ImageImageImage

Offseason Plan B: Sell the cap for assets?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,327

Offseason Plan B: Sell the cap for assets? 

Post#1 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 5:55 pm

If we strike out on the quality players we want, a good way to punt is to sell the cap space for picks. If we do that, who are some likely suspects that we can absorb expiring or 2-year contracts with juicy draft assets attached?

Would most likely come from teams getting punished by the luxury tax penalties. Here is a list of teams:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/tax/_/year/2024/sort/tax_bill/dir/desc

Then later, perhaps by the deadline, you can package those deals and picks for upgrades.

Here are some with deals expiring in 2025 (unless otherwise noted):

Tim Hardaway Jr. (SG - DAL) - $16m expiring
Malcolm Brogdon (PG - POR) - $23m expiring
John Collins (PF - UTA) - $27m expires 2026 (after PO)
Caris Levert (SG - CLE) - $17m expiring
Clint Capela (CE - ATL) - $22m expiring
Kevin Huerter (SG - SAC) - $17m expires 2026
Terance Mann (SG - LAC) - $11m expiring
PJ Tucker (PF - LAC) - $12m expiring
Norman Powell (SG - LAC) - $19m expires 2026

What other players could be available with picks attached in exchange for pure cap?
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,699

Re: Offseason Plan B: Sell the cap for assets? 

Post#2 » by FireMorey » Mon May 6, 2024 6:07 pm

Ben Simmons.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#3 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 6:45 pm

FireMorey wrote:Ben Simmons.

I'd do it if he came with our two 1sts back, but I doubt BKN does it. They seem content to wait him out and target Mitchell with the cap space next summer.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,814

Post#4 » by the_process » Mon May 6, 2024 7:06 pm

You're looking at 2nd apron teams for this. Phoenix and Miami would appear to be able to fix their problems by selling a star, should they want to. If Boston wins a title, assume they will run it back to defend even with the penalties. That leaves Denver, Minnesota, and Milwaukee. Denver or Minnesota are going to be in WCF and possibly the finals, even though Minnesota has the ownership dispute going on I think both may just try to make moves around the edges to cut costs rather than paying to dump a big deal. Milwaukee could look to move Dame? But that depends on what Giannis wants, as they are completely beholden to him.

Long story short... I don't think you're going to find a team to pay you to take a bad contract.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,814

Post#5 » by the_process » Mon May 6, 2024 7:07 pm

Only one year left and they plan on being a cap space team and pulling Mitchell.

Don't think they bother at this point honestly.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#6 » by brannigan73 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:14 pm

Bold prediction: The Sixers don't get to at least ECF next season and Embiid is going to try to force his way out of Philly. Don't think it can't happen. If they pursue a plan like this they better be prepared than make big upgrades next trade deadline. Embiids age is also starting to become an issue how many more dominant years can he realistically have left?
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#7 » by FlyingArrow » Mon May 6, 2024 7:37 pm

brannigan73 wrote:Bold prediction: The Sixers don't get to at least ECF next season and Embiid is going to try to force his way out of Philly. Don't think it can't happen. If they pursue a plan like this they better be prepared than make big upgrades next trade deadline. Embiids age is also starting to become an issue how many more dominant years can he realistically have left?

3 max, and that's being generous. Health-permitting, he could be an all-star even at 37 or 38, but his window of being a dominant force will end within 3 years. This past year may have even been the last one. By Christmas, Maxey may have passed him up as the best player on his own team.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#8 » by ZarcMumoff » Mon May 6, 2024 10:55 pm

I was wondering about Chris Boucher. Final year of a $10 million deal. He's on the wrong side of 30 (turns 32 next season) so he's holder than people think, but an interesting fit with Embiid.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#9 » by youngcrev » Mon May 6, 2024 11:03 pm

Miami needs to cut their cap. How about we take Jimmy Butler? Won't even ask for a pick from them!
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Mon May 6, 2024 11:04 pm

I don't think you're getting anything good for taking back any of the names on the list.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,827

Post#11 » by Slacktard » Mon May 6, 2024 11:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#12 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 11:19 pm

Slacktard wrote:

Read on Twitter

Young socialite young socialiting!
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#13 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:11 am

Throw all your chips at Brandon Ingram. We gonna need a running partner for Maxey regardless of Embiid. Embiid isn't healthy reliable. We need a running mate for Maxey on his max deal. Ingram is the guy. Throw in all the chips and get him .
Sixers in 4
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#14 » by Sixers in 4 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:32 am

Lets see who shakes loose every year there is a guy last year it was dame.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#15 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:46 am

youngcrev wrote:I don't think you're getting anything good for taking back any of the names on the list.

I don’t think it’s about getting anything back, that would be unrealistic. It’s more about acquiring players for little to nothing just because we can absorb their contract. And I agree it’s not a bad plan B if a trade for a big contract doesn’t work out. It’s for sure a better pool of players than what will be available in free agency
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#16 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 7, 2024 1:18 am

Arsenal wrote:
Slacktard wrote:

Read on Twitter

Young socialite young socialiting!

He loves the name recognition that comes with being a basketball player more than he loves basketball.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#17 » by youngcrev » Tue May 7, 2024 1:42 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I don't think you're getting anything good for taking back any of the names on the list.

I don’t think it’s about getting anything back, that would be unrealistic. It’s more about acquiring players for little to nothing just because we can absorb their contract. And I agree it’s not a bad plan B if a trade for a big contract doesn’t work out. It’s for sure a better pool of players than what will be available in free agency

That's exactly what the thread is about...?
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#18 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:12 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

That's exactly what the thread is about...?

Yup. I’m an idiot and didn’t read it. You are indeed correct then. Aside from Collins and PJ I don’t think I’d say any of the players listed are even overpaid by much. Teams aren’t dumping picks to get rid of contributing players on mid tier contracts, definitely not a 1 year deal.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,803

Post#19 » by 76ciology » Tue May 7, 2024 2:20 am

So the other thread is heaven, and this thread is hell.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,827

Post#20 » by Slacktard » Tue May 7, 2024 3:11 am

76ciology wrote:So the other thread is heaven, and this thread is hell.

I think some of the use up 80% of the cap for a mid 30s guy with injury history there are kinda hellish scenarios imo.

Not that I want to see them use the entire cap to absorb bad contracts for assets like they're a non-contender either. Altho I think there could be some type of possible happy medium where they are able to make a trade for a '3rd piece' nearing FA (preferably rookie contract or 2nd contract), by also absorbing a bad contract from the team with that 3rd piece.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers