not sure how long it will take him to get into "game shape". I would think the best way to get him ready would be to throw him out there for a few minutes here and there and work himself back but perhaps Cheeks thinks he'll have more luck getting in shape during practices.

STChaser
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#5 » by Cru Thik » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:05 pm

STChaser wrote:Jasner emailed me today and said that Hill is recovered now but not yet in game shape. Not sure how long it will take him to get into "game shape". I would think the best way to get him ready would be to throw him out there for a few minutes here and there and work himself back but perhaps Cheeks thinks he'll have more luck getting in shape during practices.

STChaser

It seems like Cheeks holds his practices in high regard. I would think we will have to wait a few weeks before we see Hill on the court. Willie was playing well and he couldn't even get on the court without going through a practice of Cheeks before being active again.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#6 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:54 pm

Smith and Young's production hasn't dropped to the point where I'm worried. In fact, they've played more consistently up to this point than I had originally anticipated prior to the season starting.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#7 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:07 pm

They've just been playing crappy. Just last week they won us the game against the Kings.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by SendEm » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:18 pm

I liked how at the beginning of the season Smith seemingly had no fear and knew no limits to his game, but gradually Smith has began to play like he was drafted late in the draft and expected to be a non factor in the NBA. At the beginning of the year it seemed like he was oblivious to that and on the road to being a REAL player, but now Smith looks filled with self doubt like John Salmons when he was here.
THFM
Junior

Post#9 » by THFM » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:27 am

SendEm wrote:I liked how at the beginning of the season Smith seemingly had no fear and knew no limits to his game, but gradually Smith has began to play like he was drafted late in the draft and expected to be a non factor in the NBA. At the beginning of the year it seemed like he was oblivious to that and on the road to being a REAL player, but now Smith looks filled with self doubt like John Salmons when he was here.

It's just a couple of games, and I don't think that. He is still a beast on offensive rebounds espically that put back dunk vs the Jazz it was nasty.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by dbodner » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:31 am

One thing that I've been disappointed in with Smith. While he'll surprise you with an occasional weak side block, he's really a bad defender overall. His man's been abusing him lately, from what I've seen.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,989

Post#11 » by Stanford » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:37 am

All in all, Thad and Jason are just two more bricks in the rookie wall.
MicrOLak3R
Junior

Post#12 » by MicrOLak3R » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:00 am

Pink floyd is awesome!!
Fire BK
Senior

Post#13 » by Fire BK » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:56 am

dbodner wrote:One thing that I've been disappointed in with Smith. While he'll surprise you with an occasional weak side block, he's really a bad defender overall. His man's been abusing him lately, from what I've seen.

I couldn't agree more.

Like his shooting touch for a 7-footer. Also, he runs the floor and finishes well. Decent face-up offensive game.

But defensively, he's a liability.

That's why he'll probably never be a bona fide starting 4 or 5 in the league. He can't guard bangers. Too soft.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#14 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:01 am

Rookies play better at home- because they get their confidense up from the crowd, and they don't have to deal with adjsuting to life on the road. I'm sure they feel more like a "rookie" on these long road trip- it's a whole new experience and its not surprising this would be the time they struggle.

Look to see them rebound in a couple of weeks when this tough stretch is behind them.
Rickdiculous
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Rickdiculous » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:16 am

That's why he'll probably never be a bona fide starting 4 or 5 in the league. He can't guard bangers. Too soft.

This is nothing some time in the gym can help remedy. Let him build up some bulk/strength and he can become a better defensive player. I think the hustle and effort is there, but he isn't physically up to his potential in that aspect of the game.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my behalf, but hasn't there ever been a player to significantly improve their defense through physical gain?
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by dbodner » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:31 am

I also think he's going to be somewhat limited offensively. His release point is really, really low, both on drives and on jumpers. On jumpers he shoots the ball as he's on his way down. He's going to have a hard time creating his own shot, IMO. Fine on the break and on putbacks, or when someone else sets him up, but I don't ever see him being a major factor offensively because of that.

Not that I'm disappointed with jason smith, but I see serious deficiencies in his game that I'm not sure are correctable with experience.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#17 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:08 am

I don't see Smith ever becoming a starting caliber PF on a good team, especially with the current glut of young up and coming PF's in the league right now. He can still be a solid player that will give you around 13, 6, and a block and possibly provide some match up problems offensively.

His defense is suspect although I've seen worse out of rookie bigs. Its a little too early to declare his inefficiencies uncorrectable, although certain factors such as his short wing span aren't all that encouraging.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#18 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:23 am

ankle420breaker wrote:I don't see Smith ever becoming a starting caliber PF on a good team, especially with the current glut of young up and coming PF's in the league right now.

We need one of those guys... I don't quite see the glut though.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#19 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:43 am

tk76 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We need one of those guys... I don't quite see the glut though.

Okafor
Stoudemire
West
Maxiell
Lee
Horford
Bosh
Yi
Jefferson
Josh Smith
Aldridge
Boozer

I'm sure I missed some, but theres an abundance of young PF's with bright futures in the league
Louis Williams
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Louis Williams » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:56 am

They are rookies. Most rookies struggle. They'll be fine.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers