ImageImageImage

Cheeks' coaching style

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

dond
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Cheeks' coaching style 

Post#1 » by dond » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:32 pm

This article gives more insight into Mo Cheeks' coaching style.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... liams.html

Is that as important as X's and O's ?

In my opinion, more important !

He coaches (prepares) them prior to the game and then during the game he tweaks here and there (guides them). I think he is going to be around awhile.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#2 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:59 pm

Thats not Mo's coaching style. That is what coaching is...
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by dond » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:54 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Thats not Mo's coaching style. That is what coaching is...

You know ... you are absolutely right !

I guess I am just reacting to past criticisms of Mo Cheeks during games ...
About who is playing or not playing, or what play was called out of a timeout, or some other gametime incident ... that I just leaped at an opportunity to point out an actual coaching moment that had a real effect on a player's improvement and perhaps the outcome of a game.

My bad, you are right ... that is just coaching.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#4 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:38 pm

i cant blame MO for any of the sixers inconsistencies...
we are playing decent ball right now...you cant blame him for the lack of a team to coach.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior
And1: 2

Post#5 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:28 am

i think a lot a of people completely underestimate how difficult coaching can be..so far considering the circumstances I am thoroughly satisfied with what Mo and his staff have brough to the table.

Have there been substitutions and plays run that have perplexed me...well yes...but i dont think that i could do any better, nor do i think our team could do any better with any of the cast of characters that might be interviewed...i have heard people mention Rick Carlisle..please..no unless you like a slow plodding team..that is all about half court execution...

I really like our style right b/c it fits our personnel..we play tough d and get out on the break when we can...we may struggle in the half court but i think that is more of a function of who we have on the court....come to think of it..Mo may never have had the opportunity to coach a team with a legit low post threat.

His career record is over 500 now with our recent play and he has never been handed a winning team..so yea i say lets see what ed comes up with during this summer and then let Mo run with it next year-if we dont improve from this years record, them we can discuss replacements..but for now i am happy with his effort. this ship is definitely being steered in a direction that is positive-you can't argue that
sig courtesy of GKgfx
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#6 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:21 am

I'm tired of having to repeat this

HE HAD TWO ALL-STAR CALIBER PLAYERS WHO AVERAGED 20/10 on the same squad and took them to the lottery!

I'm glad the young guys are going "Raa Raa" "Yay Yay", but if you heard Kyle Korver's press conference, then you know that X'S and O'S wise, we're losing the coaching battle against every team in the NBA but 2 IMO: Charlotte/Atlanta. That's 28 of 30 NBA teams with a better coach.... We hired an ASSISTANT to do a Head Coaches job.

IS THAT NOT TOO HARD TO GRASP?
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#7 » by Sandalf42 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:04 pm

While Mo Cheeks is REALLY bad at Xs and Os, he's still a great motivator, and gets the best effort out of each player.

But firing him is not out of the question, as long as we replace him with sumone good (NOT Larry Brown, Scott Skiles, Jeff Van Gundy).

I want a coach who can not only gameplan, but connect with the players.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#8 » by The Sixer Fixer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:18 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:......

HE HAD TWO ALL-STAR CALIBER PLAYERS WHO AVERAGED 20/10 on the same squad and took them to the lottery!

Who are the 2? Please tell me. I can think of one...
Louis Williams
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Louis Williams » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:32 pm

Sandalf42 wrote:While Mo Cheeks is REALLY bad at Xs and Os, he's still a great motivator, and gets the best effort out of each player.

But firing him is not out of the question, as long as we replace him with sumone good (NOT Larry Brown, Scott Skiles, Jeff Van Gundy).

I want a coach who can not only gameplan, but connect with the players.

How do you know Cheeks is bad at X's and O's?

Have you sat through a practice? Have you been in the team huddles?

If you haven't, then you can't make that statement with any certainty.
phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior

Post#10 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:25 pm

post deleted

sig courtesy of GKgfx
phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior

Post#11 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:28 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:......

I'm glad the young guys are going "Raa Raa" "Yay Yay", but if you heard Kyle Korver's press conference, then you know that X'S and O'S wise, we're losing the coaching battle against every team in the NBA but 2 IMO: Charlotte/Atlanta. That's 28 of 30 NBA teams with a better coach.... We hired an ASSISTANT to do a Head Coaches job.

IS THAT NOT TOO HARD TO GRASP?

while being condensending seems to make your day, it does not reinforce your points well. When he had those players Mo won 49 and then 50 games. After getting smoked by a hot lakers team in 01-02 he went 7 games against the mavericks in 02-03 during his sole playoff appearances. By the way, what two 20-10 guys are you talking about? I see Rasheed and thats it. Finally after two good seasons, this team started to disintigrate. I think we can all remember the Jailblazers right! the lottery team you speak of couldnt beat last years sixers and here's the roster-yikes:

1 Derek Anderson G 6-5 195 6 7/18/74 Kentucky
3 Damon Stoudamire G 5-10 174 8 9/3/73 Arizona
5 Ha Seung-Jin C 7-3 305 8/4/85 South Korea
10 Joel Przybilla C 7-1 255 4 10/10/79 Minnesota
14 Richie Frahm G 6-5 210 1 8/14/77 Gonzaga
19 I-Nick Van Exel G 6-1 195 10 11/27/71 Cincinnati
21 Ruben Patterson F 6-5 224 5 7/31/75 Cincinnati
23 Darius Miles F 6-9 210 3 10/9/81 East St. Louis (IL) HS
25 Travis Outlaw F 6-9 210 1 9/18/84 Starkville (MS) HS
31 Sebastian Telfair G 6-0 160 R 6/9/85 Abraham Lincoln (NY) HS
33 Shareef Abdur-Rahim F 6-9 245 7 12/11/76 California
38 Viktor Khryapa F 6-9 210 R 8/3/82 Russia
42 Theo Ratliff C 6-10 235 8 4/17/73 Wyoming
50 I-Zach Randolph

this pack of idiots went 20-33 before Mo was scapegoated and fired by the John Nash who has since been fired for basically steering this ship into an iceberg. Since Kevin Pritchard has certainly made all the right moves and Nate seems to pointing these guys in the right direction. Considering these facts, I don't think it had anything to do with MO.
Rasheed and Damon just didnt see the cops in between bong hits on the 5, Woods was training to be a dogfighting expert instead of working on his handle and well we all know about Patterson's way with the ladies.

..anyway this does not address the issue of x's and o's that has appeared to take over this topic of coaching style.

While i dont think drawing up plays are Mo's strength..to say 28 of 30 are better, is misinformed and a lazy arguement at best. No they are not the best play calls and i said he does perplex me at times...but until we can get more than 2 guys that know how execute in the half court its really hard to make a fair assessment.

sig courtesy of GKgfx
barkley34
Veteran

Post#12 » by barkley34 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:55 am

Louis Williams wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How do you know Cheeks is bad at X's and O's?

Have you sat through a practice? Have you been in the team huddles?

If you haven't, then you can't make that statement with any certainty.

They play hard for Cheeks but a better coach would get the team to execute the fundamentals better.

During Cheeks' tenure with this team they have struggled at doing the little things correct. There has probably been about 20 times in the last 2 years when we had a foul to give and didn't which resulted in points for the other team. In the Miami game last week we let Wade go the length of the court and score with 1 second left on a layup to end the 3rd quarter when we had a foul to give and never gave it. That is poor coaching, you can blame the players but Larry Brown would have been near half court screaming to give the foul.

In the game the other night against Utah we allow Utah to inbound the ball on their last 2 possessions to Kyle Korver. Korver made all 4 of those free throws to seal the game. No way would a good coach allow that to happen. You have to deny Korver the ball in that situation and foul someone else even Bob Salmi said something about it. Salmi didn't want to rip Mo because he is paid by the Sixers but it was an obvious coaching blunder.

Stuff like that happens several times per game with Cheeks.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#13 » by freshie2 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:10 pm

Do we think that Sam and Reggie always understand the coaching that is being provided? Same as a separate post...Cheeks will look like a great coach if he has great players and they win. Right now, they are probably overachieving for their talent level, yet he's being viewed as a horrible coach.
Louis Williams
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Louis Williams » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:39 pm

barkley34 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They play hard for Cheeks but a better coach would get the team to execute the fundamentals better.

You still can't make this statement with any certainty. This is a young team, they are going to struggle executing the fundamentals. That's why young teams don't win in this league, veteran teams do.

We can all agree that Cheeks is a great motivator, because his team is playing hard, and they believe they can win. But none of us can speak on the X's and O's, because we simply have no way of knowing.
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by dond » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:22 pm

Louis Williams wrote:But none of us can speak on the X's and O's, because we simply have no way of knowing.

BINGO !
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by dond » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:30 pm

freshie2 wrote: Right now, they are probably overachieving for their talent level, yet he's being viewed as a horrible coach.

That is the part that is puzzling. At the start of the season, most of what I read on this forum indicated that there was a high level of anticipation of getting a high draft choice after this season because there was low expectations for this team. However, little by little, those expectations have changed and now there is some anticipation of them winning almost any given game and not much expectation of getting that lottery pick.

So, what has changed ? Nothing ! Same players. Have the players gotten better ? Sure they have. Has the teamwork (defense) gotten better ? Dramatically !!! You would think coaching would get some credit for that.

My opinion ? This team is very well coached and Mo Cheeks is responsible for that. No coach can guarantee wins. All he can do is prepare them enough so they can compete to their best ability. Coach Cheeks is doing that.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers