ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,327

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#681 » by Arsenal » Tue May 7, 2024 2:48 am

Fake news. Should be banned for trolling!
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#682 » by Embiid P » Tue May 7, 2024 2:49 am

MVP1992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

ONLY $14 million? What a steal! I would have thought that a zero would be added to that amount for a player of his caliber.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#683 » by MVP1992 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:51 am

Arsenal wrote:Fake news. Should be banned for trolling!

Sorry for not taking things super serious.

I'll go find a rusty razor instead.
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#684 » by sixers hoops » Tue May 7, 2024 3:17 am

phifans wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Morey did say the right thing about using cap space this offseason just now. Said we won’t waste our cap space on a long term deal just to make one and instead would make smarter short term deals and maintain flexibility for the next good opportunity. Said would only go all in if it would make us best in the East.

Yep. He won’t be “punting” on the season. Just signing shorter deals. I like that he isn’t publicly committing to aggressively signing a big name. Just be smart.

Except we don't have flexibility anymore once Maxey gets his max contract. Signing long term deals or short term deals does't matter at all. This offseason is our last shot.

Seems like either Morey has lost his mind or he just try to fool some casual fans who has no idea how cba works.

Yeah I don’t like the situation we are in, but I would rather one year deals than crippling bad contracts. Honestly, we all expected this to be the situation. With a weak free agent class, you are stuck overpaying or trying to push acquisitions down the road, so I never knew what Morey was planning.

Just guessing some rough numbers… I’m not sure what Maxey’s contract is but prob in the $50 million range in 2025, and Embiid will make in the range of $55 million, so just those two would be about $105, and the cap estimate next summer is about $155 million, but I did read projections of $165 million. Its not really feasible to make the numbers work, but is a great way to push accountability down the road another season.

I imagine he is going to end of with somebodylomg-term this summer though.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#685 » by brannigan73 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:55 am

sixers hoops wrote:
phifans wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Yep. He won’t be “punting” on the season. Just signing shorter deals. I like that he isn’t publicly committing to aggressively signing a big name. Just be smart.

Except we don't have flexibility anymore once Maxey gets his max contract. Signing long term deals or short term deals does't matter at all. This offseason is our last shot.

Seems like either Morey has lost his mind or he just try to fool some casual fans who has no idea how cba works.

Yeah I don’t like the situation we are in, but I would rather one year deals than crippling bad contracts. Honestly, we all expected this to be the situation. With a weak free agent class, you are stuck overpaying or trying to push acquisitions down the road, so I never knew what Morey was planning.

Just guessing some rough numbers… I’m not sure what Maxey’s contract is but prob in the $50 million range in 2025, and Embiid will make in the range of $55 million, so just those two would be about $105, and the cap estimate next summer is about $155 million, but I did read projections of $165 million. Its not really feasible to make the numbers work, but is a great way to push accountability down the road another season.

I imagine he is going to end of with somebodylomg-term this summer though.

Players no one has ever thought about will be made available just like every summer. Who thought the Celtics were adding Jrue Holiday this past off season or Porzingis? Thats why Morey can't run out like a drunk with a fist full of cash and fling it at the first max guy available. At the deadline he talked about wanting to wait until the offseason so he would have potentinally up to 5 firsts to use in potentially acquiring talent, in stead of 3 at the deadline, maybe he should try to use some of them to you know trade for people that arent necessarily free agents lol. Plenty of good players change teams every summer. Hopefully Paul George and Butler resign with there Clippers and Heat so Morey is forced to do some actual work and construct a real roster. There will be good players available because there are always some.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,562

Post#686 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 7, 2024 6:56 am

MVP1992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not funny lol.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#687 » by Jhawk03 » Tue May 7, 2024 7:45 am

eyeatoma wrote:
MVP1992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not funny lol.

If you really think about it, that type of contract replaces Paul Reed if they were able to beat the Knicks, thereby allowing Morey to proceed with his offseason master plan.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,802

Post#688 » by 76ciology » Tue May 7, 2024 9:11 am

It makes me wonder how good Jalen Smith really is when he can’t even get playing time in the playoffs. Obi Toppin and Isaiah Jackson are both getting PT before he does.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#689 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue May 7, 2024 9:56 am

76ciology wrote:It makes me wonder how good Jalen Smith really is when he can’t even get playing time in the playoffs. Obi Toppin and Isaiah Jackson are both getting PT before he does.

His production seems fine. I wonder if they just prefer playing smaller, more agile guys?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,132

Post#690 » by mjkvol » Tue May 7, 2024 10:57 am

brannigan73 wrote:Players no one has ever thought about will be made available just like every summer. Who thought the Celtics were adding Jrue Holiday this past off season or Porzingis? Thats why Morey can't run out like a drunk with a fist full of cash and fling it at the first max guy available. At the deadline he talked about wanting to wait until the offseason so he would have potentinally up to 5 firsts to use in potentially acquiring talent, in stead of 3 at the deadline, maybe he should try to use some of them to you know trade for people that arent necessarily free agents lol. Plenty of good players change teams every summer. Hopefully Paul George and Butler resign with there Clippers and Heat so Morey is forced to do some actual work and construct a real roster. There will be good players available because there are always some.

Thank you. This has been my point all along - the 3-4 "if we don't do then Morey is washed and the Sixers are screwed" scenarios that the public knows about are different levels of awful, and perhaps Morey knows it.

Much like buying a stock after it has peaked, paying top money for old, aging players is like shooting your wad before better, smarter deals become available. It is the classic move historically of bad franchises, and yet so many fans are ready and willing to dive in. Patience.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,132

Post#691 » by mjkvol » Tue May 7, 2024 10:59 am

MVP1992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice troll job, but it would have been easier to believe if they hadn't so obviously overpaid him.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#692 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue May 7, 2024 11:46 am

Rooting for you guys to Max PG13. Save us.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,057

Post#693 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 7, 2024 11:53 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:Rooting for you guys to Max PG13. Save us.

We already took Doc off your hands. How much trash are you going to give us?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#694 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue May 7, 2024 11:58 am

Negrodamus wrote:

We fired him before that, you guys saved us from M.Morris though. How about your old trash PJ Tucker?
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#695 » by zaz102 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:17 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

We fired him before that, you guys saved us from M.Morris though. How about your old trash PJ Tucker?
We'll take PJ back if you max Harden. Save Morey from himself.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,581

Post#696 » by youngcrev » Tue May 7, 2024 12:25 pm

Arsenal wrote:Fake news. Should be banned for trolling!

I feel like anyone dumb enough to believe it should be banned instead
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,581

Post#697 » by youngcrev » Tue May 7, 2024 12:37 pm

Paul George vs Jimmy Butler

PG is a seamless fit pretty much anywhere as a big wing with great length that defends (not at the level he used to, but still good), shoots the 3 at an elite level, and can carry lineups at times with his on ball prowess.

Jimmy on the other hand refuses to take open 3s at times and is a guy you need to cater more to offensively. On top of that he costs you assets to acquire.

...And yet, give me Jimmy all day. Because in spite of fit, and I don't really think he's a bad fit since Maxey is so damn good off ball, if you ask which guy helps you win a playoff series more I think it's pretty obviously Jimmy. He's the dog other dogs are afraid of.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,327

Post#698 » by Arsenal » Tue May 7, 2024 12:39 pm

Yeah but Jimmy costs more because you have to burn picks to get him. PG just costs money and is a better fit due to chucking 3’s efficiently.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#699 » by zaz102 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:57 pm

I like either albeit neither are ideal options but looks like the ideal situation isnt going to happen.

Feels like PG13 could slot in as the third option pretty seamlessly and seems like a better role for him at this point in his career.

I feel like Jimmy will end up giving you more in the playoffs, but will cost assets. Plus, he won't try during the regular season and will take the ball out of Maxey's hands.

I trust in Maxey. Im leaning toward PG13.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,814

Post#700 » by the_process » Tue May 7, 2024 1:00 pm

It comes down to how bad does Jimmy want out if Pat will not extend him?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers