ImageImageImage

Play in Game for the 7th seed: Heat vs Sixers...

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,051

Re: Play in Game for the 7th seed: Heat vs Sixers... 

Post#61 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm

Mik317 wrote:Ben never developed but I am not going to kill a team for choosing the guy in his second year who had just made an all NBA team and all star team

The move then was to just run it back and make decisions then. AND even then the second choice was not to sign another **** center in Horford lol. They botched it all around

I will, it was evident dude had mental issues, constantly shied away from the ball in crunch time, reduced his drive attempts as his FT% was declining more and more, refused to shoot, etc.
Now, if the same situation happened with Maxey for example? I have blamed him a lot, but it's different here, Maxey shows character and passion, going with him would've been more understandable if this was a similar situation, even if he would've declined later on like Simmons did.

We need to start understanding character and passion, it has never been only about talent.

So yes, a HUGE mistake indeed, you never appease a guy like Simmons, not worth it.

Trend is also a key thing to monitor, is the player improving? Simmons never really did, well maybe he improved on defense but that's it, on offense he was never giving any hint of improvement, more like the opposite, his stats were getting worse and worse in playoffs. Maxey on the other hand? kept improving, his potential was lower yes, but it's not all about potential.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Iscull
Junior
And1: 106

Post#62 » by Iscull » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:42 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:This game makes me nervous mostly because Spo has had a week to cook up some black magic for this game.

I think Spo is the best in the leageue, but at least we don't have Glen. Nurse can actually coach
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,772

Post#63 » by phillynative » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:47 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Stanford wrote:The Heat would get two wins off of Boston. Wouldn't be shocked if it was 3.

You're right! Once Jimmy Butler activates his playoff mode it'll be a battle. Throw in Tyler Herro canning jumpers from outside and playing with the upmost confidence..You don't want him mad! Can't forget about Bam Adeybayo either! He's going to dominate in the low post while providing the physicality of a gladiator once his playoff mode unleashes! Terry Rozier is going to want REVENGE in this game too! I hear he's really ANGRY and wants to play Boston BAD! Haywood Highsmith is a sniper from outside, Cody Martin will turn it up a notch as well. Guy has a nitrous button he's been waiting to mash! Can't forget about Delon Wright providing ELITE defense 94 feet from the bucket!
Can't sleep on Nikola Jovic either! He's a unicorn just like Porzingis and can't neutralize him in the post with his nuclear athletic abilties! Throwing in the dog mentality and the coaching prowness of a savant like Erick Spoelestra and you've yourself a fight to the finish in a series that will certainly go down as historical!

I'm just kidding...This is all just a collection of imagined stupid **** I read from posters on the GB.

8-) :D
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,862

Post#64 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:53 pm

If we can't win this game, I'm ready for the offseason. I mean, this is essentially a game 7 with enormous implications.

We play the Knicks and if we win that very winnable series, we could play a shaky Bucks or an unproven Pacers to make the ECF and finally get over that hump.

OR

We lose, then beat whichever garbage team survives the other game, then get cooked by the Celtics in the first round.

We have to start winning "must win" games in the playoffs or else we need to start re-evaluating what this team is going forward.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#65 » by Eyeamok » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:00 pm

Tyrese Maxey wanted me to let all 76ers fans know that Joel will be playing tonight. And when he (Maxey) does not have to do it all by himself he is HIM.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,772

Post#66 » by phillynative » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Another part of the Ben decision that the sixers will never acknowledge, is the marketing. Business wise the sixers were trending upward ,leaving the process behind and selling the illusion of the "Prince of philly" (Ben) and Embiid as the next huge dominant duo since Shaq and Kobe :lol: With Ben having all the hype as the next Magic or Lebron :lol: and being the younger player , the org chickened out and made the easy/soft decision instead of the harder organically basketball driven decision.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#67 » by bball4life » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Mik317 wrote:Ben never developed but I am not going to kill a team for choosing the guy in his second year who had just made an all NBA team and all star team

The move then was to just run it back and make decisions then. AND even then the second choice was not to sign another **** center in Horford lol. They botched it all around

I will, it was evident dude had mental issues, constantly shied away from the ball in crunch time, reduced his drive attempts as his FT% was declining more and more, refused to shoot, etc.
Now, if the same situation happened with Maxey for example? I have blamed him a lot, but it's different here, Maxey shows character and passion, going with him would've been more understandable if this was a similar situation, even if he would've declined later on like Simmons did.

We need to start understanding character and passion, it has never been only about talent.

So yes, a HUGE mistake indeed, you never appease a guy like Simmons, not worth it.

Trend is also a key thing to monitor, is the player improving? Simmons never really did, well maybe he improved on defense but that's it, on offense he was never giving any hint of improvement, more like the opposite, his stats were getting worse and worse in playoffs. Maxey on the other hand? kept improving, his potential was lower yes, but it's not all about potential.

Wow, a thoughtful non-derivative post. Kudos!
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#68 » by Eyeamok » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:

Good post let me add this. It's hard to understand character and passion because these players at this age are just kids. 18, 19 and 20 year olds. Their character has never been tested, all they know how to do is play basketball. Passion for the game? Sure but usually they are the best player on their team so it has come easy for the most part. The one thing most teams and everyone else can evaluate, very easily is the potential talent. They can jump, they are this tall already the measurables jump out at you right away. Then the biggest thing is,will the money change these kids. Once they start making all this money can they stay grounded and continue to develop their games. Especially when going against other professionals that have just as much talent as they do.

So yes a lot of other factors come into play but "talent"/ "potential talent" is the easiest to focus on because it's right their in your face for the most part.

And in Simmons case how soon is too soon to cut bait? Do you want to be known as the team that let go of a guy to early that became a star. Simmons would say all the right things but then come back basically the same player. And no GM wants to admit they made a mistake, that high up in the draft, so they tend to stay with their pick hoping things get better. Their feelings get in the way. Also Collars was following on the heels of Hinkie and needed to make a splash so he was going to stick with Simmons no matter what, because I believe that was his first executive decision and being right and being seen as the right man for the job was important to him
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 840

Post#69 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:

The writing on the wall should've been easily seen when his FT shooting didn't improve from year to year. That was low-hanging fruit, and if he wasn't putting forth the effort to grab that then obviously he wasn't going to put forth the effort to grab the higher-hanging version either, such as a jump shot or an overall skill set that would give him the confidence to spearhead the team in the clutch. GMs paid millions of dollars a year should have the ability to easily make those kinds of observations and determinations.

The problem again is that when you lose on purpose to obtain draft picks, you overvalue those picks.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,867

Post#70 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:37 pm

All of that is valid I'm just saying its a tougher decision than you make it out to be. Obviously you never liked Simmons so that and the knowledge of how it turned out makes it easy to say you'd make the right decision.

But even then, the better choice was to run it back and not pivot to what they pivoted to lol. Even if Ben still Ben'd it out, you;d have Jimmy still in house instead of having to pay picks to get off of Horford. AND EVEN THEN lets say it was a non starter and Jimmy had to go...making the spacing even worse AND bringing in a dude that your best player doesn't like at the expense of a guy he does anmd THEN keeping on a coach you sacked a year later anyway. That offseason they not only made the wrong choice, they like triple dipped on poor decisions lol. And like you forsaw Ben being a bitch I forsaw that **** not working too lol.

As I keep saying it is actually a miracle we are even still in a position of lying to ourselves about of contender status because the mountain of poor choices should have doomed us to lottery status.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,051

Post#71 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:30 pm

Mik317 wrote:All of that is valid I'm just saying its a tougher decision than you make it out to be. Obviously you never liked Simmons so that and the knowledge of how it turned out makes it easy to say you'd make the right decision.

But even then, the better choice was to run it back and not pivot to what they pivoted to lol. Even if Ben still Ben'd it out, you;d have Jimmy still in house instead of having to pay picks to get off of Horford. AND EVEN THEN lets say it was a non starter and Jimmy had to go...making the spacing even worse AND bringing in a dude that your best player doesn't like at the expense of a guy he does anmd THEN keeping on a coach you sacked a year later anyway. That offseason they not only made the wrong choice, they like triple dipped on poor decisions lol. And like you forsaw Ben being a bitch I forsaw that **** not working too lol.

As I keep saying it is actually a miracle we are even still in a position of lying to ourselves about of contender status because the mountain of poor choices should have doomed us to lottery status.

I'm not using hindsight, I'm literally giving you an example, Maxey, of a player who in a similar situation I would have been OK if it had to be about him or Jimmy. So take Maxey of last year, without knowing about his improvement this year. I would be ok with appeasing him over Jimmy, much more ok than with Simmons, even if he ended up turning badly. I value character a lot. With Simmons I saw bad character from miles away. With Maxey I saw great character and passion last year, probability of him improving was high due to that.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#72 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:41 pm

Chatbot
Mik317
RealGM

Post#73 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:07 pm

it was year two lol.
and you also have spent most of this very season saying Maxey isn't good lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,256

Post#74 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 pm

Stop engaging with the bot...
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#75 » by rzzzzz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote: it was evident dude had mental issues,constantly shied away from the ball in crunch time, reduced his drive attempts as his FT% was declining more and more, refused to shoot, etc.

If Sam was around for that #1 pick (which would never have happened given that the #1 was Silver’s reward to the 6ers going all in Colangelo) he might still have picked Simmons. But he would have had him reprogrammed back to shooting with his right hand, which may have involved another one of those elite facilities Sam was partial to, and definitely another coach.
. Was Jackson still with the Knicks at that point?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,256

Post#76 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Ba1xgTQnICn_7oI_YlbLbQ&s=19

That's a big ass brace.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Mik317
RealGM

Post#77 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm

ready to be hurt again

lets ride
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,764

Post#78 » by Sixersftw » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:04 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=Ba1xgTQnICn_7oI_YlbLbQ&s=19

That's a big ass brace.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Its a normal brace find a new slant.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#79 » by Dnt hate » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:04 pm

Let's go!!!!!
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Post#80 » by Murray_17 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 pm

Ready for the pain :lol:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers