** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,093

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#121 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:44 am

eyeatoma wrote:
mjkvol wrote:My strong recommendation to everyone on this forum is to put the two trolls on 'ignore', so this place doesn't become the ghost town it seems to be headed for. Ignore them and just don't respond to them. I hate going that route, but they are completely toxic to any kind of good conversation. I did it a while ago, and only see their posts when someone takes the bait and responds to them. Put them on 'ignore' and don't respond, and they will disappear.
We need more people to report them.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

They aren't going to be removed because they don't break any forum 'rules', so to speak, so reporting them is pointless. Ignore trolls and they generally disappear once they aren't getting the rise they live for. The Embiid thread has become a troll-athon between the two of them. Let that be their only discourse.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#122 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:05 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Given that our Embiid window is down to getting one fortunate run, signing George for his max is something I'm willing to go for at this point. That would leave the draft picks available to make down roster upgrades in trade.

I would not sign and trade for him to pay him more money and give the Clippers back anything of value though.
We'd regret that. Paul George isn't moving the needle at this point in his career and he'd just end up being an aging albatross that we're stuck with.

Embiid will be older and ringless with even more health/toughness concerns in two years and we'll wish we cashed out on him now. Any competent organization would recognize that trading him should be a priority this summer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

How is Paul George not a needle a mover?
In that he doesn't make us better than Boston.... arguably not better than NY either. Too risky if it means committing to a long-term deal for an aging star on the other side of his prime.

Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#123 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:21 pm

mjkvol wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
mjkvol wrote:My strong recommendation to everyone on this forum is to put the two trolls on 'ignore', so this place doesn't become the ghost town it seems to be headed for. Ignore them and just don't respond to them. I hate going that route, but they are completely toxic to any kind of good conversation. I did it a while ago, and only see their posts when someone takes the bait and responds to them. Put them on 'ignore' and don't respond, and they will disappear.
We need more people to report them.

They aren't going to be removed because they don't break any forum 'rules', so to speak, so reporting them is pointless. Ignore trolls and they generally disappear once they aren't getting the rise they live for. The Embiid thread has become a troll-athon between the two of them. Let that be their only discourse.

Don't flatter yourself. I couldn't care less about any "rise" any of you all have here. I respectfully post what I want as means of expressing myself and my thoughts about the team. "You" are not a part of that equation, despite that you apparently desperately want to believe you are.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#124 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:29 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:We'd regret that. Paul George isn't moving the needle at this point in his career and he'd just end up being an aging albatross that we're stuck with.

Embiid will be older and ringless with even more health/toughness concerns in two years and we'll wish we cashed out on him now. Any competent organization would recognize that trading him should be a priority this summer.

How is Paul George not a needle a mover?
In that he doesn't make us better than Boston.... arguably not better than NY either. Too risky if it means committing to a long-term deal for an aging star on the other side of his prime.

Booker is the target if he's available.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#125 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:51 pm

SixthStreet wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:Didn't he trade for CP3 and Westbrook in Houston?

How many years was he GM in Houston? There's your answer. Additionally, the Westbrook trade is well known to have been forced by ownership.

The CP3 trade would have KOed one of the greatest champions in modern history if a 0-17 3P shooting in a 4th quarter would have been 1-17.

He also signed Dwight Howard.

I would suggest going on basketball reference and taking a look at Morey's history of trades and free agency. It is truly abysmal.

He's lived off the Harden move his entire career. Minus that, he would have the same career path as Hinkie.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,530

Post#126 » by eyeatoma » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:10 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:We need more people to report them.

Don't flatter yourself. I couldn't care less about any "rise" any of you all have here. I respectfully post what I want as means of expressing myself and my thoughts about the team. "You" are not a part of that equation, despite that you apparently desperately want to believe you are.
The fact that you know we were talking about you tells me everything we need to know.

Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#127 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:22 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

The fact that you know we were talking about you tells me everything we need to know.

You figure that means you and whatever "rise" you may experience have any significance in my world? LOL.

Come down off your perch dude. You ain't that important.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#128 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm

Let’s imagine a scenario where we sign Siakam for max and re-sign Maxey for max.

What happens with our cap space?
We can only sign minimums with two exceptions?
For how much can we resign Oubre?
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#129 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:42 pm

Hot take: I'd buy low on Ingram. He's not a #1 guy and that was evident when Zion went out. Had one good playoff series. Fits absolutely perfectly with Maxey: has become a very efficient distributor while not being a complete zero shooting the ball like Simmons. With his contract being a tier lower than superstar, we could feasibly sign another max contract. He's still young, so even if we need to move on from Embiid, we could build around Ingram and Maxey.

I know I'm saying this on the heels of a truly horrendous playoff performance by Ingram, but now would be the time to try and get him while Pelicans are re-evaluating their core.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#130 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:51 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Hot take: I'd buy low on Ingram. He's not a #1 guy and that was evident when Zion went out. Had one good playoff series. Fits absolutely perfectly with Maxey: has become a very efficient distributor while not being a complete zero shooting the ball like Simmons. With his contract being a tier lower than superstar, we could feasibly sign another max contract. He's still young, so even if we need to move on from Embiid, we could build around Ingram and Maxey.

I know I'm saying this on the heels of a truly horrendous playoff performance by Ingram, but now would be the time to try and get him while Pelicans are re-evaluating their core.

Agreed. But what’s a buy low for you?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#131 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:55 pm

Morey definitely chases stars lol

he doesn't always get them and then pivots to shorter term deals so he can chase the next one. Spent most of his tenure here chasing Harden and now cap space for someone else.

I'm not even saying its the worst idea I just think it doesn't really work in the modern NBA and that's by design thanks to the butthurt over KD to the Warriors.

To win in the modern NBA you need at least 4 consistent players, so you can survive an off night from at least 2 of them. Our issues right now is that we NEED Biid and Maxey to put up 30+ for us to stay above water...thats not something you can rely on. The Celtics, Nuggets, Wolves, OKC and even the Knicks all have about 3-4 guys who can be counted on every night for example...those are the contenders.

Again perhaps we get TWO semi washed stars and that will be enough but idk.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,320

Post#132 » by Arsenal » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:11 pm

sixers4real wrote:Let’s imagine a scenario where we sign Siakam for max and re-sign Maxey for max.

I believe we start with $67m in open cap space with Embiid + Maxey cap hold + 1st rounder cap hold.

Sign Siakam to MAX of $42m, leaves $26m of open cap left (after adding back $1m empty roster cap hold).

That should be enough to sign two more starters with the rest of the cap room (e.g. Oubre for $10m and another guy for $18m after add back two more open roster holds of $1m each).

Then sign a 6th man with the Room Exception (Hield? Another shooter?).

That gives us 7 guys: Embiid, Maxey, 1st rounder, Siakam, Two more starters, 6th man

Also include Ricky Council who is basically a min so that makes 8 guys.

Then I assume we sign 5 vet mins to complete the roster (hopefully Lowry comes back and Batum if we're lucky).

Last move is MAXing out Maxey after all other moves are completed.

The team would be short on depth to begin with. But once the season starts and newly signed contracts are tradable, we can package players and picks to build depth.

Then the following summer we should have exceptions available to continue building the roster.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#133 » by the_process » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Hot take: I'd buy low on Ingram. He's not a #1 guy and that was evident when Zion went out. Had one good playoff series. Fits absolutely perfectly with Maxey: has become a very efficient distributor while not being a complete zero shooting the ball like Simmons. With his contract being a tier lower than superstar, we could feasibly sign another max contract. He's still young, so even if we need to move on from Embiid, we could build around Ingram and Maxey.

What if the Pelicans said "we'll give you Ingram for two 1sts, but you have to take CJ as well?"
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#134 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:47 pm

the_process wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

What if the Pelicans said "we'll give you Ingram for two 1sts, but you have to take CJ as well?"

I actually could see them saying that and I'd say "no thanks". They probably want to make room so they can put some better players around Zion.

I don't know what would be a buy low amount. 2 firsts? But they'll probably say no.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#135 » by the_process » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:50 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Agreed. But what’s a buy low for you?

I actually could see them saying that and I'd say "no thanks". They probably want to make room so they can put some better players around Zion.

I don't know what would be a buy low amount. 2 firsts? But they'll probably say no.

I could see a world where CJ goes to CHI and Vucevic to NOP as part of a 3 way deal where the Sixers get Ingram.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#136 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 pm

If they were smart, they would have made a move on Harden for Ingram since James and Zion would have been one of the most lethal duos in the league.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#137 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 pm

Arsenal wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Let’s imagine a scenario where we sign Siakam for max and re-sign Maxey for max.

I believe we start with $67m in open cap space with Embiid + Maxey cap hold + 1st rounder cap hold.

Sign Siakam to MAX of $42m, leaves $26m of open cap left (after adding back $1m empty roster cap hold).

That should be enough to sign two more starters with the rest of the cap room (e.g. Oubre for $10m and another guy for $18m after add back two more open roster holds of $1m each).

That gives us 7 guys: Embiid, Maxey, 1st rounder, Siakam, Two more starters, 6th man

Then I assume we sign 5 vet mins to complete the roster (hopefully Lowry comes back and Batum if we're lucky).

The team would be short on depth to begin with. But once the season starts and newly signed contracts are tradable, we can package players and picks to build depth.

Then the following summer we should have exceptions available to continue building the roster.

Wow. Not that bad. I like it. Let’s get Siakam then :D
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#138 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:06 pm

Negrodamus wrote:If they were smart, they would have made a move on Harden for Ingram since James and Zion would have been one of the most lethal duos in the league.

Don’t like anyone saying “if they would be smart”.
We have no idea whether Morey tried it or not. And if he tried, I’d bet the Pelicans said “no thank you”
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#139 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 pm

Arsenal wrote:

Depth is easy to take care off. The important for me is finding the perfect guy for both Maxey and Embiid.

Im open to anyone, including adding Hartenstein or Jalen Smith, but its just I think Siakam is the best fit for now.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#140 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:If they were smart, they would have made a move on Harden for Ingram since James and Zion would have been one of the most lethal duos in the league.

Don’t like anyone saying “if they would be smart”.
We have no idea whether Morey tried it or not. And if he tried, I’d bet the Pelicans said “no thank you”

I'm referring to the Pelicans. It's clear they didn't want to do that because they didn't come to the table, but Harden is the absolute best fit for the lead guard position for the NO Pelicans. A team full of defenders around him and the Amare Stoudamire (except much much better) to his Steve Nash in Zion Williamson. Barring injury, they would have been a top 4 seed in the West with a legit chance at the Finals, imo.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers