ImageImageImage

Sammy better be in the top 3 for DP of the Y!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#21 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:12 pm

Sixerscan wrote: The "philosophy" thing isn't as big of a deal because it's generally constant whether or not a single player is on the floor)

When I said that, I wasn't referring to how it affects comparison's between that teams players. I'm referring to the fact that, hypothetically, it may make Sixers players look bad at defending the 3 compared to another teams players at defending the 3. The team D philosophy is an issue there...since people want to use stats to rate player A vs. player B.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,075

Post#22 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:19 pm

The Sixer Fixer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When I said that, I wasn't referring to how it affects comparison's between that teams players. I'm referring to the fact that, hypothetically, it may make Sixers players look bad at defending the 3 compared to another teams players at defending the 3. The team D philosophy is an issue there...since people want to use stats to rate player A vs. player B.

It's on court/off court. He's only being compared to his own team without him.

And either way defending the 3 is an oddly specific thing for you to focus on. All that matters is the total defense. If allowing teams to shoot more from beyond is evened out by getting more boards and allowing less layups, who really cares?

BTW, Sixers are actually above average at defending the 3. (12th best o3FG%) Which shows how funny it is that you think you don't need stats to tell how good defenders are.

You need a balance of both.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#23 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:36 pm

Sixerscan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's on court/off court. He's only being compared to his own team without him.

Huh? I was making a general point about using stats to compre 1 player on any team to another. It wasnt about any specific stat or anything. I think you are confusing what I was trying to illustrate (or I dod a poor job of explaining...either way, doesn't matter)

Sixerscan wrote:And either way defending the 3 is an oddly specific thing for you to focus on. All that matters is the total defense. If allowing teams to shoot more from beyond is evened out by getting more boards and allowing less layups, who really cares?

Again, it was a hypothetical to ilustate that stats don't tell the story when looking at 1 players stats.

Sixerscan wrote:BTW, Sixers are actually above average at defending the 3. (12th best o3FG%) Which shows how funny it is that you think you don't need stats to tell how good defenders are.

You need a balance of both.

Man, it was a hypothetical. I wasn't claiming the Sixers are good/bad. I just stated what their philosophy seems to be and how it can (I didn't say it did) affect stats.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#24 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:41 pm

I get what your illustrating, but I don't see what it has to do with what we're talking about. We aren't talking about specific "3 point defense" or any specific aspect. We're talking about overall defense. And about on court off court. You even asked if that's what we were talking about:

You want to evaluate Opponent FG% when that player is on the court or off?

And in that instance, a team's philosophy is irrelevant because it's constant, get it?

No one with any common sense would look at something like "opposing team's 3 point%" to determine an individual's defensive ability.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:03 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I get what your illustrating, but I don't see what it has to do with what we're talking about. We aren't talking about specific "3 point defense" or any specific aspect. We're talking about overall defense. And about on court off court. You even asked if that's what we were talking about:

You want to evaluate Opponent FG% when that player is on the court or off?

And in that instance, a team's philosophy is irrelevant because it's constant, get it?

No one with any common sense would look at something like "opposing team's 3 point%" to determine an individual's defensive ability.

OMG forget it. Not worth continuing to go down this road. Obviously you have a point you are making and I had one I was (stats are garbage when talking about team D, and an individual players D, at the same time).

Anyhow, I'm done with this discussion.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#26 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:44 pm

I have a point I'm making? All I'm doing is trying to get you do make an argument in relation to what we're talking about. You're bringing up some random stat and not explaining what it has to do with the conversation.
chrice
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#27 » by chrice » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:03 am

How dare you call him Sammy. His name is Dr. Swat now.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#28 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:16 pm

I do like Sammy, but anyone who watches Bynum dominate him realizes he's not DPOY. Sit back and get ready for Oden vs Bynum for the next decade...a great big man rivalry may be on the horizon.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#29 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:33 pm

I suspect Bynum and Oden may spend much if not their entire careers with rigid, unnatural looking post moves... and still absolutely dominate out there because they will be in their own league when it comes to wide bodied 7ft with sick athletic ability.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers